Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > [quote] Editing screws up quote box [/quote]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 1
[quote] Editing screws up quote box [/quote]Page 1 of 1    

Editing screws up quote box

This quote feature:

This allows you to quote a previous post.

is great, as long as you don't have to edit your post.

Once you edit your post, the quote box disappears.
WTF?

Why is it that POF has more Censorship/Deletion Nazis
but no Technicians/Administrator to fix the obvious glitches?

Can't be that hard of an issue to fix...can it?

The same thing happens when you bold anything.

Makes me wonder why POF just didn't use a Simple Machines Forum.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 2
[quote] Editing screws up quote box [/quote]
Posted: 12/14/2014 2:29:13 PM
If you have to edit your post just re-type the "quote" on off back in and it will go back to original format.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/14/2014 3:42:06 PM
I know that.

You shouldn't have to is the point.
 bobby_z_man
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/15/2014 8:44:12 AM
At OP...
We shouldn't have to do a lot of things every day that are nothing more than an inconvenience. But we do.

It would take an hour to list all the inconveniences our multi-million dollar MRP software causes each day that would seem to be a simple fix for the SAP code guys. Everyone bitches about something and then figures a way around it and just gets used to dealing with it.

Really... it's not worth all the frustration.

Here is a simple way to work around this. At least it is the way I work around it when posting from a PC. (Not a solution when posting from my phone.)

I compose my posts in Word then I log into the forums and copy paste into the post box. Several advantages to this: 1) Much better spell and grammar check. 2) It gets around the tiresome procedure of login, compose, and posting only to find out your login times-out while composing, having to log back in and back-refresh the page twice to get what you composed and post it. (simple but way too much "clicking".) 3) Your formatting is preserved in the document as long as it is open. If you need to edit, edit the Word document, select all text and copy. Right click in the POF post edit box and select all (or click in it anywhere and hit "Ctrl + A"). All text is highlighted. Right click again and select paste (or "Ctrl + V").

Would POF fixing the issue be easier? You bet! Will POF fix it? Not likely. Get used to it; that is just the way of the land. If it bothers you too much then the POF forums probably aren't for you.

EDIT:
I composed, logged in, and posted.
I went back to the Word document a few minutes later and added this edit.
I am now replacing the original post with this complete edited version. My formatting for the bold and italic will be reinserted when I do so. Easy as pie

EDIT II:
Edit sentence "My formatting for the bold and italic will be reinserted when I do so" to " My formatting for the bold and italic will be retained when I do so.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/15/2014 2:18:12 PM
Hope you feel better now BobbY_Z_mAn
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/15/2014 2:27:04 PM

Here is a simple way to work around this. At least it is the way I work around it when posting from a PC. (Not a solution when posting from my phone.)

One other trick you can use if the formatting (bold / ilta) and the quotes is to do an open close at the top of your post.

So first line would be [ b ] [ / b ] (without spaces)
 AussieNancy
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/15/2014 4:48:30 PM
^^^^ That;s right. I was going to say the same thing. I learned that trick from Cowboy a while back. It also preserves an emoticon if you've done one.
 bobby_z_man
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/16/2014 4:00:47 AM
I feel absolutely AWESOME!

Thank you for asking!

But it has nothing to do with your or my posts. I felt great all day yesterday both before and after reading your hissy fit.
Once you edit your post, the quote box disappears. WTF?
I was just trying to point out some simple things to easily get around a non-issue that is obviously frustrating you.

My thought was that since suggestions and rants in the forums directed at the site administration fall on deaf ears you might appreciate a simple solution/fix and get over it. But I guess that since it is not exactly what you asked for you don't accept it but rather lash out against the person (me) giving you an alternative.

If you think your suggestion is worthy of administration fixing, send them the suggestion at CSR@pof.com I'm sure they would appreciate you finding and pointing out the problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HFX, Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try soon.

awesomefiftyman
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/17/2014 11:48:21 AM
You did not inform me of anything that I did not already know bobby_z_man.
I made my point.
I would send you a cyber soother, if I could. ;)
 bobby_z_man
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/18/2014 7:19:38 AM
I'll take that soother! Thank you so much for the kindly and generous thought!

Now then...

I made my point.
I would send you a cyber soother, if I could. ;)

What point????

So, you tell me awsomeman, it's really you needing a hug, isn't it?

