Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Help with weightloss and medical condition?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Aradia96
Msg: 1
Help with weightloss and medical condition?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
So last year I gained like 8kgs, it was rather horrible. I had been bullied a lot and ended up having bad depression and anxiety, which I got medicated for but the pounds piled on.
This is what I looked like before the weight gain when I was like 63kgs when I was 18 http://i.imgur.com/w64dxnY.png
That is the earliest I had pictures of, the years before the last I probably gained a little, 1-3kg but now after last year (+8kg) I am 10kg heavier than that now and look like this
http://i.imgur.com/Bih7ZBT.jpg
I feel really terrible about it and have been dieting and excersizing for months but haven't really lost much. I try to work out and lose 1500 calories a week (on the eliptical trainer), for 400calories it is about 8km which takes me 40mins, I alternate between 300 and 400 and try to meet 1500 a week.
I have been eating about 4000-5000kj a day. Swapping bread for rhye cruskits instead, which I only have 2 of. I don't drink any fizzy drink (never did), only diet/sugar free cordial. Low sugar yoghurt tubs which only have 300-400kj
I try to keep my meals under 1500kjs and I weight myself every 3 days and record it.

I mean I am fitter now, by a lot but I have only lost like 2kgs, since I ballooned up to 76ish kgs. I am now at 73 which makes me feel kind of better but I don't know :(

I had blood tests and they say I don't have a thyroid problem I think. I am going back to see if there is anything else I could have that is making my metabolism slow. I don't really eat that much, I never did. I guess maybe it was a bit starchy, with bread and all. Never much pasta at all. I recently passed out when I was at the optometrists, I don't know why. Low blood sugar? :S
I have had diabetic tests though and they say I'm not diabetic, but I pass out a few times a year atleast.

Does any body have any idea what could be wrong with me or have any suggestions to help with my weight loss?

I kind of feel really self conscious and kind of ashamed to even meet a man at this size :S
 TALL_IQ2
Msg: 2
Help with weightloss and medical condition?
Posted: 2/15/2015 9:14:32 AM

"I mean I am fitter now, by a lot but I have only lost like 2kgs, since I ballooned up to 76ish kgs. I am now at 73 which makes me feel kind of better but I don't know :(

I had blood tests and they say I don't have a thyroid problem I think. I am going back to see if there is anything else I could have that is making my metabolism slow. I don't really eat that much, I never did. I guess maybe it was a bit starchy, with bread and all. Never much pasta at all. I recently passed out when I was at the optometrists"

Almost none of us here are MDs, and almost no MDs know most everything about nutrition and weight loss. So most avoid the subject with: " Stop overeating and get outside and exercise daily!"

That simple solution does work, IF the person actually continues with that healthy lifestyle FOR A YEAR OR MORE ! There are no instant fixes except meth and HGH/testosterone shots, all of which are harmful when abused.

Starvation just puts the body into an evolutionary "famine mode" which slows the metabolism way down for survival.

You must eat regularly, but with only about half the calories you used to intake.
Also, drink 8 glasses of pure WATER daily. Sound like a lot, but if you wait until you feel thirsty, THAT is the bodies way of indicating/solving partial dehydration!

Most people ARE always existing in that partially dehydrated state, if they don't drink those 8 glasses of water daily. More when hot weather and sweating. Carry a water bottle around with you wherever you go, and use it! ( Look up dehydration on the internet, and Johns Hopkins or Mayo clinic websites and others. There are some new books about detrimental effects of partial dehydration, over the last few years.)

Try drinking that much or more water daily, and with your healthy half usual calories intake and daily at least a few miles brisk walking, you WILL notice much difference in a few months. In a year, without any biochemical imbalances (thyroid TSH low and such), you WILL be fit as you motivate yourself to be.

And by the way, don't let anyone "neg" you by criticizing your face. They are just bitter, petty and jealous that they aren't as attractive.

Eleanor Roosevelt was a wise woman and said:
"Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your consent".

Don't ever consent to giving away any of your power to feel okay to ANYBODY ! Ever!

