Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Why is there no link to the forums???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 UnusualEd
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why is there no link to the forums???Page 1 of 1    
I've been using POF for a few months now, and only found out the forums still existed (I think I used them years ago) when I saw a link to an event (as it randomly started sending me event invites today, never had one before, got two today!) which brought me to the forums.

For some reason though there isn't a link on the POF page to the forums. The forum page includes FORUMS on the banner, but the POF page doesn't for some reason.

So the majority of people will never know they're here!
 kj521
Msg: 2
Why is there no link to the forums???
Posted: 4/27/2015 6:08:56 PM
I know! Isn't that sad, Mr. Unusual?

What do you think we should do about it? Any suggestions?
 purplerider1200
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2015 1:37:59 PM
I found the forums through Google. I knew they were there a couple years ago, then they were dropped when the site was redesigned.Then, a year ago, when I changed my system, I found them again.

Now, I don't get all of the forums. There again, a search on google, and they showed up. I also can't start a new thread. A few others have mentioned that.
 Peas_
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/6/2015 7:08:48 PM
New wave of the trends. Cutting out the wackos that post on the internet forums. lol
 SLAFFA
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/10/2015 10:47:16 PM
As far as I know, none of the Mods were ever paid. And I simply assume that Big Fish hand picked all of them?

IMO, it was easy to see for anyone [with a "reasonable" IQ] who came to the Forums to visit, that all Mods were not created equal. And being Human entitled every Mod to a bad hair day once in a while. A few seemed to have far more bad hair days than good ones. Favoritism or whatever anyone wishes to call it certainly "appeared" to be at work. [Just my opinion of course] It certainly looked like not everyone got a fair shake at the various Forums. And I DID have my own dealings with several personally to go by. A 3 YEAR timeout from one. [With a keepsake pic for proof]

Maybe [???] this "appearance" that not everyone at the Forums was created equal or treated equally irritated Big Fish so he decided to hide them? It's his site. He could have done away with them completely. As far as I know, the only links now are > local Fishmeets and a reference somewhere > Profile Reviews. Any 10 year old perusing the Forums for the first time would quickly see that PR bring out the very best in people. Basically sharp people offering "good advice" on their own time to help others. It also seems most folks at PR are respectful enough to not make an OP wade through endless flirting and chatting. Both have always been against the rules.

I would not hold my breath for them to come back and be RElinked. Even when the Forum pond was much larger, the chances of meeting F2F someone you discovered in the Forums was very slim and none and I have no trouble flying or driving across the country. The REALITY is that few folks could do w/o their cellphones and/or Facebook for longer than an 8 hour stretch but have ZERO interest in Forums of any kind.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/13/2015 2:47:53 AM
Just like shelf space in supermarkets, all space on a web site must generate income.
If a feature does not add to the commercial interests of the site then there's no reason to display it.
Better to use that space for a link to something that will generate income.
How much income do the forums generate? I don't think very much. They don't display any ads. I doubt many people would buy a paid membership because of the forum content. In fact the opposite, reading the forums would probably give people the idea that paid membership is pointless. So the forums actually discourage people to pay.
Forum software is complicated, requires moderation to stop people fighting like little kids, updates, bug fixes, spam removal, hacking prevention, etc. A lot of maintenance work.
The only valid reason for the forums really, is to prevent people quitting the site (profile reviews) and organizing events. Neither of which contribute much income. There's what, 5-10 profile review threads a day and maybe 5% of them are paid members so even if they are all saved by a profile review, that's an income of about 5 subscriptions per week.
The forums take a lot of work for very little or no benefit for the site as a whole.

TL;DR: This is a profit making website, not a public service. It is not in the commercial interests of the site owner to have a link to the forums, therefore there is no link to the forums.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/15/2015 1:02:36 PM
POF depends on click-traffic to sell ads. Markus Fink doesn't want new users to find the forums, and immediately see other users complaining about what a shitty time they're having on POF. Gotta keep those newbies in the dark so they'll keep clicking.
 whiterose0
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/15/2015 6:01:09 PM
There is a link to the forums right at the bottom of your sign-in page. Do you see the middle "Help" column where the word, "forums" appears in small letters? Click on it.

http://www.pof.com/inbox.aspx
 Peas_
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/10/2015 5:40:08 PM

POF depends on click-traffic to sell ads. Markus Fink doesn't want new users to find the forums, and immediately see other users complaining about what a shitty time they're having on POF. Gotta keep those newbies in the dark so they'll keep clicking.

That is called PPC. Pay Per Click, and Dustin invented that on DH. Don't cha know? lol
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Why is there no link to the forums???