Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Interests search don't work.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MasterOfReality84
Msg: 1
Interests search don't work.Page 1 of 1    
It shows the same results no matter what topics I add, it seems to be choosing random people rather than actual matching of interests.
 TALL_IQ2
Msg: 2
Interests search don't work.
Posted: 2/15/2015 3:20:16 PM
Are you using "advanced search" ? I have heard that works better. The basics here were programmed about 12 years ago and have had a bunch of patches since. You might add many more interests to your profile, and see if that hooks into the algorithm.
Don't expect perfection on any free site.

For better/any results, be pro-active and READ a bunch of profiles in your area, write down the interests lists of the ones you like, and then email them, talking about those. The machine won't do that for you...

S
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/15/2015 3:22:26 PM

Don't expect perfection on any free site.

Or any paid one. OkC crashes all the time, both the website and the phone apps. The rest? Not the topic of this thread.
 MasterOfReality84
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/15/2015 3:36:17 PM
No, I'm using the "Interest Me" search, it's supposed to filter people by the interests you write. I've tried different topics and the results are always random.
 TALL_IQ2
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/15/2015 3:39:11 PM
It doesn't appear that you have filled out the "personality" profile needs test questionnaire yet. Try that, add many more "interests", and come back later with any results.

"Interest Me takes the interests, hobbies, and activities you enter and uses them to find the best potential match for your personality and lifestyle. This is much more than a keyword search!"

Try using "advanced search" as well? Both "Meet me" &"interest me" seem very glitchy and not yet very useful here.
Good luck in your search.

S
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/15/2015 3:39:13 PM
Oh, right. Right. I saw that there the other day. I hadn't noticed it before. I think it's very new.

I just tried it with just one interest; just like you, random profiles and my interest isn't there. Guess they're working out the kinks?
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/15/2015 4:01:12 PM
Men must have something different. I have no "personality profile questionnaire". What is that? You have a personaltiy word.

The tests I have on my Chemistry page are: Chemistry Assessment, Needs Assessment, Psychological Assessment, Keeper Test (never had a guy pass that; I believe it ... never mind) and Sex Test. No idea what any of this has to do with the Interest Me search.
 Jim97219
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2016 8:49:03 PM
I can't find the Interest search anywhere, not in Basic Search nor in Advanced Search. Exactly where is it?
 KingORedLions
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2016 4:55:48 PM
They've removed the link from the main site, but it's still there if you go to it via URL. It doesn't actually work anyway, mind.
 ForceGaia
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/22/2016 6:35:37 AM
Even by modifying the URL it doesn't work, looks like a developer has botched the ASP behind it as it shows a > after your interest in quotes. I did ask POF about this ages ago and got his response:

My message:

I'm trying to do an interest search and no matter what i put in it comes up
with

There are no users in the system with the interest "[search term here]">

The close chevron in the error string would suggest a misplaced bit of code
that's making the whole thing break.

The thing is there are people with the interests i'm searching as I'm
looking for interest I've seen on other profiles, so the ones I've seen
should show up at least.

POF response: (September 2015)

Thank you for taking the time to email POF.com.

We are constantly updating the site to better serve our users. Due to
recent site changes, this feature is no longer available. We apologize if
this was one of the many features you enjoyed, but hope you'll benefit from
the improvements to the site.

Basically no reason given, and I've not seen any of these "improvements" yet
 Jim97219
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2016 9:37:32 PM
Your reply is more appreciated--thanks for taking the time to post it. It seems like an interest search would be a pretty basic thing to have on a dating site and why POF's isn't working makes no sense to me. Come on POF, get your act together here!!!
 nutty21
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/6/2016 10:52:20 AM
Agreed
 Gr8Paul
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/16/2016 8:49:15 AM
I'm glad to see that you got a reply from POF.
Interest search only work when I click on an interest in someone's profile. Then it give me poor results.
I guess they don't care. Therefore please don't pay for a subscription here until they fix it.
Perhaps they should make is a feature that is only available to paid members.
I will gladly pay again as soon as they fix this problem.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 16
Interests Search Doesn't Work
Posted: 5/17/2016 3:59:20 AM
Common Interests shown with numbers on My Matches is still working.

It works for single and multiple-word Interests.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Interests search don't work.