Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 1
Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 2 awesome ladies who are forums regulars who have a passion for their hobby/lifestyle.

Won't mention names, but...one is a pretty down under lady who loves her boat & sailing & the other is a petite Sally Field look a like who loves to hike.

I LOVE hearing their joy when they write about their passion(s) in life & it seems to be incredulous that either is still dating, but...

Sometimes I wonder if our passionate hobby limits us in dating?
 DietFree
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:13:34 AM

Sometimes I wonder if our passionate hobby limits us in dating?

Of course it does...sometimes.

I don't mind hiking, but not the amount of miles and hours that "Sally Field" seems to do all the time.

I wouldn't mind hanging with the girl from Oz in her boat......but I draw the line of swimming with sharks (like in one of her older photos).
 Walts
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:18:34 AM
Again, you use the word/term "success" with "dating"?????

You do ask though if our hobbies will "limit" us in the dating field. Which of course, is a big yes.

Along with other things. Our thoughts and beliefs will do the same. So will our actions. We are all individuals, growing up and living in different areas and raised by different "types" of parents. So, as adults, older adults, we have evolved differently and not all people will see any "connection" with a lot of other individuals.

So, we have hikers, boaters, musicians, gamers, etc. All wired a little differently, and with that, attract differently.

Just off the top of my head, whiskey and fly fishing for steelhead are two of mine. Has eliminated many, and I do mean many potentials off the list. Just part of the deal. Especially if you throw a little passion for those hobbies in there. With that, do know, that I still sip, and toss feathers at those finned creatures.
 Eternityboreme
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:41:56 AM
A jet-setter wouldn't be a good match for me. Ordinarily, a well-traveled person who may go to a destination yearly for a short-term holiday is about right for me, though. :-) (I won't count this year, though...)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:53:36 AM

I'm less discerning when it comes to weed.

Weed has that effect.
 Walts
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:54:20 AM

the whiskey would have to be some real top-shelf stuff tho

It sure as phuck isn't Jack, that's for sure. ;)

I'm less discerning when it comes to weed.

Past time, not a hobby. Though, if you are gonna smoke it, you might as well smoke the best stuff grown in the world. Even the medical growers are now asking for advice from our BC growers, to try and get it right. Hopefully in another 10 years or so, you'll understand that weed isn't as bad as the shiat info you have been fed in your lifetime.
 carolann0308
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2015 8:06:22 AM
Your partner should share your passions, a healthy hobby lasts a lifetime but some guy you meet for a drink probably won't.
And all people aren't obsessed with being part of a couple.
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/25/2015 8:09:18 AM
Yes, especially when its a living, breathing hobby that costs thousands of dollars a year to maintain.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/25/2015 8:33:12 AM
Model building - the cold shower of hobbies.
 Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2015 8:33:42 AM

Sometimes I wonder if our passionate hobby limits us in dating

Nope!! Not at all!! As a matter of fact, some of my hobbies actually promote meeting new people and ladies in general. As I get older, social functions that are part of my hobbies (like cars meets, golfing, etc.) are prime places for me to be social and meet wonderful people in general.

My hobbies also provide topics for conversation and make it easier to approach women and likewise for them to approach me.

For me, hobbies are entirely positive from a social perspective.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/25/2015 9:15:35 AM

Personally I love model building. I haven't done it myself, but I've encouraged it in others. I'd help out. The only reason I don't is because I can't use my fine motor skills in my right hand. Otherwise I would.

I'm a puzzle nut though. I even went to a few meetup.com puzzle groups where we did puzzles. Now if that doesn't scream hot sexy mess I don't know what does.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/25/2015 9:38:39 AM
It depends on how they manage their hobbies.

One of my hobbies is working on cars, buying tools (building a mac daddy toolbox), reading about automotive technology and such to see what's out there, what's coming, laws passed regarding automotive, etc.

Another hobby of mine is ballroom dancing, when I'm going full-throttle, that's 2-3 times a week for 2-3 hours each time. When I buy a packaged deal, then it's for unlimited classes so I can be there Monday-Saturday if I so wish to.

Another hobby which will soon consume my summer, is hiking and long distance walking. I do it every weekend in the summer, so I date during the weekdays because I'm recovering during the weekends from all the walking and hiking.

My most notorious hobby is taking courses and earning degrees in various fields, that is about the most expensive hobby I have, but also what allows me to make a lot of money if I put it in motion and work in those fields. I recently thought of either going to med school or law school, but at 30 years of age, I kinda wanna relax a little bit and make the time for a potential relationship or more time to work on cars, I've been in school all my life.

I am not compatible with people who go to the gym to stay in shape as I go to the gym for sport, to stay in relative good health, but not necessarily to get cut up or anything. I'm not compatible with a beach bum, as I don't like to be out there in the sun (it ages you), and I don't like to bake, I wear long sleeve shirts and pants with sun hat and the whole 9, I do not like to tan.

I am not compatible with people who drink and party every weekend, I've never been into that. Some people party very seriously, like they have spots they go to according to who is the DJ, which celebrities will go, what's hot, what's trending, etc. A friend of mine used to be a club promoter, she always look worn out.
 naysaying_knicktwist
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/25/2015 9:51:11 AM
Joe

Aww, model-building is adorable. Like TGNAlli, I have encouraged it in others. Gone shopping at hobby stores, given my input on color schemes (my excitement over the idea of a Hello Kitty plane was never shared), bought model kits as gifts, had model planes hanging from the ceiling in my house. I have fond memories associated with model-building.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2015 3:47:04 PM
Don't wonder- it DOES.

