Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile review      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 knnrock
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Profile reviewPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
hi ladies, I would really appreciate your input on my page. Just like so many other people I see on here, I've not really had a lot of luck so a refresh to my page may be in order.

Thanks again.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Profile review
Posted: 12/8/2014 4:09:33 PM
"Just Ask" is not a profession, you have been asked, that's what that box is for.

Women do genuinely want to know what you do for a living, it's a good way of telling a persons lifestyle and how financially stable a person is.

Most women here want a man who is passionate and romantic, and is committed to making their new relationship work so can make time for them, make them a priority in life.........So, lets see how you start your profile.

I'm basically just your down to earth kind of guy. I do think it is hard to meet the right one, because we are all so busy these days. In addition to that, I travel a lot with my job which can make it even more difficult to meet the right person. But, there is still hope.

I don't think any woman has every said "I'm looking for a basic down to earth guy". Yet so many guys use it on their profile like it some brilliant selling point. Women do no want down to earth, that sounds very close to dull and boring. Women want special and unique, 1 in a million guy. Women want passion, romance, adventure and excitement. Forget down to earth and talk about these things.

You also make it sound like you are too busy to date and that even if you started dating it is likely to be broken up with lots of you travelling for you non-specific job. What is the incentive for a woman to date you? Why should a woman date you if you are going to jet off to join the rest of your Columbian drug cartel at the drop of the hat?

Instead talk about what it is like to date you, how romantic you can be, how you can make a woman feel special and wanted and let her know she will be a priority in your life?
 tatersprout
Msg: 3
Profile review
Posted: 12/8/2014 4:46:57 PM
Hi Shannon,

Men are allowed to comment here too.

Ok, pics first.
Delete everything with POF logo--they are very old.
Looks like you have a travelogue of selfies and alone photos that would make me wonder if you have friends.
If you just look at the row of pics, 6 of them look the same with only a background change.
Seems more like you want to show you travel to many places but the quality isn't great.
Composition is important.
Nobody wants to see an overweight man behind a stack of onion rings and mozzarella sticks.

I'm basically just your down to earth kind of guy. I do think it is hard to meet the right one, because we are all so busy these days. In addition to that, I travel a lot with my job which can make it even more difficult to meet the right person. But, there is still hope.
Sounds desperate.
And like Scooter said, boring.

If there is anything else you would like to know, I'm an open book - so feel free to drop me a message. I find that even if we only talk for a little while, its great to just meet new poeple.
It's up to you to seem like some she wants to know better.
Don't ask for messages.
Women are here for dates not friends, just like you. You want romantic interest.
As the man, you are stuck writing the messages anyway...not many women make first contact.

What is there about you that sets you apart from other men?
You travel a lot and that is interesting and exciting, yet you made it sound boring and ordinary.

Enthusiasm and excitement will draw in your reader.
Bring this to life!

Do you avoid the profession question because you're a spy or assassin? Those jobs require travel, too.

Write about your personality and elaborate on an interest or two.
You must have the chance to sample many cuisines, observe cultures, see historic sites.
Be specific when you tell us and act like you enjoyed it.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 4
Profile review
Posted: 12/8/2014 6:30:45 PM
I agree^^^^

Please state your profession.
Just ask translates to unemployed.

Many of your photos are old, not of you or you are pulling in your chin making your double chin very prominent.

The restaurant photo of you is lovely. A real smile and your chin is out. Your one chin.
Except for all the fried food.

The picture with the bird also has a lovely smile but is old.

Please get a friend to take some new pictures.

May I also suggest that you not wear light fabric shirts in your photos.
Heavier cotton is much more attractive.
Also one of your full body shots has your shirt half untucked.
I also prefer the non tucked in look on larger men.
Shows your good bits to advantage.

Why do you travel?
For work?
For holidays?
What are your favorite places?
Why?

How about a shot of you driving your convertible rather than its dashboard.

I love your outfit in the Texas station photo. You look handsome and relaxed.
That really suits you. One colour, heavier fabric, leather.... very flattering.
Keep that as a full body shot.

If you wore that outfit to a first date I, and I am sure more age appropriate ladies would be very happy.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 5
Profile review
Posted: 12/8/2014 9:05:21 PM
My 3 co-workers have covered it quite well, I would suggest following the advice given by them.

Best wishes

Jerry
 knnrock
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Profile review
Posted: 12/9/2014 9:08:14 AM
Thank you for the frank review. I did want to say... The comment about guys being allowed... I agree, they can comment if they choose... But ultimately, they are not my market demographic.... So, there opinion is important... But those of the ladies, quite honestly, carry more weight.

