Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > PC issues/ getting site to load      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tim110011
Msg: 1
view profile
History
PC issues/ getting site to loadPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Any help appreciated with this- I'm regularly getting problems accessing the POF site, I just get the "website not available" type browser erros. I can get to all other sites aok, except POF and POF Forums, and a few minutes later POF magically works perfectly again. I've tried a different browser & it is the same. I had assumed it was a site problem, but have noticed that this doesn't usually happen on the day's first log in, and that rebooting my PC suddenly cures it and the site is back up.

I also sometimes lose the site while connected & logged in & then can't get back on.

all ideas appreciated!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
PC issues/ getting site to load
Posted: 5/23/2015 2:44:05 PM
Sounds like typical malware problems.

Get two or more malware removal programs, and run them. That will probably take care of a lot of it.

But this site is also prone to going off line for software updates, and it will log you out every few seconds, or when you change screens.
 Tim110011
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2015 1:00:02 PM
Thanks,

I wondered about malware (though weird that malware would only affect access to one site), but I have run a full sweep with malwarebytes & nothing came up - also cleared all caches etc with a full running of TweakNow. Still the same though.

Oddly, when I can't connect via browsers I can still successfully ping pof from a command prompt. However, even if I put the pof IP addy into the browser address I still can't connect. Every other site works fine though. As does POF if I wait 10-15 minutes, or if I reboot the PC.

Very baffling. Any other ideas?

Cheers
 ItsNotAlwaysArt
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/24/2015 5:15:32 PM
Igor, that may be sound advice for someone with limited knowledge base, however, I'm experiencing problems as well.
I'd list my experiences proving what I'm claiming, but probably not needed?

I upgraded to a paid subscription thinking that POF is throttling the free users at peak times. Eastern, Central, West coast, Ebay, craigslist do it, figured POF did, or does.
Signing up for months, doing the obligatory cleaning and STILL problems.

I have zip malware, my pc runs spectacularly, and loads other sites instantaneously.
Not so here, and happens often enough to get frustrated. Too often.
To the point of sometimes replying to acquaintances and getting logged out when I click 'send'

so, unless the malware is site maintenance, server side problems, its not everyone's problem with the hangs, site not responding etc.

regards, CWG

edit: LOL, like RIGHT now, I log into the forums, take 90 seconds to type out that reply and BOOM, hangs logs me out.
Again, its the only site of a dozen or so I visit that does this, and google says its not a singularity problem.
 Im_Growing
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/24/2015 6:07:39 PM
As other describe, I get the same issue. Can log in all over the place, Yahoo, this forum, Google, my bank. etc. but the "actual" POF site where one browses members. is dishing out the "site took to long" type errors. Use diff browsers. Did a Malware byte scan. & an online scan at several other on line sites. A few adwares popped up, but they are now gone. Still no access. this has been occurring for several days now. Reboot, clean all the browsers have no effect.

A long shot maybe , I'm still running XP-SP3 BTW... Could it be a scripting in flash or Java compatibility w/XP ?
 ItsNotAlwaysArt
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/24/2015 6:54:19 PM
Thats easy, google update java, and update flash- chrome has a tab, top right, 3 bars, click
click 'about chrome'
and it will auto update as well.
 Im_Growing
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/24/2015 7:13:01 PM
Opps, neglected to mention.
I did the updates on Java & flash and one other item. Unsure if the updates actually nested or took.

Where do I look for the version being ran ?
 ItsNotAlwaysArt
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/24/2015 7:35:19 PM
even easier, google "what version java" and zing takes you right there

I just updated chrome fwiw. we'll see
 Tim110011
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2015 4:04:52 AM
Very interesting - especially this "dit: LOL, like RIGHT now, I log into the forums, take 90 seconds to type out that reply and BOOM, hangs logs me out.
Again, its the only site of a dozen or so I visit that does this, and google says its not a singularity problem." - both times I posted above that happened too. There's no other action I've found that triggers these disconnects. So maybe it's something connected.

Wonder if it'l happen again now when I post this? (Copying the post at the ready...)
 Tim110011
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2015 4:05:20 AM
worked fine. another theory gone...
 ItsNotAlwaysArt
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/25/2015 8:51:48 AM
Doesn't happen all the time, problem lies with POF itself, not our computers.
 Tim110011
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2015 10:33:38 AM
I'd broadly agree that, although it only seems to affect some of us's computers, otherwise there'd be loads of people on this thread.

