Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Stuck up???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ouija2025
Msg: 2
Stuck up???Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I think you missed the mark.
But if only one guy - shake it off.
 Ainen
Msg: 4
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/4/2014 8:35:52 AM
It's good to have a long about me. Most girls have three lines or less, and the little they write is lame. Most guys will spot an incompatibility and not message you, but that's a lot better than blindly messaging someone just based on photos and short generic text.

Funny? Didn't laugh (except the words "Appalachian State" because they pulled a major upset a few years ago and were the example of a doormat team in the Longest Yard remake) but wasn't bored either. Somewhat amusing. Smart and articulate? More than most of the female profiles on this site. If I saw the equivalent profile in my area and age range, I'd be glad to be able to read a substantial about me with quality photos.

The best thing about your text is it shows your personality.

Don't know whether you're stuck up, but your writing has an attitude (especially in two of the photo captions) and you could be called a tease. Don't feign innocence if some guys write about sex. You mention sex and some of your about me might put it in their minds if they weren't already thinking about sex. Players might raise their antennae as possible prey.

You call yourself thick? Has any guy actually said you're not thin enough?

Some reviewers say don't be negative or say what you don't want, but I say it's good to save both your times if you express what you don't want, for example bearded men can avoid messaging you.

Saying he must be attractive: good of you to be honest about that, but many people who consider themselves attractive might message you and you won't find them attractive.

Apparently if you're under a certain age, the upper limit to message you is less than 14 years, so you could remove the upper limit and just have "older than..."
 ScooterSB
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/4/2014 8:57:48 AM
Do I think your stuck up from your profile, no not at all.

Do I think your profile is brilliant, not really.

I love your pictures, but you should have one of your nice headshots as your main. Havinf a bikini top on in your main will get unwanted attention from the kind of guy who just wants to look at your boobs.

Your text is a bit too long, not massively but a bit. You can easily shorten it by cutting out anything negative. Any sentence that starts with 'I dont wan't...' 'I don't like,,,' or 'I havn't...' can go. Talk about positives not negatives.

You mention sex twice, once is too much, it will again get attention from guys who just want sex.
 tennistown
Msg: 7
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/4/2014 10:57:30 AM

Stuck up???

I like a long profile, yours read fine until the last paragraph of your "About Me"

If you want an actual response, how about more than a "hey", it won't get thru anyway since my setting are there to encourage a little back and forth... if you decide to use that as a reason to complain about the settings, that doesn't really qualify as conversation in my book and you probably won't get a response.

Probably a lot of guys your age,
that are never going to look any better then they do right now,
are complacent sending very short outgoing messages.
Relying on there "looks" to get replies
more than the content of their messages.
So they call you stuck up, because you are commanding
them to do more.

That last paragraph,
does seem out of character
from the rest of your writings.

I suggest removing it.

The PoF system block
for too short a message
will kick in anyway.

No need to tell the dummys
how to bypass it
before they encounter
a tiny hurdle
to potentially meet up with a Tiny_danc3r.
Good luck!
 Ainen
Msg: 9
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/4/2014 11:20:52 AM
Forgot to say you have "prefer not to say" for the wants kids field. Pick from yes, no, undecided.

My advanced searches do not include "prefer not to say". Guys who do advanced searches might not see you. I believe it's better to be seen by people who do advanced searches than just by people who simply click on thumbnails.

Some people might assume the worst upon seeing prefer not to say, for example they might think you're about to rob a sperm bank.

I think it's good to give a heads up about the minimum message length setting because the site doesn't show it and won't let people who compose concise messages know until they've finished their short message and hit send.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 11
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/4/2014 1:07:57 PM

My intent is to come across funny, smart, and articulate. Did I miss the mark?

Yes, mark missed.

Yes it's a little long, and I'm picky but I got a reply from some guy saying he liked my profile BUT... "you seem stuck up"...

Yes, it's long (too long), yes, you're picky, and yes, you do seem stuck up.

I just rewrote my profile...

I'm wondering what it looked like before the rewrite.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 13
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/4/2014 1:46:16 PM
You seem kinda defensive - you asked and you got answers
I wouldn't open with that line -
I'd not have the dancing picture as your Main
and of course all your pictures need to be current
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 16
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/4/2014 4:06:13 PM
Hi young lady, I looked at your profile before anyone else had commented on it, wanted to give myself some time before commenting.

