Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > New dating site for women that deals with OLD problems      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 patchjoker13
Msg: 1
New dating site for women that deals with OLD problemsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
There is a lot of buzz about a new dating site for women. The site makes the ladies the gate keepers and only approved men are allowed on the site. In articles about the site the creators discuss why OLD does not appeal to most women. They mention that there are too many guys on dating sites and women just get bombarded with tons of messages from men that have nothing to offer. The articles also mentions rude male behavior and the fact that it can make OLD an unattractive place for women. The goal is to replace average guys with better catches and create a 50/50 balanced ratio. I don't know if it will work but the articles about this site mention problems with OLD that I have suspected for years.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 2
New dating site for women that deals with OLD problems
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:23:27 PM
"Replace average guys with better catches"...already this is a doomed concept.

Who exactly is determining who is a "better catch?" My big dud with online dating is that I thought I HAD found a few good catches, tried to do all my research, ask questions, pre screen, all the prep work...then you go meet them and real life smacks you in the face. You have no idea who you are dealing with until you actually MEET. Anyone can put together a stellar looking profile.

Also.....since when has "average" become so horrible? Most of us are "average."
 sealady111
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:35:03 PM
I would be very, very happy with what I consider an average man.

Even though I detest the term.
Average ... yuk.

Agree with Volcano.... a doomed concept.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:37:44 PM

The site makes the ladies the gate keepers and only approved men are allowed on the site.

The goal is to replace average guys with better catches and create a 50/50 balanced ratio.

But what if you tried to sign up to the dating site and you weren't considered a good enough catch? That would be a bummer.

So only approved men? Who approves, women that dated them and it didn't work out? Maybe it's our mothers that need to approve. Or it is like hot or not, users rate the attractiveness of your pics/profile.
 antirepublican
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:48:03 PM
Congrats OP. Finally they have a web site where you can really stand out as the wonderfully nice man that you are. With all of the bad men gone, you can finally get a woman to be friends with you. Undoubtedly you will make the cut. No question that you are warm, loving and sensitive enough to chart big on a site like that.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:58:42 PM

There is a lot of buzz about a new dating site for women. The site makes the ladies the gate keepers and only approved men are allowed on the site.

Seems unnecessary. IMO, a better way, to have a site feel active -- but not bombarded is pretty simple: The way of T!nder and HorN. You vote to approve men Writing You, instead of being on the site altogether. I mean, one can mark a profile on some sites as them being kicked off -- I guess one could add an option as to why for the ladies in terms of "Not dateable for women in general" or something like that, I guess.

I think they're setting up those "rules" to gain visitors -- for marketing reasons, not for the most optimum situation.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/1/2015 10:34:54 PM
I don't write women...

Nuff said.
 runningout
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 2:41:56 AM
Dating in real life has just as many problems as OLD. For the most part, even if you meet someone through friends, you aren't going to know their deep, dark secrets. At some point, people just need to take a blind leap of faith.

I think for the most part, if you have all these issues with OLD, it probably isn't the right medium for you to meet people. I have never been able to wrap my head around getting upset over a stranger who you aren't even remotely interested in, sending you a rude email.
 import_from_uk
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/2/2015 3:16:04 AM

There is a lot of buzz about a new dating site for women.

I've not heard even a murmur, let alone a buzz.

The articles also mentions ...

Got a link for that?

The goal is to replace average guys with better catches and create a 50/50 balanced ratio.

Based on whose definition of average?

Meh, this is a lot of non-descript blub. Do you have any evidence of this post? Or is it just a "what to you women consider average" post in disguise?
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/2/2015 4:21:54 AM
Please direct me to the articles.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/2/2015 4:22:51 AM
A wave of new dating sites attempts the impossible: getting rid of all the creeps

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/09/30/a-wave-of-new-dating-sites-attempts-the-impossible-getting-rid-of-all-the-creeps/
 dragonbytes
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/2/2015 5:46:55 AM
From the article, I think Siren is interesting since it doesn't allow men to even see women's profiles.

Women have to first select men. I have no idea of how that will work in practice.

None of the approaches will stop more sophisticated creeps from duping women, but it would stop a lot of the really stupid MSGS women report getting.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 6:16:24 AM

Women have to first select men. I have no idea of how that will work in practice.

I imagine in much the same way HotOrNot invented the concept of dual-Likes required for writing, but a bit different. Gal logs in, and does her profile browsing, and marks guys she likes or could possibly like and checks them off. It wouldn't be a flirt or a wink, but just first-phase "Seems possible". Guys, when first signing up know they're going to be measured & judged to some small degree at least by the lady members, and would only see gals who see him as a possible catch. Great -- he wastes less time. Guys would like it because the gal makes the "first move", albeit a real small one -- and girls like it because it's not them coming onto the guy given the angle on it.

In the end, one can just do a Yay/Nay selection like Tinder/HorN. People like to people watch anyway. From mutual Yays, they could see their whole profile and write each other.

