Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Any tips for this profile-o-mine?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 romnoob
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Any tips for this profile-o-mine?Page 1 of 1    
I've re-written this a bunch of times, no idea what I'm doing wrong, haven't had a message in a few months. I don't want to be particularly generic but is there something I'm evoking that I'm not conciously aware of?

Any thoughts? Do your worst!
 Ainen
Msg: 2
Any tips for this profile-o-mine?
Posted: 12/15/2014 8:06:12 AM
Photos: women might think they'd take a long time to get their hair as long as the blonde, or that they're not as chesty as the one in the group shot.

*Hate barns for you
*I once punched a deer in the face and will do so again, at your request!

Not being British, I sometimes find your humour difficult to follow. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Likes -
Adventures (small/large), extreme canal boats, sarcasm weekends, music, gigs, comedy, anything on HBO, going out

What are sarcasm weekends? Did you miss a comma?

Dislikes -
Injustice, spicy food, jazz, Eastenders, 'suits', backbiting, smoking, flute music, out-of-control robots, evil robots

I'm amused because I was listening to flute music exactly when reading this. You want to connect with someone based on "I dislike Eastenders and suits too!"

Would like to meet someone who is a lot of fun, doesn't mind long conversations, periods of dancing and random trips to wherever :-)

It seems best to avoid the word "periods".
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/15/2014 8:09:46 AM
Wants to date but nothing serious = looking for multiple bed buddies. That's a pass for most women.

Your photos show you snuggling with other women, probably your other bed buddies, but at least that lets a woman viewing your profile know who her competition in your bed is.

At 32 no car = pass. No explanation on why there's no car, a woman is going to think the worst.

First date: "Spend the night hitting each other with frozen fish and/or pastries". I'm sure that sounds like fun to every woman out there!

You're just looking for fvck buddies so it doesn't matter too much what's in your profile. But for what you're looking for you need to have more photos up so a woman can decide if she finds you physically attractive for a one night stand.
 romnoob
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2014 9:44:42 AM
Cheers, all good advice. I didn't get with either of those girls in the photos, had literally just met them O.o I knew it might create that impression though, they just happen to be good photos of me.

I knew the plush would make me look like a 'child' too, ironic since a great deal of female profiles, even in their late 20s, look massively childish, I digress.

Yep, the sarcasm weekend is a thing, I like the idea of it....or do I? Someone said you should put on likes and dislikes...I definitely understand the 'put nothing negative' approach but I actually get the most feedback about the negative stuff in my profile.....when I get feedback. Yeah my humour is odd, regardless of my nationality :P

Thank you all, this is much food for thought :)
 Tiny_danc3r
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:18:03 AM

I knew the plush would make me look like a 'child' too, ironic since a great deal of female profiles, even in their late 20s, look massively childish, I digress.

Then maybe you should ask one of them out. It's not about their profiles, but what you are trying to attract. Perhaps a lady with kids would find you a playful personality to have around her kids, but someone looking to date isn't going to find much there.

I'd say your profile reflects a desire for casual hookups, if that isn't your intent it's time to get rid of some of the flippant humor. Delete or crop the photos with other women and take full body picture...
 romnoob
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:51:02 AM
I like all these responses :D They are all true. My aim is certainly unclear, although I don't specifically chase hook-ups I don't always turn them down either XD

And yes I should be myself, or should I? The answer to this seems varied.. :P
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/15/2014 3:14:49 PM

And yes I should be myself, or should I?

Makes little difference for hook ups, anybody can fake it for a night.

If and when you want something more lasting, then yes, it is critical you present a clear picture of who you are for success.

Best wishes

Jerry
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/15/2014 3:25:38 PM
I don't know why you've come to the forums to ask for a review if you're not prepared to follow through with any of the advice.
 Forums_only
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/15/2014 6:15:41 PM

I've re-written this a bunch of times, no idea what I'm doing wrong, haven't had a message in a few months. I don't want to be particularly generic but is there something I'm evoking that I'm not conciously aware of?

I didn't read any of the other suggestions, but can only tell you the profile gives a complete F-buddy vibe. At 31, if that's really all you're looking for, you will have a limited pool here.

Are you actually sending introduction to women you find interesting or just waiting for them to contact you?
 romnoob
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2014 10:40:36 AM
I'm taking this all on board, I've not changed anything presently, I find this fascinating to be honest, the vibe I'm giving out is something I was not aware of but it's fair enough :)

I'm sure my pool will be limited no matter what I put to be honest :) And yes I do message, sometimes lengthy and, in my opinion, reasonably witty and friendly messages which are followed by a brief look and a silence that speaks volumes :D
 Forums_only
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/16/2014 8:44:02 PM

and a silence that speaks volumes :D

Exactly, it's the vibe. Let us know when you've had a chance to edit.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/17/2014 2:42:23 AM
At 32 you probably want to display a level of maturity that is socially acceptable. I say a level, because currently there isn't a single level. You could probably get away with it if you adjusted it to avoid being cheesy. But your pictures in addition to what I guess is another stab at humor - your sales pitch, as opposed to adding a level of maturity.

All in all your effort puts you further from the moon that you're shooting for, and that's bad when you're playing spades. Its not because you gave a shot at displaying your sense of humor, but because it becomes overbearing and produced in excess (opposed to natural, and improvised from circumstance) . You almost purposely avoid taking online dating seriously.

Maybe at your age if you had more than an office temp job it would be ok to take the piss. But if you don't have the career to validate the laidback sense of immaturity. You will end up with 100 messages sent, 0 replies returned. And things stop being funny, and start getting humbling at that point.
 romnoob
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2014 1:57:07 PM
I think the main problem is things have stopped being funny a while ago. I guess I don't want a career because, in fact, a career leads no where, none of this will actually be here in about 30-40 years time (economic/social collapse) , I'm just doing the best I can in light of this and was hoping to possibly someone like minded on the way. It really doesn't matter now, I definitely appreciate the feedback
 petula1908
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/17/2014 3:12:16 PM
Pics with other women a no no. Want to date and nothing serious, also offputting. An office temp? what does that mean? Up to you to clarify and change a few things. No guarantee of success however.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Any tips for this profile-o-mine?