Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Frustrated by Experience on POF and ready to throw in the Towel      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GalacticExplorer
Msg: 1
Frustrated by Experience on POF and ready to throw in the TowelPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Sooo,

I have been on POF awhile and have had a few dates but no real connections or chemistry yet.
And to tell you the truth I'm pretty frustrated by the whole experience and not sure what to do about it.

You see while I an attractive man or at least I think so and have been told so on my dates I take Sucky Pictures.
I just always have taken sucky pictures. I just don't seem to take good pictures smiling or not. It's been that way all my life. In fact the best picture I have of me was taken with my x-wife of 25 years and I don't think posting that would be such a good idea.

I realize that we live in a Visual World, Especially when it comes to dating and finding a mate but it is frustrating to me to read Hundreds of profiles from ladies saying how there looking for a decent guy who wont play games with them or cheat on them or lie to them, etc, etc.

Send out a email to them saying Hi how are doing and get Nothing back from them. It happens so often that it gets very frustrating and makes me just want to give up on POF or finding anybody one it. And I know what's happening.

My pictures are just killing me, No really. Woman look at my pictures and make a snap judgment based solely on my picture without looking at the man behind it or think about the qualities they say they actually looking for in a mate.
It's All Visual with them and nothing less, nothing more.

In closing I will finally add this.

Ladies, I realize I'm Not Mr. GQ but then I'm not Mr. Ugly either and I am one of the most straight forward and honest and caring guys you will ever meet on POF. Sooo, If your looking for a decent guy like you say you are and you can actually look past a crappy picture you might be pleasantly surprised who you actually meet on our 1st date.

Take it from the last date I had just last week. the 1st words out of mouth when she met me was
"Oh, you look better then you do in your Pictures, I'm Surprised"

Thanks for reading my Rant.....
Good luck to you on POF.
 Eckhartwarmingtolle
Msg: 2
Frustrated by Experience on POF and ready to throw in the Towel
Posted: 4/30/2015 3:23:48 PM
420 friendly , eh ?

Going by your second pic , I never would have guessed, lol

Maybe don't take pix while your " galactic exploring " ?

Just a suggestion
 kj521
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/30/2015 3:37:47 PM
Lmao! Mr. Tolle!

I don't know what to tell you! I am a freakin Goddess! Oh course, I don't wear my glasses when I look in the mirror but....it ain't working for me either. :(

Oooh.....is it because I am wine friendly?
 ryuoki
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2015 3:38:02 PM
You got dates, so that is already a bonus. Just because they did not work out doesn't mean to call it quits. Thomas Edison was asked about his failures in making the lightbulb. He responded that he did not see them as failures, but ways it did not work.

You could try my numbers of 4 years, over 1k ladies contacted and only 2 actual dates. Apparently wanting kids at my age is a red flag seeing as no women my age want them anymore. And I am getting too old apparently for the younger who are open to the idea. So keep your chin up, you could have the same desires as I do.

And being 420 friendly does not always indicate consumption, but that it is tolerated if the mate does.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2015 3:48:06 PM
There's nothing in your profile. It's not your pictures. Zero effort profiles won't get you very far.

And, yes, your pictures suck. One is blurry and one hides your face with sunglasses.

You need a profile review stat.
 GalacticExplorer
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/30/2015 3:54:04 PM
He say's as he sucking on his 3rd beer ;-)
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/30/2015 3:56:09 PM

Woman look at my pictures and make a snap judgment based solely on my picture without looking at the man behind it or think about the qualities they say they actually looking for in a mate.

They do the same to me.

Oh, wait a minute, I have no pictures.

They look at my "no pictures" and make a snap judgment without thinking about the qualities they say they are actually looking for in a mate.

Because, as it has been well documented, having pictures on a random international dating website automatically makes one a better human being. (actually, it doesn't)

Good luck to you on POF.

And good luck to you, too.
 kj521
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/30/2015 3:59:43 PM
Ya know...Mr. Fullmoonguy......

I am curious.....have you ever posted a pic? :)
 Eckhartwarmingtolle
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/30/2015 4:01:58 PM

And being 420 friendly does not always indicate consumption, but that it is tolerated if the mate does.

True , but in this case check out his second pic and his user name - you don't need a calculator for this one , lol

Not that there's anything wrong with it, just saying you can't post two lame pix and then complain you don't take good pix.

Get real, you're not even trying.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/30/2015 4:04:41 PM

Ya know...Mr. Fullmoonguy......

I am curious.....have you ever posted a pic? :)

Never ever on any dating website in the known universe.

Which means I could be a man, a woman, 85 years old, or 12 years old.

However, those women who have met me in person know that I am exactly what I say I am.
 kj521
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/30/2015 4:33:08 PM
Yes....you could be Mr. Fullmoonguy. ....

and nothing wrong with that....your privacy is your own.

