Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Back after 10 years, can't believe I remembered my password.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 StandUp Guy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Back after 10 years, can't believe I remembered my password.Page 1 of 1    
Hello fish friends, I'm back ...

I have done my homework, I have been reading the profile threads here and other various articles.
I have been tweaking my profile...writing and re-writing...gathering photos. It's been a few weeks and I have had some limited success with connections, but obviously I want to do better.

<<The photos have a couple of different expressions and looks, I think/hope.
I realize I lack some photos of just having fun with friends. I will get something up soon along those lines next.

I got thick skin. I look forward to the abuse... thanks in advance!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 2
Back after 10 years, can't believe I remembered my password.
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:26:55 AM
Good on you for recalling your password after a decade.
That is clear evidence that you are not suffering from dementia!
Discard the "closing sentence" of asking singles to write...they will if interested.

Your sense of humor is evident in your narrative.
POF puts interests into 3 columns. My suggestion is to list 9,12, or 15 total interests as it looks sharp, provides a comprehensive list, and limits the amount of scrolling the reader must do. Good luck. :-)
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:27:14 AM
I just asked on a first date at a library! I thought that was cool.

That sentence needs fixed, and I might not have so many options in the first date category.

I'd take out the I hope you like .... the last word "moisturizing". It's too feminine, IMO.

My apologies since you didn't ask for personal comments, but the first thing I noticed in your photo was your glasses. Your blue eyes are an assets. I would get rid of any of the glasses in which your eyes are not in the center of the glass (some pairs look great, some are distracting). They stand out so much being so blue that it is noticeable that it is off balance (the glasses that aren't the right "fit"). It gave me a 'what's wrong with this picture' first impression and I realized it was the glasses off center pretty quickly. You probably don't want that to be people's first reaction to your photo.

CuriousInDB
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:28:48 AM

I got thick skin. I look forward to the abuse

You sure? I think he means it everyone. He's already looked at my profile. He's read a few other reviews here, probably the profile review on my new young friend out in Missouri.

Congrats on remembering your password. That's incredible. The header is overused. You can do better.

I see quite a few typos, mainly punctuation, there. Seem to be extra commas? You have so many interest I wonder why you haven't listed more? I'd drop the bubble wrap. I see that a lot.

I'd probably leave the references to your sister/family out unless she's going on dates with you. One new person is enough to deal with for me.

Don't ask women to message you. I'd write more about your love of new things. That's an important personality trait and can be problematic if you meet a lot of folks who view everything new with suspicion. It has happened to me quite a few times.

Good luck, Scott. Sincerely, FH
 Ouija2025
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:35:09 AM
Was the password Scott 1? :/
Pictures, they should all be current. I know ppl would put up the school pictures if they could but they should be current
I read your posting history - some funny stuff
I like the text - you have been told to tidy up the errors.
Bit long and I'd fear you talk as much as me
Too much about cuddling, keeping you warm
Laughed about coats wearing sweaters
But, back after 10 years, looking for rebound woman?
 Forums_only
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:58:49 AM
That was a fun read, thank you. If I were looking, the intent would put me off. That's too bad.
 StandUp Guy
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2015 7:01:02 AM
Thanks all.
Great advice
I will make the changes today.

My posting history, 10 year old posts?
Uh-oh. I have to go back and see what I wrote, lol

Never heard that about the glasses, thanks.
 Ainen
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/13/2015 7:24:11 AM
Excellent photos and great text. Your profile is evidence online dating profiles were better in the "good old days" (am sure your photos are new, but you have the old school mentality).

The black & white photo: I figured you slid the glasses down for the photo to make your eyes completely visible.

In the first date section, you could just say library. If you mention another girl, readers might react negatively.

Nitpick: "wines.through" in the First Date section.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2015 7:24:59 AM
^^^ It's all good, and pretty funny :)
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/13/2015 7:37:48 AM

Was the password Scott 1? :/

Ouija, let me be nice, dammit.
Scott, to show you're here in good faith, how about changing your password now and telling us what your old one was?
 StandUp Guy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2015 8:51:54 AM

Scott, to show you're here in good faith, how about changing your password now and telling us what your old one was?

Ha!
I don't dare change my password, I might need it again in 10 years.

That was a fun read, thank you. If I were looking, the intent would put me off. That's too bad.

Forgive me, I'm not sure what you mean here,^^^ intent?

