Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Just need some honest feedback, thanks      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pacino233
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Just need some honest feedback, thanksPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hey there,
I'm not really having any luck so would appreciate if you could take a look at my profile and let me know if it's okay please. Be as honest as you like, you aren't going to offend! Thank you
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 2
Just need some honest feedback, thanks
Posted: 2/14/2015 11:11:18 AM
The ones who say they're not going to be offended - usually are!

The biggest problem is your photos. Any woman who looks at your profile looks at your photos first can see its obvious you already have a girlfriend. Are you planning to cheat on her? The 2 of you looking for a threesome? Your ex that you're not over yet? That's what a woman thinks and she'll back click out of your profile without bothering to read the rest. You have room to put up 8 photos. Choose ones that make you look like a fun, interesting guy and that you're single and available.

At your age you don't have a car and no explanation in your About Me. No car is pretty much a deal breaker for most women. We only think the worst when there's no explanation. You can't afford one or you did something bad and your car was seized/driver's license revoked. If you're a "go green" guy you need to bring it up in your About Me and state you hate noisy polluting cars and talk about how you get around. A woman is going to want to know how you're going to pick her up on dates. Will she be riding on the handlebars of your bike?

The written part's not too bad, but its doubtful any woman is going to get that far to read it.
 pacino233
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 11:19:57 AM
No girlfriend, the woman in that photo is my mother. I don't know what would give the impression that I'm not single aside from that one though. The photos thing is a bit of an issue to be honest, I'm not big on taking pictures and most of the ones taken by my friends have been from some time back when we have been out drinking. I don't go clubbing much these days so I don't want to mislead anyone. I also don't want to look like an alcoholic by having 8 pictures of me out on the lash. No car as my workplace is 10 minutes from my flat but I'll edit that detail in. Cheers.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/14/2015 11:38:09 AM
k, you need new pictures - POF leads with them.. no point saying WHY you don't have them, go GET some :)
No car is not a problem in the UK by all accounts. Is your Mother coming along on dates with you?
argumentative - lovely, I mean who wants to meet someone who is going to argue the date away? I'd choose diff words to describe yourself
But
kiss of Death is the I don't get out much, so here I am bit. Well who wouldn't be over the Moon to get a msg from someone who now says they sit home. Alone. Often.
Not sure that leading with video games will help you - doesn't that mean you and your Woman going to spend the free time sitting at home with the puter?
I'm curious, you said Hi I am Pacino.. cool if that's your real name.
Learning to cook and you do it well - k, why not speak about your speciality?
Avoid cliches
JMO
 pacino233
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 11:55:34 AM
Will have to dig up more photos but done all the other alterations. Thanks for the help!
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/14/2015 1:00:07 PM
I forgot what your original pics were like but these 3 are good. I hope that the babe in pic 3 is a relation, and should be captioned as such.
Charm and manliness trumps height, I have known some short guys who were absolute lady-magnets. Besides , there are tons of lovely women at 5 feet, + or- a few inches.
You have an awful lot of "I's" in your text. The reader sees this as "I want this", "I want that", it's about ME. Many or all the I's can be artfully eliminated, and your prose will benefit.
Example: "Lastly I am teaching myself how to cook and if I can shun modesty for a moment, I'm getting pretty good at it! I'm half Italian "
Possible change: "Being half Italian, my sense of taste and smell have lead me into the kitchen where my cooking skills are blossoming. My favorite dishes are _____________ and _____________ , and by the way, these are available for sharing !"
Do you see the difference?
Good luck.
 pacino233
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 7:32:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestion GreenThumbz18. I did notice the "I" repetition but didn't know how to phrase my sentences to avoid it. Will have another crack at it and cheers for the advice. The woman in pic 3 is my mom, although I've cropped her out since your last glance it seems. I didn't know I could add captions so will do that where appropriate from now on.
 Forums_only
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/14/2015 8:13:27 PM

Please use the correct English words.

That's hilarious! Um, he IS English, and those are the correct spelling/usage of cinema, colourful and humour there and in Canada, just in case you want to correct some of my 'typos', too, hon.

OP - You do have the dark Italian looks, just need a great smiling well-lit head shot (not an obvious selfie, though) to prove it. At 5'4", some women will pass on that alone. Nothing you can do about it, just show a great friendly approachable guy who looks like he may be fun and the ones that are looking beyond the superficial will appreciate it.

You may also want to replace some of the generic Interests with one or two-word specific examples for each. If you are into Opera and she's into Rap, it could be a difficult conversation, so a few more specific clues help your viewer find things in common and get a sense of your personality and humour. Yeah, I went there.
 pacino233
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 6:41:19 PM
I didn't realise "movies" wasn't an English word but okay, edited it. I've tried to make it a little bit more concise, thanks for the tip. Plus I just got a message as I was writing this so the changes must have helped!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/15/2015 6:56:37 PM
Pacino233...welcome to the Profile Reviews forum.
Your profile is looking pretty good with the current selection of eight photographs.

