Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men Who Never Learned to Cook      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 1
Men Who Never Learned to CookPage 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Are you a man who never learned to cook? Ladies, how do you feel about men who are unable to cook?

“For 40 years my husband never cooked a thing,” my friend Billie, 75, said. “It was a huge burden for me to make all the meals. After he died, I decided I will never live with a man who cannot cook again.”

Inability to cook is a deal breaker for me. I’m not willing to be a kitchen slave.

I briefly dated three men who never learned to cook. I felt food-insecure in their homes. They were all smart men: a judge, attorney and computer software engineer.

“How do you slice a lemon?” Jim asked at my house. I had to show him. The man didn’t even know how to use a blender. He was a kid-adult.

With these men, I wound up planning and cooking all meals. That got old fast.
 daynadaze
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Men Who Never Learned to Cook
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:27:07 PM
Sounds like learned helplessness, or manipulation, anyone can heat up a hot dog even if they can't figure out how to use a microwave (cough cough) they can turn on a burner and hold the wiener over it with a fork. I'm not buying it. Now can someone cook well or not, that's different. But I bet no man who swears he can't cook ever died of starvation when left alone.

LOL if society ends I want to be in the first wave of people who died quickly. I have no desire to become Mad Max.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:30:04 PM
if society had ended when we were dating, Jim would have been among the first to be eaten by a roving tribe of cannibals.

Of course while strong men are hunting animals for food and building log houses, I would be passing through the digestive system of wolves.
 south_city
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:33:12 PM
I'm not an expert at cooking. But I think most people know how to cook or make basic things. Hot dogs, pasta, eggs, make a sandwich etc.
 mike11091
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:45:35 PM

Sounds like learned helplessness, or manipulation, anyone can heat up a hot dog even if they can't figure out how to use a microwave (cough cough) they can turn on a burner and hold the wiener over it with a fork.

I agree. Though I'm not sure as to the reason.

I've seen my own father, for example, skin and roast a fish over a fire on camping trips. However, when it comes to anything in the kitchen, he seems to act like a rambling cave man. (UG! Magic FIRE! *slaps microwave*).

Personally, I find nothing wrong with preparing my own meals. However, my current GF has children that she makes meals for. I try to help as much as possible, but I won't ever outright cook a meal for her kids because, while I CAN feed myself, it's generally a bad idea to expect me to prepare a traditional meal for a family. (I've burnt jello before). HOWEVER, she often will not LET me eat on my own. Not that I'm complaining, she just thinks the worst when it comes to my eating habits (despite my survival thus far).
 kj521
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:51:16 PM
I have never had a long term relationship with a man who couldn't cook....Liking to cook? Different story...

But I happen to be raising a son who will not be able to prepare anything unless it is microwaveable.

Which is why I am currently funding a dowry for him. :)
 tgif111
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:57:45 PM
so I guess all you women know how to fix a leak in your faucet or put in a new electrical outlet like I do?
 kj521
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:19 PM
^^^^^^Yes......some of us do!

I didn't prefer to know how to do some of these things.....but learned out of necessity...... :)

Forumuseronly
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:40 PM
This works both ways. I came across a number of profiles of women that said they couldn't or but would't cook. I enjoy cooking, although I find it sucks for one, but there's no way I'm going to do all of it in a relationship.
 aj7125
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:02:57 PM
I Can cook and I know I am not as good a cook as many women. But for anyone who can't cook and expects someone else to do it for them and the woman ok with it? I don't think so.
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:03:47 PM
There is a reason I date my ex hubby now. (Well a few)
When we were married, I cooked. Then he was on his own. Now he made the last 2 Turkeys & he knows all the good take out places, restaurants & now shops w/ coupons.

I turned him into a girl, LoL (not)

There are also many pre-cooked items of high quality available in a good market, so that makes it easy.

He always did a great job BBQ-ing though.

