Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > which is the healthier sugar alternative.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bigal80ak2
Msg: 1
which is the healthier sugar alternative.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I like to eat my baked goods but I try to make them healthier. Use fruit purees or avocado instead of butter sometimes ricotta or cottage or sour cream works great. Use whole grains.
With sugar is it better to use half the amount of sugar?
Use pure stevia extract which I just tried for the first time? as it is lower in calories and still comes from a plant.
or I was thinking of mixing stevia and sugar in a 1:1 and using that as a mix of both ideas less sugar and a substitute.
Also is sucanat really any better then normal sugar? would like to try date or coconut just much to expensive.
Thanks for any input on this.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 2
which is the healthier sugar alternative.
Posted: 5/3/2015 7:23:22 AM
1st of all, there is nothing healthy about baked goods. so one point of view is that if you're eating baked goods, you might as well use the sugar to sweeten them, enjoy. refined carbs and sugar metabolize down into something that, to your body, one looks exactly like the other.

if you think you're going to make any kind of a real difference by tweaking the recipe of something that is 95% carbohydrates anyway, you might want to try truvia which is a stevia derivative combined with a sugar alcohol, neither one will spike your blood chemistry and you'll be saving about 16 entire calories per teaspoon. truvia also doesn't have a nasty chemically after-taste and, apparently, none of the evil that comes with artificial sweeteners like aspartame the white devil. I only use truvia in my coffee, though.

every single time I have tasted baked goods where people tried to make them 'healthier', it was a fail. just IMO.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2015 8:07:56 AM
All I can tell you from experience and experiments, is that the actual cooking is tricky and unpredictable. I can't stand the taste of aspartame or saccharine, so I don't even bother trying them in cooking.

I like sucralose, but I found out the hard way, that no matter what they say, is is NOT sugar, from a cooking standpoint. It might or might not work for baking, but I can tell you for sure not to bother trying to make fudge with it.

I tried Stevia, but didn't find it compelling enough to put up with the rather high price I have to pay for it around here.

As for what's "healthier," I am skeptical of pretty much everything I've read so far about any of the sweeteners, including sugar itself. There are way top many "experts" who are so caught up in the social politics of it all, and so many scientists who have come to opposite conclusions about them all, that I can't find any reliable source to decide.

All I know, is that I was having two problems with my Sugar intake (migraines and tooth decay) , and that's why I turned to alternatives for some situations. But for most cooking, I still use cane sugar. I don't cook THAT much, so the amount I eat isn't significant, and the amount of extra work involved with making the substitutes work right, isn't worth it to me.
 junipermoon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2015 1:11:16 PM
mashed bananas, applesauce and honey. you won't do traditional baking, though, and the taste takes some getting used to. but you can eventually trick your palate into thinking you ate something rich.
 ozarkguy
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2015 2:11:47 PM
@Igor

Sucralose (Splenda) was discovered accidentally while trying to invent a new insecticide. It works great as ant poison. You can Google it for more info.

I avoid Splenda and Aspartame.
Posted: 5/3/2015 3:27:35 PM
Mo you have to try my brownie /protein dark cocoa nut bars.

I will use a "tad" of sugar in the form of a few melted marshmallows to make them "have stick" along with the stevia.
Almond and/or coconut flour, coconut oil. SO good. LOADS of nuts and cocoa.

Once a week on real sugar for me.I get a sugar hangover.
I dont eat any grains but on that day I might( depending) Its one flipping day ya know.
If I just buy a little Im ok..esp oatmeal or ginger snap cookies.

Splenda causes all sorts of issues, even depression in some individuals.
Stevia ( the pure extract) is what I use along with non gluten flours like almond and coconut.
I also use coconut oil for baking and making protein nut bars.

I have to limit my sweet treats to one day a week if I have any real sugar, but I will not do the grain/flour except once in a while.
Pies or cobblers are easier to make than cakes/brownies with the stevia imo..I also am a taste as I go baker.

You can put a sliced apple, stevia cinnamon and coconut oil in the oven/microwave and make a good treat too.
Top w pecans.

Cobblers are fun and you dont need crust, just a nut flour / nuts on top.
Cook the fruit ( cherries/peaches/whatever) with stevia & cinnamon and a bit of coconut oil, pour in a ramkin or deep plate and top with almond flour, a bit of dark cocoa, stevia, cinnamon & walnuts then Bake...REALLY GOOD.

You have to experiment for your tastes which flours you like.

Once in a while I'll use a gluten free mix and suck up the sugar with brownies or a cake.
To thicken anything you bake from scratch like a cobbler use apple pectin.

Check out B0bs Red M1ll flours
N0w makes a great pure stevia you can get by the pound too.
The flour is as bad as the sugar ( if not worse because the spike stays up longer), esp whole wheat/ grains.

Test your blood sugar after eating a piece of candy w sugar a couple of times then after a slice of whole wheat bread.

I love sweets myself so have some fun with it.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/3/2015 9:50:36 PM

Well, the generic brand is usually cheaper than C & H, so that is healthier for your pocketbook/wallet.

Also is sucanat really any better then normal sugar?

