Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The pope and so called selfish couples...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Baffalobill
Msg: 1
The pope and so called selfish couples...Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Pope Francis said that couples who opt not to have children are being "selfish" as he spoke of a "greedy generation" that's choosing not to procreate. The pontiff's remarks come just weeks after he seemed to send a contradictory message, telling Catholics that they don't need to breed "like rabbits."

I personally really thought this guy had a lot of great things to say.. Up until this statement !!!!
Does he share the same view for singles who don't ever want children ??
I wonder what he thinks of e.g. Priests and Nuns !!!!!!!!
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 2
The pope and so called selfish couples...
Posted: 2/16/2015 2:52:56 AM
^^^I don't keep up with the pope 9and I don't capitalize "pope"). Popes have nothing to say that I need to hear.

This is just another appallingly ignorant statement from another religious "leader", demonstrating total lack of consideration for those of us already here and the planet.

Gawd, free us from religion and folks who "believe".
 calguy14
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/16/2015 3:41:45 AM
@Baffalobill
Some western societies are not producing enough children to maintain their populations without immigration.

In some societies people seem not to plan as to how they will support their children.Brazil with its masses of street children comes to mind.When societies dont manage
themselves well the burden gets shifted to the west, either with aid money or illegal immigration .
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 4:02:51 AM
You know, there is a middle ground of some significance, between "breeding like rabbits," and zero children, don't you?

I'm not a Catholic either, but I find no great problem with someone pointing out that self-centered hedonism isn't in line with that religion's values.
 Dee4166
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:40:25 AM
The world is overpopulated as is and, with the exponential growth that has been predicted in the next 20-50 yrs. my understanding is that our population will outstrip our resources shortly thereafter....

I, too, thought that this Pope might be a breath of fresh air for Catholics. He seemed quite progressive and pretty smart, but I agree, I'm disappointed in hearing that he would make such a nonsensical comment....

Ah well...guess he's gotten some "heat" over some of his other views, so perhaps he's decided to 'toe the party line' on this one as a political move....

Either way, it's one man's opinion and Pope or not I still think it was a ridiculous statement to make....and it will probably have little to no effect on the behaviour of anything but the most devout followers of Catholicism.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:40:53 AM

Pope Francis said that couples who opt not to have children are being "selfish" as he spoke of a "greedy generation" that's choosing not to procreate

In related news, Pope admits all catholic bishops, priests and nuns are selfish and greedy.
 flaneur001
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:48:13 AM
Here is the actual quote from Pope Francis:

“A society with a greedy generation, that doesn’t want to surround itself with children, that considers them above all worrisome, a weight, a risk, is a depressed society,” the pope said. “The choice to not have children is selfish. Life rejuvenates and acquires energy when it multiplies: It is enriched, not impoverished.”
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:52:19 AM
^^^Thanks for that, flaneur.

Yep. Total ignorance of what's going on financially and otherwise in the lives of our young people. WTH does he know? He's never had children (and yeah, that puts him in the selfish category sited above with the nuns, et. al.) Why on earth do otherwise intelligent humans buy this stuff?
 Ainen
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/16/2015 6:18:22 AM
The Pope is Satan's hand puppet.

Having biological children is the most selfish and greedy thing a person can do. If you want to be a parent and aren't selfish, adoption is the best choice as it doesn't add to human overpopulation. In fact, if the Pope were pro life, he would embrace adoption as a loving choice, an alternative to the killing of the unborn. Don't have any biological children until all the existing kids in need of a home are adopted.

In reality, today's generations of breeders are breeding way too much. The world and US populations are at all time highs and growing at a hyperexponential rate. Another problem is huge numbers of selfish women too old to have a healthy kid (over 35), resulting in an all time high in autism and other defects. Women sometimes pick old men as sperm donors; if the father is over 50, the kid is more likely to have problems such as schitzophrenia. The average autard costs taxpayers over $2 million (the mother's fault, not the kid's). Another reason we have so many "special" kids is the huge numbers of women who are allowed to smoke, drink alcohol, and do other drugs while pregnant. Millions of women use fertility drugs: natural selection would drop them out of the gene pool, but they use science to breed freak litters such as Octomom's spawn. In addition to old women getting pregnant, girls are becoming fertile earlier than ever as they consume steroids from cow milk and other poisons. Some of these girls get pregnant at ridiculously young ages and are typically praised and rewarded for being a mother at such a young age.

