Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > What does it take for a "good" profile?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 goodguy9906
Msg: 1
What does it take for a "good" profile?Page 1 of 1    
I would appreciate some feedback on my profile, please. I've sent messages to women that it seems like we have stuff in common, and more often than not, they view my profile, but never respond. So, I'm wondering....is it my pics? is it my description?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 2
What does it take for a good profile?
Posted: 12/7/2014 5:04:44 PM
Well removing all the "good guy" references for a start
and you are the expert on Good Guy behaviour 'cause
I just removed the good and wrote in player
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2014 5:05:05 PM
The first impression, your pictures, is not good. the first two don't even show you. You can see in the third (I can) a really good, kind vibe, so I'd get some clear close ups and make sure you can see your eyes clearly.

That was my first and second impression, and seeing that, getting to the text with all the "good guy" stuff was so much that it leaned (for me) towards overkill. I'd get rid of all of that because it doesn't really say anything about you anyways. That can work against you because dating veterans tend to get cynical and believe that someone is asserting "too much" that they are (or aren't) something it can indicate something opposite. It might be a good "selling point" in dating, but overdone it tends to feel like a bit of trouble (guys who say "I'm a good guy, why are women picking the losers?). It just doesn't help you much.

Instead, I would tell people about you and they will get a sense of your qualities, values, etc. that way.

What does it take for a good profile? One thing that I like when I read a profile is having the sense that the person is talking directly to me.

How long have you been dating online?
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/7/2014 5:08:11 PM
Hi OP, not good on either count.

Check out the profile tips at the top of the page in green.

Follow the guide lines, then post back to THIS thread and someone will help you tweak it.

Best wishes

Jerry
 2015LadyLove
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/7/2014 5:28:05 PM
We know what a good guy is we don't need a list. What we are looking for is proof that you are one :) but as said above if I came across your profile I'd think you were trying too hard to make us think you are and yes "player" comes to mind.
 goodguy9906
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/7/2014 5:31:33 PM
On and off for about 4 years....
 goodguy9906
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/7/2014 5:33:13 PM
Thanks all for the input....looks like I'm back to the "drawing board" :-)
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/7/2014 5:43:39 PM
You have one photo with a bunch of people in it. Are they all looking for dates too? Will they be going with you when you're on a date? Yikes! Maybe that photo is why the women aren't responding to your messages.

Mostly your profile is a copy of Guy Facts and you added in (good) and a couple of others to make it your own but its still pretty much plagiarized. You need to put some effort into your profile, not copy something that's kind of silly.

I think the main reason women aren't responding to you is because you have set up POF blockers for women you will and will not receive messages from. You want a woman between 35 and 48. The women in their 40's who look at that are thinking you probably really want a younger woman so they won't respond. Then you also have must live in the United States and within 75 miles of Tacoma. How many foreign countries are within 75 miles of Tacoma. And don't try talking us into believing that Canada is within 75 miles. I've driven I-5 dozens of times and its over 100 miles from the US/Canada border crossing at Blaine. Anyway you sound paranoid that all these women from all these foreign countries inside 75 miles of Tacoma are going to be flooding your mailbox with messages. Even if a woman falls within the parameters of your restrictions she's probably not going to bother responding. You might want to consider removing those restrictions and seeing if that helps. But until you fix your About Me with something original and about you, most women will pass.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2014 6:26:44 PM
I definitely agree with removing the upper limit on your age restriction (or set it at 99 :). I'd also agree that it would be good to remove the distance. You can filter those things in your inbox. Sometimes things happen. I saw someone I "knew" I was to meet and had a really hard time making contact because of his distance and picture restrictions (but that's easy, you just pop one in to get the first contact through).

