Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > BEST THING POF CAN DO FOR US MEMBERS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 k9terry
Msg: 1
view profile
History
BEST THING POF CAN DO FOR US MEMBERSPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
PHOTO VERIFICATION. Another site does it and it saves people a ton of grief knowing the pictures of the person they are speaking with actually look like them. So many times photos on here are deceiving and less than honest.

People may actually PAY for that. What do you folks think?
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 2
BEST THING POF CAN DO FOR US MEMBERS
Posted: 6/24/2015 2:12:40 AM
The first thing is....please don't post in caps....it's shouting...you will get read, whatever.

Photo verification has been suggested umpteen times in the past.
This is the internet, friend, where anything can be faked (& often is).
I have seen faked, dated airline tickets, visas and id with false pictures,
amongst other junk...if folk are silly enough to pay for 'verification'....
I'll leave the rest unsaid..I'm sure you can fill in the gap.........

motowncowgirl
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/24/2015 2:30:24 AM
aha, I see another dating site has it. no, I wouldn't pay for it. I figure if I have to start shelling out cash to keep people from lying to me, i'll just go find something else to do. more power to ya though.
 k9terry
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2015 4:09:23 AM
This is interesting. The other site uses a photo verification system that is video real time to verify. I agree that the old "Fake ID" method to verify is pointless but lets be honest here. From my experience, 3 out of 5 profiles on here have less than honest pictures of what they look like today. Perhaps your time is not valuable enough to decrease the odds of you wasting it on less than honest appearance of a profile, but for someone who feels their time is valuable, I feel it is well worth it.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/24/2015 4:23:20 AM
then you should probably head on over to one of those other sites that has photo verification, because the chances of POF implementing that here anytime soon are rather small.... not saying impossible, but who knows since I don't think there are any staffers reading the forums. I could be wrong.

I do think you have a suggestion that a lot of people would be willing to pay for, as opposed to the usual 'I don't want to be bothered with the features of this website' complaints we get here.

Perhaps your time is not valuable enough to decrease the odds of you wasting it on less than honest appearance of a profile, but for someone who feels their time is valuable, I feel it is well worth it.

lol, why would my time be any less valuable than yours?

I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, just because makes my life less complicated. i'd rather not begin every social interaction with a stranger as if I already don't trust them, otherwise I can just stay home and find something else to do. I can walk away from anyone who is being dishonest about themselves just as easily, it's not a big D. i also know that most of the people i meet aren't going to be a match for me anyway, even if they aren't misrepresenting themselves.

so i can't be arsed to shell out $ for a frilly feature just to have other people prove I like their face. you go ahead and spend your money any way you want. and good luck with your photo verification tool, as if dishonest people aren't going to keep finding ways to lie to you.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/24/2015 5:43:29 AM
Well, why not put your best face forward and post a current main photo of yourself without the sunglasses? Sunglasses can appear a way to obfuscate, maybe hiding 420 eyes?

Anyway, it'd be nice to have some kind of video verification that can be included on the profile -- it's my POF pipe dream. Then, again -- people can photoshop those, too.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/24/2015 5:53:39 AM
In the vast overwhelming majority of my online dating experience...the woman has looked like her pics or even better!
 Peas_
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/27/2015 6:33:50 PM
yup.....how about sunglasses? I'll just assume men with sunglasses are married from now on. Can we verify that? lol
 k9terry
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2015 10:52:59 PM
No, I am not married lol

But to have someones marital status verified, I could see how that would be a benefit to both men and women on this site.

Here is the scoop with the sunglasses picture.

1. If there were no other pics to view without sunglasses, I could see your point.
2. Slight mystery is motivation for anyone to look closer.

Not on this thread for a profile review but I hope I answered your questions as to "Why".

I would comment on things I see in your profiles that I personally do not find appealing but I do not think this is the place for that.
 Peas_
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/27/2015 11:11:40 PM
js.....the man I cancelled a date with yesterday night....had only one picture up with sunglasses until I asked for another picture. Yesterday morning his wife messaged me in his account on POF, saying he was a liar. And he was a liar, he had said he wasn't married.

So I believe in my own opinion. Even if it may seem judgmental to you. It is not coming outta the blue.

This isn't my profile review thread.
:banger:
 AussieNancy
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/28/2015 4:01:02 AM

..........is to remind people that no one wants to date a wasp with big shiny eyes.

Your main photo is non compliant with the rules and you know it so don't come here complaining that.....

So many times photos on here are deceiving

.......like yours is!
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/28/2015 4:43:20 AM

But to have someones marital status verified, I could see how that would be a benefit to both men and women on this site.

That's not going to cover all situations.

Here is the scoop with the sunglasses picture.

1. If there were no other pics to view without sunglasses, I could see your point.
2. Slight mystery is motivation for anyone to look closer.

Then you're no better than the people that which you accuse of the same obfuscation. If you want mystery, keep on the sunglasses in your main and allow people to have no pictures -- or old photos, photos where the full face isn't shown, or photo-shopped photos in their main, to get them to click. Eventually, your photo will get flagged for not complying with POF standards.

I would comment on things I see in your profiles that I personally do not find appealing but I do not think this is the place for that.

I'm not wearing sunglasses in my main -- it's of my entire face.

I didn't start thread to bemoan the legitimacy of people's profiles with said photo in use, either -- you did, so live with the consequences.

Submit
 8inscrew
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/28/2015 5:02:37 AM
I'm not putting cc info in to "verify", but vid chat works.
Skpe is still free, no?

The put you down answers you've been getting aren't about
you, your pic or your topic..... they are about misery.
It loves company and gets lonely too. They are just trying to
socialize theirs so it won't feel so left out.

