Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Just found about this forum. Please critique my profile.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Conception616
Msg: 1
Just found about this forum. Please critique my profile. Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hello, I would like some advice on what I should add or remove to make my profile stand out more, or at least be more "aesthetically pleasing." I'm new to this type of app/site, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 tennistown
Msg: 2
Just found about this forum. Please critique my profile.
Posted: 6/15/2015 9:41:39 PM

Hello, I would like some advice on what I should add or remove to make my profile stand out more

Oh, it stands out plenty right now!
Unfortunately, it's like the guy that farts in Church.

You should change your "Headline" and the first paragraph of your "About Me".

Conception616: I want to stand you for more than one night

About Matt
Divorced father, hoping to find someone with more in common. Opposites might attract for a while, but once the fire burns out, you aren't left with much.

Not very uplifting, is it?

Try to put a positive spin, with your writings.
Chicks dig that.

Remove any and all words or phrases
that could be construed as being negative.
 Conception616
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/15/2015 9:53:44 PM
Agreed, I changed that first paragraph. I thought my headline was witty, lol. I'll think of what I can change that to. Thanks!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/15/2015 10:04:56 PM
Conception616...welcome to the Profile Reviews forum.
My initial suggestion is to change your headline to something more positive and upbeat.

You are now hoping she will not think about a one-night-stand while reading.
Unless that is truly what you seek...in which case...simply carry on without any change needed.

Good luck with your ongoing romantic search.
 Conception616
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/15/2015 10:13:48 PM
Changed the headline to better represent who I am as a person, which led to a new description opening. I've inserted my quirky nuances, and eliminated anything negative, :)
 Forums_only
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/15/2015 10:22:07 PM
A couple of quickies -

Your smiling photos are great - do get a closeup clear head/shoulders shot as your main. Keep the one you have now in your gallery.

Replace the generic Interests with specific one or two-word examples of each.

Do mention your kid(s) - a viewer will want to know how many/how old/how often. No more than that.

Otherwise - a good effort!

Edit - hey - you snuck in a smiling head shot when I wasn't looking. !
 Conception616
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/15/2015 10:29:19 PM
By "generic interests" are you referring to the actual "Interests" section? As in, I would change "sports" to "New York Knicks"?

Sorry for being sneaky, lol. I had a friend take that photo last Thursday, and I needed a recent close up shot, so I had to crop someone out to make it acceptable.
 Forums_only
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/15/2015 10:34:46 PM
Yes, exactly - the usual generic suspects: Music, Movies, Travel, Sports, Reading. Avoid these.

If you play a particular sport (ie: tennis, golf, rugby, darts) then yeah, note that. Alternately, a favourite team will hopefully trigger someone who also follows that team to put that info in memory lock and you will automatically have something specific in common to talk about.
 Conception616
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/15/2015 11:01:07 PM
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I'm confident my profile is now 1000% better. I'll still accept constructive feedback, anything can be improved upon!
 Ouija2025
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/16/2015 5:48:27 AM
Hi Matt - good profile, my review for a $1.00...
Photos .. not keen on kids being featured, pixel faced or not. Does your student know you have her picture up on an adult ( must be 18) dating site?
It would be nice to give her an idea of what it is like to date you - besides watching dirty dancing and SBTB on netflix :) Bring some heat to it.
First date is actually first meet.. to see if there is a connection so you can move to a first date. Select something easy - goin get costly buying dinners for strangers.
I really like the opening.
Ditch the cheekbone bit
Take care :/
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/16/2015 7:27:23 AM
Your user name will be a turn off for some women, but if you like it, that's all that counts.

And speaking of turning off, turn off that POF restriction you have blocking women from contacting you if they live over 75 miles away. The way POF judges mileage is all screwed up and it blocks people who are way within that 75 miles judging by the many comments left around this forum. Take your chances that woman 10 miles away can't send you a message because POF decides she's 100 miles out. You're letting a screwed up restriction blocker on POF decide for you who is geographically undesirable. Surely you can figure out that for yourself and screen them as they come in.

