Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I guess it's time for a review      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BostonShaun
Msg: 1
I guess it's time for a reviewPage 1 of 1    
Hey everyone,

Just found out POF has a forum feature (don't know why they don't advertise this more) and stumbled across this little subsection here.

If anyone has some time, could you give me profile a quick look? I feel its decent (and has actually gotten me a few dates), but i also feel it could be better.

Again, thanks in advance for the help!
 Ainen
Msg: 2
I guess it's time for a review
Posted: 12/15/2014 7:51:28 AM
Good to hear you've gotten dates from here. Yes, it could be better.

Two photos are inverted from mirror (the motorcycle helmet and the tie / alcohol photo). There seems to be an emphasis on flexing muscles with buddies.

Perhaps you'll get advice on motorcycle photos from successful motorcycle guys or from gals who like motorcycles.

<div class="quote">I'd way rather stay home and cook something together rather than go out to eat.

Good. Keep this.

<div class="quote">I consider myself pretty intelligent... I mean hey, I almost made it on Jeopardy, if that counts for anything.

Not good to say you're intelligent. Good to show it. Jeopardy smarts don't count for social situations, unless you're at a trivia night.

<div class="quote">If you're interested send me a message.... I'm undeniably easy to talk to.

Ugh, a kazillion other profiles end with the needless "if interested send a message". And you already said you're easy to talk to.
 BostonShaun
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/15/2014 8:55:25 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Ainen.

I've never really known the appropriate way to end a profile rather than just saying "blah blah send me a message" ect... any ideas as to what direction to go with that?

Also... whats the problem with the inverted ones out of curiosity?

Thanks,
Shaun
 tennistown
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/15/2014 11:54:37 AM

could you give me profile a quick look?

Every single sentence
in you "About Me" section
(except one)
begins with "I"

The exceptional sentence is...
Cooking is my hobby...

Play around with your sentence structure so that does not occur.
 Ainen
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/15/2014 2:50:54 PM
Mirror photos make writing look backwards. People get inverted so your left side is your right side and vice versa. Unless you're perfectly symmetrical, you look different in a mirror.

Easy to correct the above by flipping the image. However, mirrors also lower photo quality.

Many people end their about me by describing the person they'd like to meet.

I believe you made a good choice with putting on a tie as the subject of a photo. Girls can envision you dressing up to date them.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/15/2014 3:06:12 PM
Hi Shaun, personality and humor are generally what sells best, you are lacking in both areas.

Have you seen the profile tips at the top of the page in green?

Best wishes

Jerry
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/15/2014 3:20:20 PM
Hello, OP,

Your current dispatch is rather disjointed, choppy, and confusing. I get that you enjoy traveling ( though you don't mention whether you're locally, nationally or internationally traveled), cooking, and learning. It's nice that you've at least bothered to expound on these with some detail. However, your sentence structure leaves much to be desired.

You're university educated, and so I expect that you'll take the time to at least compose a better profile. You can write it out with a word processor and then copy and paste it here, ensuring that the formatting is aligned.

You've neglected to include the type of woman whom you seek. Please include this with tact.

The group and photos with friends must go. You and only you should be present in your photos. I don't like how your headlines reads, either. No, maybe she won't love you -- then what?

Have an enjoyable trip to Japan and best wishes on your advanced educational endeavors.

Cheers
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2014 4:53:35 PM
Change your main photo.

Decide if you want children.

You could talk about your job, technical director of what?

These are your interests, how many of them will sound like a joint activity with a potential date?
Motorcycles Hockey Boston bruins
Cooking Racing Computers
Gym Fitness Tattoos
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/15/2014 5:40:21 PM
Your friends/relatives are rather attractive. It distracts from you. I'm left wondering if some of those guys are single when I should be curious about you. Delete the photos with other people. Always be the main focus of any picture you post on an online dating site.
 Forums_only
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/15/2014 6:22:17 PM

I've never really known the appropriate way to end a profile rather than just saying "blah blah send me a message" ect... any ideas as to what direction to go with that?

Simply finish this sentence:

The lady I'd like to meet would be (personality trait, personality trait) and looking for (what are YOU really looking for?)
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I guess it's time for a review