Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > That Evil Gluten      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mummymania
Msg: 1
That Evil GlutenPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
No Conspiracy. Gluten really is evil:

http://savingdinner.com/gluten-evil/#

In this video, Dr. O’Bryan shared five things that most people don’t know about gluten. One of the items on his list should shock you out of that sandwich you’re thinking about eating!

He mentioned a study of folks who suffer from headaches, where 36% of the patients who eat gluten have dead brain tissue.

Oh my gosh. I have dead brain tissue from eating wheat bread . . . . I am sure lots of people with headaches agree to biopsies of their brains to determine how much dead brain tissue they have . . .

In most of these cases of recurrent headaches, gluten is the culprit. Cut out the gluten and the headaches go away. Some studies show that the tissues in the brain can regenerate on a gluten-free diet. I sincerely hope that’s the case!

Whew. I was worried. I thought dead brain tissue never regenerated. Glad I am wrong.
But does that mean another brain biopsy to determine if my dead brain tissue has regenerated?

Dr. O’Bryan also talks about how gluten is messing with our skin, it’s zapping our energy, and it’s even linked to higher cases of suicide—especially among children.

Yes, I heard the same thing. Children who eat wheaties have been committing suicide in droves . . . and it is absolutely, positively linked to those wheaties.

> You really should watch this video. It’s just under twelve minutes long, and it’s essential health information.

I am sure it is a fact filled video with all kinds of suggestions on how you can save yourself from the evils of Gluten . . . it just might cost you a little money to do so I am guessing.
 Mummymania
Msg: 2
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/8/2015 3:16:44 PM
The point of the above sarcastic post was to present how everything in the good old USA today is a scam. If somebody can figure out a way to make money and sell books and videos and over the counter herbs and supplements by concocting non-evidenced based BS about the evils of wheat, they will do so. No different than claiming there is a cancer cure which is hidden by the Big Pharma, but which you can buy from so and so. Anything for money in the good old USA, despite the complete lack of evidence to support the dubious claims made.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 3
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/8/2015 6:57:19 PM
Gluten-free diet reduces adiposity, inflammation and insulin resistance associated with the induction of PPAR-alpha and PPAR-gamma expression.

Soares FL1, de Oliveira Matoso R, Teixeira LG, Menezes Z, Pereira SS, Alves AC, Batista NV, de Faria AM, Cara DC, Ferreira AV, Alvarez-Leite JI.

Author information

Abstract

Gluten exclusion (protein complex present in many cereals) has been proposed as an option for the prevention of diseases other than coeliac disease. However, the effects of gluten-free diets on obesity and its mechanisms of action have not been studied. Thus, our objective was to assess whether gluten exclusion can prevent adipose tissue expansion and its consequences. C57BL/6 mice were fed a high-fat diet containing 4.5% gluten (Control) or no gluten (GF). Body weight and adiposity gains, leukocyte rolling and adhesion, macrophage infiltration and cytokine production in adipose tissue were assessed. Blood lipid profiles, glycaemia, insulin resistance and adipokines were measured. Expression of the PPAR-α and γ, lipoprotein lipase (LPL), hormone sensitive lipase (HSL), carnitine palmitoyl acyltransferase-1 (CPT-1), insulin receptor, GLUT-4 and adipokines were assessed in epidydimal fat. Gluten-free animals showed a reduction in body weight gain and adiposity, without changes in food intake or lipid excretion. These results were associated with up-regulation of PPAR-α, LPL, HSL and CPT-1, which are related to lipolysis and fatty acid oxidation. There was an improvement in glucose homeostasis and pro-inflammatory profile-related overexpression of PPAR-γ. Moreover, intravital microscopy showed a lower number of adhered cells in the adipose tissue microvasculature. The overexpression of PPAR-γ is related to the increase of adiponectin and GLUT-4. Our data support the beneficial effects of gluten-free diets in reducing adiposity gain, inflammation and insulin resistance. The data suggests that diet gluten exclusion should be tested as a new dietary approach to prevent the development of obesity and metabolic disorders.

Copyright © 2013 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23253599

Just mice, but ....
 Mummymania
Msg: 4
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/8/2015 7:44:10 PM
Yes, and exercise does the same thing, as will losing weight from other methods. The point is how many either create or take advantage of the latest fads. As for these studies, just keeps PhD candidates busy..but not sure this one is showing anything that was not already known. The key is to reduce weight and increase physical activity to increase insulin resistance. Carb reduction helps in weight reduction, short term anyway. No surprise there
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 2:43:15 AM
Gluten, insulin spiking processed foods and sugar contribute to disease.
Dementia is one.

