Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > How can one determine what pictures are good pictures for a profile?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KingJustinian
Msg: 1
How can one determine what pictures are good pictures for a profile?Page 1 of 1    
I've been trying online dating for the past 2 years and have only been lucky enough to get one date. I also get minimal responses back from my messages. I typically do get a profile view when I send out a message but consistently no response. I wish you could tell how far someone gets in your profile before they leave. Do they nope out after the pictures? Do they make it all the way to the bottom?

I've changed up my description from medium to short to long to short to ADD friendly but that had no effect good or bad. I'm pretty sure it's my pictures causing trouble because I know they're not so great. Plus I have different items written on here and but the same pictures on both and I see the same no response behavior on both.

This brings me to my question: How can one determine what pictures are good pictures for a profile? I have well over 50 pictures of me sitting on my hard drive but they're all not good. I feel like I smile weirdly and my cheeks and my eyebrows don't look right when I smile. I just feel like I have real difficulties finding good pictures of me. And the more pictures I take that don't look good gets me more frustrated. Does anyone have rules they follow when they take pictures or rules of how to determine what pictures get posted? Or suggestions on how to get better pictures that women will find attractive?
 Forums_only
Msg: 2
How can one determine what pictures are good pictures for a profile?
Posted: 12/5/2014 9:14:01 PM
There are literally dozens of threads on photos on these forums. You can check them out yourself. In the meantime, a main photo with just you, shoulders up, smiling, outdoors or really good lighting, no sunglasses/cap would be best. We seriously don't care if you think you look 'wierd' when you smile. Nobody here knows you, so you'll just look like someone fun and approachable.

Young women on these type of sites get offers for threesomes all the time. When she gets a message from what looks like a couple, she is going to delete it without opening it.

The current version will not promote conversation. ... and why do you have two profiles here???
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/5/2014 9:18:25 PM
Seriously OP? You spend a grand total of 2 minutes writing a profile then come here and ask us for many combined hours of advice on what to do better?

There are both profile tips and picture tips available for your review, go read them, make at least a half a$$ed effort then come back to THIS thread and ask again.

Best wishes

Jerry
 petula1908
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/5/2014 9:34:34 PM
Profile is woeful, no real information. Mention some interests, what sort of woman you are looking for and suggest a first date scenario.

Why post a pic of your sis on here? You are the one looking to date. If you don't smile, it will be offputting to many, so load them. The pics you have I imagine are realistic and you cant change what you look like. So accept it. You are not ugly.
 KingJustinian
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/5/2014 9:42:15 PM
I only have one profile here. I have another one on a pof competitor. They removed the name from the post. It rhymes with cupid.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2014 12:55:36 AM
Doesn't matter that it's your sister, a main photo with your arm round a woman is bad.

You have a nice smile and your a good looking guy, so don't worry about weird cheeks or whatever. Man up, it's just a photo.

Good photos are:
Taken with a good quality camera/very good cellphone
Arn't mirror selfies (normal selfies can work, but need to be good)
Show you and no one else
Have nothing blocking your face (hats, sunglasses, shadows etc)
Smiling
Show you enjoying life, and tell a story of who you are
Have variety (If the photos all look the same it's boring)
 Ainen
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/6/2014 4:36:59 AM
My Best Face is a photo rating feature on your other dating site. I believe a rating of 60 or higher is a sign of a good photo.

You can rotate your main photos and see which get more views. Might be easier to do on the other site which allows 10 free photos.

This site's photo rating feature is now a system to flag inappropriate photos. In ancient times you could enable "rate me". Viewers could give a number from 1 to 10. Your results were shown by the age and gender of voters.

Having a really short about me is not good.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/6/2014 4:51:18 AM
I don't understand your stubbornness about the main photo. Your sister doesn't belong in any of your photos that are published on a dating site. It's you who is here to find dates -- not her.

you also mentioned you fluctuated between long and short profile write ups; but too short -- at first read -- indicates you're not serious. Write a longer, more interesting profile and get some photos of yourself and only of yourself that are clear, and then I'll see what's going on. (I want to see your longer "about me" write up.)

You're not ugly and you have a nice smile; but your quality of photos are insufficient.
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/6/2014 8:31:17 AM
A picture with your sister as the main is a terrible idea. Many women will not even open your profile, thinking you're a couple seeking a third or she's your ex that you are still in love with. Your smile is great, especially when you look directly at the camera and you're not in the shadows. I suggest you put up a bunch of different photos, rotate them regularly and see which gets the most response.

Keeping this short to help foster conversation.
You have said as much to her as a brick wall did. Nothing kills a conversation like only one person doing the conversing. You want to start a dialogue, not a monologue.
 Forums_only
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/6/2014 9:32:12 AM

Plus I have different items written on here and but the same pictures on both and I see the same no response behavior on both.

You can see how I was confused about you having two profiles as you day say 'different items written on here'.

The guidelines for acceptable photos are posted in the same place you would have uploaded your photos. Beyond anything else, until you lose the photo of you with your sister, women are not going to look twice.

Then you have to actually write a profile that gives them a reason to want to respond to your messages. Let us know when you're done.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/7/2014 12:12:04 PM

Studies show, and logic confirms, that pictures of male models work best for men on online dating sites.

Does anyone have rules they follow when they take pictures

Remove lens cover.
Point and click.

Honestly, though, it's a tough time all around on dating sites right now.
Best advice I can give a guy is to use as much humor as possible in profile and messages, since that used to work well, and hope that it comes back in vogue soon.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/7/2014 12:18:47 PM
KingJustinian...welcome to the Profile Reviews forum.
Your picture with you and cute ex-girlfriend is nice. She is very attractive.
In all seriousness, your main pic should be ONLY you. Nobody else!

Additionally, have a friend take two dozen well-lit, OUTDOOR, crisp photographs using a high-quality digital camera...which is preferred over a fuzzy cellphone. This is primarily due to better ergonomics and superior capability of a camera to process available light. Include a variety of backgrounds, activities, and various articles of clothing to add greater interest. Make sure there are enough without hats, costumes, or sunglasses. Have both close-ups and full-body images. Upload the best pics of the bunch. Ensure you continue to date and caption each...to make them more entertaining to read. Good luck with your romantic search. :-)
 Forums_only
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/7/2014 10:20:58 PM
So you've got a MUCH better main photo. You must be working hard on a better profile. I can hardly wait!
 KingJustinian
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/15/2014 9:37:35 PM
Ok, let's try this again please. I uploaded several new photos and elongated the about me section. Does the black and white photo need to go? I wanted a full body shot since the one with my sister got nixed.
 petula1908
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/15/2014 9:51:26 PM
Seriously they are your new pics??. None of them is good except your main.
 KingJustinian
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:21:20 PM
Why isn't the camel one good?
 ozsealady1
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/16/2014 4:27:16 AM
The pictures that are good for a profile are the ones of you that are recent and that get you the results you seek.

If what you have is not working, try some others.
 Forums_only
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/16/2014 7:20:52 AM
The new photos are fine. Do add more when you can.
 KingJustinian
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/16/2014 5:48:14 PM
No one has any feedback on my about me section? I had a lot of pushback with the old version.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/16/2014 5:52:57 PM
Hi OP, your profile lacks personality, I recommend at least 2 unique traits for both you and the woman you seek, using each word in a well constructed sentence.

Have you seen the profile tips at the top of the page in green?
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > How can one determine what pictures are good pictures for a profile?