None of the approaches will stop more sophisticated creeps from duping women

I don't think any of it's about preventing one from Duping someone. It's just about a gal to avoid being bombarded by guys they aren't attracted to.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/2/2015 6:33:26 AM

I don't think any of it's about preventing one from Duping someone. It's just about a gal to avoid being bombarded by guys they aren't attracted to.

The real problem isn't attraction or too much attention per se, it's being bombarded by rude, crude men that use dck pics, profanity and obvious lying.

If women were bombarded by relatively polite men that took no for an answer without a verbal assault, I doubt we would see a lot of complaining.
 Maleman999
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/2/2015 7:08:37 AM

The site makes the ladies the gate keepers and only approved men are allowed on the site.

This makes no sense. First of all, who approves of the men allowed on the site? I could imagine the backlash if someone was too set up a dating site where women needed to be approved before being allowed on the site, but any guy could join. As far as women being the gate keepers, isn't that pretty much how all dating sites work? In almost all cases, it's the guy who is doing the chasing, and women can sit back and just delete messages that she's not interested in, within seconds.

The goal is to replace average guys with better catches....

But are the women on the site "better catches" for guys-whatever defines a better catch? Quality guys will want quality women. Since all dating sites run on the same principle of people requiring immediate physical attraction to the profile pictures to have any interest, how will this be any different?
 cooldog65
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 7:15:57 AM
^^^^^ I was thinking the same thing about the quality of the women.

Do they expect Melissa McCarthy to snag Channing Tatum?
 JoeBnD
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/2/2015 11:11:46 AM
Sounds like the husband store (joke about store where each floor provides better prospective husbands - top floor has only women) of OLD
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/2/2015 11:35:06 AM

My big dud with online dating is that I thought I HAD found a few good catches, tried to do all my research, ask questions, pre screen, all the prep work...then you go meet them and real life smacks you in the face.

Every time I see your online dating experience related here, I always have to wonder, if these guys who got through your screening process were so bad, what were the guys like who got screened OUT? Could they have been any worse in the end?

But what if you tried to sign up to the dating site and you weren't considered a good enough catch?

ACCESS DENIED

If women were bombarded by relatively polite men that took no for an answer without a verbal assault, I doubt we would see a lot of complaining.

You mean like 2004?

In articles about the site the creators discuss why OLD does not appeal to most women.

Any more, anyway.
Apparently it used to appeal to women more, since they were much more active participants in it.
 MissScawlett
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/2/2015 11:52:55 AM
I agree with VolkanoKing ... every woman has a different opinion about what's a "good catch" so who's going to be the judge of this amazing concept dating site?
 J3LV3HL_WV3JP
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:02:46 PM
So it's sort of like being the "velvet rope" guy at a trendy NY nightclub?

No thanks. I've got a better idea I'm working on.
 antirepublican
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:18:47 PM

I agree with VolkanoKing ... every woman has a different opinion about what's a "good catch" so who's going to be the judge of this amazing concept dating site?

That is actually a trivial problem because, in every important way, all women are the same. It would be a very small matter to catalogue the relevant attributes that they find attractive. The only real variation is in what they think they can get for themselves. Women who swear that they want poetic and sensitive average Joe's aren't exactly being dishonest. They just gave up on the muscle bound, billionaires who masquerade as super hero underwear models. They see the working class poets as the best that they can get of the remainder. It isn't but that is another thread. Suffice it to say that there are enough reasonably good looking millionaires to go around. The working class poet is going to be writing an ode to lost love if his gf registers for such a site.
 Your_Move
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:23:23 PM

There is a lot of buzz about a new dating site for women. The site makes the ladies the gate keepers and only approved men are allowed on the site

Given the high number of women who prefer not to have to "initiate", I wonder how that will play out?
 Maleman999
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:54:59 PM
If guys have to go through some kind of approval process and get stamped as Grade A quality, like beef in a slaughter house, does this guarantee that every message a guy sends will get a reply and every woman contacted will agree to a first meet/date? I didn't think so. If guys have to meet certain quality control standards, shouldn't women be subjected to the same standards as well? If not, what's the incentive for guys to participate in this nonsense, when there are so many other dating sites that don't require all of the game playing?
 Blackwood85
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 2:42:42 PM

So it's sort of like being the "velvet rope" guy at a trendy NY nightclub?

It sounds like that doesn't it? And aren't those clubs the worse? They're normally not fun at all, no one is dancing and it just seems to be a cool trendy place to say you've gone.

Given the high number of women who prefer not to have to "initiate", I wonder how that will play out?

This too. When half of the clientele isn't known for initiating messages how do you expect them to start doing that now?

But you know what? I will bite. I am on fire :-D So I'm going to try these apps and report back my findings.
 Your_Move
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 3:45:06 PM

But you know what? I will bite. I am on fire :-D So I'm going to try these apps and report back my findings.

I love your spirit on that! I checked out "Siren", since that was the "women do the screening" one - but their main screen seemed to only let you access them via a cellphone app...and since I work on a computer all day, I don't bother owning a smartphone...so I may be SOL on there, before I can even get there ;) I did email them and ask them if they accommodate PC / browser traditional users - but no response yet.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > New dating site for women that deals with OLD problems