Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > In need of honest reviews please      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mcbb22
Msg: 1
In need of honest reviews pleasePage 1 of 1    
I am looking to hear some honest reviews on my profile. I thought it was a good profile and I spent a lot of time on it, but am I missing something or is something coming off wrong? I use to send out well thought out messages and put effort into them, they look at your profile and some respond, most don't based on your profile.
 Ainen
Msg: 2
In need of honest reviews please
Posted: 1/31/2015 7:14:17 AM
Hiding your eyes behind mirrored sunglasses in your main does not make a good first impression.

Get rid of the "cheers" image.

Good to show the big piercing in your right ear and the large arm tattoo so the women know what they're getting. Also good you have a photo with glasses as well as without.

Your text communicates good information: proud to be blue collar, old school values. Did you mean to write "sacred" or "scared"?
 TALL_IQ2
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/31/2015 7:27:52 AM

"Your text communicates good information: proud to be blue collar, old school values. Did you mean to write "sacred" or "scared"?"

I would leave that typo in there. A "sacred" octopus would give the young ladies something to joke to you about. Your humor shows in your short profile.

Yes change the main pic to one without sunglasses. Two seconds glance is all the main pic usually gets when there are 20 million other profiles to choose from.

S
 mcbb22
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/31/2015 8:17:01 AM
Sacred is not a typo, sacred = holy, blessed.

Thanks for the advice so far, I'll change the main image with out sunglasses.

The frustrating thing about all this is I get lots of interest via meet me and even women that add me to their favorites. I message these women with no response back.
 TALL_IQ2
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/31/2015 8:22:55 AM
"The frustrating thing about all this is I get lots of interest via meet me and even women that add me to their favorites. I message these women with no response back."

That is very common on this site. Remember, they have 100 guys messaging them and may not even be able to keep track of just who you are. "Meet me" function is basically worthless.

Make a good profile and let some women message you. Also be alert for the 10% fake profiles on here. Too good to be true and no pic or models pic stolen from the internet. Use Google-image to help find the source.

S
 ScooterSB
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2015 9:35:46 AM
This is POFs own advice on main pictures. It's there site so they knida know what they are talking about

Your main pic should be a clear head shot, hopefully with you LOOKING AT the camera. Leave off the caps and hats and sunglasses, pretty please!! I’m begging you, people want to see your face. A picture with sunglasses and a hat will get your profile clicked off, trust me.

Also any picture that you arn't in, or doesn't clearly show your face is against site rules.

Have a full body photo so women can really get an idea of what you look like.

I feel like there is something missing from your DATING profile...... DATING!!!

What is it like to date you?
What does romance mean to you?
What attributes do you find attractive in a woman?
What should a woman date you over the millions of other guys on this site?

Answer these in your profile and you'll be well on your way.
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/31/2015 9:52:55 AM
You say you have children but don't mention them in your About Me. A woman will want to know ages and if you have full time custody or how often they're with you as part of the decision making process to contact you.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/31/2015 11:24:15 AM
I have read the " bit about me" before.
Why do you think blue collar workers are a dying breed?
A few of your photos violate the rules of this Site
Are you looking to date for for a dune buddy? Many of your Interests are more "guy stuff" Some women will read them and think you have nothing in common.
I agree with Dee re the children.
no Header, no ideas for first date .. You need to put some effort into crafting your profile imo
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/31/2015 11:48:33 AM
"Why do you think blue collar workers are a dying breed?"
Is it because they do motorcycle stunts without wearing a helmet?
Just kidding:)
In America there are far fewer things made here then, say, 40 or 50 years ago, so we don't employ as many people to build things and fix things. We buy our machinery from a cheaper overseas source, and when it breaks we get a new one, because new is better. Unless you are in the business of fixing things, that is.
I used to build precision production machinery in to 70's and 80's, it paid well and I loved it, but most of those companies are gone now, and the jobs went away too.
Blue collar work is good, but any time you mention "dying" in a dating profile you are shooting yourself in the foot. You mention machinist as your profession, once is enough.
Yeah, looks more to me that you want an activity partner.
Image #3 is in poor taste as well. Save that one for your facebook page.
 mcbb22
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/31/2015 1:06:25 PM
Okay, I have made a few edits and changes to my profile with your advice. Let me know how it looks now or of there is anything else.

Thank you all for the help and support, you guys are awesome!
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/31/2015 1:59:38 PM
Now you're cookin' .
It is pleasant, and your main image has a great big smile - that's a good thing! You might want to shoot a nice pic of yourself in better clothes, that won't hurt you.
I would expand the text, maybe tell a few personal stories, something you did at work that really made you proud, or you helped someone fix their vehicle, something like that.
Also tell more about the kind of woman you want to meet, and try to use words that will convey emotion, as opposed to "I want a tall blonde with a ****in' body".
The important thing is to be positive, and what you have right now is good.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/31/2015 2:19:16 PM
Much better Mike
Did you mean to repeat awesome?
K, first date is actually first meet here - do you really want to be buying dinners for women you may have no connect with?
Pick something public and easy, if you click then plan the first day
I agree - what have you made?
I like the Grandparents line, no need to list the traits they instilled, may want to say your Grandpa was old school or something
 mcbb22
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/31/2015 3:43:59 PM
Fixed the awesome typo and the first date. I'll work on a story or two later. Is it getting too long? I don't want to bore them with too much text/info hahaha
 petula1908
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/31/2015 4:02:24 PM
You are tall, educated and have an attractive alive face. I will say that sunglasses shots are a waste of space. Get a full length shot done so the gals can see what they are getting. Your profile is also fine.

I think it is just the nature of this site that women are not really serious about meeting up and just like to dip their toe in the water and pass on. Dont take it too seriously and dont expect too much from it is my advice. Just an option for real life. Most of all do not believe all the hype about percentages of success with dating sites, they are grossly exaggerated and often downright lies. Remember that hot looking women can be fakes and flakes. Just take it all with a grain of salt and keep your eyes open for real life meets which are much healthier and you get to see who you are actually dealing with.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/1/2015 8:18:42 AM
This looks really nice.

Can you add two more interests or take away 4 to make the columns even?

I think you'll meet someone with this profile. Just takes time (but not always).
 ScooterSB
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2015 8:21:19 AM
Love the main pic and the text is getting there. A little more would be nice though.

You can't really go wrong using the words 'passion' 'excitement' 'adventure' and 'romance' at least once. Women respond well to them and it can really ad some spice to your profile.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/1/2015 8:23:37 AM

You can't really go wrong using the words 'passion' 'excitement' 'adventure' and 'romance'

Unless you're a woman, Scooter. Not sure all women respond to those words in men's profiles. So many different meanings online.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/1/2015 8:50:59 AM
"'passion' 'excitement' 'adventure' and 'romance"
I'll go you one better - Don't use those words, describe the actual scene so that the reader(woman) FEELS the romance, adventure, excitement, etc.
Example: "I want to feel passion and romance in my relationship."
or this; "I was at a local restaurant last week and I noticed an attractive older couple a few tables away. They were having lunch, eating slowly, smiling at each other, sipping their glass of wine. I noticed they would hold hands and give little glances to each other and I couldn't help but think that they must have had so many great experiences together."
See the difference?
Get their imagination engaged and they will want to know more about YOU, that's how this thing works.
More examples - you saw a pretty suitcase at a secondhand store with a lot of travel tags on it from faraway places - what could that suitcase say?
Same thing, an old sailboat in beautiful condition - how many trips has that boat been on, where did it go?
Engage their imagination - it's a very powerful force.
 7Andrew2
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/1/2015 12:23:03 PM
Have you ever read the study by OKC that suggests men who don't make eye contact with the camera are more likely to receive messages? Might be something to look into
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/1/2015 12:51:44 PM
^^^Read that and a few other articles on that with the same conclusion.

Odd. I avoid those. Idk. May be something to it.
 7Andrew2
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/1/2015 1:33:11 PM

Read that and a few other articles on that with the same conclusion.

Odd. I avoid those. Idk. May be something to it.

If I remember right it has something to do with the man being not only less intimidating but more mysterious as well? Either way I'm sold and I and try to incorporate it into my profiles as much as possible. However, I usually have one smiling photo so my potential dates at least know I have teeth :)

Don't smile, and don't make eye contact with the camera..something to try.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > In need of honest reviews please