Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Do you have a method for retaining information (in your mind)?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gingerosity
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Do you have a method for retaining information (in your mind)?Page 1 of 1    
Only time I've needed tricks was studying for exams. The most important thing for remembing lots of stuff was to ensure I broke the information up, re-organised it, made flow charts or mnemonics, drew diagrams, challenged myself to fill in gaps without looking at the source material... anything to make it visual and make my mind actively retrieve pieces and connect the information together rather than just try to absorb it wholesale by reading.

At the time I hadn't heard about the method of loci, but what I developed by trial and error was basically the same thing or near enough to work for me.

Also realise that we have a limited memory capacity, so you shouldn't be trying to memorise minutiae unless it's necessary for an exam or it's an area you're especially interested in really understanding and retaining in full technicolor. In general, awareness of and ability to access information plus understanding of its inter-relationships are far more important than the particular bits of data.
 _shakti_
Msg: 4
Do you have a method for retaining information (in your mind)?
Posted: 12/21/2014 2:49:57 AM

I think part of the problem is that, in a way, I'm selfish with it comes to consuming information. Basically, it's much easier for me to digest information that directly affects me. I guess it's only natural to pay more attention to news that's related to you in concrete way. It's only a theory of mine.
Have you heard of the monkeysphere (http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html)?

I have a similar thing, if I'm highly interested in something? Intrigued somehow? Engaged on a deeper level? I will remember it forever. It amazes me some of the stuff I'm able to recall.

But on the flip side, if I could care less? It's not sticking. I can watch a movie and forget I ever saw it a week later- I'm not exaggerating. That's how I know if I like a movie, I'll remember it.

Personally, I don't worry about the stuff I'm not retaining, I feel like my brain has developed it's own 'triage' system, and I'm kinda cool with it.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/21/2014 2:37:22 PM
Those examples certainly sound like nothing unusual. Use mnemonics if you want to remember a specific tid bit, like a name or a place..or a date.
We could all remember lots of details if we put effort into it.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2014 3:33:22 PM
I have noticed primarily, that the number one reason I fail to retain information, is the same reason why I lose track of physical possessions.

That is, I don't have a specific place to put them.

When I do want or need to remember something, I have to put in the work to build a structure for the information in my mind. That takes several tries with complex subjects, because my first few attempts will naturally fail, because I guess wrong about how one piece of data relates to another.

Mnemonic memorization tricks, and systems like visualized filing systems work the same way (they don't work for me, because I hate putting new "furniture" in my head).

A good teacher will present the student with the structure they need, in order to put data in order. It's trickier when you try to do it yourself.

One reason you may be running into more problems recently, is that you've exited the age where data structures are built into all aspects of society, and entered fields where specialization means you have no existing data structures to put the new information into.

My solution: find the right teacher. In self-educating situations, that means trying out different textbook authors until I find one who does as I need, and tells me both the immediate information, and the position in the "big picture" that it belongs in and why. That allows me to build the required mental data storage structure as I am learning.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/26/2014 6:31:03 PM
It's not a problem.
It's natural to retain only information that directly affects you and that soley benefits you.
The rest is just noise.

If I am designing a greenhouse, I find myself constantly thinking about it.
And then I forget what someone said about a sale on orange juice.
My brain had already categorized the OJ as something not as important as the complexities that designing the greenhouse requires.
Posted: 12/29/2014 8:48:44 AM
I was going to post something here. But I forgot what I was going to say.

Wait, what is this thread even about again? Damit...I need to go back and re-read the op again.
Posted: 12/29/2014 8:55:44 AM
Oh, I remember now -

Why some are "interested" in certain things while others aren't interested...and therefore either pay attention, seek it out, and/or remember anything about it...I'm not sure. But, I've always been interested in lots of things that don't have a "direct concrete bearing" on me or my life...according, at least, to how others think...and I remember bits of this and that. And I always find that those things do indeed have a bearing on me and my life, and they greatly enrich my experience of living and of the world.

The problem or discrepancy, I've always supposed, is in the area of why someone is interested or disinterested in something in the first place...why some decide that certain things are useless or irrelevant, while others are open to learning for the sake of learning, understanding that it will never be irrelevant.

It's not a problem.
It's natural to retain only information that directly affects you and that soley benefits you.
The rest is just noise.

If I am designing a greenhouse, I find myself constantly thinking about it.
And then I forget what someone said about a sale on orange juice.
My brain had already categorized the OJ as something not as important as the complexities that designing the greenhouse requires.

I see this as slightly different - I can multi-task, generally speaking, but if I'm involved in something or already running a short to-do list in my head, and somebody wants to blabber about something or inform me of something...I'm going to forget that sh*t. Don't tell me something important while I'm otherwise engaged and expect me to remember that you even talked to me.
 robaustralia
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/29/2014 2:27:45 PM
To all the women out there, I am so jealous. It is thought that women have better memory capacity than us mere males. I tend to think it is true. My ex wife had a good knack of remembering where everything was in our house. I can remember many times, searching far and wide for something and not being able to find it , then when she came home she could tell me exactly where it was and it wasn't a case of her putting it there, whatever I was looking for was exactly where I had put it.

She could recall conversations many years previously that I couldn't recall, (sometimes I think she was lying, but that is another issue).

I have a twin sister and of course we share childhood memories, however she can recall vividly some things that I can only vaguely remember. Even the old black and white school photos that don't have names on them, she can remember everyone's name, whereupon I can't.

Us mere males can enjoy doing brain dead stuff like fishing for hours on end. My son and daughter are only a year apart and when I first took them fishing my son was quite happy to sit there quietly and wait for the fish to bite. Not my daughter though, she couldn't keep quiet for five minutes!

