Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Need Review - Never get replies!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 petula1908
Msg: 2
Need Review - Never get replies!Page 1 of 1    
You have been here for six years??? Why, women must wonder.
I would get rid of the pic with another woman in it for a start. Load a full length shot as well. If you are as successful and well rounded as you claim, why don't you have success in real life? This is what women ask themselves. You seem a good looking guy but I guess if you are contacting the real hotties they could be fakes or flakes. Some women are attention seekers that is for sure and just want to play around in the water and have fun. See what catches are in this big ocean and swim on by.

WHat is up, are your false expectations of success on a freebie dating site. You don't know what girls are ignoring what messages on here and you are just generalising and speculating.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 4
Need Review - Never get replies!
Posted: 12/11/2014 5:25:03 PM
What on Earth? This isn't a profile review; this is whiny-piteous post whilst jabbing at ladies who don't give you a millisecond of their attention. If you're doing so damned well, in real life, and criticizing the women here who have the right to make their own relationship choices, why the blooming fuk are you even here?

Kindly take your false profile review and your crappy profile, and stuff off.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/11/2014 5:26:44 PM

Hey all - I've had a POF account for some time, but I don't really log in frequently at all because I never get ANY replies to my messages.

I do not find that hard to believe at all, was it 3 or 4 sentences?

You need 3 or 4 paragraphs.

Zero personality+ zero humor+lack of effort = three strikes, do not go to first base, go to the dug out and warm the bench.

Check out the profile tips at the top of the page in green, write those paragraphs, then post back to THIS thread and someone will help you tweak it.

Best wishes

Jerry
 ScooterSB
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2014 5:37:42 PM
Success on POF, as with other dating sites, is actually relatively straight forward, it's not rocket science. It's a pretty stright forward formula

Have good pictures
Have well written profile text
Send good first messages
Be selective about who you message, only message the right people
Stay positive and have a good attitude about the process.

You fail on the first two, and possibly the last one.

Your pictures are poor:
1) Is an advert for you cellphone, not you
2) Cuts half your face out and your wearing sunglasses, so really only shows about 1/3 your
3) You have your arm around a very attractive young lady. Women will assume this is you ex your hung up on or worse you current gf. THIS PHOTO IS KILLING YOUR PROFILE
4) There is a poorly edited out person with a white splodge, so it now looks like you are hugging a ghost.

All these photos need to go with a completely new set showing you and only you. It takes a little effort but not much, I updated my profile pic today, I'm really happy with it. From deciding to take a new photo, to it being uploaded to pof was about 5mins.

Your text is also poor:
Where is the passion, excitement, romance and adventure? What woman is going to read those 3 sentences and think "WOW! I really need to date this guy?"
read these tips and try again http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts1262627.aspx

Sorry if this all sounded harsh, but if you want success on a dating site you need to putt effort in.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/11/2014 6:09:49 PM

Should I really create a new account because I remembered the password to this one from 6 years ago lol, do people really even pay attention to that?

People DO pay attention to that because they pay attention to every stupid thing on here that they can pay attention to, just because they can. It's a Murphy's Law corollary.

so anything with a paywall I would assume is a waste of money. No?

Yes.
Why pay good money for rejection when you can get all you want (or don't want) for free right here?

You have returned at a low point, compared to 6 years ago. It's a whole new online dating world. Women just do not reply to messages or initiate messages with the frequency they did back then.
Best advice I can give a guy is to use as much clean humor as possible in profile and messages, and hope it comes back in vogue and gets the appreciation that it used to get.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2014 6:13:37 PM

Honestly what you write on a site like POF is totally irrelevant, everybody just looks at pics first, I'm not saying it will hurt, just that it doesn't carry much importance, it's all about getting into the email conversations then getting the phone #

Not even remotely true, you are a better looking man than I am, yet form the sounds of it I have significantly higher response to messages I send out. Are my pictures amazing, they are the best I can do, but nothing out of this world. However I have a good, well written and positive piece of text that shows me in a fun datable way.

If it was irrelevant then why would POF even have a text box? If you want just pictures try tinder.

If it is so irrelevant, then why not try it. If you are right you have nothing to lose, takes 10mins out of your life that wont change anything, all you've lost is 10mins. If I'm right that 10 mins could drastically increase your chances of success on this site.

You could even do a little experiment. Go a month with barley a word written in your text, send some messages out, make a note of how many you send and how many you get a response from. Then the next month do the same only with 3 positive, fun, well written paragraphs and not the responses to the same number of messages. See which one works the best and stick with that.

3) if they draw that conclusion that's their problem, these are the girls in my life, isn't one supposed to show they are social?