This has NEVER happened to me before, and I have commented on many hundreds of profiles, so congratulations, you were the first to stump me, or if you prefer render me speechless.

Reason being is on one hand I though it was very good, and on the other hand I wanted to shred it, so didn't want to make a quick comment before giving it some thought.

Yes, there were a few little things I remember that gave me the impression you were on the stuck up side of life. One of them comes to mind was where you said I think it was "one can never have too many good looking friends".

Your self description is hands down the best I have ever seen, with the possible exception of mine. VERY good job there!

I like your straight forward honesty, if everyone would write profiles like that we could ALL find what we are looking for.

I think I know the answer to this but want to be sure before I comment and suggest changes. You are beyond a doubt ONLY looking for "the one" and have no desire to date for the sake of dating?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 17
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/4/2014 5:12:08 PM
If you wanna call it being honest.. good :)
But best of luck
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 19
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/4/2014 9:13:25 PM

Oldfashmntman... YOU hit the nail on the head... I am looking for "the one"... I rarely date, I think I've been on one date in the last 3-6 months.He was a nice man, but no chemistry... I am for the most part happy in my own company... I live alone, with my dogs and cat, and my schedule has been insane, but Christmas is coming, I'll have a few weeks to actually breathe! Which is why I revamped my profile now. I'll have some time to go for coffee or dinner... In the last few months I have left my house at 7am... come home at lunch or supper to tend my animals, returned to campus then not gotten home until 11 for most of the week do to projects and rehersals... I'd like to have more time... but for me, it's the weekends only right now... and sometimes not even those! I don't have the time for dating for the sake of dating.

I'm young, I have a healthy sex drive despite being celibate for a year now... and I'd like to find someone to enjoy the free time I have instead of feeling like I'm just waiting for him to show up. I work hard, and I like to play hard.

And I did change the comment you mentioned after I relooked at my profile, just to make it more open and friendly. I am hoping the reader will get a true sense of who I am and what I want... There is a lot of concern that men are just reading and thinking about sex from the comments I made... but my thoughts are they are thinking about sex regardless, and I might as well direct that into getting them to understand what my expectations and desires are in regard to sex. I'm looking for monogamy not monotony... I am by nature a serial monogamist, I am very sexually selective having had 2 sexual partners since becoming sexually active. One was simple curiosity to see what the big deal was an the second lasted about 4 months before realizing it he wanted something very different than I did.

Most people my age deal with breakup by jumping into bed with the next best/available thing... I don't do that, and I don't want someone else who does. If I'm in, I'm all in... I don't want to be someone else's option if I make them a priority... and I also need someone who understands that my priority has to be my education FIRST, but that doesn't mean I won't switch those priorities once I am finished... I'm not expecting it to be easy... which is why I am on this board looking for some constructive feedback.

Okay, I was pretty sure about that but there are significant differences between the two goals and wanted to make sure. I am very glad you apparently understand this is NOT going to be easy, you are fishing in a VERY shallow pool, two times over.

Firstly because very few can handle in your face honesty, and secondly because you are admittedly shallow therefore will not likely give many a chance based on questionable pictures etc.

It is certainly too long without a doubt, my problem is trying to decide how I want to advise you to trim it as it doesn't contain much if any of the typical "fluff" we normally see here. I will go take another look at some point, not sure if I will get it done tonight.

Best wishes

Jerry
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 20
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/4/2014 10:01:51 PM

On again off again... the story of my life, LOL.

Keep a hard copy in case you don't like the end result. but delete this.

My goal for POF is meet a nice man and to get off this site as soon as possible.

This is what I call painfully obvious, it is assumed and goes without saying. delete

Wait, not the goals POF had in mind?Other goals... ummmm, to finish both my degrees, write a best selling novel and retire to a tropical island where the only people allowed are eye candy and reasonably intelligent... or is that my day dream? I don't know... either way, it sounds good!

Delete

Since I have not had any luck finding a man who appreciates my finer qualities, maybe knowing my bad ones will make me more appealing and approachable. Here goes!

Thinking out loud and tells us nothing. delete

If you want to entertain yourself go ahead and try it on mine... Some were done intentionally, Kudos to you if you found more than I intended.

Maybe I am just an old geezer, but that goes over my head.

