Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Over the years, what animals have you owned? Relationship impact?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Qura
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Over the years, what animals have you owned? Relationship impact?Page 1 of 1    
Just a fun/silly question (I hope).

I feel like I've owned a lot of different animals--from my chameleon that would only eat live flies and perished in the long winter of '68 although I scoured every house in our upstate New York neighborhood and fed him regularly (I got really good at catching live flies!), through bunnies, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, ferrets, birds, fish, one cat (long, long ago, b/4 allergies became apparent), turtles, hermit crabs, and horses.

My first dog, an Australian Shepherd born deaf--that is, the first that was "mine"--was the one who had my heart like no other. I didn't date guys if my dog didn't like them--which was readily apparent, since in those days, my dog went everywhere with me (or rather, I didn't do a lot of stuff where my dog couldn't tag alone). "D" and I put in a lot of miles together--running, driving, hiking, walking, swimming in ponds and rivers (man, those were great days!)--and I wonder if I will ever feel that way about a pet again. Hard to imagine.

I've been totally devoted to herding dogs since him, too, although I have had a poodle, a beagle, and 2 Great Danes (my next favorite). Anyone else into herding dogs? Do you trust their instincts? I have lots of stories that show how smart and careful and protective in a 100% appropriate way my herding dogs have been.

I'm sure lots of us have great memories of our wonderful animal friends. Share if you will!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 2
Over the years, what animals have you owned? Relationship impact?
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:22:47 PM
Wonderful Australian Shepherd story. Love of mine had one. One Sunday morning a neighbor called, and seriously overstayed his welcome. Finally, Edwin, in frustration said, Well, you should probably leave as I have so much to do. Neighbor said, I'd really like to. Could you get your dog to let me go? Edwin looked over at Feziwig, stationed at the door--who every time the neighbor *moved* just quietly bared his teeth. Guy'd been trying to leave for an hour. . . . He said that reading a book on wolves was much more useful to him than any book on dog training.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2015 7:26:28 PM
I too am a devoted Aussie owner. My current two came from National Aussie rescue. As it turned out, both are mixes, but retain the intelligence of the breed. I just wish that my largest hadn't learned to rub against my leg like a cat.

For the most part, Aussies have that uncanny ability to sense if their owners like or dislike a person. And also "bite" people that they don't trust. (My previous group did that several times) What amazes me about them is that you must do everything the same way, every day. I really believe that they can think, and reason things out. And master really dumb tricks. I had one that would look for "IT" If I asked her. Of course she never knew what "IT" was, yet she'd go looking. Another would step on her bowl, and spill dog food everywhere. She wouldn't eat a bit of it until I got down on my hands and knees, and tell her to eat the pieces of dog food that I pointed at.

My current two didn't trust anyone that my ex brought over to help her move out. I had to put them out as they did it, because I was afraid that they would get bit. As far as I concerned, I'll have Aussies, only.
 Qura
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2015 5:49:42 PM
Hey, Purple. My Aussies have always been on high alert with strangers, but have never growled anyone--but it is the posture of attention and watchfulness, esp. when someone approached my kids, that was so interesting.

My deaf Aussie learned so many things-he clearly thought through things, too. My dad--who is not a big "dog person" could not get over some of the things my beloved Darcy did. I miss that dog, 24 years after he passed.

Enjoy yours!
 Dee4166
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2015 12:24:45 PM
Well my boy Squeek was a 135lbs of muscular German Shepherd and was quite useful while I was dating....

I NEVER had ANY worries whatsoever about some guy following me home or trying to stalk me etc.

Just never crossed my mind...
Squeek was generally a good dog loyal, FULL of heart, smart and great with kids, but when he didn't like someone, there was just NO changing his mind....lol

He would sit in an alert but relaxed manner close to where I was with whomever he didn't like, and just STARE at them, until they moved, twitched or tried to scratch that is...when he would LEAP to his feet and become rigid with contained energy, watching them for any 'sudden moves"....There never WERE any of those...most folks were smart enough to stay put and FREEZE!!!! LOL
He was an intimidating dog due to his size and colouring and there were many men who felt threatened by him even when he wasn't trying to be threatening....
Ah well....there was NEVER a question of my getting rid of him because he was DEFINITELY one of the "loves of my Life", while I had him....

He didn't do that often, but when he did I paid ATTENTION and he WAS a pretty good judge of character!
We went through a LOT together, he and I, in the 9 years that I was "gifted" to have him....

It's been 7 years since he passed and I STILL miss him.....

