Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Movies that move you      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Movies that move youPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
A mention of the holocaust on another thread made me think of a movie that "stayed with me". Didn't want to bump a 5 year old thread. What movies have you seen that 'move you' or have 'stayed with you' for one reason or another?

The movie I thought of in that thread was "The Reader".

Another is the movie "Wit"

Both are humanist, non violent.
 StarClassic
Msg: 2
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 8:18:33 AM
Two truly stand out, and they are of totally opposite genre.
"Patch Adams" and "The Lost Brigade".
There's a third, but I can't for the life of me recall the title. Jodie Foster portrayed a young woman who suffered mental problems and had grown up alone way back in the hill country.
 tgif111
Msg: 3
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 8:28:28 AM
Fail Safe - American bombers with nuclear missles go rogue and threaten to bomb the USSR and they succeed.
Henry Fonda and Larry Hagman

Somewhere In Time - a man goes back into time to find his love and soulmate. he finds her, they fall in love and he loses his grip and returns unwillingly to his own time. be ready to cry.
Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour
 tgif111
Msg: 4
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 8:50:49 AM
is that ^^^^^^^^^ the movie where he plays the devil and walks up to the hot babe at the restaurant that is at a table with another guy and plants a wet one on her and she melts?
no that's not the one. that one is called what? End Of Days? Arnold's in it.
 StarClassic
Msg: 5
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 9:43:47 AM
I owe ya one dude.
The movie is "Nell".
If'n any wants to spare the time I found it on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd8uz7pTxg8
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 6
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 9:55:19 AM
Old Yeller is a true American classic tragedy with a somewhat upbeat ending.
It has been many years since I have seen it. It must be on free On-Demand channels.
Now that I think of it...rather similar to Turner & Hooch...decades later.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 7
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 10:51:49 AM
Always

Richard Dryfuss, Holly Hunter, John Goodman and Brad Johnson. Imagine dying and being assigned to help to the man that is in love with the love of your love. Audrey Hepburn's last movie.
 kj521
Msg: 8
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 10:56:51 AM
For me....
Les Miserables.....movie, book and play....cry every time.
 Orione7
Msg: 9
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 10:57:13 AM
The Leopard, or ill Gattopardo.
Classic tale of the Italian unification.
 daynadaze
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 11:43:34 AM
So many that moved me, I couldn't possibly narrow it down, and of course I would then think of so many more once I made a list.

Movie I've seen in the last few years that made me cry the most, couldn't stop, and it's not even very closely based on the true story it came from, but it got to me and I cried for some time after it was over:

Hachi: A Dog's Tale, with Richard Gere The longing of that poor dog waiting and waiting and in such bad weather, I couldn't take it. I can never take movies, without bawling my head off, of children or animals being abused or in emotional distress.

I tend to let go with movies, TV shows, commercials and cry because in real life I have to suck it up so much just to get through.

I'm also a sucker for emotional Robin Williams movies, he could do to the depths.

The Fisher King
Awakenings
Patch Adams
The World According to Garp

And so many I'm blanking on. The Fisher King rips me to pieces every time I see it.
 WhoamI_46
Msg: 11
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 11:43:36 AM
All time favorite is "Dead Poets Society" Never get tired of watching it. It picks me up all the time.

I also like the Lake House with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Nice romantic story.
 razors_edge55
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 12:56:04 PM
my all time are old timers , 1 city lights 2 random harvest 3 penny seranade , if you can make it threw any of these without a tear , I would say see a doc.
PS I have to say there was a part in "the gold rush" 1925 the first time I saw it in a public library that "I felt time stand still" no joke ,never happen before or sence .(no ,no drink or drugs )
 Muttonforpunishment
Msg: 13
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 2:03:49 PM
A Christmas Carol

The scene where Scrooge goes to his Nephew's home at the end ...He's apprehensive as he visits Fred's house for the Christmas party he had been invited to the day before. The amazed maid, having taken Scrooge's coat, give him encouragement through a smile and a nod as he pauses with trepidation .

His entrance brings the dancing and merriment to a shocked silence as he enters. Fred is surprised, then delighted to welcome his uncle to the party. But Scrooge, knowing the pain he had caused Fred's wife through his disapproval of their marriage, is afraid that she will not be happy to see him.

With great regret he expresses his sorrow over his past actions, and asks if she can forgive him for being a "pig-headed old fool, with no eyes to see with, and no ears to hear with." Her eyes show the pain he has brought, which melts into joy as she willingly accepts his apology and blesses him for the happiness he has brought to Fred.