Sadly, I also have morals and standards. Getting laid isn't a problem; the problem is that I while I could get laid I chose not to have indiscriminate sex. Damn my upbringing of seeing healthy sexual relationships based on respect, affection, and honesty. Why can't I just lie to myself and tell myself that it's perfectly OK. Well, I kinda do think it's OK, it might be perfectly OK for someone else, just not for me. I'm conflicted about my moral imperative, mostly because it's forced celibacy. For the record being celibate SUCKS (or not, as the case may be)...But the fact remains that I want to be in a healthy relationship before I have sex, depressing as that is, it's the way I'm wired. I don't jump into bed with the first pretty face I see. Sigh... Don't get me wrong... I am gonna look if there is something nice to look at... but it doesn't go much beyond that.

The above is too long, use some creative writing so say the same things in half the space.

I am open to making friendships though, you can NEVER have too many friends!

This is inconsistent with what you told me you want.

Also I am vain. I am not the most beautiful person on the planet, but I am still pretty blessed. Being vain means I am a little shallow. I know this about myself. I don't always like it about myself, but there it is. I like pretty things and attractive men. You may be perfectly nice, but if you aren't attractive, I'm not attracted, and that just seems like a waste of everyone's time. I'm really active and fit, so I'm looking for someone who takes good care of themselves as well.

That can be cut in about half while retaining the point with some creative writing.

I have NO tolerance for liars, or basically any of the 7 deadlys, though lying isn't a deadly sin I don't think. Hmmm, let's see, they are wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.

Crap! I just realized I am occasionally full of wrath... and pride... lust and I are old friends... Gluttony? We are merely acquaintances and only in the context of Thai food. It's a good thing I'm not a christian, I'd be bad at it! So lets recap... Greed, sloth, envy, and gluttony for the most part... all BAD, and are not my vices. The rest... wrath,lust, pride... Yep, those I'm definitely guilty of.

Delete

This profile is just a social experiment. One I don't think will be productive, but what do I know?

No no, confidence is absolutely vital to success. delete

POF wants to know what makes me unique? As if this thing wasn't long enough... let's see, I am just so god damn special, words cannot express... Hell, we are ALL unique little freaks, why else would we be here?

Tells us nothing other than to possibly reinforce your vanity which DOESN'T need reinforced. delete

But if you want details, I'm pretty outdoorsy, I like hiking, fishing, snowboarding.

We can see you are outdoorsy from your list of interests, this is that fluff I mentioned. delete

I realize when you work hard, you should definitely play hard. I'll give pretty much anything a go. This being sad, I'm also enjoy feminine pursuits like having my nails done and a great pair of heels. I like looking good, so I do my time in the gym, I really hope you do as well :) My body type is usually described as thick. I have a small waist and big hips... if you are looking for slim boy hips and like a build more like a teenaged boy than a woman, I'm not your cup of tea, and I'm OK with that. I'm strong, fit and flexible, my body does amazing things, and I like it just fine.

The first 2 sentences are cliche, the remained is pointless because you have good pictures, let them decide for themselves if they like what you call "thick", which by the way is not thick by many if not most mens definition of thick. delete

Do ya'll care that I like music, who Doesn't like it? Not me...I like music... lots of music... carolina beach music, alt rock, classic rock, folk, indie, oldies... a little of everything... even country once in a while. Classical, dub-step... it matters not, as long as it speaks to me.

VERY few man select a woman based on music, at least initially, save this for conversation. delete

I love a great conversationalist. I'm looking for a little back and forth which is why my message setting require a bit more than a "Hey"... so I hope to hear from you soon!

Pointless and makes you sound b1tchy. delete

I think it was tatersprout that also "trimmed" it for you, I didn't compare our suggestions but it would be a good idea to compare hers to mine, I strongly suspect they will have a strong similarity.

Best wishes

Jerry
 petula1908
Msg: 22
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/5/2014 1:16:38 AM
My bet is that men will just see your pics and try their luck. Most of them wont bother to trawl through that long profile, just take note of the stats and whether you are in their area etc. You will get all sorts so be prepared for anything. No way would you be considered obese anywhere, that is just crazy.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 23
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/5/2014 1:46:54 AM
I haven't really read the other replies so I'll just write about what I see in your profile. Sorry if it's already been said.

The headline - NO. Women saying the equivalent of "I'm back here again" is an immediate turn-off. Do not want to be told about your previous dating life! Same for your line sentence in your about me. Delete!

And the next 2 paragraphs, remove all talk of previous men. We DO NOT want to hear this! Well not until date #5 at least. Don't want to hear about you reading others' profiles. We DO NOT want to hear that getting laid is not a problem for you. Jeeze... I would've clicked "next" already. By the third paragraph it has simply become a rant rather than a profile. We want to hear about what makes you so good, not be ranted at!