There is nothing "better" than the real thing.
 Robert_77_
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/4/2015 1:03:28 AM
Baked goods should be a once a week treat, so I'd just stick with sugar. I don't personally eat baked goods anymore, and only sweeten my coffee, cereal, tea and oatmeal. If you're doing what I'm doing, Stevia is the healthiest option. You can't really beat something that comes from a leaf and has no calories in it.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/4/2015 6:43:00 AM

You can't really beat something that comes from a leaf and has no calories in it.

Too true!

Cocaine comes from the leaves of the coca plant~

Just sayin'<

haha
 Robert_77_
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/4/2015 7:45:54 AM
I see someone enjoyed the 80's. ;)
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/4/2015 8:58:35 AM
^^^
haha I admit I tried it ONCE<

Really did not find it at all appealing. Just made me twitchy and anxious~

Carry on.
 satx78218
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2015 11:19:25 AM
The best alternative to sugar (in all its industrial forms) is to train yourself away from high-carb, high-glycemic, sweetened food-like substances. iow, end the cravings. This includes all the common grains, highly refined or whole, since whole grain is still almost total carbohydrate.

This is really tough for most people since the low-fat scam from the confused, misleading medical industry led BigFood to dump sugar into nearly everything for about the last 35-40 years to replace the fat calories.

That 35-40 year period is EXACTLY the period when the average American became overweight and/or obese.
 satx78218
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2015 11:33:00 AM
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) reports that the average American consumes anywhere between 150 to 170 pounds of refined sugars in one year!

You may be thinking, “I do not consume that much.” Well, it is also said that:

For every American who eats only 5 pounds of sugar each year, there is one who eats about 295 pounds per year.
That is A LOT of sugar – especially when you compare it to how much we used to consume in the past.

Less than 100 years ago, the average intake of sugar was only about 4 pounds per person per year.

Not 150, 170, or 295 pounds!

http://bamboocorefitness.com/not-so-sweet-the-average-american-consumes-150-170-pounds-of-sugar-each-year/
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/4/2015 3:28:35 PM

Sucralose (Splenda) was discovered accidentally while trying to invent a new insecticide. It works great as ant poison. You can Google it for more info

Ozarkguy---I have a renovated garden space in my back yard...(renovated last July, this Spring all new things...) Made the rounds today and saw that an 'ant farm' had made itself at home, in and on ,one of my planting beds---very sandy soil. I filled my tea kettle with water and cranked up the fire. When it was at the boil, at the whistle, I grabbed my hot pad and took the full kettle out into the garden and poured the boiling water into the ant hills and dales.

This has worked previously to get rid of 'lawn/garden ants'< As well as for unwanted 'sprouts' of certain trees/shrubs.

I'm wondering if I add Splenda or Aspartame to the mix if it would be more effective? Or does the high temperature of boiling cancel the 'Splenda ant poison effect'?
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/4/2015 3:39:23 PM
Where did 'Ozarkguy' go?

Has the Splenda infected my brain?

Anyone else have' ant hill in the wrong place' remedies?
 satx78218
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2015 4:41:12 AM
I've used boiling water on carpenter ants eating one of my fence posts, and on a big ant mound. Worked both times, non polluting.

My next experiment is to use 5% pickling vinegar on weeds.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/5/2015 6:33:13 AM

My next experiment is to use 5% pickling vinegar on weeds.

^^Oh, way up there~ there's 'ozarkguy'^^ haha---When I boiled the ants, I must have gotten a blast of formic acid in my eyes! Heavens to Betsy I was blinded<

Vinegar and water in a spray bottle works for windows as well as weeds!

No excuses for dirty windows OR weeds now< ;-)

I wonder if it works for getting dried kitty puke off of hardwood floors?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/5/2015 12:42:48 PM

led BigFood to dump sugar into nearly everything for about the last 35-40 years to replace the fat calories.

That 35-40 year period is EXACTLY the period when the average American became overweight and/or obese.

Tell me about it.

It was around 24 years ago that I ballooned up to a 34" waist from 32", and I've been stuck there ever since.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/19/2015 9:14:35 AM

The only healthier alternative to sugar, is less sugar.
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2015 9:21:00 AM
No sugar is good for you and the fake sugar splenda stevia etc is no good for you. I was looking at an Dr,OZ recipe using date sugar. It is natural dates are a fruit. Very good for you dates and this sugar taste like the real thing.
 Siennarh
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/19/2015 10:14:49 AM
Honey?? or less sugar
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/19/2015 11:04:11 AM
Now and then I like having fresh bran muffins for breakfast..like last weekend. They're just sweetened by the molasses and raisins.
(i add sunflower and pumpkin seeds for a bit more protein and texture, adds about 5 grams of protein/muffin by my calculations).
 Coma_White
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2015 11:08:45 PM
I use Xylitol when I make iced tea. I used green tea, blue lotus (nymphaea caerulea), xylitol and lemons.
I might experiment with other recipes, but I really like this one.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2015 3:33:13 AM
Pure stevia is actually healthy, but if you use a lot you wont appreciate the natural sweetness in fruit/other foods as much.

Watch the xylitol..Laxative effect in many.
I dont call diarrhea healthy.
 Coma_White
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2015 2:35:45 PM

Watch the xylitol..Laxative effect in many.
I dont call diarrhea healthy.

Never had that problem, but I'm sure it can happen to some people.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > which is the healthier sugar alternative.