May want to think about type 3 diabetes which is a term DRs are using now, not just "quacks'

You dont have to be "FAT" to suffer from inflammation and other diseases/symptoms a high insulin producing food causes.Ave and slim people eat crap that cause deterioration of the body and brain
http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-diseases/type-3-diabetes-metabolic-causes-of-alzheimers-disease/

It s not a fad.But go ahead and think /eat what you want to.
Many people like yourself are unaware of its destructive action on the body/brain. Dr William Davis is a cardiologist who was having no success with his diabetic patients utilizing diets with whole grains. What he found in his research was shocking and has a far reaching effect on the health of everyone from meat eaters to vegetarians.

Read Grain Brain, Wheat Belly ..just to start with.
Its a beginning to help you understand a few things.
Read Jama articles

A recent large study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that people with diagnosed, undiagnosed, and “latent” celiac disease or gluten sensitivity had a higher risk of death, mostly from heart disease and cancer. (i)

This study looked at almost 30,000 patients from 1969 to 2008 and examined deaths in three groups: Those with full-blown celiac disease, those with inflammation of their intestine but not full-blown celiac disease, and those with latent celiac disease or gluten sensitivity (elevated gluten antibodies but negative intestinal biopsy).

Findings were dramatic. There was a 39 percent increased risk of death in those with celiac disease, not as common as inflammation/sensitivity, 72 percent increased risk in those with JUST gut inflammation related to gluten, and 35 percent increased risk in those with gluten sensitivity but no celiac disease.

Research backs you don’t have to have full-blown celiac disease with a positive intestinal biopsy (which is what conventional thinking tells us) to have serious health problems and complications–even death–from eating gluten.

Yet an estimated 99 percent of people who have a problem with eating gluten don’t even know it. They think their health or symptoms is caused by something else, blaming age or hormonal issues else–not gluten sensitivity, which is 100 percent curable.
 Mummymania
Msg: 6
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 5:09:36 AM
I don't want to read these books. Why should the opinions of these authors matter to me? I don't care about the opinions from these authors as generally their opinions are based on nothing reliable. If I am going to change how I eat, I want to rely on hard science. So if you can refer me, cite me to these specific studies I can rely on, I will look them up on medline or Google scholar. See if they say what your authors say they say. If gluten is that bad, why does nhi recommend wheat products? Don't they know what is going on out there? And why should I assume the authors of these books have any more knowledge or integrity than the scientists who recommend grains as part of a healthy diet? How do you ignore the evidence that high fat diets are not heart friendly? What type of dementia? And all of the research into alzheimers, never have I read that gluten was responsible. So what are all of these opinions you offer based on. What evidence?

Let me add that if there is one thing I have learned in my career, these "doctors" who sell their opinions for so much money are people who don't give a damn about truth or facts, often have not a shred of integrity. They simply care about padding their own pockets. Besides that, why should,I believe a cardiologist knows anything about nutrition and heart healthy foods? And how could this doctor have the capacity to on his own conduct a reliable study? Especially one concerning the brain?

Bottom line, you have given lots of opinions here but no cites to anything I can actually rely on.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 7
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 5:34:50 AM

I don't want to read these books.

LOL alrighty then.

nobody cares if you aren't persuaded and refuse to change your diet. go eat some more bread. but if you insist on being convinced of something you didn't already know, why don't you just do your own fucking research instead of demanding that everyone else should spoon feed you with information that probably doesn't match your rigorous standards for integrity? btw I went over to the NIH and in less than 3 seconds located a study that says the intake of small amounts of gluten in suspected non-celiac subjects resulted in a primary outcome that included abdominal bloating, foggy mind, depression, and aphthous stomatitis (mouth ulcers). but I'm sure the results are fatally flawed in some way, if not the subjects themselves.

Skyr
Msg: 8
view profile
History
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 6:09:26 AM

Gluten, insulin spiking processed foods and sugar contribute to disease.
Dementia is one.

May want to think about type 3 diabetes which is a term DRs are using now, not just "quacks'

This is what I was referring to in regard to the hypothetical claims made by quacktitioners. Take a little bit of science, extrapolate to a pre-determined outcome, and use it to sell the latest pop-diet book.

What on earth does gluten have to do with the insulin physiology of the brain and dementia? Evidence please, not conjecture.

A recent large study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that people with diagnosed, undiagnosed, and “latent” celiac disease or gluten sensitivity had a higher risk of death, mostly from heart disease and cancer. (i)

This study looked at almost 30,000 patients from 1969 to 2008 and examined deaths in three groups: Those with full-blown celiac disease, those with inflammation of their intestine but not full-blown celiac disease, and those with latent celiac disease or gluten sensitivity (elevated gluten antibodies but negative intestinal biopsy).