Thanks again for all the feedback.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/13/2015 9:01:44 AM
Intent = "Wants to date but nothing serious"
Very few women in your age range are looking for that.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/13/2015 9:36:51 AM
"Wants to date but nothing serious" means "wants casual sex" in online dating. Your humor, intelligence and joie de vivre flow through your profile. Well done. Reading your profile, I felt excited about you until I saw your intent. That stopped me cold.

Be honest about your intentions. Don't mislead women. Realize that "wants to date but nothing serious" greatly reduces the number of interested women. Most women are looking for a loving, committed relationship, especially in your age group.

Also please caption and date each photo- giving the location and year- to make the photos more interesting and clear.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/13/2015 10:14:59 AM

Back after 10 years

An eternity in online dating terms.

Oh, how the climate has changed since then.

Remember those days of "instant chat"? Gone.

Remember when lots of women replied and initiated messages? Gone.

My best advice is to use as much witty clean humor as possible in profile and messages and hope it starts to get appreciated like it was 10 years ago.
 StandUp Guy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2015 10:22:54 AM
Excellent.
I changed the intent and added more info in the picture captions.

good stuff, thanks all
 sandytm
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/14/2015 2:28:35 PM
There is something-something about your hair. An updated trim would make it look more natural.
 petula1908
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/14/2015 4:04:17 PM
You seem athletic and tall but we cant tell by those pics. Get a few more up close and clear. Women want to see you only and not a bunch of friends, your car, your cat or your kids. This is a dating site. Lose the shots in sunglasses, waste of space. The header is not positive either, makes you seem like an old unfit man..... Find something humourous and eyecatching to say.

Times have changed and you are that much older and you will find that it is more difficult to make connections on a site like this. So many men, with so few genuine women and we have learned to be very wary these days.
 midnite_icecream
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:29:41 AM
There's a topic heading you don't see everyday in profile reviews... Forgive if this sounds totally dunce but regarding the 30 properties you manage in Keystone, I can't see where it's connected to an occupation. If you own a sizeable property portfolio, better not to disclose it to avoid gold diggers. Though if you live in a well-to-do area, theres already the implication you're not short of a penny. And honestly, my thought after reading this and then the busking for tips, is that you should donate every cent to charity! Anyway, that was the one thing in your text that stuck out as confusing to me. I agree with the other comment about the hair, I don't know whether it's because it doesn't give off a natural vibe or because it projects a recapturing of/holding on to youth. It's not for you I'm afraid..yet, the longer I stare at it, the more I get used to it..ah well, do what you want with it. I dislike the studio type shot, it's like a grown up version of the school photo head shot (or like the yearbook photos you guys have). The goatee suits you but keep it trim. Great pic of you in the black hat, would've been a cool profile pic if not for the sunnies but the shady bit might of hid the eyes (talk about nitpick). Pity the unicycle pic wasn't 100% in sharp focus, it makes for a great pic, very unique. And agree with above, the header makes you sound old and weary. If I'm not mistaken I take it the reference to "moisturizing" , besides understanding the necessity of it in cold climes, was included as humour.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:58:29 AM

Forgive if this sounds totally dunce but regarding the 30 properties you manage in Keystone

Totally agree with this, Scott. I'm telling guys here and irl all the time to keep those things to themselves. Don't invite women like that to contact you. It happens enough as it is.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/15/2015 9:41:21 AM
Hello, OP,

I, too, have spotted some errors; mak ly a no ber of comma splices and absences of commas in sentences where they are needed. Purdue OWL has tips on punctuation.

As for the rest of your writing, you have a great sense of humor and less sexual overtures than most in your profile, though I'd can the part about hugs and staying warm. Eventually, you'll meet your snow angel and have plenty of the toasty warm nights.

Cheers.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/16/2015 10:24:44 AM
Speaking of errors, I have quite a few of my own, on this review. :)

Cheers
 StandUp Guy
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2015 8:51:07 AM
I work in Property management, hence the 30 rooms. I cleaned that up a bit.

Photos changed up a bit

Thanks for notes!

Still looking for errors, hard to spot extra spaces and such in that edit window...I'll keep checking.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/17/2015 9:16:58 AM
"I work in Property management, hence the 30 rooms. I cleaned that up a bit."
So is the property management is something you do for kicks, or is that your profession? I ask because in the online world people tend to forget reality and focus on fantasy, misleading others and causing distress down the road.
I also notice all your headshots are taken from one side. Interesting.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Back after 10 years, can't believe I remembered my password.