Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Freedom of Speech?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 another_nail_in_my_heart
Msg: 1
Freedom of Speech?Page 1 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Saskatoon Muslims say religious insults are hate speech
First Posted: Jan 19, 2015 6:28am | Last Updated: Jan 19, 2015 6:29am

A group of Saskatoon Muslims say insults to religion are not freedom of expression and should be considered hate speech.

Roughly 75 Muslims gathered outside Saskatoon City Hall on Sunday to protest the French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo's depictions of the Islam prophet Muhammad.

The new issue has a cartoon of Muhammad, with a tear running down his cheek and a sign that reads "Je Suis Charlie.” Followers of Islam consider depictions of their prophet insulting or even a sin.
The Saskatoon protest lasted approximately 45 minutes with members slowly filtering in following afternoon prayers. On one side of the gender divided protest, men held white signs reading "free speech has limits," and men and women quietly sang prayers.

Protest organizer Mustafa Mustaan said he welcomes intellectual debate, but insults against faith should not be part of free speech.

http://www.ckom.com/story/saskatoon-muslims-say-religious-insults-are-hate-speech/517943

The airport's that way. Hop on a plane and go back too where you came from. There your religion won't be blasphemed though your free speech will be limited to following the mantra of whatever regime is in power. Unfortunately I'm Canadian so eventually some politically correct fool may take up their cause.

The Tragically Hip - Something On

HFX_RGB
Msg: 2
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 5:28:24 AM

A group of Saskatoon Muslims say insults to religion are not freedom of expression and should be considered hate speech.

Claiming that someones drawing is hate speech your religion is like getting mad at someone for drawing a doughnut when you are on a diet.

The airport's that way. Hop on a plane and go back too where you came from. There your religion won't be blasphemed though your free speech will be limited to following the mantra of whatever regime is in power...

So if it was christians / jews / hindus (or one of the thousands of religions) complaining about hate speech, would you tell them to hop on a plane and go back to where they came from?

As last I checked no religion started in Canada.

Unfortunately I'm Canadian so eventually some politically correct fool may take up their cause.

Is it unfortunate because someone may point out that your reasons seem not to be motivated by freedom of expression but by bigotry? (as per your, go back where you came from comment)
 Walts
Msg: 3
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 6:53:26 AM
If we accept the joke as free speech, is it not wise to accept a protest about this joke? You don't have to agree with what is being said but, you probably should accept that it can be said.

I don't think you can have one without the other?
 calguy14
Msg: 4
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 6:54:56 AM
I don't believe the cartoons are needed.Not very much leeway if you want to make jokes about Jewish behavior.I still feel that Islam is best served up in a middle eastern society.

Now a poster will claim this is bigoted.
 chameleonf
Msg: 5
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 8:54:02 AM
The Muslims in Saskatoon would be exercising their right to free speech. What's the problem? Although Charlie Hebdo wasn't necessarily creating hate speech per se, it created a predictable result. You can poke a placid dog to the point it may growl (a free speech protest), but you also can predictably poke a rabid dog with the same stick and it'll go for the jugular - there's no reasoning with it by politely asking it to calm down and telling it that, because it's a rabid dog, you have the right to poke at it. It's not rocket science. It would be better to concentrate on putting the rabid dogs out of their misery without constantly taunting them prior to doing so, and to co-exist peacefully with the placid ones.
 gtomustang
Msg: 6
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 9:11:49 AM
Say, "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas" or ask your local town hall to remember there's a Constitutional separation of Church and state, and you'll hear the rallying cry

"Its a war on Christmas!"

But if the Amish or Muslims or whoever say, "hey, we have some beliefs concerning pictures and icons and such, could you give them a little bit of respect?", you hear,

"Jeez, cantcha take a friggin' joke?"

we don't fart in public, we try not to swear in front of a lady, we bemoan the loss of old fashioned values such as respecting people and conducting yourself with class and a minimum of impact....and then we look at someone's religious values and go, "aww fck you, you're going all Bill O'Reilly on me now and taking little religious things outa proportion. America doesn't take things so seriously, look how well our society's getting along as a result."