Sorry - it's just a terrible profile. I can't imagine any decent, honest, genuine guy who is looking for a relationship, would react positively to this profile. You're fishing with cyanide not worms. You'll put off all the good guys, yet still receive messages form the bad ones because they don't even read the profile anyway.

Wrong tactic completely. Scratch and restart.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 25
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/5/2014 3:11:20 AM
Yes you do come across as smart and humorous. Your profile is composed well, and it is honest and genuine. Whether you actually are stuck up, or just confident is up to the reader to believe.

But really I doubt you are trying to get attention with the profile. You are trying to filter to your standards. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with your profile in terms of practical application.

The guys that get butthurt about it are going to be the insecure ones anyway.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 27
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/5/2014 3:40:07 AM
^^ Well I can only assume it has changed considerably since you viewed it. Right now it's a cesspit of horrible negativity and bitterness. If I were looking, and in the right area and age group, there is no way in hell I'd respond to that profile. I'd get halfway through the ranting second paragraph (not to mention the third!!) and click the "NEXT" button.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 28
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/5/2014 4:59:38 AM
Actually there is nothing wrong with her profile, she has a strong personality and she enjoys being herself. I think her profile is entertaining, and I think it is a refreshing read.

She doesn't need to cater to men. The way this website works is that if you're an attractive women, you will probably be receiving a message from just about every guy within 50 miles of your zip code. Quality is her problem, not quantity.
 SHS24
Msg: 30
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/5/2014 7:19:29 AM
Was this supposed to be a dating profile or a novel? Got about a few sentences into the third paragraph before I got bored and clicked it closed lol.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 32
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/5/2014 7:51:43 AM
Not really sure why you're posting in profile reviews. If you like what you have then keep it. It's your profile - there's no prizes for winning our approval. Results are all that count.

I think what you've written in that post - at least the first few paragraphs from "I am one of..." - would make a much better profile :) But it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks. If you're getting the results you desire then carry on. If not... time for a rethink.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 34
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/5/2014 9:18:01 AM
Hi OP, here is a little more food for thought, if I remember correctly you do not like beards, which is perfectly fine.

However, I also get the impression a man with a beard accompanied by a profile you liked wouldn't get a reply based on the beard alone, could be wrong there.

My point is this, IMO it would be youthful foolishness to disqualify someone based on something that could be so easily changed.

I have had a beard all my life, could count the times I have ever been clean shaven on 1 hand. BUT, if the woman for me came along and didn't like beards I would lose it without a second thought. Granted, not all men would feel this way, all I am saying is I would encourage you to consider the possibilities before "ignoring" other desirable traits based on something that superficial.

Best wishes

Jerry

PS I am looking forward to reading your final version.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 35
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/5/2014 10:17:09 PM
Delete:

Since I have not had any luck finding a man who appreciates my finer qualities, maybe knowing my bad ones will make me more appealing and approachable. Here goes! I spend far too much time reading profiles and playing " that's what he said" to entertain myself. My friends often comment that for such a nice girl I have an awfully dirty mind.Who knew morals and smut could co-habitat so well. If you want to entertain yourself go ahead and try it on mine... Some were done intentionally, Kudos to you if you found more than I intended.

Delete:

Sadly, I also have morals and standards. Getting laid isn't a problem; the problem is that I while I could get laid I chose not to have indiscriminate sex. Damn my upbringing of seeing healthy sexual relationships based on respect, affection, and honesty. Why can't I just lie to myself and tell myself that it's perfectly OK. Well, I kinda do think it's OK, it might be perfectly OK for someone else, just not for me. I'm conflicted about my moral imperative, mostly because it's forced celibacy. For the record being celibate SUCKS (or not, as the case may be)...But the fact remains that I want to be in a healthy relationship before I have sex, depressing as that is, it's the way I'm wired. I don't jump into bed with the first pretty face I see. Sigh... Don't get me wrong... I am gonna look if there is something nice to look at... but it doesn't go much beyond that. I am open to making friendships though, you can NEVER have too many friends!

Delete:

Also I am vain. I am not the most beautiful person on the planet, but I am still pretty blessed. Being vain means I am a little shallow. I know this about myself. I don't always like it about myself, but there it is. I like pretty things and attractive men. You may be perfectly nice, but if you aren't attractive, I'm not attracted, and that just seems like a waste of everyone's time. I'm really active and fit, so I'm looking for someone who takes good care of themselves as well.

