Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > I keep getting shady, fake "meet me" notifications from fake profiles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Shawninthelight4
Msg: 1
I keep getting shady, fake "meet me" notifications from fake profilesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Here's the thing, I always get notifications from girls who supposedly want to "meet me" on POF every single day. This, of course, entices me to log back in as I get a notification on my phone. Are these fake, though?

I've messaged all of these people and none of them respond to me. What's stranger is that they're almost ALL located in the same exact town (for over 20 girls). That immediately raised red flags. For the past couple of months, a bunch of girls from a town (that's about 2 hours away from me) have all wanted to "meet me"... but no one who actually lives close to me?

This leads me to believe that this feature could be automated by robots. It's kind of creepy. Today, I get a meet me notification. Immediately, since I didn't want to "view" her profile back, I Googled her username. Her username pops up on Google, I go on her POF profile. I Google searched the PICTURE of this girl who called herself "Amy". Turns out her image is matched on a MySpace account of a girl named Ashley. I find all of this out within 5 minutes because I'm relatively computer/internet-saavy, no big deal.

But here's the really strange thing: Once I decided that I'd send her a message on my account, her account and profile VANISH. She's not there anymore. Her profile isn't even indexed on Google anymore (not even a cached version).

This makes me suspicious. Is POF sending fake "meet me" requests? The only way I'm able to see the usernames of who wants to meet me as a basic user is because on iPhones, it tells you the screen name of the person... but I think POF is sending these fake and phony "meet me" requests as a way to entice users to pay for the feature of being able to see who it actually is that wants to meet you...

Very weird stuff going on. Has anyone else experience this?
 TALL_IQ2
Msg: 2
I keep getting shady, fake meet me notifications from fake profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 3:41:35 PM
Some people are clicking on those "meet me" popup pics, then a message goes out automatically to the person in the pic. They did NOT send the message themselves.

POF hasn't sent out any fake messages that I know of.

There always ARE some new spammers & trolls with fake pics and fake profiles daily coming onto POF. There are some automated algorithm programs here that search for that & when found, it deletes their new fake profiles. Lots of fake profiles vanish daily.

S

VVV No. NOT created by this site. The spammer trolls may have automated spammer programs making some of those copied fake profiles and trying to get them on different websites all the time. Beware of all those fakes. This site has more experience detecting and quickly deleting them, than other sites out there.

S
 Shawninthelight4
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/17/2015 3:47:00 PM
You know another weird thing I just found? So, I still have the profile of this fake account up on my broswer. I COPY PASTED her "About me" section into Google, and guess what? There's another random girl who lives in Florida (I'm from Illinois) who has, WORD FOR WORD, the same exact words in her about me profile section.

This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Not bothered by this at all, but it's very apparent that these are fake profiles, probably being created by the site itself.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/17/2015 4:32:09 PM

This makes me suspicious. Is POF sending fake "meet me" requests?

You found a fake profile, do your part to report it.

This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Not bothered by this at all, but it's very apparent that these are fake profiles, probably being created by the site itself.

Where are you able to draw the conclusion that it is POF making these and not someone making a fake profile?

Scam accounts will use "Meet Me" to get around POF's email restrictions.

That way, they can just sit there clicking yes on Meet Me and hit hundred of accounts, as apposed to emails a bunch of them and then getting your account flagged.
 EchosnEternity
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2015 7:40:46 AM
I have not experienced that but I agree that POF may be doing it.

What I am finding is that when I find a fake profile and report it nothing is done. What I do now when I find a suspicious pic on a profile, I google the URL address to see if it is posted on other sites. Recently I have found profiles with a pic of a Brazilian model, a model from the Congo and a fishing pro. I have informed POF and nothing is done. I did find an e-mail address for the fishing pro from Montana and e-mailed her to report her image was being used. As POF does nothing, this leads me to believe it is POF posting these. I find that usually these profiles have one maybe two pics only.

To check an image: right click on it, copy the url address, paste it into google and do a search, select "images" and then click on the camera icon. Past the address into the box and search again.
 o0BrownEyedGirl0o
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/28/2015 8:11:02 AM
The only thing you can do is report the fake profiles and let POF (now owned by The Match Group) deal with it.

