Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > stuff we really should have learned in school      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 junipermoon
Msg: 1
view profile
History
stuff we really should have learned in schoolPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
so, i joined a f.b. group of people who enjoy watching and discussing the bald eagle family on the nest down in hanover.

i got a shock earlier today when a woman, well into her 40s, asked how long the eaglets will go under their mother to nurse. i didn't respond, but, needless to say, she got a couple hundred responses basically calling her an idiot.

i doubt the woman is stupid. she claims to hold two degrees and says that two of her children are teachers. but how did something so fundamental not get taught to this woman? god, we learned about this in 5th grade!

actually i find it appalling that someone would ask something like that. kind of like the qvc host who claims that the moon is a planet.

does anyone else see a problem here? or am i just a snot?
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 2
stuff we really should have learned in school
Posted: 4/15/2015 5:34:32 PM
Wellll... I did wonder for the longest time why chicken breasts don't have nipples...
 purplerider1200
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2015 5:45:15 PM
Obviously, neither degree required a course in animal husbandry. Maybe she was sick that day.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/15/2015 5:58:27 PM
She was probably a liberal arts major.
 junipermoon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2015 6:04:54 PM

She was probably a liberal arts major.

have a degree in English and another in secondary ed.

they taught us the differences between mammals and reptiles in about 5th grade. i'm guessing it was the same in public schools.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/15/2015 6:08:05 PM
Perhaps she just used the wrong word. Synonyms for "nursing" include:

caring for
tending
watching over
attending
cherishing
fostering
 junipermoon
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2015 6:13:14 PM

Perhaps she just used the wrong word. Synonyms for "nursing" include:

caring for
tending
watching over
attending
cherishing
fostering

subsequent posts indicated this is not the case. the woman plainly meant that the mother eagle nursed her young the way mammals do.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/15/2015 6:28:18 PM
Juniper, i remember learning the same basic critter stuff in 3rd grade. She may have one of those mail order degrees or maybe she just never cared nor paid attention to anything but the useless poetry or whatever that pleased her imagination back in the day. I have met people who aren't dumb but they just never paid much attention to the things they didn't fancy, and some never learn how to spell, so i figure it's the same with basic science.

I did my best to ignore english lit, barf.

I eventually learned to appreciate it, esp the subtle sarcasm of jane austen.

At least she's appreciating eagley nature.

I do want to punch someone when i hear them say nucular, 'come over here and let me kill you'.

So yeah i'm a snot about some things too.
 DietFree
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2015 7:53:39 PM
Personally, I can't recall if I was ever taught about eagles in the 5th grade, or any grade for that matter. I learned about eagles and the feeding/raising their young by reading and watching wildlife documentaries.

Sadly, some people just don't retain all the "learnings" that they were taught in school.
 MsMicki
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2015 4:16:07 AM
Guess that's just the difference between people....

I would see this as opportunity to educate, instead of an opportunity to degrade...........
 Walts
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/16/2015 4:25:20 AM
This story points to our North American education systems failure to teach. It's not that she didn't grasp the differences between mammals and birds but, she didn't have the ability to pick up on those differences throughout her "adult" years. We are to teach our children the ability to think, question, and think again. With those abilities you will gain "facts" throughout your life. If you don't have those abilities, you only believe or "know" what is spoon fed to ya.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/16/2015 5:31:48 AM
Perhaps she had someone pull a prank when she was a child and never realized it was one.
For example - I had a female german sheperd pup when I was pre school. She was brown and black. My Daddy told me the females were always brown and black, the males grey and black. I believed that for a number of years. :)
But a friend.. well he was told his pet rooster flew away to join the Seagulls. So I am not the dullest knife in the drawer
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/16/2015 5:35:21 AM
Damn, junipermoon. You appear to be naked in your default photo.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2015 7:24:40 AM
This is an example of how the internet has unleashed meanness and cruelty. In a real life setting, there would be a few rude comments uttered softly in the back of the room. Whoever was running the show would give a brief explanation. Welcome to the future of human interaction.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/16/2015 7:31:56 AM

i doubt the woman is stupid. she claims to hold two degrees and says that two of her children are teachers. but how did something so fundamental not get taught to this woman? god, we learned about this in 5th grade!