I was just curious is all....and I beg your pardon. :)

purplerider1200
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2015 5:20:41 PM
You could be the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread, and still not get anywhere on OLD. It's the reality of it all, hitting at once- Many men just don't do well on OLD. Women just won't settle for an average joe on here. Speak the truth, be yourself, be courteous, say please and thank you, and you get to be as attractive as old roadkill. You're not alone. I choose to be here for entertainment. After four years, I know the score. This is no place for a man to find dates.
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/30/2015 6:12:41 PM
Everyone thinks they're the greatest thing since sliced bread and a great guy.
At your age and being a cigarette smoker.. plus 420...I don't know, I would assume you would want the same in a woman....cuts your odds down a lot.
Yes, your pictures are not good and your profile lacks any effort.
I might question your age too because you do look older to me.
I apologize if it's not true.....I'm so mixed up on what 50 or 60 is suppose to look like anymore because so many are
not truthful.
Get some help with new pictures and a decent profile....
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/30/2015 6:39:55 PM
Why aren't you going out again with your date from last week?
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/30/2015 6:51:56 PM
/\/\/\ i was gonna say.

Op you really haven't been here that long.... 90 days is just enough time to return that POS you bought at wally world. You are like a spoiled impatient child at xmas if you think you can just show up here and get rewarded for it. I would say that only works for the pretty young ladies, but their problem is the opposite of yours which is getting swamped with emails from pervy mofos... emails emails everywhere and nary a man to meet.

So I'm sure the ladies you'd like to meet have lots of other options, not saying you're a perv.I haven't looked at your profile but if it's as others have said, then most people are going to shrug you off and that's life.

You could be here for years and nothing to show for it but a few weird stories to tell. Online dating is not for everyone.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2015 7:04:22 PM
Yeah OP, OLD can be frustrating.

But, keep your chin up, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, throw on some Hai Karate after shave and get out into a real life setting where lively and real people congregate. Get out and make the scene...

Oh, sorry... Wrong decade, wrong forum. But, the basic principle still applies.
 tgif333
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/30/2015 7:10:14 PM
by smoking cigs you cut your odds down as only 15% of all adult women smoke.
by smoking dope illegally in Florida you cut your chances down even further as most women who would be interested in you also illegally smoke dope.
I don't know what all that comes down to but if it's 10% of the whole female population 18 to 99 well then i'd say you have your work cut out for you. my own opinion is about 5%.

good luck to you galactic explorer. (watch out for tribbles!)
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/30/2015 7:28:55 PM
This dude looks like Ron Perlman from Sons of Anarchy and Beauty and the Beast.
 GalacticExplorer
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/30/2015 7:39:48 PM
Wow,
So many Negative Comments from all the Beautiful People. NOT....

Yep, I am 54. You see I Don't Lie, Period. I Don't Need to Ladies.
But since most of you date Players, liars, cheaters you wouldn't know a decent guy if he bit you in the ass.

Being told I look older then 54 is a surprise though as I have Always been told I look younger then my age.

Ya, I smoke and have since I was 16. Not proud of it But trying to quit and just haven't succeeded yet.
I also like to smoke a J once in a while but haven't in a Long time but that's my business and not yours.
I love people who Criticize people who are 420 friendly. Usually there doing it with a beer, drink or glass of wine in their hand. Hypocrites.

Again there's my Honesty on display for everybody to see. Tell me Ladies how many dates you been on And Then found out your date smoked or drank like a fish. I'm willing to bet at least a Few.

People who don't have the Balls or Guts to post there own pictures have Zero room to talk about other people Pictures, Motowncowgirl. With a handle like that I can Understand Why you don't post a picture.

The Best critique I've seen so far is the people who have said I don't have much in my profile in terms of description. I agree with you. That's because in the beginning I did and then Realized the woman on this site don't give a crap what's actually in your profile, they only care about your Pictures and if you look like Mr. GQ or not.

Problem is In Reality there Probably only about a "6" themselves, If that. But they get Sooo many emails from guys they can afford to be that super picky. That's got a down side too Ladies that you Don't Realize. Ever Wonder Why you get Lied to so much, Played around on so much, and Left right after you decide to give it up. Maybe it's because Mr. GQ can get away with it so he does. Open Your Eyes.

Finally this was my 1st post on this forum. Probably my Last too. The replies have been so informative and shown me the Actual Quality of the people on this site. It sure has Opened My Eyes. .....
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/30/2015 7:48:47 PM
I asked you a legitimate question, and got no answer.

Instead, you go on a rant, bashing others, in what is yet another "I hate women because they don't all behold the glory that is me" thread.

I have no photos, because I am not currently wanting to date, if you must know. My profile is hidden. The other people who have no photos may have different reasons for not having them, but they aren't the ones bemoaning their lack of success here because of photos.

Then people tell you that your profile lacks substance, and you agree with them, and then use that point as a springboard to once again, knock women.

If this is how you conduct yourself, then it probably isn't your photos but your attitude that is giving you problems.

I ask once again, why aren't you going out with your date from last week?
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/30/2015 8:06:34 PM
Sigh...Another "nice guy" rant...all women this....all women that....
They only date players and I'm the nice guy they're passing up.....just another whiner who has no respect for women.
Put your big boy pants on and grow up.!!

