Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Being stood up still irks      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sealady111
Msg: 1
Being stood up still irksPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Despite being fully prepared, choosing a place where if the other person does not show up you can continue with your day, it still irks.
Last communication was confirming all details and saying he was looking forward to meeting me.

Out of 2 first meets this weekend

1. No show
2. Cancelled with a couple of hours notice.

It still irks.
 J3LV3HL_WV3JP
Msg: 2
Being stood up still irks
Posted: 6/13/2015 6:18:36 PM
I don't understand why people do that. Just be upfront and honest about meeting. I mean, if you haven't even met yet it's not like you're being chicken about hurting someone. There's no connection. Just be open, and be respectful of other people's time.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/13/2015 6:24:39 PM
It is a mystery to me why people join a dating site, and refuse to meet in person. Count your blessings, you might've just dodged a bullet.
 CharminC
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/13/2015 7:52:03 PM
You got stood up??!! GTFO??!!!! *jaw drops*
I am SOOO sorry !!! pffht.... disrespectful lame butted good for nothing bleep bleep bleep.
Look honey, put it this way, you've dodged a bullet! And, they are SO missing out on a great time with a great lady.

If you're still all dressed up, find something else to do. Call up a friend and hit the town or something.
You don't need the bleep bleep bleeps to ruin your day or night with irks-somes feelings
I equally hate being irked. Disappointment hits me hard.
Growing up I would cry. Now, I get even lol.
When my day or night goes bad, I turn it around by doing EXACTLY whatever I want to do. It's the PERFECT excuse to be selfish. ;)

Chin up Sealady and keep on keeping on!
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2015 8:04:08 PM
sealady111

I guess it is a numbers game and there are going to be some who dip out. I am sure there were many who did actually turn up, over time. Do you Skype, speak on the phone to these guys? Make sure they are real? One guy may have turned up and decided not to go ahead. Who knows? You are honest in your profile and that is all you can do. Sometimes people get cold feet, are not who they say they are, and you are missing out on nothing. You are wise that you only arranged for day time meets and can get on with something else. If you think about the percentages of cancellations or no shows, what would it be?
 purplerider1200
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2015 8:27:17 PM
Been there, done that.
Sure, it's irritating. But all you can do is go on about your merry way. I've had several stand me up at their doorstep, when I went to pick them up. Oh, so sorry, I decided to not go out with you, good bye. I even had one stand me up AFTER I bought $80 bucks worth of concert tickets.

I got even with that one. I called her house several hours later, she wasn't home. I went over and nailed her storm doors shut. No, it wasn't right to do that, but I felt SO MUCH better after I did it-Hee Hee Hee!
 sealady111
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/13/2015 9:05:16 PM
The one who did not show at all sent me a message, on here, a few hours later. Now blocked.
Internet blocked, not nailed up windows blocked... lol

The other, at least he gave me some advance notice, apologised and said what had happened that was unforeseen and he was unable to get out of it.

My dogs and I have just enjoyed a 7km walk through the bush on this stunningly warm winters day.
Worked up quite a sweat.
Now for some gardening or a glass of wine.
Or both :)

Yes it has happened to me before and will probably happen again to all of us.
Lucky I had not agreed to the initial suggestions of meeting at night.

It was bad enough eating brunch solo in a cozy cafe at a romantic table beside the fire reading the newspaper from cover to cover while the staff knew I had given up waiting for the other person of my table for two.

It still irks.
Especially two in a row and my first after a dating break because I was becoming jaded.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/13/2015 9:40:23 PM
Sorry that happened, Diana. You deserve better treatment. Rude jerks. Shake it off.

I have never been stood up in my life, except for Jack, who went to the wrong restaurant last summer. We simultaneously ate lunch at different Thai restaurants, thinking we were stood up. We laughed about it afterwards.

We couldn't reschedule our date. As WA State firefighting supervisor, Jack was suddenly needed at the huge Carlton Complex Fire north of Wenatchee. Flying in a plane, Jack directed bombers dumping red fire retardant on the massive wildfire. Amazing skill.

Coma_White
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2015 10:03:22 PM
All I can say is: daaamn internet dating... u scary!

I got stood up once at a coffee shop. I stood outside waiting for this person and some kid on a bike came up and talked to me about his dirt bike. He was probably more intelligent than the person I was supposed to meet. Don't worry about people that flake out? The honest answer is that most of them are stupid. They flake out on their own lives, not just on dates with you.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/13/2015 10:06:08 PM

We couldn't reschedule our date. As WA State firefighting supervisor, Jack was suddenly needed at the huge Carlton Complex Fire north of Wenatchee. Flying in a plane, Jack directed bombers dumping red fire retardant on the massive wildfire. Amazing skill.

Why would You even Post this? That's enough information for someone to identify whom you're talking about.... Did You ask Jack's permission, before sharing his personal life on the Web?

I've Said it Before...... You lack certain Boundaries.....
 cooldog65
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2015 5:33:10 AM
OP...Blame the internet.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2015 5:41:26 AM
The one that cancelled ahead of time did not suggest another meet I take it?? He may well be in a partnership of some kind or have heavy family commitments or just decided to see someone else. Forget it..... next....

. The guy that rang you hours later, what was with that? How hard is it to text beforehand if you are not intending to show?? I think we know why those guys are available and/or haunting dating sites......next....

Purplerider

That a woman would arrange for you to pick her up at home and take her somewhere, a stranger from the net, is loopy in my view anyway. Even if she had met you once before.

I am sure you learned not to buy concert tickets for someone you had not met previously and wont do that again.