And it is universally noted that the 'Meet Me' feature is kinda worthless because the ones who'd meet you just viewed your pic in a lineup and did not know that saying 'yes' or 'maybe' automatically triggered the site into sending you a notification. It's a come on, get it? You have to pay an upgrade to see who they were and they might be a scam profile that has not been reported yet.

Turn off the 'Meet Me' emails in your profile.

Never forget that the main purpose of a dating site is to make money for the owners, not to help you in your dating situation and you'll never be disappointed and wasting brain cycles questioning the motives behind the scenes.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/6/2015 2:14:19 AM
^^^ It's the internet.
Every dating site uses decoy profiles as sucker bait.
I never believe anyone on here until we meet....
(& no, I won't mail you on Yahoo after one message)

duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/8/2015 2:55:57 AM
^^^ My take on this (I may be wrong)....
as one of the long-term cynics here, is that many
of the 'fakes' are POF 'pets' -
They're not going to scrap all that work, are they?
It's the internet, it's how it is, shrug & move on.

danhawque
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2015 3:57:05 AM
I've had four "someone wants to meet you" alerts. The first two i replied to positively and got no response. The third one i also responded positively and got back a rocket saying " I never said i wanted to meet you and i don't." The fourth one , PoF told me was someone i'd clicked yes i wanted to meet and she'd done the same for me . "It's a mutual match" PoF told me . Wrote to her saying it could be PoF trash , but if not i'd be happy to meet. Again no response. Why does PoF want to raise false hopes and waste people's time like this ? So i'm not sure the profiles are fakes , but telling people someone wants to meet them what that is not the case seems as unethical as it is strange.
 runningout
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2015 5:47:47 AM
You answered your own question Dan. POF does it because it gets you back on the site. It also got you to reach out to someone, in your case four. Best thing to do is go into your mail settings and select no to meet me emails.
 TRocks715
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/22/2015 11:05:07 AM
I'm having a similar problem - I've gotten one or two "Meet Me" messages a day for the past week, but when I open POF, the actual number of "Meet Me" requests shown on my account hasn't changed at all. Even more worryingly, when I do a basic UserName search for that girl, POF doesn't even give me a profile to look at. Unless there are dozens of girls who delete their account only seconds after requesting to "Meet Me", I'm pretty sure it's a scam by POF.
 Tryingagain27
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2016 9:52:20 AM
How about this one? Like 10 times I get an alert that a girl has added me to her favorite. I look at the profile and decide to send a message even though they are always far away. A few hours later when I check she is not in the list of people who have favorited me and my outbox message to her is not even there anymore. Message just gone as if I never sent it. I then do a username search of the person that I sent the message to and they do not exist anymore. It's crazy. It's like the computer grabs a random profile with pictures mixes in a random information section from a different profile then makes up a username and probably sends out a bunch of alerts to men to get them to log on and excited because every time the woman is extremely attractive. Every single time. POF is up to something. But I have had a few good relationships from this site so I can't knock it completely. I just want to put out there that they are 100% doing some shady stuff.
 MnOutdoorGuy1
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2016 9:42:07 PM
I agree. They are baiting us back onto the site. I almost got my hopes up, and then, POOF! The profile dissappears.
 Tyrone_425
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/19/2016 10:17:27 AM
Not just baiting us, but hoping that you'll be tempted to purchase a subscription. POF is a shady organization however, if they continue this practice I promise it will back fire as many of the men here will just leave the site period. I've made several complaints just like others have and POF simply does nothing... If you already display poor customer service why in the hell would I actually pay to be a member!?!? Once you develop a bad reputation POF, people will find alternative sites leaving you high and dry. I've seen this happen to lots of so called dating sites. In retrospect, you can always change your name to Plenty Of Fakes.
 19MC75
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/20/2016 4:24:13 PM
I have been getting the same thing. I'll go to the user name search on POF site and suddenly that person that wanted to meet me is no longer a user or even existed in the system... maybe 1 out of 10 "meet me" notification emails leads to an actual user profile. I have even Googled some of these "non-existent" names & have also, in some cases found them on different dating sites or MySpace... and all of those appear to be fake profiles as well...