I dated quite a few who knew how to cook, but if they didn't, as long as they like going out to eat or take out, I don't care.

Now that we are older, it is better to eat less & better quality, so a grilled chicken breast or turkey breast & a grilled veggie or salad is best. Anyone can do that IMO. A George Foreman Grill, etc.

Breakfast in bed is nice & a heaping serving of sausage would not be turned down ;0P
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:10:36 PM
There is certainly a line between "do not know how" as contrasted with "not a favorite" daily task.
If I wish broiled seafood and root vegetables cooked in burgundy...there is a good chance I will visit a restaurant.

I will sometimes cook once per week to make a massive pot of chicken/vegetable/lentil/bean soup.
The extra goes into the refrigerator or freezer so that I can eat all week. Lots of icy protein smoothies in my diet, too.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:15:03 PM
Until it's time to fire up the grill. Then we're all about the nuances of "primitive cooking".
 aj7125
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:16:25 PM
Good post Blonde, I know you were kidding about turning your husband into a girl(I will draw the line at the coupon thing though....lol). I figure if I have a recipe or look up something I have never made, I am going to do it and if it isn't as good as what I have had before, I want to know how to do it better next time.

Just like laundry, when I was married many years ago, people were always surprised that I had always shared in doing the laundry, the dishes etc. I guess coming from family of twelve, a good idea on how to do chores and being responsible paid off. I will admit I did from time to time make little tiny Barbie outfits from my wifes "dry clean only" washings(whoops, my intentions were good) Yes, I did learn.
 petula1908
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:23:28 PM
Yes learned helplessness so you would take over the cooking chores. However I dont see a problem with it, these days there are micro wave ovens, ready made meals etc and if you are not into doing home cooked meals, not a problem. IN my country men often do the BBQ on week ends for instance. For me I like a mix of ready made and if in the mood, then I cook.

That a guy is not into cooking would not be a dealbreaker for me. "How do you slice a lemon?" Give me a break lol!!

Some women are hopeless at budgeting and finances and let the man manage that, for instance. Again, lack of interest rather than incompetence.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:27:18 PM
Jeez, what IS so blasted hard about cooking? I do, constantly. It's fun to sit back after cooking for company, and listen to them rave about it. I might have been a weird kid, but I helped my mom out in the kitchen, and learned how. And, I think microwaving food is a crime, unless it's for reheating leftovers. I do my share of grilling, too. Ever have a homemade pizza, fresh from the grill? ( I do the sauce too. From the jar is awful.)
 Walts
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:38:34 PM
I know quite a few women that don't have a clue in the kitchen. In fact, they would have a hard time burning a pot full of water.

Now, if I didn't know how to cook, I would be dead by now. Being the oldest of eight, my cooking starting when I was about 7 or 8 years old. Yeah, I know. Grilled cheese isn't much, but, again, it's better than what some women I know can do in their 40's.

I, in fact, love cooking. It just sucks that I'm usually doing it for one. That part is the hardest. Bonus, I always have something for lunch the next day.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:44:10 PM
I am the reason there are microwaves
Never scrambled eggs
never made cookies or a cake
Feed me! LOL
Serious, never scrambled eggs or make an omelette
My fav thing to make for dinner
a reservation :)
But I have found over the years many who think they can cook
Can't
 basilisk123
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:56:47 PM
I can cook a few favorite simple dishes. Thats about it.
 WALK4ESTWALK
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:59:50 PM
I like cooking. Role reversal for me and my GF. She ends up taking us out because she can't cook like I can. She's from Hawaii and prides herself on a dish called Portuguese Sausage Soup (which is very tasty), but that's about it for her cooking expertise (short of breakfast, which anyone can cook, IMO). I'm very proud of my cooking abilities. I have an extensive kitchen. Just last weekend she tried to cook for us and was looking for a colander, that when I got up she said "I was looking for your colander and figured you had everything else, where does he keep it." She did find it after looking through the cabinets in the garage. I do have everything except for a large mixer for dough. I prefer to eat at home as I know what my meal has gone through before I see it on a plate. I'm a very good cook and from my experience, most women have lost the art. It's not hard to do. Just get the necessities. I have a shelf with about 150 spices. I even have glassware for ice cream refreshments. I love cooking and finding new recipes. Chicken Marengo, Seafood Linguini, turning a nice roast into Philadelphia Cheese Steaks. I don't cook to impress either, I just like to eat well.