At the tender age of 12, I climbed aboard my first motorcycle. Back during the early seventies, riding wasn't fashionable, and when I told any prospective lady that I rode, it was like I told them that I was a leper. Invariably, they had a friend/cousin/brother, who got injured/crippled/killed on one. It didn't matter that I spent 7 years riding off road first, before I ever ventured out on the street. Many though that riding was going to kill me. Well, 45 years later, and almost a half million miles aboard various bikes, I'm still here. Over the years, a few have asked me if I was afraid of dying on a motorcycle. My reply to that was-

Aren't you afraid of getting in bed? Most people die in bed.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2015 4:14:59 PM
Depends on pov. My adventures( Indiana Jones music plays in background) can both limit and expand my dating success, if dating is looked at as a fun, passionate adventure. It closes local avenues but opens up international ones. But I must confess that dating can limit that hobby completely. I just suffered though the coldest/most miserable winter I have remembered in a longtime due to having a GF and her working. If I was single I would have escaped to Greece( THIS IS SPARTA!) or at least Florida!

My other hobby which is more like work; rescue group/shelter, ACTUALLY opens many possibilities since most of my workers/assistance's are younger females and they are perpetually single due to their well.... 'cat lady' tendencies.
 kj521
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/25/2015 4:27:06 PM
Have to say.....my orgami hobby didn't impress my last date.

Not even when I brought paper, showed him and explained in detail how to make the cute little crane that you can pull its' backside and the wings flap!

Whatever.....no accounting for taste. But you can bet your sweet patooty that crane went home with me.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2015 4:40:07 PM
Hobbies like sailing and hiking men can participate in. Not so much origami, knitting or arts and crafts. However our hobbies should not interfere with our dating life, why would they? I have rather unusual interests and if a guy is not tolerant of those then we are not a match. Does not have to participate. It is healthy for men and women to have their separate past times as well as things in common.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2015 4:45:35 PM
Truth is, everything about us limits our dating potentials. But, that is not a bad thing, if there were no limits, we'd date anybody and everybody. We need some limits to filter out those that would not be appropriate partners.

Hobbies, interests, etc. are just one aspect of how we go about living our lives, so of course it will limit who we would want to add to our lives. I also think we don't have to share everything, it's good to have separate interest, I think it's all a balance and a blend. I think where some people go wrong is looking for some cookie cutter image of themselves, their male or female equivalent. How boring would that be...blek. I think the ideal is to have some common interests, some different, and to be open to learning the other persons and see if we might like them.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/25/2015 4:54:07 PM
Do you know how the older you get, the quicker time seems to fly?

I was worried about this, so I took up a hobby of counting the number of cheerios in a box. It's not so much the whole cheerios, it's putting together all those broke cheerios that give me fits.

But now, a day seems like a month. It did seem to turn off many dates, so I turned to dating in Thailand. It's a blessing many don't understand English.

So my wife didn't know what cheerios were, she thought I was counting something worth a lot of money. Now that she is here, we have a few issues to deal with .
 kj521
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:02:36 PM
Bucsgirl.....you are absolutely right.

Funny thing is when I started dating and married my late husband.....compatible hobbies just never came up.
Some his were deep sea fishing, golfing, and working on and racing dirtbikes....and mine were shopping, decorating and well....more shopping.
I would participate with him in some of his activities and he would sometimes come with me to hold my purse and purchases.

And when I didn't want him to know how much money I was spending....I very sweetly suggested he should take the day and go fishing.
It worked out well..... :)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:04:30 PM
Dragonbytes...given your experience as a Cheerio-counting enthusiast...approximately how many are in a family size box? I have been considering that hobby as a supplement to my cycling, trailrunning, and snowshoeing endeavors. Some of the arguments that occur on the Cheerio-counting hobbyist websites are even more vicious than this place!
 Maleman999
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:14:37 PM
Do you make sure you count the cheerios that you eat while you're counting them?
 dragonbytes
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:18:48 PM
This isn't well known, but General Mills "says" there are 6,565 cheerios in a 25.25 oz box, HOWEVER, several times I have had a short count, only 6,560 in two boxes!!

You can't imagine the stir this created on our hobby site, we were all a twitter for weeks.

I was so OUTRAGED about this, I sent a nasty note to General Mills.

They stepped up and sent me 10 cheerios and a coupon for a discount on cheerios.

Lesson learned, always hold those corporate fat cat's feet to the fire.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/25/2015 5:49:42 PM
I think I've reached the point of needing a break from the forums.

*pulling out hair*

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-cheerios-counting-book-barbara-barbieri-mcgrath/1112448034?ean=9780590683586

^^^^^
WTF?
 Dragracer428
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/25/2015 6:44:09 PM
Have a hobby that on the face of it would seem to limit my dating during racing season since I spend a lot of summer weekends at a dragstrip. ON a busy year I have spent 17 weekends at a track between mid May and Oct. But has not been the case. Dragracing is a very low key social sport, brief periods of time racing broken up by lots of downtime waiting for the next race.
I date women who are adventurous enough to try coming to the track and find they enjoy the atmosphere when they get there. Of course I have also found all the women I have dated quite willing to go anywhere, their thought seems to be " I don't care where we go, as long as we go SOMEWHERE!!!" I do enjoy theatre, concert etc all thru the year so it is not all track time.
Last LTR is a cowgirl who does western style horse events, we enjoyed each others events as we had time.

It is not hard, anyone with a zest for life and a bit of an adventurous soul will find a way to enjoy it all.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?