S
 Aradia96
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/15/2015 9:20:31 AM
I think some people on here know about diet and weight loss? right? lol.
My portions aren't big either so I think I just have a slow metabolism. I am going to see the doctor again and maybe a nutritionist or something at my uni if it's free
I'm not going to give up though, I'll just keep consumption lower consistently and keep excersizing and add walks in for my non-work out days. It's just kind of depressing trying so hard for months and not as much results as I was expecting >.>
Long term if it is actually a good plan it should really show though :D
So that is what I hope that at the end of the year I can be happy with the results and not look repugnant for my cruise to Vanuatu ;)
 earwigs_have_wings
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/15/2015 10:06:34 AM
I wonder if stress and depression releases some type of hormone that puts on weight? If you're depressed and have anxiety and medication you tried had negative side effects, maybe try alternative ones.

You are chubby, but not obese. You are also cute. A lot of men like this combination! When I was in my twenties I weighed 165lbs. I do not carry my weight well like you do. The weight melted off even with the sit down job I had at the time when I started eating Middle Eastern food daily. I'd have it for both lunch and dinner. Basically, my lunch at work was the dinner we ate the night before that I threw in the microwave oven.

The food I ate at that time consisted of stewed meats made in a tomato based broth with the addition of legumes or okra. We'd eat this over a bed of rice and have a lovely parsley salad on the side. I wasn't trying to loose weight but noticed my clothing was getting looser. When I went down to 125lbs my body could no longer handle overeating (which is how "I" got overweight) and I wanted to maintain that weight which I did. The highest I allow myself to get now is 132lbs (which I am now) even though throughout the years I have been as high as 137lb.

Each day I allow myself a treat so I don't binge on those treats which include sugary things such as frozen Greek yogurt, chocolate, cookies (low calorie ones), etc. One thing I do avoid is soda and always have water as my beverage when dining out. Drinking calories is a no-no for folks trying to loose weight. I also indulge in herbal teas such as roobois either plain or chai flavoured.

Not being able to loose weight when we are obsessing over it can put us in a dark place. Sometimes it's best not to focus on it so much but rather focus on maybe changing some lifestyle habits which usually have positive side effects.
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 10:20:17 AM
Weight is not always a good indicator of fat loss, especially for those new to exercise.

Exercising will increase muscle mass, even slight gains add up. Muscle is much more dense than fat and requires far less mass than fat for it's equivalent weight.
It is quite possible to lose fat but gain weight at the same time, I've seen this happen.
 calguy14
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/15/2015 2:33:49 PM
@arcadia
google The Eating Academy hosted by Dr .Attia
Really excellent articles which he explains in detail, he is a proponent of lower carb diets.

Eatingacademy.com
 Aradia96
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/16/2015 12:12:50 AM
Thanks a lot earwigs have wings. and Tall Iq 2

I'm not sure, I think they said my hormones are fine but I'm not sure. I'm really irregular and late all the time and its pretty impossible to lose weight without really starving myself - I mean like 3000-4000kj/700-900calories

I don't even overeat :S

I feel like sweet things (foods with sugar/honey) may be the cause and bread I used to have. So like carbohydrate and sugary food. I have cut the sugary/carby food out.

I am thinking I am going to cut bread out even more - I switched to grain bread instead but I will eat it sparingly, and only 1 piece. I also think I will try to eat less processed foods/processed carbohydrates.

I think that my sleep problems may also be part of the problem and obviously causing me to be tired all the time, unless something else is causing my tiredness - well I am sick at the moment.

Today I had 4 short soup noodles and vegetables in soup, which I thought was rather healthy. I have a low sugar greek yoghurt every day, but maybe I will cut it to every 2nd day.

I feel like my weight has stabilized and gone down a bit these past few months.

Doctors tomorrow- hopefully she can help or atleast do more investigating... oh god not needles lol
 Aradia96
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/16/2015 12:57:38 AM
I'm gonna try the Mediterranean diet! but thing is I think I am a bit anemic so I try to have slices of beef, is that bad?
Also I don't eat fish
Is canned tuna and canned fish bad?
and canned vegetable soup?
Just wondering because if it's not Ill give the canned tuna/fish a go. But I really don't like fish, so it would have to be really healthy for me to try it >.>
 gingerosity
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 1:10:11 AM
Get the doc to rule this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCOS
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 3:01:00 AM
Your Dr needs to do more tests to rule out candida over growth, maybe a more extensive Thyroid check .
Hormonal changes can effect fat storage.
Passing out is not normal and can be anything from low blood sugar, low blood pressure, to something far more serious ( heart?) and may not be related to to your weight gain.

Do an elimination diet with your Drs supervision.
Print and show him and ask him what he thinks.