T0 the POF powers that be ~ I have cancelled PAYING memberships for the exact same B.S. ... I do not expect to get it from a once good site that didn't practice deception like the other sites had. POF used to be something, but if this is how you're going to play ball from now on... I'll stop using your field.

This was the latest "wants to meet me" username. "Sagsgvt_asdf453ag" ... right off the bat it already looks fake, but benefit of the doubt, username search & nothing found. Just Googled it & Nothing found.

C'mon POF ~ straighten up & go back to the old way of doing things ethically & morally right. We don't need another fake site.
 gotahubcapdiamondstarhalo
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/20/2016 5:25:34 PM

If you already display poor customer service why in the hell would I actually pay to be a member!?!?

You know, I have often wondered that myself.

It just seems the folks that pay for a membership on a free dating site may not be all that bright.

JMO, of course.
 c_diagoro
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2016 7:06:11 AM
I get lots of "this person wants to meet you" emails. I'll often look up the profile, and it seems half of them don't exist.

I know lots of women delete their profiles because of all the bs they have to deal with, but the regularity I see this with makes me think it's a bot generating these.

I've been on other sites where you must be a paid member to read email. The first time I received the notification, I paid for one month (since it looked to be from someone I would really want to meet)....log in, nothing there. I complained and received a refund, but there are all kinds of nefarious/dirty ways to draw someone into 'going paid'.

Besides, it's why they removed the ability for non-paid to see who wants to "meet me"....

Shady
 Coldfishbaby
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2016 9:15:26 AM
The site does generate false requests. I've had it where people message me saying I said yes to them on meet me, and I don't use meet me, have had it where I message people who tell me they never use meet me, even though I got a notification saying they said yes. I even had an premium membership in the past and got meet me requests, check the profile and they haven't been online in months.
 woodandiron
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2017 11:07:47 AM
Seconded; it's fake profiles that I *THINK* POF is picking off as fast as they can, but they are trying to get guys in to snag them for pay chat and cam sites. Must be long odds on that, but I guess it pays off from time to time.
 jim101267
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2017 7:26:57 PM
They are fake. POF is trying to get you to pay for a monthly subscription. Easy way to find out, do a quick google search on the name followed by pof.
 Southtc
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2017 8:59:05 PM
I'm guessing the Meet Me total now being in a bright red box is to push or annoy us towards subscribing.
 yolosophy
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/27/2017 9:37:37 AM
POF likely does what many other dating sites do, the site makes fakes profiles. There was a major lawsuit last year and many dating sites got exposed for doing this
 Starion
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2017 4:37:17 AM
Seems like mostly guys commenting here.

We are prime targets for bots & fake profiles. The Meet Me can be legit - I've had several conversations with real women that started that way (mutual like). I swipe on occasion, usually more to kill time, and being presented with a profile, message away if interested. Liking really does nothing except tell her you're kinda, maybe interested, but not enough to man up & message her = worse than doing nothing in reality. Or she'll think you're a bot!!

To weed em out, ask a question with a random answer. Like last song stuck in your head, strawberry or grape, choose a number between 1-10, whatever. If you don't get a direct reply, chances are it's a fake bot. I sent a giphy of a robot humping a washing machine (from Robot Chicken), laugh to myself, block, and report immediately knowing I've done my good deed for the day.

I did once mistakenly think a girl was a bot after her responses were seemingly disconnected. Truth was, she was answering previous comments and simply poor at texting. Meh. Funny now, but I guess she wasn't patient enough or a good enough communicator to be "the one" anyhow.
 birdman001
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2017 3:30:46 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this fact in this thread: When I get the "wants to meet you" message and I go to the profile of the supposed person, it says right there "has not viewed you yet". If they haven't viewed you, how could they possibly want to meet you?! It's a scam.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/22/2017 3:47:28 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned this fact in this thread: When I get the "wants to meet you" message and I go to the profile of the supposed person, it says right there "has not viewed you yet". If they haven't viewed you, how could they possibly want to meet you?! It's a scam.

Go use the meet me app and you will see how.

You do not have to click on the persons profile to select yes, along with the fact you can block people from seeing that you have viewed their profile.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > I keep getting shady, fake "meet me" notifications from fake profiles