My first suggestion is to use 9, 12, or 15 total interests since POF divides them into 3 columns. It looks sharpest that way and ensure the reader doesn't need to scroll too much. You will naturally wish to ensure they show in BLUE font to indicate they are searchable items. Make certain you include things that a date might like to do WITH you together.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/16/2015 3:15:11 AM
Ouija:

I'm curious, you said Hi I am Pacino.. cool if that's your real name.

I'm curious, too.

If it is, keep the user name. If it's not, I don't think it would help you date here in the US. Things are definitely different in the UK. Love Pacino, but this entire profile makes me think of so many violent movies.

"Justice for All" was great, though (and very, very realistic about some of the flakes that occupy our judicial benches).
 petula1908
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/16/2015 3:48:42 AM
Your header is lame and most of the pics are not good. Just l0ad clear smiling pics of yourself alone. Your main problem with online dating, you cannot do much about so wont mention that. Not having a car can be a dealbreaker, regardless of how close you live to work. What about trips and outings?
 pacino233
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2015 9:27:54 AM
Yes my name is actually is Pacino, my mother was a big fan of Al Pacino in Scarface. Makes for a decent ice breaker at times. In regards to the pictures, there are some fun ones and some just of my mug which I believe follows the advice given here. By all means correct me if I'm wrong though. Changed the headline, I couldn't think of anything at the time and I admit it wasn't a great attempt at humour. A few things about this car issue because it keeps coming up; I live in a busy city area with plenty of buses, trains and cabs. Getting about really isn't a problem. Not having a car isn't ideal if I'm looking outside of Birmingham but I'm not so it doesn't really matter too much as far as I'm concerned (I don't know how it is in the US). Besides, if a woman thinks having a personal chauffeur is the most important thing in a relationship then we wouldn't get on whether I had a car not (not trying to come across as snappy or rude, that's just how I see it).
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/17/2015 9:39:03 AM
I think your new headline is perfect and clears up the name. It made me smile.

No need for a car in Birmingham, none at all. Like having a car in NYC, a luxury. My son kept a Mustang up there and had to move it every time they cleaned the city streets. lol Sometimes in the snow ...

The way it is in the US is we have next-to-no public transport, so we all drive and pollute the air more than necessary. Most of the country other than a few large cities have people living far outside city limits, so they can sit in traffic and add to the smog. Yep, that's how it is. Seems it's all part of Agenda 21.

Good luck, Pacino.
 tennistown
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/17/2015 9:44:30 AM

Yes my name is actually is Pacino

If my name was Pacino....

It would be a must, in my dating profile,
to squeeze in the particular sentence.
"Say hello to my little friend."
 dragonbytes
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/17/2015 9:59:47 AM
Pacino, 3 of the 7 photos show you drinking beer or what looks like alcohol, I would limit that to one photo.

But the changes you made seem good to me. But I know that good pictures is the NUMBER 1 thing you can do to improve your response rate.

As far as not owning a car, it would be a big problem where I live, but if I lived in New York City or Chicago, then it wouldn't be a big deal. A lot of people in NYC don't own a car.

The biggest limiting factor will be your height, at 5.4 you are on the short side. It's not a problem BUT will mean you have to contact more women than average to make a connection, so don't get discouraged.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/17/2015 10:08:56 AM
I fancy the 3rd for the Main, the Main has you either caught mid sentence or you are a mouth breather! teasing
Helpful to have even number of Interests, and couple friendly ones to boot
So besides like to banter what is it like to actually date you? Good on the cooking part - might want to say what dish you excel at.
Good on your Mam! Are you an only child or did she name you all after favorite actors/actresses?
Ii have a name that is related to someone famous - and I get told that at least twice a day. " you know who was named_____?"
Yea.
You have bedroom eyes
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/17/2015 10:46:31 AM
Well even though you say you wouldn't get along with a woman who only thinks of you as a personal chauffeur, its more than that. Owning a car is a sense of pride and a sense of responsibility. Not to mention just darned inconvenient not to have one. What if there's a hospital emergency and she needs you to drive her? What if she wants you to pick up a 50 pound sack of dog food on your way over to visit? Grocery shopping? Picking up a new TV? Some things are easier when you have a car. Most of my relatives live in the UK and all my cousins had cars by their late teens, no different than how it is in the US or Canada. My aunt and uncle lived in London, a block from the Gypsy Hill station and a couple blocks walk to the bus stop that would take us to downtown London, and here I'm referring to the Piccadilly Circus area. They each had a car and my uncle had a motorbike for ease of getting around London traffic (they've both since passed away). The cars were used for shopping and outings. And even though I get around London just fine on the public transit, and have taken the train from London to other places in England, Wales, and Scotland because its convenient, I have also rented a car in London and driven north. Because that car is also really convenient to have and visit spots not on a public transport route. So just throwing it out there that even though people live (or visit) a city or country with excellent public transportation, that doesn't mean there's no reason why they shouldn't also own a car. All my British relatives own cars, and none of them live in London any more. What do you do when your girlfriend says she wants to spend the weekend at a cute B&B somewhere off the public transportation path? Or do you have no plans to ever leave Birmingham?