People have strong opinions on whether or not there should be family photos in their profiles. I like it. There's a lot of positive body language going on between you and the two on your right side. If the person on your left is someone you've dated I'd crop that out. If she's not and you want to keep it in, I'd label the photo so people don't assume it's an X. The body language between the two of you different than with the other two, IMO.
 petula1908
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/7/2014 6:36:57 PM
Pics are bad and I would reload clear smiling shots and without other people in them. It may not make much difference but give it a try. Yes get rid of the all the "good" guy references, it is tedious and women make up their own minds what is "good".
 Forums_only
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/7/2014 9:59:28 PM
- great smiling head shots that are not selfies
- clear photos, preferably outdoors, and photos of you doing something (you're halfway there)
- completed stats
- interests field that is not full of generic words
- profile body with personality and humour
- if you work - what do you enjoy about it?
- if you have kids - how many/how old/how often

This: that it seems like we have stuff in common, is difficult because other than the random Interests list there's no way for a woman to gage your personality or humour. The current version is definitely not a 'cookie cutter' profile but it really leaves out a lot of detail a mature woman would want to know if considering dating you. It also gives off a bit of a desperation vibe and veers into the slightly creepy - this is all stuff that comes naturally in a mature relationship, but how bout just aiming for the coffee date first?

There's probably a good chance you could remove your email restrictions and not be flooded with too many incoming messages to deal with. If someone does brave an introduction, reply or not, as you see fit.

Your profile is not set in stone. Change it out every once in a while and see what works best.
 goodguy9906
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/14/2014 8:19:20 AM
They are all 3 my kids....
 Forums_only
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/14/2014 9:42:32 AM
Those kids' faces have no legit reason to be on an adult online dating profile. Seriously, that's a HUGE embarrassing faux pas, and very sad that a site like this lets people post photos of underage children. Save those faces for someone who has earned the privilege and remove the photo. It's the classy thing to do.
 goodguy9906
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/14/2014 11:01:56 AM
Updated the "about me"....and deleted photo as advised. Will upload better pics soon....
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/14/2014 11:11:57 AM

By "good" profile, I take it you mean one that gets responses/messages, so:

Studies have shown-

For men:

1) 6 feet tall
2) Male model
3) Drives a Ferrari (with pic of same)

For women:

1) Cleavage

Everything else is just a crapshoot.
With REALLY long odds at the present time.

Carry on.
 goodguy9906
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/14/2014 12:12:19 PM
Added new photos....
 CTRLvector
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/14/2014 3:25:00 PM
A good profile?
Well as a guy…
You want to look like Keanu Reeves or better. But you don’t want brown hair, because brunettes are like second class white people. So if you’re not blonde, might be out of luck. Alright, now you want to be as close to 6’ as possible, and look like Thor. But… Do you go with a manly beard? Or clean shaven? Well that’s a pickle man, both have potential, both could be looked at negatively.
For a girl…
Halfway decent works, just don’t be overweight.
Ahhh vanity, such a lovely thing.
What makes good profile content are flattering pictures, a few well written paragraphs that highlight what you got going for you. Interests, whatever.
Good luck :D
 petula1908
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/14/2014 6:20:09 PM
Big mistake to include your kids on a dating site. You are the one looking to date. Pics of family can come later when you have some kind of physical connection.

Are you contacting women that have a few extra pounds as well by the way??

Clear smiling pics are the way to go as women judge you primarily by those and the common interests mean nothing if there is no attraction.
 Forums_only
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/14/2014 7:18:52 PM
You really did make a good effort!

Still need a shoulders up smiling head shot as a main. (nag, nag, nag...)

The info on the kids can stop after the first sentence and that you see them on weekends. Everything else is just fluff at this point. Although - it would be a nice touch to maybe mention the grandbaby, a viewer may use that as an opening for conversation.

It's not a goal for your kids to be happy, it's your job as a parent and assumed. Good luck on the house, though!

It would be good to close off the profile with a bit of info on who you're looking for. "The lady I'd like to meet would be ... (non-cliché description of personality)" If you are open to someone with a child(ren) at home, mention it.

You really have potential for this.
 goodguy9906
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/14/2014 7:20:03 PM
As stated earlier...I deleted the pic with the kids, and added a few new ones taken today.

And yes, I do try and contact women that have a few extra pounds...I actually prefer that over anything else. At 6'1" and 225, I'm not a small guy, and don't expect or want skinny....

Now that I've revamped pretty much all of my profile, could someone please give some feedback on the changes? Thanks :-)
 Forums_only
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/14/2014 7:29:48 PM
(see my message just above yours)
 goodguy9906
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/14/2014 8:34:01 PM
Lol, it came in as I was writing :-) Thank you, on the right track now.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > What does it take for a "good" profile?