I am going to turn this around with a statement that was taught to me by a Guru that taught seminars about creativity, productivity and entrepreneurship.

He said, and I paraphrase because he said this so long ago.

"There are no stupid questions. Just narrow, judgmental people that fail to see the importance of such questions."

How many Americans can right off the bat without thinking tell me what is the capital of Hungary? What about Nigeria? Not a lot of people. Does that make you stupid? No. You ask that question to people from many other countries that are less xenophobic and aware of the world and they will give you the answer right off the bat. So I applaud that woman for asking. I applaud that woman for her confusion with mammals.

One of the biggest problems we have in America is that we are afraid of asking the obvious questions, particularly when there's a huge elephant in the room, but nobody seems to look at it. People consider better to remain ignorant, but polite and coming across as knowing. Then we teach this crap to children and they instead of asking all those hairy questions become part of the sheet that never ask, and consequently lose their sense of curiosity and adventure.

This becomes the affliction that kills creativity, kills original thought because we FEAR what others would think of ourselves.

So ask all the stupid questions. Ask them loud and clear, and ask them again. And perhaps instead of judging people as stupid, we will learn something about our selves.
 MaccaFan2
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/16/2015 7:35:46 AM
OP, you must "shock" easily....
Doesn't seem to be something I'd get so worked up about-she got hundreds of responses calling her stupid, etc?
Doesn't sound like a group I would want to be a part of-did anyone kindly answer her question?
Bet it will be a long time before she asks a question on FB, stupid or otherwise.
 chameleonf
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/16/2015 7:56:51 AM
I don't care what age you are...there's nothing like being told you're an idiot by 100 people that kills a desire to learn, even something which one would think a person "should have" learned and retained years ago. I'd think a person would be showing more signs of intelligence by answering a question in an informative manner than being a snot and ridiculing people for asking the question.
 MrNomer
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/16/2015 7:58:38 AM

kind of like the qvc host who claims that the moon is a planet

the new planet classification could/would include the moon as a planet.

asked how long the eaglets will go under their mother to nurse.

doubtful that was anything more than speaking without thinking ... how often does mother feed young??

does anyone else see a problem here? or am i just a snot?

snot ... :-)
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/16/2015 10:36:47 AM
Some people are very smart but within a few subjects. it can be for many reasons, Anywhere from what was there major or what really interested them when they were younger. In school I had a history professor that I loved to attend his classes. Very smart he could talk with you about world events. I loved to talk to him about politics. He would have failed 5th grade math. He was totally useless with math. He also admitted that he is clueless about how to use tools. He does not even own a hammer. It never interested him. He did speak Chinese, French, Germen, Spanish, Italian and a few others I cant think of now.

I know of a person right now that also thought that chickens nursed the chicks. He never thought about it till then.
He also thought that all the eggs that chickens lay are fertilized. He had no idea they needed the roster. He is a smart guy who has a lot of responsibility but till we talked about chickens he never thought about it. At first I thought he was joking, Then I answered his questions and we talked about the birds and the bees lol. Yes I did make fun of him But it was friendly not as a way to put someone down or tell them how stupid he was cause he didn't know what I knew.

I would bet some of those very smart people who made fun of that woman. If they joined people in other groups they would come out as the fools who don't know the basics. At some point you need to ask or you never learn.
The day you stop learning something new is the day you might as well lay down and die.

Have you ever heard of the saying " I know that I know nothing"
Find out who said it. He was a very smart man for a reason.
Or a version of the same saying that goes " I know that I don't know therefor I know"
I liked the second version of it and use it all the time.

Yes I do agree you are a SNOT
 Dee4166
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2015 11:38:29 AM
I agree with a lot of what others have already said....

No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people....

I can 'forgive' ignorance, it's those who think that a few letters after their names has somehow conferred some 'great' intelligence upon them....that really irk me...

