Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > When do we start to die?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gingerosity
Msg: 2
view profile
History
When do we start to die?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
https://xkcd.com/1177/

And if it is true then can a point in ones life be realised and that point maybe be a half way marker to ones own life...could it be so simple to know how long you have,if only the point could be realised.

Predicting lifespan with any accuracy so far in advance is a pretty big ask. Genes only predict lifespan with a weighting of about a third. Two thirds is environmental, so to be accurate you have to measure how someone's body has been treated, but the earlier you measure it, the more time the body has to be exposed to other, unanticipated environmental stresses. Like weather forecasting, the further into the future you try to go, the less accurate you can be. The environmental stress on your body of being hit by a bus would definitely be difficult to predict.

A recent paper on biomarker screening:
http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.1001606
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 3
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/14/2014 6:25:44 AM

When do we start to die?

Right after you learn about death.
 basilisk123
Msg: 5
view profile
History
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/14/2014 9:13:39 AM
I say literal death starts when you are concieved. People only have a set amount of time living. Every living thing will die. It is a certainty.
I would metaphorical death starts right when someone loses their innocence and sees the world for the hell it truly is.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 7
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/14/2014 10:07:02 AM
Depressing?
Nothing wrong with death.

Consider where we came from.
That's the same place we are going to.
So can't be all that bad.

As for the decay of the body?
At the age of 38, decay/death of the body is hardly front page news.
Keep living life to the fullest capacity that your body and mind can handle at each stage of life.

Heck, sometimes I think we all look forward to death. It is the ultimate rest.
It's just the possible pains on the way out that is discomforting.

Chin up Bro.
I'm 50 and I'm still fighting the decay…. it pays off because I'm in better shape than most 38 year olds.
But that doesn't mean I don't feel the "PAINS" of the decay.
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/15/2014 9:48:47 AM
ticklemepank (msg 4) Has David Gerrold finished any more books already (of the chtorr) ?
 DameWrite
Msg: 9
view profile
History
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/15/2014 6:34:09 PM
I don't believe death is to be measured in a linear way.

Death happens when our bodies can't recover quick enough from trauma. "Shots" from inside or outside, as soon as they happen, whenever they may happen. We can't say when it starts. It's different for everyone, yet under similiar circumstances our bodies will often act in similar ways and possibly not recover. Our recovery process doesn't have to stop working...but if the force is blunt or toxic enough, it will, and does for now.

Our recovery doesn't have to slow down or quit, but it seems to at this stage in evolution it does as the next generation is more important than us living forever. Our dna will therefor rule in favour of death. (at this time?) and allow us to self destruct by stopping our workings from recovering at a ripe old age that seems to be increasing...again?

There is also a theory that we shouldn't have to die at all if only a specific part of our brain would rebuild itself like the rest of the cells in our body.

Is this where we find the death strand?
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/16/2014 12:28:20 PM
"Some people think they gonna die someday
I got news you never got to go

Come on come on up
Come on come on up
Come on come on up
Come on come on up
Come on come on baby"

- Ted Nugent
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 11
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/16/2014 1:07:36 PM

- Ted Nugent

Speaking of people that should die soon.
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 12
view profile
History
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/18/2014 1:29:19 AM
I can remember a point and time in my life when it could have been at any moment.
I've learned not to dwell on it and just keep pushing forward.
 Dee4166
Msg: 13
view profile
History
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/18/2014 2:29:46 AM
Working with the elderly, these days, I can usually " see" that deathwatch kick in at a certain point when it's a " natural" Death....
Most of them seem to know, too...

But really I believe it's sometime in the late 20' s or thereabouts that the cell production starts to slow down and the deterioration process begins to speed up...as in cells don't get replaced as quickly and/ or efficiently, etc.

I personally don't dwell on it too much, as Death can be quite sneaky and while we're busy worrying about it, we could just as easily get run over by a bus....lol
It ceases to be any kind of process at that point and becomes a ( last) , event....
 emotionalheat
Msg: 14
view profile
History
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/18/2014 8:49:30 PM
If you pay a fare to ride a train to the end of the line, when does the trip begin and when does it end?
If you are alive are you mostly alive or mostly dead?
Perhaps we cannot choose to be born but we can certainly choose to die.
If we choose to die, when did we begin to die?
 bluespikedshell
Msg: 15
view profile
History
When do we start to die?
Posted: 12/30/2014 8:46:19 AM
I would say the moment you're born. One could say that life is just a slow death.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 16
When do we start to die?
Posted: 1/24/2015 2:38:27 PM

When do we humans start dying...

... when we slip it into that ugly chick from a party for the first time (shudder). That is when the death clock starts [insert tv-show '24' clock here].
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 17
view profile
History
When do we start to die?
Posted: 1/24/2015 8:06:41 PM
I agree with # 15. Your birth heralds the beginning of your journey to your death. Stop and smell the roses in between.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 18
When do we start to die?
Posted: 1/24/2015 8:53:53 PM
^^^

Your body goes through different stages, as cells die they are replaced and ~ every 7 years it is a completely new you and at some point those cells do not copy 100% like they use to.

Each of our cells has a limit on the number of times it can replicate itself. (these are known as telomeres and how long of ones you have, will determine how many good copies your cells can make)

So when our bodies start hitting that limit and you are losing more and the new ones may not be 100% exact copies, you technically are starting to die.

It is different for males and females and for that matter everyone, but at some point your body runs out of copies.

Though from an emotional standpoint, if you where never aware you woudl die you would not know you would die, so not until you are aware you can die, do you really begin to die.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 19
When do we start to die?
Posted: 1/25/2015 5:53:01 PM
HFX RGB-^^^^This.
The only thing I would change is the last line, from an emotional stand point.........
We start dying the moment we stop being grateful we are alive.
 Bachelorette.Number1
Msg: 20
When do we start to die?
Posted: 1/26/2015 8:19:55 PM
Physically, I would guess around 25 being the climax and then down hill slowly, slowly, barely noticable....then a tad quicker, quicker, quite noticable, then bam, you're dead.

LOL. Ok, I'm laughing at my own post.
But really I think alot of this going downhill stuff has alot to do with your own mindset.
Clearly, the body's going to do what it does, but your mind can stay young. Your thoughts can stay upbeat and positive...right?
 Demidar
Msg: 22
When do we start to die?
Posted: 2/1/2015 10:10:04 AM
To Opp : The moment you are conceived you are on the path to dying , it is just a matter of when .
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 23
view profile
History
When do we start to die?
Posted: 2/4/2015 3:35:01 AM
The words "die" and dying" may be used in many different ways. All that matters is that they should make sense in the context of our language game.
....................................................................................................................................................................................................
 dragonbytes
Msg: 24
When do we start to die?
Posted: 2/4/2015 6:29:26 AM

I say literal death starts when you are concieved. People only have a set amount of time living. Every living thing will die.

Organisms that never get old.

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/animals-that-live-forever/#slideshow=slide6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_immortality

There is no reason living organisms have to die, a few never die from old age and age doesn't affect them.
 3rdmediumfish
Msg: 25
When do we start to die?
Posted: 2/4/2015 10:52:31 AM
This should have been titled,
"When do we stop dying?"

I'm sure the genetic DNA map of that jellyfish known as Turritopsis doohmii is being studied
and attempts to replicate the conversion of older cells to newer cells are being done.

With immortal cell regeneration, there is no incentive to evolve.
No reason to evolve if the current habitat remains stable.
I wonder if the same affect would occur to humans?
 mike11091
Msg: 26
When do we start to die?
Posted: 2/7/2015 11:17:47 PM

There is no reason living organisms have to die, a few never die from old age and age doesn't affect them.

Einstein was the first to suggest that death was only an illusion. He was talking about a friend of his that died.

Einstein said:

People like us ... know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

There are also a number of studies that suggest death exists simply because of human perception. (I think that's what Einstein was alluding to).

It's fun to think about, but I wonder, then, why no one has bothered to "come back" and explain this stuff. My mid-life crisis is bound to happen soon and I don't want it to be about death.
 Vannili
Msg: 27
view profile
History
When do we start to die?
Posted: 2/14/2015 7:59:25 PM
Msg. #1 :

We start to die even in young age if we don't use our mind to learn and experience negative and positive matters.
When we grow old like starting 55 ism our body is susceptible on desease and our mind is not as sharp as when we
are younger and our body decline on strength.

I am 38 and I would say my body has finally finished its growing and being full of energy, and from now on it's all downhill as I slowly die ?

For me My belief is as long as I am healthy and full of energy I am hoping to reach 104 years old. I may no longer a bikini hot babe, but I will be a full of wisdom old woman.

Have you read the book of Thich Nhat Hanb and the Holy Dalai Lama ? It inspired me to accept my age and feel young and enjoy life.
 ApriLikesWhiteRosesOnly
Msg: 28
When do we start to die?
Posted: 2/16/2015 4:43:51 AM

When do we humans start dying

IMO, We humans starts dying when we have no love within us.
Age has nothing to do with the time of life or the time of death of a person.
Love and illusion are the food for the mind and body.
In our minds there must be love, Without love, we live life with an agonizing loneliness and sadness, we have no illusion, If there is no illusion, our mind have no desire to live and Death slowly takes possession of us stealing our body's energy.

Most harmful diseases we suffer (depression and pain), are due to the loneliness and sadness.
It is for this reason that we must do something each day that increase our happiness, exercise our body and try to help someone, (a person or animal).We has to be sowers of joy.
Joy is the music of the soul, IT IS LIFE.
The joy comes from the peace of the soul, the love toward others.

We have to live the life full of love, enthusiasm and optimism in this world full of pessimism, sadness, inner emptiness, indifferent, short-sighted and withered. In this almost dead world.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 29
When do we start to die?
Posted: 2/24/2015 2:33:58 AM

I am 38 and I would say my body has finally finished its growing and being full of energy, and from now on it’s all downhill as I slowly die?

Yeah, your cells will decay, the rate of regeneration will slow, and your biological functions will be subject to any degree of failure. You may fall prey to dementia within the next x years, then you will slowly lose your cognitive functions - and you will waste away without any reprieve till you are no longer able to identify who you are. That day, and from that day forward you will die and be reborn without any real understanding of who you are, what you're doing, or how you ended up in this groundhog day hell.

Good luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > When do we start to die?