The Pope also demands everyone (including the victims) forgive pedophile priests. The Pope condones the rape of boys. Pedophiles should be executed, not forgiven.

Nuns get themselves pregnant on a regular basis. My AP History teacher was a former nun and she had all kinds of dirt about nuns.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/16/2015 6:28:13 AM

“The choice to not have children is selfish. Life rejuvenates and acquires energy when it multiplies: It is enriched, not impoverished.”

Perhaps he hasn't been to some area's that show that's not an all inclusive statement.

Or......maybe the future recruiting classes for the followers of the faith need numbers?
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/16/2015 6:44:36 AM
crookcatcher:

Or......maybe the future recruiting classes for the followers of the faith need numbers?

Wow. There you go.

Yeah, religion is that evil. Encouraging/brainwashing/intimidating people using religion to enrich themselves. Of course. How sick does a person have to be to fall in line and make that their life's work?

Ainen:
Such a great post I was about to stand up and cheer. Then I get to this:

The average autard costs taxpayers over $2 million (the mother's fault, not the kid's). Another reason we have so many "special" kids is the huge numbers of women who are allowed to smoke, drink alcohol, and do other drugs while pregnant.

Oh, Ainen. You can't mean all this. Is everyone here going off the deep end today?

Thanks for teaching me a word I'll never use though, not written or spoken. Autard. Is that more pc these days than "retard"? Wow. We have a lot of autistic users here, Ainen. Thanks for making them feel welcome.

And shall we pass laws for prospective biological fathers? That would include almost all men. If they're having sex, no drinking/drugs/smoking for ten days before because those things do affect the quality of the sperm.

Crazy train stopping everywhere today.

Sorry, Ainen, I like you. I'm going to just assume you're having a bad day here, but WTH is going on on this planet? What has happened to so many people behaving badly? I don't get it.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/16/2015 6:52:01 AM
Well in nine months there will be all the 50 Shades of Grey babies being born.
Sounds like the church numbers are dropping.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/16/2015 7:03:59 AM

Nuns get themselves pregnant on a regular basis.

So Mary did'nt have a monopoly on that after all? :)
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 1:59:55 PM

Life rejuvenates and acquires energy when it multiplies: It is enriched, not impoverished.”

IMO, wise words. IMO, it's true. Really guys? You can't say this is true?

I'm not catholic, but isn't this the guy that sneaks out at night without his pope mobile and pope clothes to hang out with the homeless people? Cut him some slack. He's supposed to try to share his wisdom. Life rejuvenates and acquires energy when it multiplies: It is enriched, not impoverished. Pretty wise. Think about it, not the "Omg, now you are telling me I have to have children?" (as if anyone would listen and base their life on that anyways). Would it be more true to say "life rejuvenates and acquires energy" when middle ages and older people live alone, with no one to look after them in their old years, by themselves with the tv, no grandkids to excitedly come through the door saying "Grandma! Guess what?' and living the enriched lives of their dreams? Oh wait, I guess that wouldn't be true if they took that month long vacation every year. Now that would be an enriched life.

He's just looking out for people who don't know these things yet and perhaps a fear that they will never know that blessing. Hands up, who can say their kids and grand kids haven't enriched their life, or that a new grand baby in the family hasn't rejuvenated things? Not many people can wholeheartedly say "dang rugrats and the spawn of the rug rats have done nothing but impoverished me".

Think of it as pope pawpaw handing out some life advice/wisdom. You know, like people in the end saying they wish they hadn't worked so much. You don't know to believe that until YOU are at the end.

Didn't he "not want to be" pope and hope not to win the tie vote? I wonder why. He could have happily doing his own life's work and not deal with all this. Wait, maybe he is doing his life's work. I'm confused.

Anyways, yeah, go do good things, hundreds of them, but do one 'wrong' and nothing you do- did good matters. Makes sense. I'm not confused anymore. Glad we got that straight.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/16/2015 2:37:02 PM

IMO, wise words. IMO, it's true. Really guys? You can't say this is true?