Anyway, thanks again and have a merry Christmas.
 knnrock
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Profile review
Posted: 12/9/2014 9:23:26 AM
Lol... Well, I'm very good on a pc.. But 10 mins is not quite enough time for me to make the changes. Take care.
 tatersprout
Msg: 8
Profile review
Posted: 12/9/2014 9:32:36 AM

The comment about guys being allowed... I agree, they can comment if they choose... But ultimately, they are not my market demographic.... So, there opinion is important... But those of the ladies, quite honestly, carry more weight.
To borrow a line from another reviewer, would you ask the lion or the gazelle for advice on the hunt?
Yes, women know what they like to see in a profile, but the men know what works ;)

From your responses to Jen, I assume you are less than pleased with the advice and are done here?
Let us know so that people don't waste their time.
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 9
Profile review
Posted: 12/9/2014 9:45:04 AM
Aside from the photo of the interior of your car, your photos are pretty good. You want to remove that car interior photo because you're not in it. Most women don't care what your dashboard looks like. Why don't you post a photo of your car with you standing beside it so we can see what it looks like?

Your profession is "just ask" - translates to unemployed. That's a pass for most women. You've lost them right there. Why should we ask? You should have just answered the question so we don't have to ask. We want to have some idea of your profession and that also gives us an idea of whether or not he's in a compatible income and ambition level. For example say your just ask profession is a butcher and you've planned a meet up with a vegetarian. She'll be horrified and you've just wasted her time and yours. What if your ask me profession is flipping burgers at a fast food joint and the bank manager who you've scheduled a meet up with can see that clearly you're at different and incompatible income levels and ambition. What if your ask me profession is a long distance truck driver and the woman looking at your profile is a homebody who wants her man home every night. No woman is going to waste her time contacting a man with a shady answer for his profession.

You need more interests. Try to beef it up to at least 9 interests.

Rather than using up space in your About Me talking about places you've traveled to, why not use this space to talk about places you want to travel to? That way a woman reading your profile can see if you have any common destinations and she can put herself in the picture with you. Your profile is pretty bland. Nothing jumps out. You have to write about things you're passionate about, the things you'd like to do with your special someone, the types of adventure you seek. A woman wants to see herself in the picture with you, not what she's missed out on.

But I think you've lost most women on the "just ask" for the profession and she won't get as far as reading your profile.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Profile review
Posted: 12/9/2014 2:05:03 PM

Thank you for the frank review. I did want to say... The comment about guys being allowed... I agree, they can comment if they choose... But ultimately, they are not my market demographic.... So, there opinion is important... But those of the ladies, quite honestly, carry more weight.

If I was undertaking any new project, or if I was struggling with a project of any kind, I would want to get advice from people who had done it before and had done it well.

Surely advice from guys who have good profiles, and have a high level of responses to messages they send out is invaluable. I tend to get a reply to a message at lest 50% of the time. Surely I, and the guys on the forums who have decent profile, are exactly the kind of people you should want to hear from. In fact we can often give better advice to men as it is impartial, our judgement is not clouded by if we would want to date you or not.

Do not consider men's advice better or worse, but equal and looking at things from a different angle.

Lol... Well, I'm very good on a pc.. But 10 mins is not quite enough time for me to make the changes. Take care.

Cos typing in your job takes longer than ten mins?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 11
Profile review
Posted: 12/9/2014 2:24:33 PM
Yikes - well that opener going to have them clicking next. It is true btw, so unless you are the Equalizer or a Ninja just put down what you do - no need to state the company, etc.
You repeat the same words too often - try to mix it up. Be careful to fix your grammar and typos
Not sure why you asked for a review as you seem pretty rigid. People have offered you some excellent advice.
Not nice to make digs at the reviewers either.. especially since anyone can view your posting history.
Good luck
 tennistown
Msg: 12
Profile review
Posted: 12/9/2014 4:33:42 PM

hi ladies, I would really appreciate your input

I'm no lady.
I can give you some friendly profile advice.

You're not beginning on the wrong foot.
You seem to have tripped and are awkwardly
floundering, at the start of your dating profile.
You should want to begin on the right foot, yes?

About Shannon
Hi,

I've had several comments from people about my job.... I prefer not to say what I do.... Simply because a drop down box doesn't explain it very well. If we chat, I'll explain it then. Just rest assured, I have a good job, own my own place, cars, etc. (not that I'm bragging.... But people on pof seem to think if you have "just ask" for your job, then you surely must be unemployed). Anyway, I'll get off my soap box.

IDK anybody that can read that first paragraph and can
"just rest assured"
about anything you might say after that.

You seem evasive and a little dodgy with excuses in that opening.
You're looking for a travel partner?
I hope you don't attempt that strategy when asked by "Customs" what you do.

Unless the thought of being detained
and receiving a full body cavity search
is high on your bucket list of quirky pleasures.

Rubber gloves
and a strangers touch
is your brand of fun?