I usually don't feed the trolls on this site because it just encourages them to keep trolling, but you seem like a really hungry one so I'll give you a third response. I'll warn you that this is likely to become one of my longer posts so go ahead and put on the coffee pot then sit back, take a sip, and relax and try not to get so upset while reading thru this.

If you look up my posting history from my profiles over the years you will see that I typically try to offer simple solutions/answers to simple issues. I very seldom reply to one poster more than twice. The majority of my posts are in threads about problems and issues. Many of them are issues that people blow out of proportion. I also don't shy away from calling out people who would rather just b*tch than accept the answers to their perceived injustices.

Besides this post you posted another WTF rant about short logout times. See:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16311009.aspx

There are dozens of posts about both of these issues, nearly all with similar answers and solutions or were closed by the then moderators for redundancy.

My simple easy no-issues solution to your perceived injustice solves the frustration involved in both this post here and the one mentioned above.

From your last post in this thread...

I made my point.

Again I ask what point? So I have to respectfully disagree. I stated that it has been a long time issue often complained about and never corrected. And that the best solution to your obvious frustration is to accept it and move on, or just move on.
To your statement...

Once you edit your post, the quote box disappears.
WTF?

Why is it that POF has more Censorship/Deletion Nazis
but no Technicians/Administrator to fix the obvious glitches?

Can't be that hard of an issue to fix...can it?

I replied...

Would POF fixing the issue be easier? You bet! Will POF fix it? Not likely. Get used to it; that is just the way of the land. If it bothers you too much then the POF forums probably aren't for you.

So, if you knew that when you posted it why did you make the post? Just to rant and complain? You refused to accept the answer and simple solution and accuse the answerer of having an anger issues. Again, quite the opposite. I offered a solution to sooth your ruffled feathers. You refuse to accept it and attempt to turn the tables and accuse the answerer of being the angry one. That is grade school playground politics my awesomeman friend.

It sounds like you refuse to accept the simple, frustration relieving, answers and that you prefer instead to be angry, to keep it an issue so you have something to complain about. That is a pattern you are establishing here on the POF forums.

I could stop here. I could let you respond in some way attempting to make yourself sound like a calm peaceful man. I could stop now and let you try to better your image by offering a soothing calm sounding reply while attempting to belittle me in the effort. I could, but since this is my rant about you being anything but, I just cannot.

Your profile has been here a short time but you have posted many rants. You have started pissing contests with some of the best pissers on the forums. You had threads voted off the forums and then posted in numerous other threads complaining about it. You are a prolific poster who lashes out against anyone who calls you on your rants and ridiculous comments.

I thought about posting actual links to many of your rants that I have seen. You know what you have posted. I will mention some of the topics though if someone else wanted to search for them.

You have this and the other WTF rant about composing issues.

You had two threads (that I know of) community voted off. You accused moderators of removing them then started a pissing contest with the people who called you out. This is likely where you took a dislike to me because I agreed with what one of them said.

You have carried on the arguing about the deleted threads in similar established threads on a similar topic. These should have been the threads you originally posted your makeup comments to. See "Makeup or Bare face?" and " Women that wear too much makeup at our age...."

You have carried on the deleted thread pissing and complaining in other non-related threads. Just a few... "One Thing..", "TOMBOYS", "Would you date a Tomboy?", "The Coffee Date" . And likely more that I just haven't seen.

You have responded to at least one of the posters you are trying to out-piss in another thread attacking the poster and not adding to the topic of the thread.

In the " Do You Have Success On Coffee Date Meets?" thread you have complained about posters starting new threads on an established topic rather than using the search function. Yet you are guilty of the same and had those threads removed. Was this just an angry retaliation for having your threads voted off by other posters? What about the topic of this very thread that has been discussed scores of times? A thread search would have answered your questions before posting the opening rant. Don't try to claim ignorance based on being a new user. As one of your adversaries pointed out in a thread, it is hard to claim to be new and unfamiliar with the POF forums when in your very first thread you were knowledgeable of the quote box formatting. Either you are a returning poster or you were smart enough to look thru the threads to learn it before ever posting but ignored the redundant posting rules.

I think this is now my longest post to POF. I warned you! Not too many times I have gone off on someone here. But like I said, I just felt like feeding a troll that is so obviously hungry. After all, it is the season of giving.

Go ahead and pour that second cup of coffee and tap out your response. And please, point out any/all of my errors so the record will be straight. But be honest and don't attempt to hide your distain again with feeble attempts to turn the tables. Like I said, lashing out, having someone calmly point out solutions to your perceived issues, then responding by trying to make yourself look like the calm reasonable one replying without addressing the original issue while attempting to make the calm replier sound angry is no better than grade school politics.