You can not claim it to be true or false, as it is not a statement of fact.

It is only an opinion.

Though if you want to take it literally, then the statement is 100% false.

I'm not catholic, but isn't this the guy that sneaks out at night without his pope mobile and pope clothes to hang out with the homeless people?

Nope, all he did was give away some sleeping bags once, which is like Oprah giving away breath mints.

So when you consider the catholic church is sitting on enough assets to solve world hunger, you quickly see them for the hypocrites that they are.

The only thing different about this pope, is he has a better PR guy.

Didn't he "not want to be" pope and hope not to win the tie vote? I wonder why. He could have happily doing his own life's work and not deal with all this. Wait, maybe he is doing his life's work. I'm confused.

Last I checked, they can not force you to be pope, so any claim that he did not want to be pope is 100% PR bullsh*t.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 3:46:42 PM

Pope Francis said that couples who opt not to have children are being "selfish" as he spoke of a "greedy generation" that's choosing not to procreate.

Sounds like my mother in law.
 daynadaze
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 3:56:48 PM
There are babies everywhere! Who are these greedy people who are ruining the Pope's world? If half the world stopped having babies, there would still be babies everywhere!
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/16/2015 4:26:20 PM

Well in nine months there will be all the 50 Shades of Grey babies being born.

hah, yeah. I wonder though if we will indeed see a slight increase in births in countries that run the movie.
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/16/2015 4:32:53 PM

Another problem is huge numbers of selfish women too old to have a healthy kid (over 35), resulting in an all time high in autism and other defects. Women sometimes pick old men as sperm donors; if the father is over 50, the kid is more likely to have problems such as schitzophrenia. The average autard costs taxpayers over $2 million (the mother's fault, not the kid's). Another reason we have so many "special" kids is the huge numbers of women who are allowed to smoke, drink alcohol, and do other drugs while pregnant.

Sorry both my Autards were conceived when I was under the age of 30, sorry to burst your bubble.

I also don't smoke, do drugs or drink & didn't do so while pregnant either.

SO WHO IS THE REAL TARD HERE???
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/16/2015 4:39:41 PM

I also don't smoke, do drugs or drink & didn't do so while pregnant either.

from profile:

Do you drink? Socially

SO WHO IS THE REAL TARD HERE???

Rather hard to tell, as there is a case for both sides, but the full caps with bold text and obvious lie, kinda puts you a bit ahead IMO.
 calguy14
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:10:49 PM
Once again you are a complete facking azzhat hfx,.Tell you what, why dont you and ainen get together and make babies, neither one of you has any kids.

While you and hfx are at it ainen, instead of just focusing on priests, why not investigate the low overall arrest and sentencing of all pedos.
The pope is a cool guy , he used to be a bouncer and could wring the necks of both you idiots.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:15:02 PM

Once again you are a complete facking azzhat hfx,.Tell you what, why dont you and ainen get together and make babies, neither one of you has any kids.

I know you are mad that sun news got canned, but you really need to calm down at your age, it is not safe to get this upset.

And maybe if you are lucky you can troll some more suicide threads in the future and also tell everyone how much you think the Canadian military sucks to make you feel better.
 slowitalldown
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:48:03 PM
I drink, socially, which in my case translates to maybe a drink once a month, if even that. But I sure didnt drink while pregnant, and I see no contradiction there. If blonde says she didn't drink when she was pregnant, I find no reason to doubt her word.

Find something real for your outrage.
 robaustralia
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/16/2015 6:11:49 PM
OP
How come you didn't reveal the context of what and where the Pope said what he said?

He was meeting engaged couples on St.Valentines day and reminding them that having children will enrich their lives. Was he wrong? And guess what? That was in Italy which has one of the lowest birth rates in the World.

I knew a few derps would use this thread as a religion bashing exercise.

Catholics are taught that family is one of the most important aspects of existence. Are they wrong? Or are they evil for thinking that way?
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/16/2015 6:32:33 PM
The Pope needs to promote birth control and adoption. Not every country that the Catholics conquered need to be encourage to procreate, many need birth control, food and education.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The pope and so called selfish couples...