What OS and browsers are you having is on? XP, Chrome and Opera 12.17 here
 Peas_
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/28/2015 10:54:14 AM
XP sp3, FF. Java is off, flash is off. It's not that. Not malware. Cache cleared, history, etc...

I too can ping.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Then is fine again after network refreshes.

Makes me wonder if cookies from other dating sites are a factor in ip network drops from regional routers.
 Tim110011
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2015 3:06:30 PM
Interesting theory. I had read somewhere ages back about some of the tricks that dating sites get up to to pull traffic away from their competitors, though I don't know enough about cookies to know if that's a viable possibility or how to test for it.

Alternatively, how about a firewall type issue? If I remember my networking correctly, Ping is not port specific whilst HTTP traffic is (80). So maybe something is throwing the firewall for that port? Though I'm using a pretty obscure firewall (Comodo) so that's fairly unlikely too.
 Peas_
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/29/2015 10:25:56 AM
hummm, ping uses no port. ICMP echo transport layer.

I have some outdated secure socket layers blocked in config FF.....hummmmm

Don't think it's a firewall issue.

Something proprietary is going on here maybe.
 Cycling99
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/30/2015 3:35:15 PM
Try running a portable version of Firefox. Change security to disable third party cookies, delete cookies after every session, and clear history after Firefox closes.

I also run several security addons: Adblock plus, betterprivacy, Blur, Flashblock, HTTPS-Everywhere, Imageblock, NoScript. These tend to help keep the crap off my browser, a bit.

Good luck!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2015 4:08:53 PM
Just to be clear, this site POF does CONSTANTLY make people log in again and again, as a matter of course.

You log in to read your mail, read it, and decide to pop over to the forums. Want to enter a response to a post? You'll have to log in again, even if it's been less than a minute, and you've been steadily clicking on things on the site the whole time. Then when you complete your short, clever and insightful post within a minute of entering your password to be allowed to type at all, and ....boom. You have to enter it AGAIN, then back step twice until you see your entry with the "cancel/post" choices at the bottom, and hit post a second time.

Decide to browse for new matches? You find you have to log in again, if you want to use your saved search parameters.

Then once in a while, for no apparent reason, you will go from one page to the next and NOT get logged out. No logic to it at all.

Just mentioning all that, so you know not to include it in your list of symptoms to try to solve. Because the above stuff is clearly here to stay.
 Peas_
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/30/2015 8:45:54 PM
^^^^Yes, that's exactly it. It is freakin maddening, I tell ya. But also including the sometimes of the pages not coming up at all.
 Tim110011
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 11:32:58 AM
Yep, sometimes they just won't come up - unless I retry for ages or just reboot the PC, when it connects perfectly ok again.

I tried tracert pof.com yesterday, comparing when the site was ok and when it was inaccessible. Worked the same both times- no problems. Dang. Another theory gone. I'm running out of ideas now.
 Peas_
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/2/2015 7:48:39 PM
^^^ Yeah, okay, so POF doesn't maintain the forums any longer and would really prefer they werent here prolly....so therefore the logging in and out is purposeful dropping. The forums basically maintain themselves with delete options on threads and crossover posting to non regional forums you are shot a "NO NO" email. Or if your ip comes up as another username with two accounts. yadda yadda yadda...

You don't have to restart, use the ipconfig in Command Prompt that I gave above. Don't try and refresh the page for a min after 'renew' command. Should load then. The network has to refresh. Either it's a FF prob, or is same proprietary theory of regional router IP dropping on purpose to clear the bandwidths due to lack of wanting to maintain a forum server.

as far as I can figure.
 Tim110011
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2015 10:46:22 AM
AOK, I'll try that next time it happens. Thanks

As for the rest of your post, it isn't just the forums I can't access, it's the main site too. Same for you?
 Peas_
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/3/2015 12:09:01 PM
Yep, happens when I have logged into both simultaneously.
 Tim110011
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2015 3:15:03 PM
Tried the ipconfig, flush worked but others errored "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected." despite the modem still being connected. Guess it was looking for a router & I use a adsl modem. oh well.
 Peas_
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/3/2015 6:13:11 PM
ahhhh, Manually Set DNS Servers for DSL.

Sometimes computers are unable to retrieve DNS server addresses correctly, or it is not passed out correctly from your DSL modem or router. ....Double click on "Network Connections"

Then don't use the /flushdns switch command.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2015 12:05:34 PM
currently working ok for me, I have disabled java on this new pc and am using opendns's dns servers instead of my isp.
might be worth getting a free account with them
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > PC issues/ getting site to load