This scene gets to me every time! It is the final element of restoration needed for the story, and the most touching !
Scrooge is warmly embraced by his niece by marriage, and his joy is complete.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 14
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/2/2015 4:21:18 PM
Nothing has really move me and I don't watch movies much. But I guess an interesting one was Hotel Rwanda.
When the genocide took place I was 16, 17. Not only was I preoccupied with health troubles, but I was also a self-centered teenager. I remember a little of tv news, but I certainly didn't know the words, names, and issues.

In university I did a 1st year anthropology and I learned more and the who what when where why. And then seeing the movie, even though it was just a film, brought another eye-opening understanding.
 Ainen
Msg: 15
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/3/2015 8:32:08 AM
Up there with Old Yeller is Brian's Song.
 flyguy51
Msg: 16
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/3/2015 9:13:44 AM
The Shawshank Redemption (my favorite movie)
Apollo 13
Saving Private Ryan
Gran Torino
The Green Mile
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Braveheart
Gladiator
The Best Years of Our Lives
It's a Wonderful Life
Soldier In the Rain
The Last of the Mohicans

And most recently: American Sniper
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 17
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/3/2015 9:18:42 AM
Long ago: Black Orpheus, and Never on Sunday.

More recently: The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

And: Love Actually.
 Muttonforpunishment
Msg: 18
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/3/2015 9:26:40 AM
" The Invention of Lying " may be a Ricky Gervais comedy but the scene where he's at his mom's bedside as she's about to die and she's telling him she's afraid ..... yeah, that' difficult for me to watch. My mom is still alive and am not looking forward to that .
 mark/1948
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/3/2015 9:53:34 AM
while soldier in the rain is funny and sad at the same time, three day of the condor is a movie for any time. think snowden, petraus, daniel ellswoth. for fun see if you can pick out he scene that was homaged in seinfeld.
 overunity
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/3/2015 9:59:08 AM
The Bridges Of Madison County.
 BussOfEsprit
Msg: 21
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/3/2015 3:55:41 PM
The Impossible, 2012 – The scene with Ewan McGregor’s character, where he was finally able to make a phone call back home. The anguish he was able to restrain and conceal burst through and reduced him to a lump of raw incoherent emotion, at least for a moment.

We Were Soldiers, 2002 – The scene with Madeleine Stowe and the taxi service brining her the telegram.
 matthew83co
Msg: 22
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/3/2015 6:14:19 PM
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Chancellor Gorkon's line: "Don't let it end this way.")

Inception (Just for "Time" by Hans Zimmer. It's ****ing beautiful!)

Gladiator (Maximus' line: "Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. Hold the line! Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!")

Of Gods and Generals, Gettysburg (I'll keep them in line together. Both are great films and both compel the emotional reality that an actual civil war isn't so cut and dry.)
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 23
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/3/2015 10:15:29 PM
1987 Escape from Sobibor.
It is the story of the mass escape from the extermination camp at Sobibor.
My heart is saddened to remember this movie.!!
 Dee4166
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/4/2015 2:55:43 AM
The Last of the Mohicans...What an epic!
The scene where they burn the general alive and Daniel grabs a gun runs to a good vantage point and puts a bullet through his head...very poignant...

Dogma...because I LOVE Kevin Smith!!! I'm a lapsed Catholic and could really relate to his views....

300...Went to see it because it was largely filmed here, but ended up loving that movie....
There are SO many!!!

What Dreams May Come....When he discovers who his 'guides' are.....well I was a PUDDLE, I tell you...a PUDDLE on the floor!!!

I will be back...... The Terminator......Arnie was BORN for that role.....

Not a movie but the series Planet Earth...was just SPECTACULAR.....I love David Attenborough and he did, as usual, an incredible job of narrating...I watched the making of it as well and it was AMAZING how they actually got some of the shots that they did....Gave me a new found appreciation for our Home and reminded me of all of the creatures that we are responsible to care for here....

Monty Python...well, ANYTHING!!! My favourite is The Meaning of Life.....
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Movies that move you
Posted: 3/4/2015 4:47:15 AM
Hotel Rwanda, A Dry White Season, The original Brian's Song, Schindlers list.
Things We Lost In The Fire, The Life Of David gale, Crash, Casualties Of War,Its A Wonderful Life and Judgement At Nuremberg with so much real footage in the film.Fried Green Tomatoes,

Also some mentioned above

Get out the tissues.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Movies that move you