Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > what is the difference between "a few extra pounds" and BBW?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NoVArescuer86
Msg: 1
what is the difference between "a few extra pounds" and BBW?Page 1 of 1    
Hey, guys! I'm new to the site (and online dating, period), and was wondering: What the heck is the difference between a woman being "a few extra pounds" and her being a "BBW"? Does it have to do with actual weight, or more how that weight is carried? I've been Skeletor, too thin, just right, a little fluffy, and (more recently) larger than I'd like, and I just want to make sure I'm not being unintentionally deceptive in either direction. Please don't take this as an invitation to bash ladies with a little extra/a little less volume, or to bring up the BMI scale (it lies - I'd look like a concentration camp victim if I adhered to that " healthy weight "!). I'm just looking for honest answers from people who know!
 antirepublican
Msg: 2
what is the difference between a few extra pounds and BBW?
Posted: 2/14/2015 10:14:59 PM
I don't know how you can use this but here goes:

The difference is more a matter of personality than measured weight.

BBWs tend to be part of the fat acceptance crowd and have a certain array of personality traits that go along with that mindset.

A few extra pounds means that they aren't necessarily ashamed about being overweight but it isn't something that they choose to brag about.
 daynadaze
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 11:10:19 PM
It's easier if you posts some pictures of your body, dressed in a way that shows your actual size, along with several head shots. That way, no matter how the guys browsing think is a few pounds or a BBW, they can get a good idea, just a head shot or pics with things in front of you makes it seem like you hiding something. Going by your one picture I can't see you as anywhere near a BBW, but again, can't see your body so it's hard to tell.
 raxarsr
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 11:26:35 PM
best description i ever saw.............stand 3 feet in front of a wall.....slowly walk towards it till you touch it........if your boobs hit first.............few extra pounds.......if your belly hits first....bbw
 nhtds231
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/15/2015 6:30:05 AM
Use a BMI calculator. Body type is subjective. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
 irishgirl772
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/15/2015 6:37:49 AM
Looking at your photo, I would guess you are average. If you arent shopping in the plus section and can fit into regular misses sizes, you wouldnt be considered a BBW.
 jessebunnies
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 7:18:21 AM
Generally speaking

BBW is going to be size 16 and up

A few extra pounds (again here is where it gets dicey) size 12-16

You need to post full body pictures. Every man has their own threshold of weight. The body type boxes are just general barometers.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/15/2015 7:27:02 AM
Body size and type is all in the eyes of the beholder.
With that said, the easy solution is a fresh set of pictures uploaded to the POF site.
Good luck with your romantic search. :-)
 earwigs_have_wings
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/15/2015 7:47:32 AM
This has been asked many times before. Use the search tool and enter 'a few extra pounds' or 'bbw' to get more insight.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts12524174.aspx
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 8:56:17 AM
you can render this question moot through your use of photos. post an array of them, and make sure at least one is a well-lighted, head-to-toe shot of you wearing clothing that fits well, or at least snugly. avoid the 'myspace' shot, the sharp angle from above that people try to hide big butts and bellies and multiple chins with and doesn't fool anyone. do not restrict yourself to shots cropped at the neck or chest that suggest you have something lower to hide.

with good photos, people can determine for themselves whether you are what they're looking for physically.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/15/2015 9:07:01 AM

raxarsr: stand 3 feet in front of a wall.....slowly walk towards it till you touch it........if your boobs hit first.............few extra pounds.......if your belly hits first....bbw

What happens when my nose hits the wall first? Does that mean I have a big nose?
 south_city
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/15/2015 9:48:00 AM
The best solution is put full body shots and people can make their own assessment. IMO "a few extra pounds" is somewhat overweight but not obese. BBW = obese.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/15/2015 9:49:28 AM
A good up to date full body pic would end all speculation.

^^^ hey, I guess we wrote at the same time..lol
 SeainaStorm
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/15/2015 11:05:19 AM

What happens when my nose hits the wall first? Does that mean I have a big nose?

It means you should have really turned down that last glass of wine.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/15/2015 11:12:02 AM

Literate-Hiker: What happens when my nose hits the wall first? Does that mean I have a big nose?

seainastorm replied:

It means you should have really turned down that last glass of wine.

Hilarious! As a nondrinker, it took me a moment to get it. Do you mean I drunkenly fell face-first into the wall?
 SexyKG74
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 11:26:59 AM
I think you have to factor in someone's height AND build.

Woman A: 5'2" and a size 12
Woman B: 5'7" and a size 12

I would classify woman A as a petite BBW. Woman B, due to her height, there's a major chance she's not going to look like a BBW, but more like a few extra pounds.

I agree with the others...post photos of you wearing a fitted dress or top and pants that shows your shape...doesn't have to be revealing of course...and let the guys who view your profile decide.

Everyone is different. I have 2 friends who are the same height and wear the same clothing sizes, yet they have very different weight distribution...one friend's body is considered overweight while the other friend's body isn't.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/15/2015 11:56:08 AM
OP look at sexyKG pictures and post 1 or 2 like that, very nice KG, they look professionally done?!

And perhaps hold today's paper with the date showing is helpful too...lol j/k
 SexyKG74
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 11:59:38 AM
2 were professionally done and 2 were taken by a friend in my apartment ;-)
 SeainaStorm
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/15/2015 12:02:21 PM

Hilarious! As a nondrinker, it took me a moment to get it. Do you mean I drunkenly fell face-first into the wall?

That was the joke, yes. =p
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 1:37:07 PM
It's so subjective. Like you, I didn't want to be misleading (at least, not after I joined the forums and read about this subject).

I'm a size 14, my boobs hit the all first, but "a few extra pounds" didn't fit. BBW doesn't really fit either (at least, I don't think). I wish the POF people would have put "overweight" instead of "a few extra pounds" or added "more than a few extra pounds" to the category. Seems to be such a big deal in the dating world and there's nothing between the "I should loose 10 pounds" and "shopping at Lane Bryant" categories.

To play it safe, I changed my profile to BBW after reading a thread about this before. Amazing how drastically both the quantity and QUALITY of emails declined. Sad, but what ya gonna do. It's the world we live in obviously.

Put what 'you' feel is accurate. If they have pictures they can judge.

What is 'average' now is considered overweight medically. What people consider average varies. One may think of it as "the average woman in America" and another with a physical/medical view.

The average height and weight of women varies around the world, but in the United States in 2010 the average adult female height was 63.8 inches -- approximately 5-foot-4 -- and 166.2 pounds, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This number is higher than in the past and corresponds to a body mass index that is classified as overweight.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/357769-weight-height-for-the-average-american-woman/

The fit people and fat haters are gonna jump on that quote, but there it is, that is the average and given by very reliable sources.

Men seem have no real concept of weight for females, so just telling your weight isn't going to work either. One thing is for sure ... you are never going to get everyone to agree on what your "category" should be. There are too many people with their own hang ups about it to come to a perceptual agreement.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > what is the difference between "a few extra pounds" and BBW?