Ah but revenge is sweet!!
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/14/2015 5:50:28 AM
Behind-blue-eyes:
Why would You even Post this? That's enough information for someone to identify whom you're talking about.... Did You ask Jack's permission, before sharing his personal life on the Web?

Oh for heaven's sake. Stop criticizing me for writing descriptively. I did not include his last name, job title or hometown. Thousands of firefighters worked on the massive Carlton Complex Wildfire from all over the United States.

You can create a picture with paint, charcoal or crayons. Descriptive writing describes a person, place or thing in such a way that a picture is formed in the reader's mind.

For example, I said the fire retardant is RED. This forms a picture of a red wash of fire retardant dropping from the sky, from bombers swooping low over a massive wildfire in the mountains.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2015 5:51:56 AM
If I were dating from online I would expect that a guy may not show, or is not who he says he is and
I would be prepared. Just meet for a drink in a place where I can easily get up and go and do something else with my day. Take a laptop or a shopping bag so it does not look obvious if I have been left in the lurch. Always text beforehand and reconfirm the meet.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/14/2015 10:17:53 AM

1. No show

It still irks.

I hear ya.

I don't think the Guinness people will count no shows toward the record.

Despite being fully prepared, choosing a place where if the other person does not show up you can continue with your day, it still irks.
Last communication was confirming all details and saying he was looking forward to meeting me.

And I bet they even had pictures on their profiles.

I have never been stood up in my life, except for Jack, who went to the wrong restaurant last summer

Does "Jack" count as ANOTHER John?

For example, I said the fire retardant is RED. This forms a picture of a red wash of fire retardant dropping from the sky, from bombers swooping low over a massive wildfire in the mountains.

Which is definitely an important fact to know about some stranger who ate a meal at a Thai restaurant last year.
You forgot to mention the name of the Thai restaurant he ate at so we could get the full mental picture.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2015 11:21:34 AM

1. No show

The No Show -- I would text them the next day or late late at night and say "I had a great time. Your place is amazing, too. I usually never go that far on a first date, but hey, you're charming, so I can't get upset about that. A girl's got to be on the wild side once in a while." -- He'll be confused, then regretful thinking "Shoot! That could have been Me!"

On the last-minute Cancel -- those can be legit, but 90% of the time they're not. You shouldn't get upset IF they're legit. You know if they're legit if you keep talking and re-schedule by their own volition. If they don't, honestly -- call him out on it. "Busy" is not an option anymore. It's not the 90s.

My advice: Read their interest. If you exchange chit-chats and they bring up meeting real quick and you never talked much, roll with it and everything -- but also expect it very well not panning out. Or if you feel they're reading from a cue card in your exchanges and to meet up -- don't hold your breath.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/14/2015 11:26:15 AM
^ Darling! Who the hell cares? You're back!
 south_city
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/14/2015 12:15:52 PM
I have been stood up only once. The date was at a sports bar. Thus I was able to make the most of it. Watch part of a game. Have a couple drinks. Then I left. Last minute cancellations have happened multiple times to me. If the person is willing to reschedule, I will give them the benefit of the doubt the first time. But if they cancel 2 times in a row, then I will move on.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/14/2015 2:04:41 PM

Oh for heaven's sake. Stop criticizing me for writing descriptively. I did not include his last name, job title or hometown. Thousands of firefighters worked on the massive Carlton Complex Wildfire from all over the United States.

You reduced whom this Person was down to a handful of People, by the information You posted..... Which, once the search engine web crawlers pass through here, will become searchable by the Key Words You've provided....
By Your fable........ Jack.....
Was in Your Area sometime around 14th of July, 2014.....
Works for the WA State Agency in charge of Fire Fighting Wildfires..... My SWAG is, WA -DNR or a Subset of it.....
He is in a Supervisory Position there......
He was a Pilot or Spotter who worked the Carlton Complex Fire.......
3,000 People may have worked that Fire, but most of them don't fit your description of Jack......
 purplerider1200
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2015 2:42:23 PM
I agree. We are already aware of whom you'll go out with. You needn't be so descriptive about his position. What I know about Homeland security can be put in a thimble, but I do know it reaches out farther than you know of. Granted, it probably isn't anything to worry about. Still- one never knows for sure.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/14/2015 2:50:00 PM

From her description of Jack, even if I were to whittle the Jack list down to a couple of dozen of Jacks, I still wouldn't discover the Jack to whom she referred, in her post. Jack whom, by the way? I don't give a shit.

I think you're over-reacting -- for nothing, of course, other than to marginalize a woman for recounting and sharing her experience.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/14/2015 2:52:31 PM

. Oh, so sorry, I decided to not go out with you, good bye. I even had one stand me up AFTER I bought $80 bucks worth of concert tickets.

What a tremendous waste of a kind gift, indeed. I don't know how well you knew her -- but that's a generous gift to give somebody whom you barely know, perhaps never met? Please take care, before you pre-pay for any gift, until you know her well enough that she is trustworthy and considerate of your resources and time.
 overunity
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2015 2:57:49 PM
"From her description of Jack, even if I were to whittle the Jack list down to a couple of dozen of Jacks, I still wouldn't discover the Jack to whom she referred, in her post. Jack whom, by the way? I don't give a shit."

From the sounds of things nobody here seems to know Jack....................
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/14/2015 3:29:18 PM
But I'll bet Jack be nimble ;)
 sealady111
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/14/2015 3:51:23 PM
Here in Oz the planes and helicopters drop water on bush fires fires.
Not red stuff.

Thank you to ALL the firefighters, professional and voluntary.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Being stood up still irks