I'm an animal lover too, have had cats and dogs as well as ferrets, tarantulas, fish, rabbits. mice, guinea pigs, etc. throughout my Life....and when I am in the position again, I would like to get another pet....so I would definitely have to be with someone who is an animal lover....
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2015 7:28:27 PM
I have had cats in my life since I was six years old.

My ex-husband and his brothers had a dog and a rooster growing up. But he really grew to like cats.

I understand that some people are allergic, and I tell people, or any potential dates right off that I have two cats. If they tell me that is "not acceptable", I tell them, "neither are you."
 hotdogshop100
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/23/2015 9:12:52 AM
You don't need a standard police dog to necessarily scare people. I use to have a Rhodesian ridgeback a few years back who was 85lbs. When ever a service person came by such as cable or plumber they'd always ask if he would attack them.
 Dee4166
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 9:30:22 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^

You are 100% right on that one...When I had my dog walking business many years ago, I would have people crossing the STREET just so they could keep a "safe distance" from the dogs I walked...mostly blonde Labs, Poodles, etc.
I always think what a SHAME it is when people are so ignorant about animals...they miss out on SO much!
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 9:32:51 AM
I like some breeds of dogs, too, but don't have the kind of time that is necessary to properly care for one, and I would never, ever, have a dog and have it chained in the backyard, like some people do. And if I met a man who had a dog, and he didn't treat it like a member of the family (within reason), I would have no time for him, either.
 Dee4166
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 9:46:45 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed!!!

I am ALSO a big cat lover, too...I've had two in my Life...one when I was a child who lived for 18 yrs, and my Jerome...COOLEST orange tabby EVER with pumpkin coloured eyes....he went to 16....

Am thinking of getting another soon, but my work schedule is murder right now and I am actually away from home for days at a time, which wouldn't be fair to even the most independent cat....
I'm really feeling the need for "another heartbeat in the house"....
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 9:48:12 AM
Orange male cats are the sweetest.......

My two tortoiseshells have "tortitude" big time, but I love them!
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/23/2015 6:58:02 PM
I have 8 cats--4 boys, 4 girls

One of the boys, Alley is an orange Tabby
the other 3 are all tuxies, Laddy Boy, Carlito & Oreo

Girls: Fireball a gray Ragamuffin Tabby
Nanci a gray Abyssinian
Miss Jezzabelle Velour- dilute calico
Lil Kitty- tuxedo- white face w/ a black hitler-like mustache

4 were going to be killed in NYC, the other 4 were local from a no kill shelter
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2015 6:34:04 PM
I once met an Irish Wolfhound.....we were practically "eye to eye"......but I knew better than to stare.......that doggy weighed more than I did at the time.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2015 6:14:57 PM
Oluben, I am more of a "cat person", too......but I saw a sweet Pug puppy.......and I wanted so bad to take her home with me.......
 JoeBnD
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/6/2015 6:42:30 PM
Wolf/Husky hybrid. No impact.
Golden Retriever. No impact.
CĀ°cker Spaniel. No impact.
Palomino horse. No impact.

Cheating ex-wife. Big impact.
 Dee4166
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2015 5:16:13 AM
@Star...I actually took care of 5 Irish Wolfhounds and a greyhound that were owned by a client of mine....Great dogs!!!
Only time my Squeek was the SMALLEST in the pack!!! LOL
But it was good for his humility! lol
@Oluben...LMAO I didn't have them all TOGETHER!!!! No, the list was from since I was a girl....
In fact had my cat Jerome when I first got my dog, and he was a bit older then, around 12, and, being an outdoor/indoor cat, he ended up moving upstairs to my neighbour's house as he got fed up with the dog bothering him....She actually ended up keeping him when I moved, as, when I went up to get him, she met me at the door CRYING and I knew that he had found a good home for himself, and heartbreaking as it was, I left him there as I realized that SHE needed him more than I did....
We kept in contact until he passed, and he had a good Life and was very happy there....
Made me realize that pets, like people, sometimes have their own path to walk in this Life, and that we should be grateful for the time that we get to spend with them.
@BL...Tortoiseshells are the best...kinda like the female equivalent of the orange (mostly male) 'Tabby's....

@BA...It's great that you have saved so many cats...Nothing more rewarding than rescuing an animal....although I always feel like I've been the one "rescued"!

@Joe......
Ahhh, Joe, Joe, Joe.....I REALLY wish you could meet a NICE woman....and discover that we ALL aren't cheating skanks....I really DO wish that for you Joe, cause I feel that you aren't a bad guy, just been dealt a bad hand and I know it's not fun to be where you are, having been there myself, many years ago....Take care of yourself...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Over the years, what animals have you owned? Relationship impact?