My brother played football and one year his team lost the grand final, so he carried that bad memory until the next year when his team won the grand final. He tells me he had vivid memories of the losing day until the winning day happened, he now says that he can hardly remember anything about the losing day . So I think the point of that is a good memory about some event will erase the bad memory of a similar event.

It is really weird when you get older like me how sometimes a memory of something that happened a long time ago flashes into your head for no reason and you think oh crap, wonder why I was thinking about that. Sometimes it a good memory and sometimes a bad one. Must be a part of ageing as you must get more reflective of past events in your life.

Someone said about remembering things to assist with exams. I remember doing that and it is called learning by rote. Which was a common thing in my school days in things such as times tables and spelling . It is a little disappointing nowadays that those methods have been disregarded . My 12 yo niece can't tell me what 12 x 12 equals without a calculator. Whereas most people of my vintage can tell you the answer off the top of their head.

To answer the OP's question, I think a good method of remembering something is to write it down.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/29/2014 2:49:11 PM
Not all information is worth storing into our long term memory. It is a process, information first travel to our short-term memory and of that, only a small % makes it to our long-term memories. Memories which have emotional ties attached to them tend to make it to our long-term memory, hence our uncanny ability to remember all the bad things about someone rather than their good things, bad things have a stronger emotional impact.

When I want to remember something, learn something, or something becomes important in my life, I dream about it. It's not something that I do on purpose, it happens automatically. Whenever I've gotten a new job, I train for the job in my dreams and when I go to work (in real life), I already know what I'm supposed to do. When I have an exam, I dream about taking the exam, I study in my dreams, and I'm automatically prepared by time I wake up. I wouldn't call it lucid dreaming because I'm not aware that I'm dreaming while I'm dreaming it and therefore I'm not in control of the dream.

I meditate and practice yoga a lot, and such is a way of organizing my mind, my thoughts, prioritizing my feelings, asking for positive things to make themselves present and for the negative things to find a way out of my life. In a meditative state, you manifest many things and such chooses to do so in their own form. I'm not afraid to ask for what I need or want, and such has a way of speaking itself into existence.

If it's important for you to remember things like articles you read, try summarizing it in your own words, you may have better look remembering the summary you wrote (because you wrote it), rather than something written by someone to whom you have no connection.
 bluespikedshell
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2014 12:56:42 PM
For me it depends on how interested I am on the subject I'm learning about.
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/5/2015 8:08:14 PM
I generally do my best to not pay attention -too much stuff bouncing around in there already.

(I look at life like one of those computer generated hidden image things -focusing not on the many things something might mean -but what it does mean. Evil lives in suggestivity -I prefer literality. The things we are bombarded with daily -meant to manipulate us -blind us to the world and the truth which should be readily apparent. )

There are some exceptions -important people -important subjects -truth.....

(I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick a** -and I'm all out of bubblegum) 8)
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/6/2015 6:55:36 AM

I think the first thing people need to know is that your memories are not of the events, but of the last time you recalled the event.

As you do not remember the event, but you remember remembering the event.
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/6/2015 4:53:37 PM
I just did some zumba after eating 8 tacos -I need to forget that experience
 _babblefish
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/8/2015 10:13:34 AM
post its, the sticky stuff is hell on the hair
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/9/2015 7:18:53 AM
"I just did some zumba after eating 8 tacos -I need to forget that experience"

You probably need to get that image out of your mind, too. It really isn't pretty. Good exercise, though.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2015 5:42:18 AM
When something interests me that I read, I retain it. I may not can quote it word for word but its there.
If I get involved physically in what I want to remember even better, but that doesnt help in many subjects.

I have found putting" it" to music ( a fav song melody) helps or writing the info down in my own handwriting helps me retain things that do not interest me.
It was a good study tactic .I remember writing some things down 5 or 6 times before it would sink in.

Understanding it is imperative for me in some subjects I want to remember.
Memorizing and not knowing what it actually means,( for me) it wont stay long.

When remembering names of people I do association.
Gloria.. G L O R I A glooooooooooria
Mary Ann..The professor and Mary Ann ( here on Gilligans isle)
 mark/1948
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2015 11:26:10 AM
i think coach from cheers had it pegged: ah 1, ah 2 albania https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F_tT-q8EF0
 xlr8ingme
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/29/2015 9:54:11 PM
OP- I have a seizure disorder from being in a severe car accident many years ago. At one time when I was very ill, and I couldn't even remember my own children. Through therapy, and medication, I have been seizure free for over 18 years. However older memories are like a scratched record, or a CD that skips badly.

I have a method for retaining information I need to recall. It might sound like a pain in the "a" to do, but it most certainly has worked for me all these years. First of all I keep a journal of basic daily events so I have a concrete timeline of when things have occurred, like reading an article or book I wish to remember. Then I write out a brief summary of it, while reading it out loud so I can hear myself. I make a recording of this, listen to it several times while reading the summary, and then months later I can actually remember it. Something about writing, reading it out loud, and hearing myself several times, commits thing to my long term memory.

If you are still here reading your thread O.P. this method might help.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/30/2015 9:00:33 PM

When remembering names of people I do association.
Gloria.. G L O R I A glooooooooooria
Mary Ann..The professor and Mary Ann ( here on Gilligans isle)

Of course, you would remember Mary Ann from the days you played Ginger on the show.

Just for the record, I always preferred you over her.

Just sayin'.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2015 12:33:03 PM

I forgot what I was going to say.

It will come to you at 3:30 a.m. tomorrow, then you will say DAM IT!!!

I always preferred you over her.

*Bats eyelashes*..
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Do you have a method for retaining information (in your mind)?