Sugar/flours/ heavy carbs intake like potatoes/pastas/grains make most women fat, not low glycemic veggies high fiber content water filled fruits / protein/good fats

A Candida cleanse if you have excess candida ( can be checked by blood work) or if you have excess bloating, constipation, excessively tired.

Eat only for 2 weeks up to 4 weeks depending on your health/weight, what you want to accomplish

Meat- organic ,esp chicken ( un smoked/uncured/no deli or processed meats)
Eggs****- organic ( some people are allergic/intolerant and may want to not have eggs for 2 weeks)
Vegetables -( no nightshades and root vegetables yet, then add one back at a time to check for tolerance) after 2 weeks
Nuts -( not peanuts) unsalted unroasted and stick to walnuts and almonds unless you think they are causing an issue.
Fruit- ( not oranges, bananas, pineapple or cantaloupe) add one back at a time, oranges last.
Good fats- Coconut oil Evoo, flax oil, organic butter, salmon oil
Spices- Esp garlic, cinnamon,ginger, cayenne, black pepper, AVOID turmeric if suspect gall bladder issues.
Condiments-Organic apple cider vinegar, liquid aminoes and sugar free mustard

Eat a lot of green vegetables esp spinach, kale and other leafy greens
Again a good idea for those that are not crazy about greens you may try juicing.

Limit fruit to 3 servings a day >before meals<. Apple, pear, watermelon, some berries
( not strawberries) work well for most .
Again add back one different fruit at a time after the 2 weeks
Try to get organic apples and esp berries.

Dont mix an animal fat or protein with any starchy vegetable or fruit at the same meal.
Bloating and different digestive enzymes( digestive times) will come into play.

Limit coffee
Drink lots of water and green/ herbal teas.
No sugar.No artificial sweeteners like spl*nda, use stevia instead.
No grains
No soda

Each food group you would add one item back at a time.
Bean/legumes
Dairy, organic cottage cheese and Greek yogurt try first.

You may want to add back wild or brown rice at some point
Some can tolerate a few non gmo grains but I dont recommend them .
Corn and wheat are highly allergenic and insulin spiking.
 gingerosity
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 3:26:07 AM

Hormonal changes can effect fat storage.
Passing out is not normal and can be anything from low blood sugar, low blood pressure, to something far more serious ( heart?) and may not be related to to your weight gain.

May not be, but may be. Around the OP's age my sister had problems with passing out, weight gain, irregular menstruation, etc. Straightforward to get it under control after PCOS diagnosis.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:44:58 AM

Does any body have any idea what could be wrong with me or have any suggestions to help with my weight loss?

You seem to be over obsessed with a number, so I would say seek counseling that can help you get past your unhealthy obsession.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 12:35:04 PM

You seem to be over obsessed with a number

^^^^^^^^^
This too.

PCOS diagnosis.

^^^^^^^
Also common with weight gain.
Which comes first is still being debated in some circles.

Are you really passing out from a medical condition or are you starving yourself and have a fainting spell?
Starving yourself fat could also be an issue as your metabolism is getting used to very little calories and your body is trying to protect itself ,thus the fat doesnt want to come off.

Diets do not work.

Calorie counting is not necessary if you are eating the right foods.
I am not saying you can eat half a cow, a pound of bacon ,6 pineapples and 2 pounds of butter for breakfast, but if you stick with a healthy veggie rich,clean protein, and substantial, nutrient dense foods( no grains/sugar/dairy) and find out what is "eating you" you will lose the weight.

Put away the scale for a while.
Loads of pages/threads on weight loss.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/16/2015 3:43:58 PM
Muscle weighs six times more than fat.
Instead of obsessing over your weight, look at how your clothes fit.

I agree it's important to drink water constantly all day long.
Your pee should be light colored.
If you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 9:55:21 PM
Literate_Hiker had a moment when she she regaled us with this little (erroneous) tidbit:

Muscle weighs six times more than fat.

Uh, no. Actually, the disparity is closer to 18%: Lean muscle weighs in at 1.06 g/ml while fat floats away at a paltry 0.90 g/ml; ergo, muscle is denser than fat but only by about a fifth - not six times.

Lawdy, were it true I would either be skinny as a rail (using my wight) or weigh close to a half ton (using my volume).

Anyway, you were close, LH; but, no cigar today.