Almost anything is better than... Just ask.
Ask anybody!
 ozsealady1
Msg: 13
Profile review
Posted: 12/9/2014 8:54:46 PM
I've had several comments from people about my job.... I prefer not to say what I do.... Simply because a drop down box doesn't explain it very well. If we chat, I'll explain it then. Just rest assured, I have a good job, own my own place, cars, etc. (not that I'm bragging.... But people on pof seem to think if you have "just ask" for your job, then you surely must be unemployed). Anyway, I'll get off my soap box.

WOW^^^^^
That is the one of the worst opening lines you can have.

I prefer not to be too specific about my job as I have had people google my first name and profession and find out all about me.
Mainly IT types.

So I keep it vague.

You can too.

Just ask, not unemployed and rarely wear a suit???

Are you:
A hit man?
A professional thief?
A drug smuggler?
Professional gambler?
Quality control or training officer in a brothel?
Recruiter for 21st century sex or other slaves?
Refugee people smuggler?

Considering you have deleted the photo I liked it is obvious that my opinion is not worth considering.
 knnrock
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Profile review
Posted: 12/10/2014 12:47:20 PM
Lol... Ok, for those of you on here giving me crap about my job.... I'm a Btmls manager.... Now, please tell me... Isn't it just easier.... To wait until I can actually explain? By the way... Btmls.... Bi modal transoceanic material and logistics supervisory manager... Hope that clears things up.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 15
Profile review
Posted: 12/10/2014 1:35:20 PM

Lol... Ok, for those of you on here giving me crap about my job....

Just to clarify, NOBODY is giving you anything about your job, they are simply trying to help you understand how "not listing one" WILL be perceived by a very high percentage of ladies.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Profile review
Posted: 12/10/2014 1:45:53 PM

Profession: Logistics supervisory manager

Is that so hard?
 tennistown
Msg: 17
Profile review
Posted: 12/10/2014 2:18:50 PM
Bi modal transoceanic material and logistics supervisory manager.
Now, please tell me... Isn't it just easier.... To wait until I can actually explain?

Easier?
Easier for you, sure it is!

But writing your profile to get replies
does not often happen
by taking the easy way out.

If you want results.....
I suggest you use that grey squishy stuff
between your ears and write a very good profile.

That means dotting your "I's"
and crossing your "T's."
Also putting something effective
into the profession portion of your profile.

You have already been trying "easy."
How has that been working for you lately?

Profession -- Management

I chortle when I hear long job titles.
Mobil recycling material and sanitization supervisory manager = (My garbage man).
 tatersprout
Msg: 18
Profile review
Posted: 12/10/2014 2:57:33 PM

Lol... Ok, for those of you on here giving me crap about my job.... I'm a Btmls manager.... Now, please tell me... Isn't it just easier.... To wait until I can actually explain? By the way... Btmls.... Bi modal transoceanic material and logistics supervisory manager... Hope that clears things up.
It's a bit pretentious to assume one's job is too important or complicated that the average person is too stupid to understand.
A general word works just as well as the exact job title.
I suppose I could say I am Chair of Medical Center Education, Unit Education Coordinator, Staff Support, Staffing Committee Manager, Charge/Preceptor/Staff RN in Level 1 PICU, PALS/ACLS, Flight and Ground Transport Team...as those are all my job titles but I don't.
See how easy it can be?

Please delete that 1st paragraph and just fill in the blank with something general. Anybody who says "not that I'm bragging" always is.
Don't you want somebody to be interested for you and not what you have or your successes?
I would swear that you were an engineer.

Time to listen to suggestions thus far.
Sometimes people come asking for advice then get offended by it.
Don't be that person.
Everybody here wants you to have the best profile you can have and be successful.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Profile review
Posted: 12/10/2014 3:03:00 PM
Mine should read....

ScooterSB

Profession: Teacher of Humanities, KS3 RE, History and Geography, GCSE Religious Studies, A-Level Philosophy of Religion and Ethics.

I just put teacher.
 tatersprout
Msg: 20
Profile review
Posted: 12/10/2014 3:20:12 PM
^^^Nice, Scooter.
Now I am thinking you are way smarter and more important than I used to. j/k
BTW, love the new pics.

Would be fun if all reviewers got to specifics, but that might be a thread hijack, haha.

You see, Shannon, there is usually much more to a person than what you read or assume.
Boastfulness is not a positive attribute.
We unfold as we get to know each other.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 21
Profile review
Posted: 12/10/2014 5:13:23 PM
I suppose it is a bad time to go off topic and announce
I am the Ruler of the Universe. Course my Universe only encompasses my house and dog, and a few thousand subjects
But
SW sounds more approachable
No need to bow :/
 ozsealady1
Msg: 22
Profile review
Posted: 12/10/2014 9:16:13 PM
I would write either....

Logistics
Manager
or

Logistics Manager.

Simple.

Scooter and Tater.. love your professional titles :)
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile review