Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tgif111
Msg: 1
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISISPage 1 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
the president said:

“Unless we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ,” Obama said. “In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ.”

are any of you concerned about the presidents comparison? Is it a slap in the face of Christian?
How is this justifiable?

your comments?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 2
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS
Posted: 2/5/2015 6:09:43 PM
President Barack Hussein Obama is completely out-of-touch with Americans of all faiths.
ISIS is immolating prisoners, beheading journalists, stoning fellow Muslims, and hurling homosexuals off buildings.
He has a soft spot in his heart because he was raised among Muslims and he can't see the threat clearly.
 calguy14
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/5/2015 6:35:22 PM
Mideast governments are getting concerned about ISIS.The pilot was Jordanian....not a westerner...one of their own.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/5/2015 7:03:26 PM
First off, what he said was true. Secondly, Christians are not the be all and end all of having the "perfect" beliefs (lots of fvcked up Christians and they've been around since the beginning and will continue to be). Thirdly, talking out of your azz about "raised" and "soft spot" ...what a stretch . Fourth, I'm pretty sure your President is just as pissed off at the terrorists as you are.

I'd actually liked to have seen you post the whole speech and not cherry picked. Typical.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/5/2015 7:31:15 PM

ISIS is immolating prisoners, beheading journalists, stoning fellow Muslims, and hurling homosexuals off buildings. He has a soft spot in his heart because he was raised among Muslims and he can't see the threat clearly.

You still afraid of the brown people there Becky?

As to make such a statement you would have to have the view-point of a racist and belive that people of different colors can not get along.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/5/2015 8:06:19 PM

Posted by CalGuy14:
"Mideast governments are getting concerned about ISIS.
The pilot was Jordanian...not a westerner...one of their own."

Exactly!

Word on the street is King Abdullah II returned to a warm welcome from cheering crowds as they expressed support for Jordan's swift executions of two terrorists in response to the ISIS hideous killing of that young pilot. The one problem with accelerating the punishment timetable is it made it somewhat appear as revenge rather than justice taking its path.

This could perhaps be where ISIS momentum is hopefully turned around. Muslims are maybe seeing that they could very easily be the next ones on the ISIS chopping block for not being jihadist enough. The important takeaway is we halt terrorist dirtbags overseas before they can make any more footholds in Europe / North America and elsewhere.
 flyguy51
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/5/2015 8:45:53 PM

Posted by CalGuy14:
"Mideast governments are getting concerned about ISIS.
The pilot was Jordanian...not a westerner...one of their own."

Exactly!

"One of their own"? By the skewed logic of that ignorant association, one could just as easily say that a Nazi is "one of our own."
[Quote]Word on the street is King Abdullah II returned to a warm welcome from cheering crowds as they expressed support for Jordan's swift executions of two terrorists in response to the ISIS hideous killing of that young pilot. The one problem with accelerating the punishment timetable is it made it somewhat appear as revenge rather than justice taking its path.
I think you missed the part where Jordan officially stated that it does, indeed, seek revenge for the execution...
[Quote]This could perhaps be where ISIS momentum is hopefully turned around. Muslims are maybe seeing that they could very easily be the next ones on the ISIS chopping block for not being jihadist enough. The important takeaway is we halt terrorist dirtbags overseas before they can make any more footholds in Europe / North America and elsewhere.
You have also missed where Muslim countries have acknowledged ISIS as a threat for some time now. ISIS has been killing Muslims all along, ya know... or maybe you didn't...
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/5/2015 9:06:01 PM

Posted by FlyGuy51:
"You have also missed where Muslim countries have acknowledged ISIS as a threat for some time now.
ISIS has been killing Muslims all along."

I haven't missed a thing as I have a mind like a steel trap when it comes to radicalized Islamic behavior. The reality is the entire world has been walking as if on eggshells regarding the jihadist threat...and this especially applies to President Barack Hussein Obama. That man cannot even utter the words "radicalized Islamic terrorists" and our enemies sense his hesitation and weakness. Foreign policy experts have concluded President Barack Hussein Obama's heart has never been in this fight. Those same experts feel he only responded to ISIS due to huge public pressure.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/5/2015 9:08:08 PM
Lol! Gotta wonder if the righties have a phone number they can call to get the outrage of the day. Like the old time number. . . . I googled, and the first seven entries were programed rightie outrage. This is the 8th:

At Prayer Breakfast, Obama Decries 'Distortions' of Faith to Justify Violence

Speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington Thursday, President Barack Obama decried groups like ISIS that commit violence in the name of religion and warned that such "distortions" are not unique to any one group of people.

"We see faith driving us to do right," he said. "But we also see faith being twisted and distorted, being used as a wedge - or worse, sometimes used as a weapon."