Like graced so eloquently put it.... submit.
 k9terry
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2015 6:52:23 AM
WOW, Such Jaded women on here.

While I do agree that pictures on here can be deceiving (REASON I POSTED THIS THREAD), I know women tend to get defensive when they hear the truth they cannot handle. I believe my profile is mostly attracting what "I" am looking for.

If you are making a decision based on ONE picture, that is YOUR error.

Yes, I would like to see photo verification on here. But as someone said, this is a "FREE SITE" so, while you may get lucky, searching for quality, screened, potentials in a for free arena is truly stupid.

Thank you for the wake up call.
 k9terry
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2015 6:56:36 AM

The put you down answers you've been getting aren't about
you, your pic or your topic..... they are about misery.
It loves company and gets lonely too. They are just trying to
socialize theirs so it won't feel so left out.

Like graced so eloquently put it.... submit.

I hear ya, it is truly sad to see people that damaged. It breaks my heart.

Perhaps seeking counseling instead of a partner on POF should be the route some should take.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/28/2015 7:16:50 AM

While I do agree that pictures on here can be deceiving (REASON I POSTED THIS THREAD), I know women tend to get defensive when they hear the truth they cannot handle. I believe my profile is mostly attracting what "I" am looking for.

Your dating interests are of no consequence to me.

It's about your silly thread.

If you are making a decision based on ONE picture, that is YOUR error.

Your main photo is against the rules and it greatly discredits your thread.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/28/2015 7:20:03 AM

I hear ya, it is truly sad to see people that damaged. It breaks my heart.

Damaged by what? You put a thread about authenticity and verification; yet, you want to bypass that yourself. You did that to yourself.

Perhaps seeking counseling instead of a partner on POF should be the route some should take.

Troll.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/28/2015 7:24:36 AM

I'm not putting cc info in to "verify", but vid chat works.
Skpe is still free, no?

That's what I use.
 k9terry
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2015 8:11:14 AM
BYPASS WHAT? I have plenty of pics on my profile. Your going to hammer on one of mine because????

Troll? Please

Truth hurts. Perhaps we should tell you to take off the war paint as that "Does not show your face clearly".

Quality of people on this site is horrendous!
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/28/2015 8:17:18 AM

BYPASS WHAT?

I refuse to argue with an irrational human being.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/28/2015 2:39:09 PM

From my experience, 3 out of 5 profiles on here have less than honest pictures of what they look like today.

Then use venues other than OLD to meet women.
 Ruby__Slippers
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/4/2015 3:37:24 PM
This is a free internet site. Some people lie and how best to determine they are not a match! Age/height/marriage status/ C'mon...If this, in itself, reveals liars and cheaters, be greatful you found out. Sure, we get frustrated. Move on. With this new pof site change, how do I delete people who have put me on their "favorites" list when I don't want to be listed there? The older site had a "Remove" option. Nothing worse than having a unfavorable person who has you on their list. Yikes
 runningout
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2015 3:58:34 PM
Ruby,

The Remove option is still there(well as of half an hour ago when I removed someone). It is at the very right hand side of the screen.

As for the original post, I am not sure I am following what you are saying. Let's pretend I am rich. Eternity is dark haired like me, close in age, pretty woman. Say I took her pics from here, went to every paid site, uploaded them with my unlimited cc and made up a fake profile. How exactly does that prove the pics are real? Sure they are real pics, just not me.
 AussieNancy
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/4/2015 9:07:40 PM

Firstly, I doubt many people would be willing to submit a copy of their Marriage or Divorce certificates to Markus.

Secondly, how can one prove they are single or separated?

I have plenty of pics on my profile. Your going to hammer on one of mine because????

........because your main is against the rules. We cannot see your face behind those sunglasses.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/6/2015 9:33:32 AM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2463835,00.asp

Avoid Getting Catfished

BY ANGELA MOSCARITOLO AUGUST 21, 2014
If you pass the test, the dating site will add a badge to your profile signifying that your photos are really you.

Digital Dating Tips
There's nothing worse than finding out your latest online flame looks nothing like their profile photo in real life. Such a letdown, amirite? But luckily, Zoosk has devised a solution to this all-too-common problem.

The dating site on Thursday debuted a new feature, dubbed Photo Verification, that's intended to confirm the authenticity of members' profile photos.

With Photo Verification, which is currently only available on iOS, you open the Zoosk app on your iPhone, and select a profile photo that you want verified. The app will prompt you to record and submit a video "selfie" that will capture your face from a variety of angles. Zoosk then compares that video selfie to your profile photo to check that your profile photos are accurate representations of your real life appearance.

If the moderators approve your photo, you'll be notified and a badge - like a verified checkmark on Twitter - will be added to your page. The video "selfie" will remain private.

"One of the most important concerns of online daters is going out with someone who doesn't really resemble their profile picture," Shayan Zadeh, co-founder and CEO of Zoosk, said in a statement. "By innovating a system for our members to validate the accuracy of existing profile photos, we believe we can create better first-date experiences that will lead to lasting relationships."

The feature is available through the Zoosk iOS app beginning today, and it's expected to arrive on Android in the coming months.
According to a 2013 Pew Research study, more than half of online daters have been blindsided by an inaccurate profile photo. In fact, some 54 percent felt that a fellow dater "seriously misrepresented themselves" in their profile, the study found.

"Zoosk developed this feature in order to address its members' interest in having more transparency and trust in their potential dates," the company said in a statement. "By creating a Photo Verification process, Zoosk has become the first company in the online dating industry to directly address this concern."'
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > BEST THING POF CAN DO FOR US MEMBERS