There are moments where something may be taken too far. there are also moments where if we'd like our sacred cows to be respected (not worshipped, just respected), we may have to consider not using their's for hamburger.
 overunity
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 9:57:13 AM
After 35 years of working and being required to be "politically correct" I happily enjoy my freedom of speech now.
 Walts
Msg: 8
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 10:04:04 AM
I agree with mustang^^^^^^. As countries/societies we are becoming much more global and diverse. Sure, we can say our country grew with Christianity as part of our culture but, that was back then. And this is now. Can we look back a hundred years from now and state that our countries grew with this new diversity?????

The airport's that way. Hop on a plane and go back too where you came from. There your religion won't be blasphemed though your free speech will be limited to following the mantra of whatever regime is in power.

Wonder if our native ancestors thought the same thing when whitey landed onto their land that they called home ?

I still feel that Islam is best served up in a middle eastern society.

Care to explain that thought? In past posts you have no problem including your beliefs into your discussions. Now, a different belief, and you think it's best served somewhere else?
 nocrapzone
Msg: 9
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 10:23:24 AM
Absolute freedom of speech does not exist..

for example I cannot publicly suggest that rednecks be killed..right?

you cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater..legally..when there is no fire
 daynadaze
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 12:14:37 PM
Americans claim something in the 90% bracket as Christians, those aren't all practicing Christians mind you, and our prisons have pretty much the same percentage claiming to be Christians. With a lobby that large, they get to make the most noise and mostly they hate any other religion dare rearing their heads and wanting respect. That's why something as silly as O'Reilly's War On Christmas! gets so much play, he's pandering to the choir, of course he gets a lot of support. Gullible people do that, support what they've never taken a good look into, it's just as bad when gullible people follow liberals biased 'news'. My mother thinks Fox News is manna from Heaven, and she won't hear of it being a money-making operation dependent on her supporting it. So telling people to go back to wherever what they believe in is mostly accepted, makes a lot of sense. Go to America if you believe in mainstream Christianity and want to win most fights for Christianity, etc. But the more we are a mixed pot, the more other people are going to be where we are with the same rights and demanding to be heard for what they believe in. That's why you run into political correctness where before you could shout any ole insulting remark and get laughs and pats on the back. Making fun of black people and Asians was greatly accepted back in my youth, and before my generation it was great fun to make jokes about the Irish or Italians or Germans or Japanese. This will continue, no matter how many people grumble because they can't get away with hate-speak as they did before, because we are going to keep living in a smaller & smaller world.

It's pretty easy to know when and where you can say something, your freedom of speech never meant that you could say anything to anyone anywhere. People know when they are in the wrong, they simply don't care and crying about your freedom of speech, when it's completely out of place, is just a way to get it said and feel**** about it.
 calguy14
Msg: 11
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 4:57:17 PM

Care to explain that thought? In past posts you have no problem including your beliefs into your discussions. Now, a different belief, and you think it's best served somewhere else?

The Quran forbids any sexual relationship other than in a marriage between a man and a woman for starters Walt.
Doesn't exactly leave too much room for a number of people in our society does it?
 another_nail_in_my_heart
Msg: 12
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 5:07:36 PM
Actually I could care less. I just wanted to give the forumites something to rant about. See how easily it's done.

The Cars - All mixed up
 nocrapzone
Msg: 13
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 5:07:53 PM
The traditional Bible, OT, embraced by Christians, forbids touching pigs or any products therefrom, as well as women entering the temple or church within 5 days of their being "unclean " (menstruating )..among many other practices affirmed. .taking slaves from neighboring countries, or selling your daughters to the highest bidders.
what makes someone believe that all Muslims take 100% of the Quran as literal law any more than Christians actually follow the bible 100%?
 daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 5:41:23 PM

Actually I could care less. I just wanted to give the forumites something to rant about. See how easily it's done.

Oh boy, you really fooled us didn't you! I bet we are all dying in shame now, oh you are so clever. yawn Actually you couldn't care less.
 calguy14
Msg: 15
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/24/2015 5:55:14 PM
Christians don't levy taxes on non Christians or take slaves and make them into janissaries do they?I once had an older Lebanese guy suggest I learn Arabic.I don't think so but it reveals the drive they have to enslave the infidels.

They still employ medieval punishment in Saudi don't they?I haven't noticed any mass protests against the ISIS boys from the Muslims here in the west.Have you ncz?
 another_nail_in_my_heart
Msg: 16
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/25/2015 6:13:03 AM
I had five days to create this thread. I intentionally wrote the nastiest thing I could think of because of what I see on the forums.