Generally speaking I think you did a good job on your profile! Good luck to you. And with that 75 mile blocker you'll need it!
 Conception616
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/16/2015 7:38:29 AM
Good advice on the mileage restriction. Women who have forgotten to manually change their location, or are planning on moving into the area, wouldn't be able to contact me.

Conception was my stage name for 15 years ("retired" rapper, I still perform sporadically). It's based upon the definition of understanding as opposed to fertilization. I can look into changing that part.

I have also cropped out my students entirely (with the exception of a finger, lol).
 Conception616
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/16/2015 7:42:02 AM
Hmmmm, it's saying I need to upgrade to change my username. I guess that will be staying the same.
 Conception616
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/19/2015 11:42:37 PM
I wanted to again thank all of you for helping me better format my profile. I don't think it's any coincidence that in the few days I've repaired its appearance, I've gotten more attention, and today I met someone who I think could turn out to be very nice. This forum is very useful if you go into it with the right mindset.
 Conception616
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/28/2015 1:25:06 PM
Welp, it didn't work out, lol. I've decided to take the advice of a user in this thread, and delete this profile and start over with a new username, so there aren't any "misconceptions" lol.

To better represent who I am, how does "InstructionalProducer" sound?
 tennistown
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/28/2015 2:02:02 PM

To better represent who I am, how does "InstructionalProducer" sound?

"InstructionalProducer", sounds better than "SupercalifragilisticexpialidociousGuy."

But, that said. How about something shorter, easier to spell and remember!
 Conception616
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/28/2015 3:43:44 PM
If a woman finds either "instructional" or "producer" difficult to spell, I certainly wouldn't be interested in her anyway.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/28/2015 3:53:57 PM
"InstructionalProducer" sounds kind of

"SupercalifragilisticexpialidociousGuy."

I would so date him.
 Conception616
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/28/2015 3:57:37 PM
Would you mind elaborating? I find that an ironic observation, considering your username.
 Peas_
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/28/2015 4:01:25 PM
I smell something fishy.

You have already made the exact same thread on June 15th.

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16408297.aspx

eta:

Did I link this very thread? I fooken think not. Derp.

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16408297.aspx#16408297
 tennistown
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/28/2015 4:06:21 PM

....how does "InstructionalProducer" sound?

Sounds to me, like a lateral move from what you got now.
 Conception616
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/28/2015 4:09:19 PM
Peas........do you realize you linked THIS thread?

This is the only thread I've created on here. I can help you with this internet thing if you need it, ;)
 Conception616
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/28/2015 4:12:13 PM
tennistown, at least it would laterally take away any notion that my username is any way about childbirth, lol.....
 Peas_
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/28/2015 4:15:44 PM
Nope. Check above.
 LegendofPOF
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/28/2015 4:17:59 PM

Hello, I would like some advice on what I should add or remove to make my profile stand out more, or at least be more "aesthetically pleasing." I'm new to this type of app/site, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Your profile is fine.

Pictures are fine.

Put your body type as athletic. There are a lot of guys with "average" who also use athletic even though they aren't roided out of their minds like others. Most women look for athletic guys first. (If you don't believe me like I've told others. Log out of POF. Search as a female seeking a male within ten years up and down from your age. White. Gallery. Pictures only. You'll see dudes who are jacked and ripped but a lot who are just like your body type as most of them know women are looking for athletic men overall and anything else isn't good. Why? Because many of them lie about their own type a being average etc. Many will list themselves as 5'2 to the point you almost think they're ALL 5'2. A lot want to seem "petite" and not scare off guys who think they might be too "tall".

And for your height. Put yourself 2 inches taller. 5'10. What I've found from talking to MANY women on the main site is most guys show up SHORTER some MUCH shorter than they state in their profiles. Which means these women automatically assume if you have 5'8 you are "really" 5'6 or shorter. I'm not joking.

Most women date also according to their highest pair of heels. So if they are 5'4 they figure 5'7 and see you as "5'8 = 5'6" he's "too short". It doesn't matter if you tell your true height on here as speaking to many of them and them telling me guys show up shorter they automatically assume the guy is adding two inches. Even if you say 5'10 they'll assume your correct height is 5'8. (Which it is)
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Just found about this forum. Please critique my profile.