I've worked with too many people with TRAILS of letters after their names who I wouldn't want to have to rely on in the most MINOR crisis, as their practical knowledge of the world outside of their specialties is unknown territory to them...and common sense seems to have bypassed them altogether...

Did it seem like something the average person should know? Perhaps...but when you factor in the fact that the 'average' level of intelligence seems to be declining as the years go by, perhaps not....

Seems these days people, especially young people seem more content to play video games and while away HOURS on Youtube rather than say, pick up a book and read....Or, go for a walk....Or talk to a neighbour....

All of these activities contribute to a well-rounded person and personality....out here in the REAL WORLD...From experience comes knowledge and information....

Good on the woman in question for asking her question despite the fact that she was lambasted for it....

As for you, OP...I don't call people names, generally speaking...so no, I DON'T think you're a 'snot', just a bit quick on the judgmental draw, so to speak...A failing shared by virtually EVERY human being at some point or another....
I, personally, try to catch myself when going there, and sometimes I'm even successful!!! LOL

I just try and remind myself that as smart as I THINK I am, there is a WHOLE world of info out there that I, myself, have yet to discover....and learning should be a lifelong goal...As Lagood...said, the day that I feel that I truly 'know it all' is the day that I may as well lay down and die....imho
 browneyesboo
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/16/2015 11:52:45 AM
Well, I have a part time job in a bookstore, and I can't believe the questions that
get asked in there.

Do you have the book How to kill a Mockingjay...I believe it's a self help book for birds.
Do you have books about aliens and spaceships, complete with pictures....preferably colored pictures.
Do you have the book Shakespeare written by Hamlet translated into easy to read by Ophelia?
Do you have that book 1924...it's very famous, written by that guy orville redenbacker? (side note to her
daughter...I wonder if he's a decedent of the popcorn guy?)

This list goes on. If these questions came from students, I'd just laugh, but sadly the parents tend to
do the talking for their kids.

I agree that some people know lots of things about some things and not so much about others.
To be honest, I just found out a few years ago that the groundhog was actually kept in a cage and
brought out for the event....I thought the little bugger was the real deal...hahahahaha!
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/16/2015 12:23:36 PM

I'd think a person would be showing more signs of intelligence by answering a question in an informative manner than being a snot and ridiculing people for asking the question.

Or lazily sitting back and watching the action from a safe distance.

I would bet at least half the “couple hundred” people insulting this woman didn’t know the answer either, until someone googled it and started the ball rolling. Jump on the bully bandwagon, plenty of room.

Sounds like a fun group though. :/
 Dee4166
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2015 12:31:37 PM
Ok Boo...I'll give you this one...LMAO

I'd probably spontaneously COMBUST if I had to deal with those kind of questions all day....LOL From the PARENTS, you say????
That would be a REAL exercise in not being judgmental...and I would surely FAIL miserably at at least SOME points...Either that or accidentally laugh in someone's face inappropriately....lol

Ah well...that's why my DREAM is to go and live somewhere remote, by myself, or with the right guy, in the wilds of Labrador or the Yukon and be totally self-sustaining.....

At least THAT way I have SOME measure of control over how much stupidity is in my 'space'....lol

I'd have to keep an internet connection though...In case I ever think about returning to 'civilization'....
 Eekitsthebug
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/16/2015 12:40:07 PM
Agreeing with Sunshine. I work with the public. There are very intelligent people that make ... Ah...interesting statements. I've done the same. I learned what I did about nature from time spent In the country and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

I agree that some people know lots of things about some things and not so much about others.
To be honest, I just found out a few years ago that the groundhog was actually kept in a cage and
brought out for the event....I thought the little bugger was the real deal...hahahahaha!

Did you see Groundhog Day too?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/16/2015 12:44:14 PM
^^^^um...yeah I did.
It was a revelation...hahahahahahaha!

I just remember seeing a guy all dressed up with a top hat pulling
the groundhog out of a cage and I was like wait a minute...WTF?
Whether it was in the movie or something I saw on the news...I'm not sure.

*I bring shame to myself, my family and my cow*
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > stuff we really should have learned in school