Calling the Islamic terror group known as ISIS or ISIL "a brutal, vicious death cult," Obama noted that its extremists oppress minorities and rape women in the name of religion.

And, he said, any faith can be "twisted" by humans to justify acts of injustice and violence.

"There is a tendency in us, a sinful tendency, that can pervert and distort our faith," he said.

"Lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ," he added. "In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ."

The president urged all people to push back "against those who would distort our religion for their nihilistic ends."

"No God condones terror," he said. "No grievance justifies the taking of innocent lives or the oppression of those who are weaker or fewer in number."

The president also notably addressed the Dalai Lama, whose presence at the event has prompted criticism from the Chinese government.

"I want to offer a special welcome to a good friend, His Holiness the Dalai Lama, who is a powerful example of what it means to practice compassion and who inspires us to speak up for the freedom and the dignity of all human beings," Obama said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/prayer-breakfast-obama-decries-distortions-faith-justify-violence-n300786
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2015 9:09:47 PM

are any of you concerned about the presidents comparison?

No. As usual, prejudiced Obama opponents are taking everything out of context, and rearranging what they hear to make sure they are offended.

Is it a slap in the face of Christian?

I assume you meant to say "Christianity," since "Christian" is a proper name for an individual.

And no, it isn't. It's an accurate recollection of some of the real abuses committed in the name of Christianity on the past. What was the context of these edited comments?
So far, I can only find right-wing, hater websites referring to this speech, and none of them have made the entire speech available, in order to allow anyone to make a genuine judgment about it. They only do as this thread does, and select out isolated partial sentences to complain about.

How is this justifiable?

How is what justifiable? Seriously, since this thread was so poorly worded, all I can be sure of, is that the thread starter really doesn't like Obama, and wants lots of other people to dislike him as well.
 daynadaze
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2015 10:19:08 PM
What part of the little snippet you posted, is not true?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/5/2015 10:34:30 PM

Posted by daynadaze:
"What part of the little snippet you posted, is not true?"

President Barack Hussein Obama is nominally the chief executive of the United States of America.
The Crusades happened about 800 years ago and clearly has nothing to do with our country or our citizens.

Additionally he is playing into radicalized Islamic terrorist hands by embracing their love of the word Crusades.
His main job is to protect Americans and American interests...not incite further senseless terrorist violence.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/5/2015 11:24:42 PM
radicalized Islamic terrorist is superior to "a brutal, vicious death cult" how, exactly? Just because it's TeaSpeak? You people are really beginning to sound very unhinged. . . .
 calguy14
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/6/2015 3:19:25 AM
@flyguy
" "One of their own"? By the skewed logic of that ignorant association,one could just as easily say that a Nazi is " one of our own"."
Is it just early morning or is it me?How are you equating the Jordanian pilot with a Nazi?Or did you slip up in the heat of the moment and reveal your true sympathies?
 etourdi65
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/6/2015 3:59:51 AM

And no, it isn't. It's an accurate recollection of some of the real abuses committed in the name of Christianity on the past.
Yep lots of bad stuff happened in the past the hallmark of a good liberal is their embracing of past injustices and their inability to live in the present and deal with present circumstances...
 Walts
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/6/2015 4:03:23 AM

The Crusades happened about 800 years ago and clearly has nothing to do with our country or our citizens.

Come on now. Should I go back and quote some of the posters here that keep referring how their country was based on "Christianity" and it's values, morals etc? You can't have it both ways. Admittance of how we(as a country/people) made mistakes in our past history, how can you continue to say you are stepping forward?

We have the same problem here in Canada. Slowly but, surely we have to look back at our dirty little secrets and admit that we acted like morons, and have treated certain "types" like animals, because their beliefs didn't exactly follow what we thought they should. Just because we used different types of tactics/weapons in the past does not mean we weren't trying to accomplish the same goals at one time.

History. It's a funny thing. All matters what you read and who wrote it.
 gingerosity
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2015 4:22:56 AM

How is this justifiable?

What's to justify? I'm pretty sure the right to free speech is written somewhere in your sacred constitutional texts. You should be proud of the guy exercising his right to talk trash about whoever he wants, instead of trying to infringe upon him. What's next - you'll try to take his guns away? This has to be part of some liberal conspiracy... go on, admit it.
 tgif111
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/6/2015 4:38:47 AM
Igor

I assume you meant to say "Christianity," since "Christian" is a proper name for an individual

lame diversionary tactics such as posting that I did not put an "S" or an "ITY" at the end of a word is beneath you Igor.

so far no one can justify his statement. won't just ONE liberal come out and say "yeah he was stretching it there". but no, you'll defend this guy no matter what. THAT is the problem.

just one liberal.

blue moon said:

First off, what he said was true

but 100% irrelevant and meaningless.

it's my belief that blue moon is actually a MAN disguising himself as a woman. if you read his posts the syntax is that of a male. many people on the forums have accused him of multiple profiles but never posting a pic. i'm calling CATFISH and calling him out of the closet.
 tgif111
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/6/2015 4:46:32 AM
I like yours too!

it's my belief that BLUEMOON IS ACTUALLY A MAN disguising himself as a woman. if you read his posts the syntax is that of a male. many people on the forums have accused him of multiple profiles but never posting a pic.

i'm calling CATFISH and calling him out of the closet.