Don't break the keyboard when you start typing your response. I want you to be able to finish it.

So, you tell me awsomeman, it's really you needing a hug, isn't it?
Have a safe, happy, and relaxing holiday season!
Merry Christmas!
Bob

awesomefiftyman
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:36:29 AM
Sorry I didn't read all that.
It wasn't worth the effort.
Unless you just needed to get more frustration out.
 bobby_z_man
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:44:36 AM
Yep, I'd duck too if someone tried to slap me in the face with the truth. It dose hurt to be put straight but I guess that just ignoring it helps. That way you don't have to confront your own (obvious) shortcomings.

So you expect people to read your long winded posts?

EDIT:
Had you read it you would not be able to call the kettle so black. Go ahead and read it. Or dose the fear of raading about your obvious, and now published, shortcomings scare you?

And by the way, your third lame reply is exactly what I predicted!

OH WAIT! I'm still feeding the troll!

Happy New Year too. I hope it is a happier and less angry year for you than the way this on is ending.
 AussieNancy
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/18/2014 4:44:09 PM

You shouldn't have to is the point.

You don't have to. As two of us have said, simply type [ b ] [ /b ] first then you can quote as many times as you like and edit as many times as you like and the quotes will remain.

Hopefully your issue has been addressed to your satisfaction, and no, Admin has better things to do than worry about a quote box. If people are unsure of something; that's what the rest of us are here for. Ask and you'll get answers to the best of our knowledge. :)
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/18/2014 6:13:21 PM
Bobby, you're arguing with an azzhole. Nice rant though, thoroughly enjoyed it, well done. :-)
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/18/2014 6:40:44 PM

Bluemoon24_7 on 12/18/2014 721 PM
Bobby, you're arguing with an azzhole. Nice rant though, thoroughly enjoyed it, well done. :-)

rant verb \ˈrant\
: to talk loudly and in a way that shows anger : to complain in a way that is unreasonable

Full Definition of RANT

intransitive verb
: to talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner
: to scold vehemently
transitive verb
: to utter in a bombastic declamatory fashion
— rant·er noun
— rant·ing·ly adverb

Examples of RANT

“You can rant and rave all you want,” she said, “but it's not going to change things.”
He ranted that they were out to get him.

Synonyms
bluster, fulminate, huff, rave, spout
Related Words
sound off, speak out, speak up; blare, blurt out, bolt; bloviate, blow, declaim, harangue, mouth (off), orate, pontificate; carry on, rage, storm, take on
 AussieNancy
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/18/2014 7:20:12 PM

You can rant and rave all you want,” she said, “but it's not going to change things.”

That's right. So best leave it be now and move on. Again, I trust the OP's issue has been resolved.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/18/2014 7:26:12 PM
I love it how people on this forum
take it upon themselves to think they have a role
to tell others to leave it be and move on.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/18/2014 7:59:26 PM
Funny how some have a way with even pissing off the nice and helpful people.
 AussieNancy
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/20/2014 6:25:37 AM

I love it how people on this forum
take it upon themselves to think they have a role
to tell others to leave it be and move on.

I didn't tell you, I suggested it. If you're still concerned about the problem with quote boxes after the advice you sought and us taking the time to solve your problem you can email csr@pof.com with your distress.

Many of us have more serious issues to contend with in our lives but if this remains an unimaginable trauma ....even after we've kindly given you the answers you sought, I would hope you can move on.
Again, perhaps contact Admin with your concerns if they havn't been addressed here to your satisfaction.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/20/2014 12:08:15 PM
You need to move on AussieNancy
 Mz_Dressup
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/20/2014 3:43:32 PM
Negative notice is better than no notice at all.

Most of us should learn to quietly ignore the trolls in all their shapes, attitudes and temper tantrums.
 AussieNancy
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/21/2014 4:35:48 PM
Once again, please avail yourself to messages 6 and 13.

I found it annoying too, until I was told of the way around it. [ b ] [ /b ] without the spaces in the brackets at the very beginning of your post. Works perfectly. :)
 Looking_For_Love_Too
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/29/2014 6:05:14 PM
Thanks all who have contributed here on this thread. I have been enlightened in many ways - my knowledge of how things work on this site and my vocabulary. This is what I like about the POF forums. Keep up the good work folks.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > [quote] Editing screws up quote box [/quote]