Quality women that have their own, date gentlemen and nice guys....we're far too smart for the ole bitterbros and any supposed players....good grief! I don't choose my dates by looks alone...and not any of my friends do...commonalities is a big thing.
Dates? I have no problems getting a date but I am not on here asking "why" I can't....you are!!
 newoldgirl
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/30/2015 8:07:38 PM

Being told I look older then 54 is a surprise though

I think you look around 54, but few men look YOUNGER with grayish stubble. You might want a pic of you clean shaven.

as I have Always been told I look younger then my age.

That is a common compliment that people say and usually don't mean. Along the lines of " You look great! Have you lost weight?" Although, to be fair, you may look younger in person because the light in your pics isn't great.

You don't have enough about yourself in the profile for a woman to get a sense of who you are. Add something.

NEVER underestimate how much being a smoker hurts your chances. Seriously, you are all but limited to dating only other smokers.

If 420-friendly isn't a deal breaker for you, leave it off your profile. People are pretty relaxed about it in my neck of the woods, but I have heard Floridians are a mite conservative.

Problem is In Reality there Probably only about a "6" themselves, If that. But they get Sooo many emails from guys they can afford to be that super picky. That's got a down side too Ladies that you Don't Realize. Ever Wonder Why you get Lied to so much, Played around on so much, and Left right after you decide to give it up. Maybe it's because Mr. GQ can get away with it so he does. Open Your Eyes.

Oh, dear. A "nice guy" rant. Do a thread search. This has been done to death.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2015 8:23:58 PM
Just another rant from a guy who has too high expectation from a site like this. That you have had meets at all within the short time you have been here is a lot more than most guys get.

I wonder what criteria you use when you contact women? I am guessing it is not the fat plain ones, right? Like men, women judge on appearances and that is normal. Get over it. Pictures are all important initially and they should be, along with height weight etc on the stats.

You have a nice head of hair and look quite attractive but squinting into the sun and frankly looking very tired, is not very appealing. Get a friend to take some full length shots and of you smiling and having fun and without the sunglasses. How difficult is that?

It is a free site with no vetting and a huge floating membership. Men make the mistake of thinking that they have huge choices and it is like a smorgasbord on here...Soon find out it is not. A lot of profiles are fakes or flakes and women with it all going on have their choices in real life and don't have to take chances with meeting up with guys who may or may not be as they appear on their profiles.

If you don't take on board the sound advice that women in particular are giving you, don't expect to find the magical Miss Right anytime soon. Some of it is hard hitting so if you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
 GalacticExplorer
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/30/2015 9:02:04 PM

I asked you a legitimate question, and got no answer.

Instead, you go on a rant, bashing others, in what is yet another "I hate women because they don't all behold the glory that is me" thread.

Well, I'm not really bashing woman per say But since I don't date Guys I really have no experience in dealing with them and can only make comments about the sex I do date. Most of which is pretty accurate by the way.
Just ask Any Other guy.

Yep, I'm a Nice guy, at least I try to be Most of the time. I will even open doors for you too.
Would you Rather I lied, cheated, and snuck around on you. Seems like men cant win with woman sometimes.
They say they want a Nice guy but don't want anything to do with them and then when they go out with users and abusers they complain about that too. You really should make up your mind what the hell you want.

When you can Explain to me WHY it is any of Your Business what happened on MY Date then I will tell you.
No, In Fact I will tell you BUT you wont believe me.

First, She looked Nothing like her picture But I let it slide. She had her hands on me, touching me, rubbing me within about the first 10 minutes of the date.

First words out of her mouth when we met was I was better looking in person then in my pictures which I already knew. We then spent about 3-4 hours having a few drinks talking, getting to know each other and watching her sing Karaoke which she was actually pretty good at.

We then went out to breakfast and enjoyed a good meal Which SHE actually offered to pay for. That Surprised the hell out of me but since I bought the drinks I let her pay for breakfast. All in All I think we both had a good time But there just wasn't any real Chemistry there. I drove her back to her car, kissed her goodnight and got home about 3:00AM.

Are YOU Happy Now. I'm Sure you wont Believe me. I really don't care.....
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/30/2015 9:12:00 PM
Firstly, if you don't want people to know your business, or question you about it, don't post it on a public forum.

Secondly, the reason I was asking, is because if you hit it off with this person, and she liked the way you look, then I was wondering why there wasn't another date. It seemed to me, that you had actually found someone who liked the way you looked, and didn't understand why you were here complaining about nobody liking what your photos looked like.

But alas. there wasn't any chemistry. So it seems to be okay for you to be able to decide that you do not want to be with someone, but it's not okay for someone to make that same decision about you.

You are just here to rant. You have no desire to actually have a conversation with anyone. You have been here for a very short time. But apparently, although you have a right to be very selective, the women should be like china dolls in a window, waiting for you to select the right one for your mantle.

Previously, I was speculating about your attitude being the problem. Now, I'm quite certain.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Frustrated by Experience on POF and ready to throw in the Towel