Delete:

I have NO tolerance for liars, or basically any of the 7 deadlys, though lying isn't a deadly sin I don't think. Hmmm, let's see, they are wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.

Delete:

POF wants to know what makes me unique? As if this thing wasn't long enough... let's see, I am just so god damn special, words cannot express... Hell, we are ALL unique little freaks, why else would we be here?

This is the pits. DELETE!!!!

My body type is usually described as thick. I have a small waist and big hips... if you are looking for slim boy hips and like a build more like a teenaged boy than a woman, I'm not your cup of tea, and I'm OK with that. I'm strong, fit and flexible, my body does amazing things, and I like it just fine.

You sound jealous of women with small hips. Get rid of it. Your entire profile makes you sound negative, critical, and insecure. It needs to be totally revamped.
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/6/2014 5:20:02 AM
Ok just to clarify something before my reply, i always read a persons profile first, which i did with yours, but unlike other threads i've posted on i couldn't handle reading your whole threads posts as reads more like an exercise in creative writing,

so moving forward that this is a genuine query and not as you put it a social experiment:

your profile is mega long winded, i get that your looking to inject humor into your writing, but theres no need to
try and fit it into every sentence,

good humor like sarcasm, can be very appealing to others, but over-doing it can also be a major turn off,
the box where it says ABOUT ME: told me virtually nothing about you, was about to close the profile, then found few
kernels of who you are as a person in last bit titled what makes me unique,

then more rambling in 1st date box,

i myself got a long profile, but serious as well as humor,

yours isn't a profile, as much as its a social experiment,

ps better accepting a guys PERSPECTIVE on your profile, and save the PRESPECTIVE for times when you looking to sell instead
 ScooterSB
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/6/2014 6:02:03 AM
My honest opinion is there are kind, sweet, honest, funny, intelligent, good looking, passionate, romantic guys who will be turned away by this profile.

If you happy with that, fine, if not then it needs an overhaul.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 38
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/6/2014 7:14:36 AM

My honest opinion is there are kind, sweet, honest, funny, intelligent, good looking, passionate, romantic guys who will be turned away by this profile.

If you happy with that, fine, if not then it needs an overhaul.

I agree, but the OP has already stated she is fine with that, I asked her basically that same thing before I gave her my breakdown.

Yes, it will NO doubt keep many moving, but on the other hand the man for her is not likely to "miss" her because of a vague profile.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 40
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/6/2014 6:43:13 PM
Your continuing to argue makes you seem insecure
I have Model friends so take my word
You aren't all you might think you are
the fact you speak of getting laid is easy for you makes me think
you speak from experience
Pride goes before a Fall
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 41
Stuck up???
Posted: 12/6/2014 6:49:51 PM
K I find this hilarious because I make a living with my rather broad hips and it couldn't be further from the truth... I have a BIG ass and wide hips... for me this is honesty and from what I have learned from my last time on POF is that there are some men who are very interested in a particular body type that I happen to have and there are other men who want slender women more like you see in a magizine... I am 5' tall, and have curves like a roller coaster... again I am not looking for a man who likes my personality, but wants me to change my appearance to fit into a smaller dress size. At this point in my life I am in the gym/dance studio about 15-20 hours a week, if my hips aren't small now, they are never going to be... its just not going to happen, lol... it's far from jealousy, it's the truth... young men are extremely visually oriented, so when I say this it's simply to say this is what I look like... There was some confusion about the term "thick" look it up in Urban Dictionary... it's a term that people my age are going to be able to look at and understand...

So does this sentence in your profile mean that a woman can only look womanly if she has big hips in proportion to the rest of her body? That those of us who have smaller hips in proportion to the rest of our bodies do not, in fact, look womanly, but rather, look like teen-aged boys? vvvvv

My body type is usually described as thick. I have a small waist and big hips... if you are looking for slim boy hips and like a build more like a teenaged boy than a woman, I'm not your cup of tea, and I'm OK with that.

You can talk about having big hips in a way that doesn't insult other women that don't have them. What you're doing is the equivalent of bragging about having big breasts, while saying women with small breasts don't look womanly. If you wouldn't put down women that have small breasts, why should it be okay for you to put down women with small hips?

Not only are you thick in the azz, you sound thick in the head, too.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Stuck up???