Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > women with criminal records/ time served.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Verissa
Msg: 1
women with criminal records/ time served.Page 1 of 1    
I've read several threads on men and their criminal records or time served. But what about women and criminal records, time served, how do men feel about that. You meet an incredible woman, you both fall and then she explains she has a criminal record, she served time in prison. How would you react?
 blueguy99881
Msg: 2
women with criminal records/ time served.
Posted: 12/30/2014 12:13:38 AM
Interesting question. For me it all depends. Granted if she was convicted of a class a felony or just has a long track record of trouble..... Well I couldn't see us as a match. But I known some women who's gotten an owi in the past. They now have jobs, are responsible. Past is the past. No one is perfect. It's the recidivists that I have an issue with.

But, I'm just one guy. Let's see what the others have to say.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/30/2014 12:35:39 AM

You meet an incredible woman, you both fall and then she explains she has a criminal record, she served time in prison. How would you react?

In PRISON, not jail? Okay, so we're talking felony -- like what one has to put on job applications. Alright. Yeah, it would depend on When, etc. But it ups the ante in risk of an LTR in most cases. If she's 35 but explains that when she was a teen she was stealing like crazy after her mom died or something -- and had a felony charge on that, that may be OK.

It's not an auto deal-breaker. I wouldn't expect her to say something if she only spent a short amount of time in the clink anyway, if it had nothing to do with any current issues she has as a person in modern day. But it's certainly nothing to take lightly. It's an exception that it wouldn't totally break things, not the rule.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2014 3:30:00 AM

You meet an incredible woman, you both fall and then she explains she has a criminal record, she served time in prison. How would you react?

If you have already fallen in love with her it shouldnt matter a great deal.

If it were early on in a relationship where we were still getting to know each other Id be shocked of course, who wouldn't be. But then it all depends on the context.

If it was "It was a long time ago, I got mixed up in some bad stuff but that's all behind me now." Then I would probably be able to look beyond it without much trouble.

However if it was more like "I just got out like 3 months ago, it was all BS all I did was X, they should never have sent me way for it etc etc" Then I might have to think hard about how much I trust this person, and if it's someone I could have a stable relationship with.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2014 4:26:27 AM
As with pretty much all things, I imagine I would react with curiosity. I would want to know the details of why, what she'd decided about it, how it continued to affect her life and the way that she deals with the world. The details would determine whether or not it would cause a compatibility issue for us.

Because of what I've been through in life, I know that I would neither instantly reject, or take the side of someone who has something like that in their background.
 basilisk123
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2014 6:03:41 AM
It would be a case by case basis.
Something like shop lifting, I wouldn't care. mmanslaughter, I would be cautious, but as long as it was a total accident, it would be OK.
Pedophilia, I would hang that **** myself.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/30/2014 6:40:28 AM
No Way!! Why subject yourself to the drama..too many other great women out there too choose from
 Walts
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/30/2014 7:53:21 AM
I think I would have to ask what did you do, and how stupid were you to get caught doing whatever you did?

Very relevant, especially the getting caught part.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/30/2014 7:59:31 AM
If a potential date was held overnight for underage drinking at Fort Lauderdale Spring Break in 1986, things like that can almost certainly be overlooked. If a woman actually went to prison along the way, that is a different story.
 _shakti_
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/30/2014 8:00:52 AM
Get a pardon, then it's a non-issue :)
 bluespikedshell
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2014 8:44:39 AM
For me I think it would depend on the crime (s).
 RememberTomorrow_
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/30/2014 9:25:52 AM
If jail time really fixed them to become a reasonable person, then yes. But, more than likely they are damaged goods. There's so few women compared to guys when it comes to incarceration rate it's really a non-issue.
 BussOfEsprit
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/30/2014 9:58:43 AM

As with pretty much all things, I imagine I would react with curiosity. I would want to know the details of why, what she'd decided about it, how it continued to affect her life and the way that she deals with the world. The details would determine whether or not it would cause a compatibility issue for us.

Because of what I've been through in life, I know that I would neither instantly reject, or take the side of someone who has something like that in their background.

+1
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/30/2014 6:43:21 PM
I would need to know the details before deciding, but chances are pretty high it would likely be a no go.
 Verissa
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/30/2014 10:43:12 PM
Get a pardon, then it's a non-issue :)

Shakti That doesn't change the fact that she has a criminal record, it's then a lie by omission.

In PRISON, not jail? Okay, so we're talking felony

norwegianguy123 American and Canadian criminal classifications are different, but yes, your classification was what I referring to, someone who may have served time for one time indictable offence, which in American terms is a felony. There is no jail vs. prison in Canada, there is just maximum to minimum security prisons; Provincial to Federal, the level of security is based on the severity of the crime and the amount of threat of re-offense, or danger to society, the subject poses.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/30/2014 11:54:42 PM
Martha Stewart has a felony

Either they trafficked, extorted, were deceitful in a big way, or they physically harmed someone.

Other then that the charges that get you jailed for whatever can be pretty minor. So yeah, depends on the crime.
 _shakti_
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/31/2014 7:09:21 AM

Shakti That doesn't change the fact that she has a criminal record, it's then a lie by omission.
A pardon erases the criminal record (that is the whole purpose, lol), it won't show up on searches. If she doesn't have to declare it to an employer, why should she have to to a date?
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/31/2014 7:30:41 AM

American and Canadian criminal classifications are different,

Yes, Canada is about moose & hockey (and Tim Horton's, which I'm eating right now actually).

A pardon erases the criminal record (that is the whole purpose, lol), it won't show up on searches. If she doesn't have to declare it to an employer, why should she have to to a date?

I agree. Or, after a while, many criminal offenses are "off the record". So a more closely related question would be: If they can't bring it up in court as a "past offense" against the person, why would said person have to bring it up to a date?
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > women with criminal records/ time served.