TK
[besides, Cubanos still banned (I hope) and they're no good fer ya]
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/16/2015 10:47:25 PM
Tarnished_Knight:
Anyway, you were close, LH; but, no cigar today.

Thank you, Tarnished_Knight.
I stand corrected.
I was quoting two physical fitness trainers.
Should have checked the veracity of this statement myself.
 Aradia96
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/17/2015 5:33:19 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your input.
Well if it's any consolation, my GP says I am overweight. Yay she didn't say I am obese ;)
Anyways
I am going to get a blood tests for PCOS. I think my GP wants me to get a ultrasound to check my ovaries and uterus but I'm going to hold off on that or outright not do it - since it is trans-vaginal and after going through lets just say hell... I mean *malpractice* with a uro-gynecologist I don't fancy doing anything of that nature AGAIN.

I know if it is PCOS, I will be able have treatment options open up which would probably help with my weight issue.
If it's not PCOS, well then the weight gain was pretty much down to me. Either way I am going to try to keep myself healthy and look after myself and my diet.

Thanks again guys!
 gingerosity
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2015 6:39:49 AM
Once under control the main issue with PCOS is it's harder to get pregnant. My sister managed though, so obviously it's not that much harder.

Good luck
 bamagrl68
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/17/2015 2:47:24 PM
Aradia96- One piece of advice that I'm going to second is to not obsess too much about the number on the scale.
If your clothes fit well, that can be as good, or a better, indicator than the number on the scale.
You have made a number of GREAT changes, so give yourself credit for that.
I lost 30 pounds a while ago and have kept it off, but I haven't been able to lose anymore, instead of feeling bad about hitting a wall, I focus on the fact that I lost SOME weight and I feel better.
You are a pretty girl, stop letting anyone else make you feel bad about yourself.
Go to the doctor and have those tests done, even the unpleasant ones.
You may find the answer in the tests.
I do not recommend fad diets.
The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat healthy and exercise.
You mentioned you don't eat fish.
I suggest you try to develop a taste for it, fish and seafood in general is usually low in calories and very good for you, and yes, tuna in fine as long as it is packed in water and not oil.
I hope you like vegetables, they are also very good for you and low in calories.
Vegetables are an excellent way to fill up and still eat healthy.
Let us know how those tests turn out :)
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/19/2015 9:39:25 AM
My opinion is just to eat healthy, normal exercise, nothing obsessive, and let your body settle into it's set weight. When it settles and is happy so will you hopefully. Might be 10, 15 pounds heavier, but it's happy.
 Aradia96
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/19/2015 9:54:55 PM
Turns out my sister got tests for pcos recently and I think she has it - atleast the results are not normal. So with that I think I may probably have it too, just need to get my blood test soon, was holding up till my period went, Tmi I know but I been pretty tired and sore as heck. So I'm thinking either this weekend or during the week I will get it. I lost 1-2kg but it really killed me to lose.

When I was younger and weighed less I had problems losing weight, I mean back when I was in the healthy weight range(60kg and under). Also irregular periods and very painful ones at that. So if I do have it I had the pcos before I got heavier.
 Skyr
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2015 7:16:52 PM

Almost none of us here are MDs, and almost no MDs know most everything about nutrition and weight loss.

She's from Australia. There are very few MDs there, although I see their medical schools are now giving out MDs as the basic medical degree. Most MDs will be new graduates (within the last 5yrs)
 Aradia96
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/24/2015 6:07:29 AM
Yeah it is hard here. I lost 2 kg though. Yay!!
In the next week I am going to get my blood test and then in the next my scan I found out it doesn't have to be the invasive one - I just need to get them to not do the invasive one. So yeah, should take a few weeks to be deciding with my doctor what to do based on results.
I'm doing a course at Uni about Wellness too as part of my degree (elective) so it should help me :) it has nutrition and physical activity stuff and psychological stuff in it.
 ApriLikesWhiteRosesOnly
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/25/2015 10:37:57 AM

Yeah it is hard here. I lost 2 kg though. Yay!!

Congratulations!
Remember that you must remain active to continue to lose weight,
walk your dog, if you don't have a dog, walk your cat
if you do not have dog or cat, walk your neighbor's dog.
or simply go to the gym.!!
At your age is soooooo easy to lose weight.
 Aradia96
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/1/2015 6:29:05 AM

At your age is soooooo easy to lose weight.

Not really, due to my condition.
I need medicating for it sooon.. all in good time.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Help with weightloss and medical condition?