There are lot of posts on here where someone has decided they are the ones who determine who can have free speech or not. I have yet to see a post on a thread where someone is defending someone else's freedom of speech when this happens. Hopefully the four people I came across who did this, post here. After all their are no moderator's.

Hopefully if you come across a post where someone thinks a poster doesn't have the right to free speech you defend that right. No moderators, no rules.

I'm sure people will continue to attack me because of the hateful view I presented in the OP because they didn't read this post.

Thank you for doing the right thing and treating me as an asshole.
 Walts
Msg: 17
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/25/2015 6:18:08 AM

I had five days to create this thread. I intentionally wrote the nastiest thing I could think of because of what I see on the forums.

Some, would define that as a troll.

Would you?
 nocrapzone
Msg: 18
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/25/2015 11:36:53 AM
calguy you are so right, we are the "Master Race" here.. superior in all ways..ever heard that before..? anywhere?

I have to figure out how to make my burnt offering to the Lord as the bible tells me..do I kill a pig, a sheep? & burn it?

In fact yes some Christians do take slaves..nice to know you can draw conclusions about approx. 1.5 billion people from ..

"an older Lebanese guy" (one guy)

and you are from the religion of peace love & understanding, right? ;)

still proud of the SS & Wehrmacht actions of your grandpappy & other relatives in the ghettos of Warsaw?
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 19
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/25/2015 12:23:38 PM
Troll awesomefiftyguy is back. Cool.
 robaustralia
Msg: 20
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/25/2015 3:17:23 PM
Well radical Islamist humour is obviously not compatible with Western satire.
Are not the Islamists who are protesting against the cartoons producing hate speech of their own? It also means they are condoning the senseless murder of 12 journalists. Which is hate speech in itself.

The radical Islamists who indoctrinate people to believe that any Non-Muslim is their enemy and it is therefore perfectly OK to use violence against their enemy are also producing hate speech.All that based on their Quran, which no doubt was written centuries ago, when armed incursions into Islamist countries was common.

No where in the Quran does it say that drawing pictures of Mohammed is a sin. Radical Islamists have just made up that BS to further spread their message of hate against their perceived enemy.The Western world.
 calguy14
Msg: 21
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/25/2015 3:54:05 PM
@nocrapzone
You could find many nationalities or races that feel they are superior for one reason or another,couldn't you?
Nobody in the Wehrmacht and nobody in Warsaw,those are Germans,northern front and just a gig for survival dude.My grandad was in the Canadian army.
Nobody has to submit DNA to post here.
 StarClassic
Msg: 22
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/26/2015 6:45:36 AM

Absolute freedom of speech does not exist..

Freedom of Speech, as it is protected under The Constitution, pertains to speech against government.

for example I cannot publicly suggest that rednecks be killed..right?

You are absolutely free to make yourself look foolish in the eye's of others. So long as what you say is not slanderous, libelous nor incites others to actually kill rednecks. There are laws on the books to cover these circumstances.

you cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater..legally..when there is no fire

Just as above, there is also a separate law pertaining to inciting a panic where others might be harmed.

Though I believe You understand this, there are those who haven't a clue.
 nocrapzone
Msg: 23
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/26/2015 9:00:52 AM

I once had an older Lebanese guy suggest I learn Arabic.

I once had a white Caucasian Canadian who attended the same church I briefly attended tell me that blacks and Asians are inferior races to whites

so from this one person I can conclude..that all Caucasian Christian Canadians are racist?
 flyguy51
Msg: 24
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/27/2015 7:02:30 AM
Non Muslims are free to draw cartoons of the Prophet, just as Muslims are free to deny the Holocaust happened.
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/27/2015 3:37:49 PM
(op)
Freedom of speech or not...hate speech or not...F-ck you mother f-ckers if you don't like it. G-d d-amned lying puss y ass f-cks. I hereby HATE your religion, and all religion, for degrading humankind the way that it does. I hereby proclaim that I hate it. And I exercise the freedom to say so. And I don't give a F-CK if you don't like it or call it one thing or the other. Call it whatever the f-ck you want. I still HATE, not only all religions, but the people themselves for choosing to be ignorant on purpose, and choosing to keep the infection alive on purpose.

F-cking cry baby. Shove it up your ass. Punk ass biatches.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Freedom of Speech?