Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > pictureless profiles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 petula1908
Msg: 1
pictureless profilesPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Hands up all those who would contact someone actually looking to date, has a profile up but no pictures upfront?
Excluding the obviously married looking for an affair, would it all raise a red flag to you?
 TALL_IQ2
Msg: 2
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 5:07:38 PM
["Hands up all "]

What is this, a robbery?

Stolen pictures abound on here, those with NO picture at all are most wisely disregarded as "hiding something". Odds are they ARE hiding something. Some people like to take chances though. And buy lottery tickets with so very long odds. They will likely never admit the actual percentages IRL.

When pictures are easy to upload, and an old profile has none, then best to assume the worst of what they may be hiding...

Usually only the very lonely would continue to try to contact the pictureless after a few "reality checks". There are common cartoons from years ago showing a bent over very old man typing as a "teen hunk", emailing a "college girl" who looks like she may have gone to college in the 50s...

And there is a past "Opus" Sunday funnies cartoon about "Frieda Quackenbush a raging wildcat of come hither beauty" and Opus as a George Clooney-esque love rhino" meeting each other at Frieda's front door. Funny but sometimes all to true.

S
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 3
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 5:20:18 PM
Yes, this is the age of "selfies" -even 5 year olds can take a pic & upload, so if you are serious about OLD, I'd have one recent headshot plus one recent body shot, modestly dressed.

I'll even add if one is here to date, not just a forums thing, you should update your pics regularly.

There is a lid for every pot!
 naysaying_knicktwist
Msg: 4
Pictureless Profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 5:31:20 PM
Petula, I see this thread at the top of forum pages:
"Would you meet someone without a picture?"
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts587334.aspx
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 5
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 5:33:31 PM
I want nothing to do with a man with no photos. I assume he is hiding something, likely married.
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 6
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 6:15:11 PM
Naysaying, while technically, ur correct, that other thread was started 10 years ago!

Why not have a fresh thread- technology sure has changed in 10 years!

http://youtu.be/kdemFfbS5H0
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 7
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 6:27:09 PM
Although I would message someone without a picture..I would NEVER again meet someone without a picture before hand...and what baffles me about POF is you can't have a picture without you in it..like just of a car, house, boat etc.but it's ok to have no picture at all..how the hell does that make sense??
 south_city
Msg: 8
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 6:46:32 PM
I would prefer to see a picture of her before setting up a date / meeting. But on another dating site several years, I did have a date / meeting with a woman without seeing her photos. Nothing was wrong with her looks wise. As for assuming that they are married, people with photos can be just as likely to be hiding something. Their photos can be old, deceptive, or even a picture of another person.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 9
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 6:46:56 PM
When I was single and looking, I would not contact men without a photo. There were plenty of others to choose from that did have photos. I also didn't like the idea of being contacted by men who were judging me based on my looks, but wouldn't extend me the same courtesy.

If a person is actually here to date and not here just for the forums, then I believe (s)he likely has something to hide by not having a current photo. It's been my experience that if a man was indeed unattached, he was likely misrepresenting himself in some other way---usually his age or weight.
 antirepublican
Msg: 10
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 7:24:31 PM
It works for me. For women pictures matter. For men not so much. I find that I get better quality contacts without a picture. Much more reasonable people overall regardless of what their picture looks like. As far as women are concerned I am less disappointed when she is just plain monstrous but doesn't post a picture than if she posts a fake or doctored picture and doesn't look like the picture even if she is okay looking in real life. One is just a bit embarrassed and the other is dishonest and deceptive
 QuirkyTeacher
Msg: 11
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 8:15:44 PM

I also didn't like the idea of being contacted by men who were judging me based on my looks, but wouldn't extend me the same courtesy.

This.

There takes a certain amount of vulnerability that I admire to make a dating profile (photo included) for all the world to see. I really can't give the same kudos to someone who is picture-less trying to get dates.

Besides...

I've only messaged with one guy who did not have photos. He reached out first, and he ended up being married. No surprise.
 throttle_junkie
Msg: 12
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 8:28:34 PM
I would think most people would stipulate in their mail settings:

"Allow emails (first contact) from users without images on their profile:" NO

Then it follows that most would not even entertain the thought of looking at a profile without pix.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 13
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 8:32:00 PM

Hands up all those who would contact someone actually looking to date, has a profile up but no pictures upfront?
Excluding the obviously married looking for an affair, would it all raise a red flag to you?

Profiles without pictures do leave me wondering if the person is trying to hide something, but it's not just pictureless profiles, but old pictures and ones where you cannot really see the person's face. To me, they're just as suspicious.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 14
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 8:49:46 PM

Two hands raised.

would it all raise a red flag to you?

No.
It is a POTENTIAL red flag, pending confirmation of whether it really is a red flag or not.
Some people actually still like their privacy in this modern 24 hour a day all access "anti-social media" world.

I want nothing to do with a man with no photos. I assume he is hiding something, likely married.

And you know what they say about "assuming".
I have never been married.
And yet on other threads you post that you are surprised when a guy shows up actually looking like his photos.
So what good are the photos if they misrepresent?

I am less disappointed when she is just plain monstrous but doesn't post a picture than if she posts a fake or doctored picture and doesn't look like the picture even if she is okay looking in real life. One is just a bit embarrassed and the other is dishonest and deceptive

True enough.

As for assuming that they are married, people with photos can be just as likely to be hiding something. Their photos can be old, deceptive, or even a picture of another person.

EXACTLY !

[quote I also didn't like the idea of being contacted by men who were judging me based on my looks, but wouldn't extend me the same courtesy.

