Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > English Comprehension or State of the Forum (society) ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 1
English Comprehension or State of the Forum (society) ?Page 1 of 1    
English Comprehension or State of the Forum (society) ?

Am I surprised at the low level of English Comprehension on a free forum?
I guess I cannot state whether it improves on a forum where you have to pay, as I have never paid to join such forums.

Is it really a lack of comprehending the English language?
Or is it just that people want to focus their pent up frustrations and see what they want to see?

The perfect example was my post about Non-stereotypical genders.
I was posting about my preference for the non-stereotypical female. Females that don't wear make up. Tomboyish
I also commented on what I felt the non-stereotypical male would be.

I felt I left it open for others to discuss what non-stereotypical to them would be and whether they prefer the non-stereotypical or stereotypical gender.
Obviously this was totally missed by most of what I saw as being the stereotypes.
Although a few saw my point and didn't get into a fit or call it boring enough to vote for deletion....
most people seem to have missed the whole point and totally focused on lesbians.

Why is everyone focused on the fact that I mentioned lesbians and how they came to their silly assumptions about what I allegedly think about lesbians is beyond me.
Or maybe it isn't.
maybe I am right that the English Comprehension levels are low.... but really?
I don't believe I used any big words or highly intellectual concepts to express my preference for the non-stereotypical female.

Yes, I'm the noobie.
I've read some posts here that state that these forums used to be great.
Maybe it lost its' shine because of the apparent trolls that can't engage in civil discussion and just want to gang up on the new guy?

...... Can everyone just civilly discuss?
I won't hold my breath.... Watch the insults and negative assumptions appear.
Of course someone will comment that this post itself is negative.
Well guess what, life is not a bowl of cherries and it is just a reflection of the recent experience I am having on this forum.
No, I am not looking for pity or for a flame war.
This thread can be a discussion on the state of society in general.
Be it English Comprehension or the biases people hold on to and inability for some to act like adults.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 2
Posted: 12/15/2014 3:59:10 PM
Subject: TOMBOYS

blONDEangEL845 on 12/15/2014 440 PM
"Please reread everything and think about it"

yes take your own advice

re-read that thread put ur thinking cap on.

you missed a few things...

I'm not bringing them over here to feed the troll ether!

Name calling doesn't count as presenting a reasonable argument in discussion or debate blONDEangEL845
But nice try at escaping the inability for you to support your side of the argument.
 _shakti_
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/15/2014 4:25:25 PM
This thread is considered a forum protest and generally they are voted off.

is it just that people want to focus their pent up frustrations and see what they want to see?
And while I agree with your point in principle, you have to admit, there's a bit of irony here as well..
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/15/2014 6:45:01 PM

is it just that people want to focus their pent up frustrations and see what they want to see?
And while I agree with your point in principle, you have to admit, there's a bit of irony here as well..

shakti_,
No, the people I refer to did not discuss what I was referring to in my post.
They made blind negative assumptions that could only come from their minds.
Something that obviously frustrated them.
It was their frustrations that they were venting and they wrongly accused me of resembling what frustrates them.

Their frustrations were misdirected.
My frustration deals directly with their posts. Post that they made.
I did not make or write anything that resembles their accusations.

Sure, there are frustrations on both sides.
No irony though, as they criticized me for something I never wrote or meant.
I criticized them for that.
Big difference.

flaneur001 Posted: 12/15/2014 504 PM in The Coffee Date

AWESOME: I'm assuming that you are reacting this way because you feel misrepresented with your intention regarding your 'tomboy' thread. You seem stuck on trying to get people to understand what you meant and you are wanting to get back on track with this thread. You are assuming that you will have a rational discussion here. If you were here 6 months ago your chances would have been greater, or at least the response would have been more civil.

I said this to a poster on a thread earlier today and I believe it applies to you as well :

...You appear to be operating on the assumption that when you are attacked you should respond. You really don't, people on the forum can distinguish between posters who are kind, thoughtful and sage in their opinions and advise and those who are emotionally unstable, cruel and mean spirited.

Do what most of us do, ignore them! They need someone to scapegoat, bully and play with...don't be that someone....

You are right flaneur001.
I would then just be wading through the attackers and responding to the few that can discuss civilly.
We would then have a laugh and wonder when one of them would get tired of us ignoring the attacks.... and then start attacking each other and maybe, big MAYBE...realize that they resembled their accusations.

Thanks for the response
shakti_
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/16/2014 6:00:34 AM

Am I surprised at the low level of English Comprehension on a free forum?

If you think that is bad, you should see the people who fail to use hyphens and proper punctuation.
 DameWrite
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2014 2:31:10 AM
Ive come to think that most people on here are either drunk, religious, mentally troubled or are drug addicts or...they are killing time.

Few are sincerely trying to be helpful.

Comprehension would be a stretch if you factor that in.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/24/2014 10:53:54 AM
Agreed..... and I'm just killing time.
 satx78218
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2014 4:59:50 AM
English comprehension situation will take it up to the next level going forward into the future of the next time period, if you will.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/25/2014 1:21:32 PM

drunk, mentally troubled, drug addict, time killer.

Wow, nailed it/me.

A forum community is typically a cross section of society that is (at least) versed to some degree. The forum requires a level of reading and writing that most people would consider work or wasted effort. I digress, the point is - for the most part yes, formers are educated and cognitively engaging. The POF community (outside the forum) is the mix bag, I've had some conversations that really missed the mark because sometimes these girls can't understand me, its like the plane flying over a pond of goldfish
and I don't know I think some girls are actually goldfish, posing a girls.

Few are helpful? I think the majority are, but uh, sometimes you have to read between the lines to see what a person is really saying. I despise for example, being indirectly insulted. It is always delivered to trivialize, or attempt to scale your opinion to try and hole you in.
Posted: 12/30/2014 11:03:50 AM
On the one hand, I'm a bit picky with people's spelling and some grammar, because I feel that despite anything else there should at least be a common standard of vocabulary and spelling that people are able to meet. But on the other hand, with some possibly self-contradictory and double-standard irony, I admit that my understanding of things like colons and semi colons isn't so great, which is why, at least in places like these forums, I tend to overuse weird compound sentences and rely on the three-dots, the dash, and the comma, where I could probably do better with proper use of colons and semi colons.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > English Comprehension or State of the Forum (society) ?