Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Jicama recipes - got any good ones to share?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arwen52
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Jicama recipes - got any good ones to share?Page 1 of 1    
Howdy, all. I'm looking for ways to use jicama.

I've had them in Mexico, sliced and dipped in lime juice with chili powder on them. I've made them into a salad like that, chopping them in a food processor, along with carrots, and adding lime juice and chili.

It's occurred to me that one could use them as low-calorie, low-carb "chips" for hummus or dips.

Anyone have any good jicama recipes they would like to share?
 Moonchild51
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Jicama recipes - got any good ones to share?
Posted: 5/28/2015 9:10:41 AM
Is this the veggie that is white and used as a potato over there? I always get confused...lol
 CharminC
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/28/2015 12:19:25 PM
It's known as mexican yam
I've tried it as mashed potatoes. Bad idea! It's like glue.
It can be cubed and roasted though or sauted with onions . Haven't tried that yet.
Only in a salad.
My salads almost always have kale, nuts and hemp seeds and a hard broiled egg in it. Everything else like sliced jicama is extra. Skies the limit
I'd imagine coleslaw is the way to go because of its texture
 Dovelett
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2015 9:35:57 PM
Can slice thin with mandolin and use as the tortilla. It is on line how to make n use
Make French fries, salads, coslaw, salsa , crunchy julienne strips to dip
 arwen52
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:16:18 AM
I'm going to make edamame hummus and use sliced jicama for "chips."

Besides trying to keep the calories down, I'm also trying to keep my carbs down and increase vegetables and fiber in my diet, hence the interest in jicama.
 Dovelett
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2015 2:15:40 AM
Use a mandolin to cut jicama paper thin slices as the wrap like taco. wine cooked with diced tomato - gr. onion ñ few stems - diced serrano - salt cook wine about 4 minutes before adding shrimp ñ cook diced shrimp for about 1 to 2 minutes - fill jicama with shrimp wine filling mix using slotted spoon. Top with diced avocado - chop cilantro leaves or parsley - salt ñ drizzle with choice of yum yum sauce in a bottle or mayo ñ chipotle puréed or use a lime jalapeño sauce top

Make a great coleslaw made with jicama ñ jello mixed also
 SAguy_06
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2015 9:05:50 AM
Jicama Salad

peel and thinly slice 1" x 1" x 1/4" pieces of Jicama ~~ you can julianne or matchstick cut as well.

add to a bowl with likewise sliced green and red apple with the skin on

add small chunks of segmented lemon, lime, navel orange, and/or grapefruit to your liking.

add small sliced canned pineapple

add very thinly sliced raw serrano for heat and zing...or red pepper flake.

add some citrus juice to help flavors melve.

chill and serve as a appitizer or side or as a snack. great at BBqs.

hey dove...
 Dovelett
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2015 11:05:16 AM
Hey Saguy hi back to U . Great salad. Had it yesterday. Thanks
Made frenck fries out of jicama. Drizzled fresh lime and chili powder gear hart with touch of salt
 CharminC
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/25/2015 7:45:41 AM
1 large jicama, peeled
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp each chile powder, ground cumin, dried oregano and dried thyme
1 15-oz jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
2/3 cup blanched unsalted almonds
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp paprika
2 large cloves garlic
Pinch each sea salt and ground black pepper
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Secure jicama in a spiral slicer and turn the crank to create noodles. Using a sharp knife, cut jicama noodles into 2- to 3-inch pieces.
In a large bowl, toss jicama noodle pieces with 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, chile powder, cumin, oregano and thyme; toss to coat. Spread jicama pieces in an even layer on a large rimmed parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, turning halfway, until golden and crispy.
Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, place roasted bell peppers, almonds, remaining 3 tbsp oil, vinegar, paprika, garlic cloves, salt and black pepper; purée until smooth.
Transfer jicama fries to a serving platter. Sprinkle parsley over fries and serve with pepper sauce for dipping.
 arwen52
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2015 8:36:05 PM
Oh, those sound good!

I also made some marinated vegetables and put some sliced jicama in it.

I made a jicama and carrot salad with both chopped fine, almost like cole slaw, with a dressing made of ginger, lime, and black sesame oil. That was really good!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Jicama recipes - got any good ones to share?