How about women who never learned to cook? I think there's just as many of them, as there are of men.
 kj521
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:12:43 PM
Kentish-man....

"I have similar opinions. I'm sick of women that can't change the oil on their own car or change their own brakes and want me to do it for them. I'm done going out with women who can't service their own car, I'm not willing to be a garage slave."

Lmao!

Coming from someone who does know how to change a tire, oil and brake pads......I will happily cook! :)
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:15:59 PM
Hmmm maybe it's your age group LT, I was cooking for myself at a young age, beat starving(parents worked nights/shift work), I, and their mom made sure our boys could fend for themselves and could cook a variety of things, and not get
To college and live on Kraft dinner and hotdogs .

And I can't change my brake pads, but I can afford a mechanic from what I save on not eating out often. :)
 activemelaney
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:17:43 PM
Meh...no big deal. Other things in life to get in a snit about. 'He must do this or else...' Rather immature ultimatum..

I don't know any emaciated starving males in our society. Perhaps what is meant is that many men don't cook what we want to eat. Most guys l've known are content with a peanut butter sandwich and with microwaving soup... A lot of people actually enjoy simple food. Simple does not mean less healthy.

My guy can sit down with a baguette, bruschetta, some nuts, piece of cheese, a bunch of grapes and be happy. He can cook quite fine but rarely does. ' I'm the one (not him) who likes to sit down to a more extensively prepared meal.

I agree with some comments above. Damn if I have ever changed the oil in my car...my guy does that. Whenever
I had a flat tire, some passing man was kind enough to change it. My guy also replaced the hose on the dishwasher and rewired my doorbell. That was all in the last few weeks.

Also, I enjoy cooking. I enjoy preparing things for my guy. It makes me feel good. When he fixes things in my house, it makes him feel good. I suppose some guy might have rejected me for lack of handy woman skills but frankly, I don't want to chip my nails. The reality is that I will get by life fine without ever using a pipe wrench and my guy will get though life fine without knowing how to bake an apple pie.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:19:55 PM
Like Eric I have a low fat, healthy diet. I collect bones/meat scraps in the freezer from roast chicken and turkey breasts. When I have enough bones, I add vegetables, herbs, garlic and ginger to make a big pot of chicken broth, reduced by a third to intensify the flavor. I use this broth to make delicious, low fat, nutritious soups: Chicken-Vegetable Brown Rice Soup and Lentil-Vegetable Soup.

Extra soup goes in the freezer. Like Eric I make lots of icy fruit-protein smoothies. Also I bake whole grain breads. I only cook once or twice a week. Roasted almonds are a staple of my diet. I keep a container of roasted almonds in my car.

I believe if you can read, you can cook. My mother hated to cook. To her credit, she gave me "The Joy of Cooking" when I was 18. Fascinated, I read "The Joy of Cooking" cover-to-cover. (The last entry under fish is "Whale: last but vast.") I learned to cook and bake by reading cookbooks. Practice, practice, practice.

Also I subscribed to Cooking Light magazine for 25 years. Now I have a great collection of low fat, healthy recipes. By choice, I haven't eaten a hot dog or fast food in 30 years.
 slowitalldown
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:24:37 PM
I will happily service my car- by taking it to the shop!

It's not quite the equivalent of putting meals on the table day in and day out.

I have never run into a problem with a man who can't or won't cook.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men Who Never Learned to Cook