Except that it was your free choice (and everyone else's with a photo) to post photos when you had a choice not to post them as well. You could just as easily have opted not to post photos and wait to be contacted or contact men yourself.

I've only messaged with one guy who did not have photos. He reached out first, and he ended up being married. No surprise.

As far as surprises go, I have previously related a story told to me by a woman in Tennessee who contacted me here after reading one of my forum posts, who said she was contacted by a man on here who she recognized ( he had a photo up) as possibly the husband of a co-worker of hers (she had met the husband briefly at a work holiday party). She showed the profile to the co-worker and she was right, it was the husband. And....the wife had taken the photo he was using in his profile. And they found him on 2 other dating sites with the same photo. The wife started divorce proceedings.
And then there was one woman who posted on the forums a while back who said she had met, in person, 4 men in a row who turned out to be married. I asked if any had photos and she said one did. So, having a photo is no guarantee that someone is not married.
 aj7125
Msg: 15
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 8:56:29 PM
I am not interested in a profile with no picture. Now if she sent a picture along with an email, then we can go from there. For those without pictures, you make it harder then it already is but that is obviously your choice which is great. For me, I am not going to communicate with no picture. As far as fakes with pics, that is another story but for me, I see right thru the fakes so not worried about that type at all.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 16
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 9:15:15 PM

You could just as easily have opted not to post photos and wait to be contacted or contact

How's that working for you so far?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 17
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/14/2015 9:23:38 PM

You could just as easily have opted not to post photos and wait to be contacted or contact

How's that working for you so far?

You were talking about your experience, not mine. And your question does not change the reality that you, me, and everyone else here has a free choice to post or not post photos when they set up a profile here. And a woman's experience is different from a man's. That has already been established on other threads. And you wouldn't believe me anyway. I have had plenty of views, messages, and real live meets for a guy who has never had a photo on a dating site. Without any of the disastrous experiences that so many relate on here.
 SexyKG74
Msg: 18
view profile
History
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/15/2015 4:08:23 AM
(I also didn't like the idea of being contacted by men who were judging me based on my looks, but wouldn't extend me the same courtesy.)

My thoughts EXACTLY. This is why I have the restriction where I cannot receive messages without a photo. However, I occasionally receive messages from guys who will look at my profile first when they didn't have a pic posted, only to place a random image of something in their profile just to be able to email me. I block them.

(Most of the red flags I see here come with photos attached.)

I have to agree with that as well. Recently, I received a message from a particular guy who had several photos. One of them (not his main photo) was of him shirtless. He had major flabby man boobs and a belly...but had indicated athletic as his body type. MAJOR red flag!
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 19
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/15/2015 5:12:29 AM
IMO, it was very ironic when I did OLD & had a variety of pics up, when a man would contact me who had no pic & ask me if I had more pics.

Like Skies says, they should extend the same courtesy to you as you did to them.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 20
view profile
History
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/15/2015 5:27:44 AM
No, I scare easy.

My photos aren't current, but I'm also not pushing for dates. When I do, I'll revamp everything at that time. Most of the no pix profiles aren't well written anyway. Besides, when was the last time you saw a "five minute profile'' that was any good?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 21
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/15/2015 5:37:47 AM
If I liked what they had to say in the text - then yes. Wouldn't meet before seeing photos. However photos are often not a true representation as I've read on countless threads.
I didn't have pictures up for a long time, got lots of msgs.
 Walts
Msg: 22
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/15/2015 5:45:47 AM
I've never contacted someone without a pic. In saying that, it seems that the fems that do send an initial email to me, usually don't have a pic??????? Don't know what that means, other than it is what it is.
 Ainen
Msg: 23
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/15/2015 5:47:35 AM

Don't shoot! I've messaged some gals who didn't have photos. They showed up in searches, usually doesn't want kids + doesn't have kids. They had good about me text showing possible compatibility and good character. For me to message blindly, she should volunteer with animal rescue or environmental work or have brilliant writing.

The one pictureless girl I met in real life last year was a hottie! I suggested meeting in real life after she said in one of her messages she likes animals and nature better than people. I'll meet a fellow "misanthrope" now matter what they look like. She had "average" as her body type but was actually thin and in good shape. We had quality time as friends. A pretty blonde, she probably knew she would get thousands of messages if she had a photo.

Typically they are not hotties. One favorited me and I messaged her and we went to "real" email. She emailed me a photo; looked surprisingly old. Two others I'd messaged eventually put up photos; "could be worse" but their facial expressions were painful.

The site encourages us to message people without photos because they get fewer messages. I believe my response rate is actually worse when messaging people without photos. Perhaps women without photos prefer husky men, not having photos because they think they're too fat and wouldn't want to be around me because I'm thin.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 24
view profile
History
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/15/2015 5:56:13 AM
I went out on a date with one girl who's pictures were private, we talked for a day and she just showed them to me voluntarily. She was pretty cute. As far as OLD goes we went on several more dates so it was a success in my eyes.
 Ainen
Msg: 25
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/15/2015 6:03:35 AM
The second half of my post got lost.

It's not unusual for a pictureless female profile to have the email restriction "Must have a picture". Hypocrites! Wouldn't even consider messaging them.

Believe it or not, some Tinder profiles don't have a photo.

Most entries on the first couple pages of New Users don't have photos. Unless they have a brilliant user name, headline or opening 200 characters, I don't view their profiles.

One reason not to message someone without a photo is they may have met someone and have hidden / removed their photos to discourage new people from contacting them (hiding a profile apparently sometimes doesn't work for free users).
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > pictureless profiles