All I'm trying to do is give you the best chances of getting responses from women. Have a look at other profile reviews on these forums, look out for ones where guys have had pictures of them with women, see what the women have said. In a nutshell they HATE seeing women in a guys dating profile, it's not just one or two, or some like it and some don't women constantly say they hate seeing women in a guys profile. If you want to show you are social, why not a picture with your guy buddies, of a group shot with 5 or 6 people of mix gender?

1) i hear what you are saying for that one, but how else does one take a selfie without getting their phone in the pic?

Either take a selfie with a front camera, or don't take a selfie and have someone else take the photo. Simple.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2014 6:26:51 PM
1. DON'T take a selfie.
2. So, it still isn't a good photo to use.
3. With that attitude I predict continued failure. You've been told, no women in your photos. Your choice.
4. Yeah, no ghosts either.
 Forums_only
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/11/2014 7:05:15 PM

Honestly what you write on a site like POF is totally irrelevant, everybody just looks at pics first, I'm not saying it will hurt, just that it doesn't carry much importance, it's all about getting into the email conversations then getting the phone

Oh? Is that how it works? I'll have to tell my husband we did it all wrong.

If you feel the photos are the priority, I would expect you will be making an effort to post better ones soon. Apparently if you turn the camera around you can take a photo without the thing being in the picture. Or - even better - let someone else take it. Some of those newfangled gadgets even have a timer feature. Imagine that.

The photo with your ex (or whoever it is, doesn't really matter) will have most women expect it's either an ex (yes, some guys do that) or a current girlfriend and you're looking for a 3-way. (yes, some guys do that, too) Either way, anyone who has ever been messaged for that will delete you without reading further. It's just how it is. Also - if she's a friend, why aren't you dating her? There are just so many better photo ops you could do and not sabotage yourself. You can show 'social' by having a photo taken in a pub with friends playing pool or shooting darts, so long as you are the focus of the photo.

I find it ironic that you have 'interesting conversation' as an Interest yet really offer little on which to start a conversation. If a woman can't get a sense of your personality from the photos, interests or written portion, it's not likely she'll feel any connection or commonality. With all the competition, why would she waste time trying to interrogate you for info? No need to write a novel, just use that brilliant brain to create an image of you that is reply-worthy.

But first fix the pictures.
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/11/2014 7:35:30 PM
I agree, delete the photo with the young lady. After reading so many reviews where guys uploaded pictures with platonic women in their life, I once decided to give a guy a benefit of the doubt regarding a picture of him and a young woman. "Oh that must be his sister/friend/co-worker," I thought. A few dates in, I found out it was his ex-girlfriend. And he definitely was not over her, even though he insisted he was.

TL;DR: no pictures with the opposite sex. Nothing wrong with having female friends, but on your profile, there is no context for who that woman is. You don't even caption it to explain she is your sister.

You can show the social aspect of your personality in ways other than embracing a woman in a photo. Look at some of the photos of the reviewers.

but how else does one take a selfie without getting their phone in the pic?
Front facing camera is the norm for many smartphones nowadays. You can go old-school and physically turn the camera around. You can go even more old-school and not have a selfie at all.

One of your interests is stimulating conversation. So, stimulate some conversation! Your current text doesn't really open itself up to conversation. Plus, you want to be distinct from the other profiles she already read this morning. So, mentioning specific details is great. Take one of your interests and expand on it. Tell her your last great farmers market find. Mention a place or two you have traveled and something that really stood out to you about the trip. What are some of the new things you like to try?

And delete the phrase "easy going". It is one of the most overused phrases on this site.
 Tiny_danc3r
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/14/2014 9:56:46 PM
You aren't getting replies simply because there is nothing to reply to... 3 sentences does not a profile make. If you can't make an effort on your profile, odds are you won't put it forth in a relationship, so why would a woman even bother?

You said way more in your profile request than you did in the profile itself. You get out what you put in.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/15/2014 12:50:27 AM
Does your wife / girlfriend you have your arm wrapped around know you are active on here again?
Seeking to date but nothing serious?

Don't you have any friends to take a photo...
Don't you know how to take a time lapse shot with your smart phone?

And you are a degree qualified engineer????
Sheesh.....

Or are you one of those people you despise

(of mostly socially inept tech guys)

Except you are also technically inept at photography..

^^ Sorry I could not resist.

In reality..
You are a handsome, educated man with a good job.
With all of that going for you all you need is to add a little common sense and charm.

Mark_It_Up
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/15/2014 1:23:53 AM

how else does one take a selfie without getting their phone in the pic?

My photo is a selfie. Do you see a phone?
I have these things attached to my shoulders, called "arms".

Honestly what you write on a site like POF is totally irrelevant

Then why are you asking for a profile review?
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Need Review - Never get replies!