Your photos are looking pretty good now. You should try to think up 2 more interests and add them to that section so you can even out the last column. Your About Me is a work in progress, just keep adding to it as you think things up. Put in your goals, what its like to date you, and what you're looking for in a woman besides the sense of humor.

Good luck.
 pacino233
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2015 1:00:24 PM
Deedeelogan, If there is one thing I'm not short of it's responsibilities *laughs*! I do understand all of that but catching a train to go on a day trip isn't really a hardship and if she needs to go to the hospital we have ambulances for that. If I ever have a valid reason to buy a car I will, after all circumstances can and do change. But as things are I won't be forking out the cost of a vehicle, road tax, maintenance and the ridiculous insurance costs that come with living in what is a "high risk" area (especially on a carer's wage). If she needs all of that then she could always buy a car for herself. I can't afford to keep a car AND an apartment so it's not really worth entertaining the idea. Look at it this way, I bet a 28 year old man with a car that still lives with his parents isn't a better looking proposition. Thank you for the other tips, they were helpful and I will look at working those in. I just don't want to come off as demanding or a prima-maddona (seen other people do it and it's very off putting).

Ouija2025, which picture is showing as third for you, the one with my dog? I am an only child but coincidentally my best friend is called Alex. Thanks for the advice.

dragonbytes, That's exactly why I only had a few pictures to start with which I also mentioned up top. Unfortunately my other pictures aren't really any better so this is what I'm stuck with for now (it's not like I can crop them due to drink placements). If I simply remove them I'll just get feedback telling me to add more pictures. I'm off out for my birthday in two weeks though so I can do something about it then. In the meantime I don't think it will hurt too much, I do have "Drinks socially" in my profile so it makes sense at least.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/17/2015 1:11:50 PM
pacino, when I took my pictures for online dating, I got a tripod and staged the pictures. Taking a lot of digital pictures is easy, then pick the right looking pose out of dozens.

For instance, one on a bike about to take off, since I like bicycling. I took care about the lighting and anything that shows in the background.

I wouldn't wait for some event like my birthday for someone to take what either was good or bad pictures. When you do get the birthday pictures, think about what you would like to advertise on a profile.

Or if I was traveling, I would have a stranger take a few shots of me in various staged poses, trying to look natural of course.
 pacino233
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2015 9:13:25 AM
I got a friend to measure my height again, turns out I'm actually 5 ' 6". Does that extra two inches make a difference (smirk)?
 pacino233
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2015 5:47:52 PM
I've revised my profile again and decided to cull some of the filler out of it. I thought it was a bit dry and sterile before so tried to make it a lighter read. Lastly I switched up my pictures to fit more in line with my listed hobbies and got a clearer picture for my main. If one of you could take a look and let me know if it's any better I'd appreciate it, thanks.

(In answer to my last question, apparently 2 inches does make a difference considering the increase in views and responses. Lesson learned: Don't be a dunce with tape measure!)
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/4/2015 5:58:18 PM
Oh, pacino. This makes me smile.

I posted earlier that I was taking a long break from Profile Review. Just couldn't take it anymore, you know. Every now and then I venture in and ... well, enough said there. Yeah.

This is beautiful. Really. I feel I really get a sense of you from this profile and a much better sense than when we started out here (and of a much happier, more interesting person).

Good luck. Post back here when you meet the future Mrs. pacino. :))
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/4/2015 6:05:47 PM
If you mousse up your hair maybe you can hit five feet seven :)
Either I have food poisoning and my vision is distorted, or your photo has a purple face. Which is it?

edit - very easy to fix with any photo editing software, or Microsoft "paint" which has been an accessory for longer than Hilary Clinton has had, , , well, it's a very old program :)
Fix the original photo file, delete the red one, repost the corrected one.
C'mon, now, you just KNEW he was gonna make it. He has that "look."
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/4/2015 6:08:45 PM
GT, you kill me.

At first I was concerned you had food poisoning, but you're right. Sort of a magenta there? You and your pictures. I think I'll skip profile review for another 3 years.

He's right, though, pacino. Any way he can "fix" that, GT?

It is a great profile though, don't you think?
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Just need some honest feedback, thanks