BLUEMOON IS A MAN.

HE SAID:

Fourth, I'm pretty sure your President is just as pissed off at the terrorists as you are

i'm pretty sure he isn't. he has NO nor any strategy to defeat them. he refuses to call them what they are. after a beheading what president goes out to agolf course and knuckle bumps and high fives in jubilation????
 dragonbytes
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/6/2015 4:49:20 AM
The remark came during a talk about religious freedom juxtaposed against the backdrop of violence in cities around the globe, including attacks by Muslim extremist group ISIS in Paris and the murder of Muslims and Christians by Boko Haram in the religious war in the Central African Republic, according to a White House statement:

So how do we, as people of faith, reconcile these realities— the profound good, the strength, the tenacity, the compassion and love that can flow from all of our faiths, operating alongside those who seek to hijack religious (sic) for their own murderous ends?

Humanity has been grappling with these questions throughout human history. And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ. In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ. Michelle and I returned from India—an incredible, beautiful country, full of magnificent diversity—but a place where, in past years, religious faiths of all types have, on occasion, been targeted by other peoples of faith, simply due to their heritage and their beliefs—acts of intolerance that would have shocked [Mahatma Gandhi], the person who helped to liberate that nation.

So this is not unique to one group or one religion. There is a tendency in us, a sinful tendency that can pervert and distort our faith. In today’s world, when hate groups have their own Twitter accounts and bigotry can fester in hidden places in cyberspace, it can be even harder to counteract such intolerance. But God compels us to try. And in this mission, I believe there are a few principles that can guide us, particularly those of us who profess to believe.

He also seized the moment to praise the Dalai Lama for his work as a spiritual healer, the statement says:

“I want to offer a special welcome to a good friend, His Holiness the Dalai Lama—who is a powerful example of what it means to practice compassion, who inspires us to speak up for the freedom and dignity of all human beings. I’ve been pleased to welcome him to the White House on many occasions, and we’re grateful that he’s able to join us here today.

http://newsone.com/3088998/obama-slavery-jim-crow-christ-national-prayer-breakfast/

God compels us to try to counteract such intolerance, including the hate and intolerance most of us are capable of no matter what our faith. In context this seems reasonable, and it's true.
 tgif111
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/6/2015 4:55:59 AM
Hussein Obama said to the Dalai Lama:

“I want to offer a special welcome to a good friend, His Holiness the Dalai Lama—who is a powerful example of what it means to practice compassion, who inspires us to speak up for the freedom and dignity of all human beings. I’ve been pleased to welcome him to the White House on many occasions, and we’re grateful that he’s able to join us here today.

.......but Netanyahu can pound salt.
 raxarsr
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2015 5:01:29 AM
lets not forget one lil tidbit of history................the crusades were fought as a retaliation of a muslin jihad............they were an attempt to recapture the holy lands from the muslims.........up until shortly before the cursades.......the holy lands were christian

this is not to say autrocities didnt happen......................but the crusades were not "out of the blue" invasions
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/6/2015 5:57:58 AM

How is this justifiable?

Easy, people who feel the need to justify their action with "the invisible man in the sky told me to do it" crap and generally crazy and should be dealt with accordingly.

Also if you think that Obama is not blowing brown people up left and right you clearly have not been paying attention and are most likely busy looking for a new bumper sticker to go on your car.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/112237059_7e4581e1c0.jpg
 dragonbytes
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/6/2015 6:01:19 AM
^^^
I always thought the crusades was just another war that was really fought over territory, money, power and loot but justified by religion. So I never paid much attention to the religious justification.

Spanish Inquisition, I always think of the Spanish Inquisition when I think of historical injustices by Christians. But likely Obama didn't mention this because he didn't want to offend the large hispanic population in the USA.

I didn't know that the Spanish Inquisition grew out of the Medieval Inquisition.

On May 15, Pope Innocent IV issued a papal bull entitled Ad extirpanda, which authorized the use of torture by inquisitors.

A not so innocent pope.
 calguy14
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/6/2015 6:12:04 AM
@dragon
There was to be no loss of life or limb.
Child's play.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS