Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > orthorexia LOL      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 satx78218
Msg: 1
view profile
History
orthorexia LOLPage 1 of 1    
In an attempt to curb the mass rush for food change and reform, psychiatry has green lighted a public relations push to spread awareness about their new buzzword “orthorexia nervosa,” defined as “a pathological obsession for biologically pure and healthy nutrition.”

In other words, experts are moving toward saying that our demand for nutrient-dense, healthful food is a mental disorder that must be treated.

CNN, Fast Company, Popular Science, and other top outlets have all began to trumpet the talking points on cue relatively recently:

“Orthorexia nervosa is a label designated to those who are concerned about eating healthy. Characterized by disordered eating fueled by a desire for “clean” or “healthy” foods, those diagnosed with the condition are overly pre-occupied with the nutritional makeup of what they eat”.

http://naturalsociety.com/officials-declare-eating-healthy-mental-disorder/#ixzz3SCUhT0Sr

subtext: "Just eat stupidly, ignorantly the industrial, processed food-like substances in the pathogenic Standard American Diet from BigFood like everybody else" ( and be compliant, wealth-sucked, diseased, overweight, pill-popping BigMedicine/BigPharma consumers.)
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 2
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/19/2015 6:59:24 AM
Any obsession is just that, so while a purist of health can be a healthy pursuit, some people do it in unhealthy ways.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 3
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/19/2015 7:29:14 AM
OP:

In other words, experts are moving toward saying that our demand for nutrient-dense, healthful food is a mental disorder that must be treated.

That's not at all what "they're" saying.

I think this is what "they're" saying:

Those who have an “unhealthy obsession” with otherwise healthy eating may be suffering from “orthorexia nervosa,” a term which literally means “fixation on righteous eating.” Orthorexia starts out as an innocent attempt to eat more healthfully, but orthorexics become fixated on food quality and purity. They become consumed with what and how much to eat, and how to deal with “slip-ups.” An iron-clad will is needed to maintain this rigid eating style. Every day is a chance to eat right, be “good,” rise above others in dietary prowess, and self-punish if temptation wins (usually through stricter eating, fasts and exercise). Self-esteem becomes wrapped up in the purity of orthorexics’ diet and they sometimes feel superior to others, especially in regard to food intake.

Eventually food choices become so restrictive, in both variety and calories, that health suffers – an ironic twist for a person so completely dedicated to healthy eating. Eventually, the obsession with healthy eating can crowd out other activities and interests, impair relationships, and become physically dangerous.

Yeah, I've been dealing with obsessive-compulsive/anxiety disorders in people in my life for so many years now, decades. We have a very sick society in America. We sure do. You agree with that, OP?

My latest rant is on hoarding, which is a part of the criteria in OCPD (which is a whole lot different than simple OCD, which is not a personality disorder). I need to clear that up because I make jokes about myself being a little OCD here. Two different things, okay? Don't confuse me with the hoarders.

So many of the mental illnesses on the rise in this country are obsessive-compulsive/anxiety disorders and they are increasing in number. We are a sick, sick country at this point in time. You feeling that out there in TX?

Nice city, San Antonio.

My suggestion is for everyone to cancel their cable, stop listening/reading mainstream media and stop being so stressed out. In the alternative, let's take to the streets. Which option do you like, OP?
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 4
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/19/2015 9:33:17 AM
"Orthorexia has not yet found its way into the latest edition of the psychiatric bible"

That's good. DSM: the Enquirer of the psych world.
 Aradia96
Msg: 5
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/19/2015 10:04:04 PM
I disagree, the disorder is a DISORDER, it is not focusing on otherwise normal individuals who like to eat healthy. It focuses on those who have disordered thinking, the two are very different things.

Orthorexia is the term for a condition that includes symptoms of obsessive behavior in pursuit of a healthy diet. Orthorexia sufferers often display signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders that frequently co-occur with anorexia nervosa or other eating disorders.

Orthorexia is a very serious eating disorder, particularly if it is accompanied by co-occurring psychiatric or addictive disorders, and significant weight loss or dietary imbalance. Like anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and other eating disorders, orthorexia is a medical disease that can result in irreversible health complications, including death.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 6
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/20/2015 2:13:35 AM
^^^So glad you're here, Aradia. Hope OP returns.

I know quite a few folks who are way obsessive-compulsive about their diets/lifestyle/exercise. They're such a drag to be around; just suck the joy out of everything. They're monitoring every carb/gram of protein/calorie.

Any connection between this disorder/anorexia/hoarding, Aradia? I want an answer here, girl, and I don't want to google it myself so get back here. I'm really becoming frustrated with the nutty people I keep running into.

Glad you and I are so normal, Aradia.
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 7
view profile
History
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/20/2015 3:12:52 AM
I'm on a very strict sea food diet...

I see food and eat. :p
 Aradia96
Msg: 8
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/20/2015 3:39:26 AM
Hey Curious :)

Umm well probably only a connection in the obsessive compulsive aspect, anorexia and orthorexia are closer than anorexia+orthorexia vs hoarding though.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 9
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/20/2015 3:43:03 AM
^^^Aradia, they're all control freaks, though, with the obsessive-compulsive thing (and I realize the hoarding is an aspect of the personality disorder, not "simple" OCD).

The OCD/OCPD type attempt to control different aspects of their lives (and often the lives of others). Yeah. They tend to like rules/laws ... they focus on things that distract them from the things they don't really want to think about.

I've recently learned of the connection between ADD/ADHD and hoarding. Were you aware of that? Is that new research? When I was studying this stuff a couple years back, I don't recall seeing ADD/ADHD connected, but it's all over the net now.

EDIT: Aradia, you better stick around here. When you get your degree, you might be the only one who comes out and tells us you're a pro. Then all of us armchair shrinks will have to fall in line behind you. :))
 Aradia96
Msg: 10
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/20/2015 6:25:29 AM
Well as far as personality disorders go, the ones that are recognized by DSM 5 are (there is 10)
Cluster A (the "odd, eccentric" cluster); paranoid, schizoid and schizotypal
Cluster B (the "dramatic, emotional, erratic" cluster); antisocial, histrionic, narcissistic, borderline
Cluster C (the "anxious, fearful" cluster); avoidant, dependent, Obsessive compulsive

In the DSM 5, as far as I know, there is not actually a diagnosis of a disorder called 'orthorexia'.
The disorders of this type come under the 'feeding and eating disorder' type, with the actual categories being:
Binge Eating Disorder
Anorexia Nervosa
Bulumia Nervosa
( http://www.dsm5.org/documents/eating%20disorders%20fact%20sheet.pdf)
Unless Orthorexia has been added, they may fall into the above categories or if not it would be NOS category (not otherwise specified eating disorder)

The hoarding disorder comes under Obsessive Compulsive Disorders.
Disorders grouped in this new chapter have features in common such as an obsessive preoccupation
and repetitive behaviors. The disorders included in this new chapter have enough similarities to group
them together in the same diagnostic classification but enough important differences between them to
exist as distinct disorders.
Disorders in this chapter include obsessive-compulsive disorder, body dysmorphic disorder and trichotillomania (hair-pulling disorder), as well as two new disorders: hoarding disorder and excoriation (skin-
picking) disorder.
(http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Obsessive%20Compulsive%20Disorders%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf)

A lot of people that have been diagnosed also have other interrelating issues, possibly disorders. There is also a rate of incorrect diagnosis. The most common false-positive diagnoses were bipolar disorder (17%) and depression (13%), followed by anxiety disorders (10%) and eating disorders (1%).

Yeah I will stick around here, there is nothing for me on the other forums I go to but harassment and some idiot imitating me >.>lmao
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 11
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/20/2015 6:29:22 AM
Is the new DSM out yet?

The hoarding was always under the OCPD, right?

I've had reason to revisit that hoarding thing lately and found some articles connecting it with ADD/ADHD, too. I find tht particularly interesting in my personal life right now.

OCPD goes along with the anxiety disorder Cluster C (and may help explain why folks who have this cannot sit still, right)?

Don't worry about those other forums folks, Aradia. I mean everyone here is always nice to you, right?
 Aradia96
Msg: 12
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/20/2015 6:48:13 AM
DSM 5 was out like last year or the year before or something.

Yeah everyone here is pleasant. Well at-least they take it more seriously here than where I was previously from - perhaps because it's attached to a dating site? lol.

Haha yes, well not being able to sit still.. anxiety or ADD/ADHD or a mixture I guess. One or the other or both anyway.

My psychiatrist thought I had an anxiety disorder. Sometimes it pops up a bit but a bit of alcohol helps a lot.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 13
view profile
History
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/21/2015 4:04:25 AM

My psychiatrist thought I had an anxiety disorder. Sometimes it pops up a bit but a bit of alcohol helps a lot.

Booze is not something you should be consuming with your bi polar meds ( you did say you are bi polar in another thread) You can have more than one disorder or one disorder that manifests like more than one.
You really need a very good Dr. and may need to consult more than one. This is your life.
From the Mayo clinic
Bipolar disorder and alcoholism often occur together. Up to half the people who have bipolar disorder also struggle with alcoholism.

Although the association between bipolar disorder and alcoholism isn't clearly understood, these factors likely play a role:

Inherited traits. Genetic differences appear to affect brain chemistry linked to bipolar disorder. These same traits may also affect the way the brain responds to alcohol and other drugs, increasing the risk of alcoholism and addiction to other drugs.
Depression and anxiety. Some people drink to ease depression, anxiety and other symptoms of bipolar disorder. Drinking may seem to help, but in the long run it makes symptoms worse. This can lead to more drinking — a vicious cycle that's difficult to overcome.
Mania. This upswing from depression is usually characterized by an intensely elated (euphoric) mood and hyperactivity. It commonly causes bad judgment and lowered inhibitions, which can lead to increased alcohol use or drug abuse.

Bipolar disorder and alcoholism or other types of substance abuse can be a dangerous combination. Each can worsen the symptoms and severity of the other. Having both conditions increases the risk of mood swings, depression, violence and suicide.

Someone who has both bipolar disorder and alcoholism or another addiction is said to have a dual diagnosis. Treatment may require the expertise of mental health care providers who specialize in the treatment of dual disorders.

Eating disorders and alcohol
Researchers at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have discovered that some of the genes that influence alcohol dependence also influence certain eating disorders. Furthermore, their analysis suggests that genes may explain 38 to 53 percent of the risk of developing these disorders.
Alcohol abuse and eating disorders go hand-in-hand

“In clinical practice, it’s been observed that individuals with eating disorders also have high rates of alcohol abuse and dependence,” said Dr. Melissa Munn-Chernoff, a postdoctoral research scholar in psychiatry

I stongly suggest not drinking and clarify exactly what you do have going on and addressing it with a professional
( maybe more than one or two until you get things under control).

Over eating is a disorder, eating picky is called a disorder, dry eyes is now a disease.
Eating extremely healthy is now a disorder.

I think if you cant sit at 2 meals a year with family on holidays, or once a month out with friends without asking every ingredient in your food( unless allergic to it), is a bit much and could be considered an eating disorder but I would classify it as anxiety/OCD that manifests itself as an eating disorder, just as having to scrub a floor twice a day could be a symptom as well..

I personally think anxiety is such a broad diagnosis it can be mis diagnosed as bi polar because some symptoms of anxiety can be seen as manic/OCD/hyper activity, depending on how anxious a person is at a given time..
But Im no shrink.
 Aradia96
Msg: 14
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/21/2015 6:38:05 AM
I only had half a glass D: I don't even like wine/alcohol, it was only for the medicinal qualities.

Yeah I know, it has a odd affect of fixing the feeling I got from having the med.
I haven't taken the med for like half a year, I was cold turkey off it but was so depressed, it was dangerous so I took half a tablet. Probably should of only had 1/4. It made me over stimulated and, it's hard to describe just a fuzzy prickling feeling in my head, like have you ever had too much caffeine that it starts feeling bad? it was like that.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 15
view profile
History
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/21/2015 7:23:49 AM
I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world, but I have long seen that here in the United States, there is an all-pervasive theme, which every American is encouraged through every mode of influence available, to dedicate themselves to.

That is to be Right, and to be Superior.

Everything is about competition, and every competition is to decide our value as human beings.

From the time I was a kid, I noticed that most TV commercials (possibly the single MOST influential factor in American Life) have as their underlying theme, that human validity is determined, not just by your relative success, but even more so, by whether you cause OTHER Americans to change their lives to be like you.

There are many natural results to this, and one of them is certainly that we are all constantly being bombarded by encouragement both to doubt our own judgment, and to seek certainty and superiority. It's only logical that this would result in an explosion of obsessive/compulsive behaviors, and associated anxiety.

This means that in an overall sense, ALL forms of fanaticism are of a piece. And it also means that they are all being encouraged and promoted constantly, even by many who claim to be trying to discourage or heal them.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 16
view profile
History
orthorexia LOL
Posted: 2/21/2015 9:31:49 AM

I only had half a glass D: I don't even like wine/alcohol, it was only for the medicinal qualities.

Yeah I know, it has a odd affect of fixing the feeling I got from having the med.
I haven't taken the med for like half a year, I was cold turkey off it but was so depressed, it was dangerous so I took half a tablet. Probably should of only had 1/4. It made me over stimulated and, it's hard to describe just a fuzzy prickling feeling in my head, like have you ever had too much caffeine that it starts feeling bad? it was like that

I think if you look into nutrition (esp eating healthy fats), very little sugars and grains that you will find that you feel better.
Get proper mineral intake ( esp magnesium) which is lacking in our soil.
Exercise will help with anxiety too.
Music, aromatherapy. Essential oil of grapefruit, white sage or clary sage can be uplifting or calming .Dab it on your shoulders and inhale deeply.You have to go into a store and try the scents. If you dont like it, it wont help.
Have at least 1 great GF that you can talk to.
Get a pet if you can.

The wrong relationships can complicate things when you haven't had it manageable for a while.

Hope you get someone that can properly diagnose you and be patient with you and find the best solution for you.
Good luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > orthorexia LOL