Findings were dramatic. There was a 39 percent increased risk of death in those with celiac disease, not as common as inflammation/sensitivity, 72 percent increased risk in those with JUST gut inflammation related to gluten, and 35 percent increased risk in those with gluten sensitivity but no celiac disease.

Research backs you don’t have to have full-blown celiac disease with a positive intestinal biopsy (which is what conventional thinking tells us) to have serious health problems and complications–even death–from eating gluten.

Yet an estimated 99 percent of people who have a problem with eating gluten don’t even know it. They think their health or symptoms is caused by something else, blaming age or hormonal issues else–not gluten sensitivity, which is 100 percent curable.

Presumably you are referring to the Swedish cohort study. Allowing for the fact there are limitations with case-controls (*only as good as the ability to match confounding variables), the results for the antibody positive, but biopsy negative group, shows an increase hazard ratio only in the first 5yrs post follow-up period. There is no statistical significance in mortality in this group at > 5yr post-follow up.

If you think about it...who would get bloods done for coeliac serology and a SB biopsy? People who have abdominal symptoms (eg pain/weight loss/bloating/altered bowel habit), because it's not the sort of thing you do for fun. These are the same symptoms as a range of serious diseases, including bowel and other malignancy. What are the chances they had positive antibodies, but died of something completely unrelated to coeliac disease? Pretty good I would say, especially in the first year post-follow up (hazard ratio 1.81; 95%CI 1.18-2.76)

Even IF having positive coeliac (anti-TTG/EMA/gliadin) antibodies, was a CAUSE of increased mortality, the only recommendation that can be made is to avoid gluten if you have these antibodies. It does not apply to the general population (which presumably include the controls used in the study).
 Mummymania
Msg: 9
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 7:35:54 AM
"NIH and in less than 3 seconds located a study that says the intake of small amounts of gluten in suspected non-celiac subjects resulted in a primary outcome that included abdominal bloating, foggy mind, depression, and aphthous stomatitis (mouth ulcers). but I'm sure the results are fatally flawed in some way, if not the subjects themselves."

Those symptoms, if indeed caused by gluten, are not issues I have ever had, gluten or not. So perhaps gluten effects some people adversely. Does that mean all people should stop eating gluten?
 dragonbytes
Msg: 10
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 7:43:56 AM
Non-celiac gluten sensitivity: literature review.
Mansueto P1, Seidita A, D'Alcamo A, Carroccio A.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
A significant percentage of the general population report problems caused by wheat and/or gluten ingestion, even though they do not have celiac disease (CD) or wheat allergy (WA), because they test negative both for CD-specific serology and histopathology and for immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated assays. Most patients report both gastrointestinal and nongastrointestinal symptoms, and all report improvement of symptoms on a gluten-free diet. This clinical condition has been named non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS).
AIM:
We attempt to define the current pathogenic, clinical, and diagnostic criteria of this "new" disease, to provide a practical view that might be useful to evaluate, diagnose, and manage NCGS patients.
METHODS:
We reviewed the international literature through PubMed and Medline, using the search terms "wheat (hyper)sensitivity," "wheat allergy," "wheat intolerance," "gluten (hyper)sensitivity," and "gluten intolerance," and we discuss current knowledge about NCGS.
RESULTS:
It has been demonstrated that patients suffering from NCGS are a heterogeneous group, composed of several subgroups, each characterized by different pathogenesis, clinical history, and, probably, clinical course. NCGS diagnosis can be reached only by excluding CD and WA. Recent evidence shows that a personal history of food allergy in infancy, coexistent atopy, positive for immunoglobulin G (IgG) antigliadin antibodies and flow cytometric basophil activation test, with wheat and duodenal and/or ileum-colon intraepithelial and lamina propria eosinophil counts, could be useful to identify NCGS patients.
CONCLUSIONS:
Future research should aim to identify reliable biomarkers for NCGS diagnosis and to better define the different NCGS subgroups. Key teaching points: • Most patients report both gastrointestinal and nongastrointestinal symptoms, and all agree that there is an improvement of symptoms on a gluten-free diet. • NCGS diagnosis can be reached only by excluding celiac disease and wheat allergy. • Patients suffering from NCGS are a heterogeneous group, composed of several subgroups, each characterized by different pathogenesis, clinical history, and, probably, clinical course. • A personal history of food allergy in infancy, coexistent atopy, positive IgG antigliadin antibodies (AGA) and flow cytometric basophil activation test, with wheat and duodenal and/or ileum-colon intraepithelial and lamina propria eosinophil counts, could be useful to identify NCGS patients. • Future research should aim to identify reliable biomarkers for NCGS diagnosis and to better define the different NCGS subgroup.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24533607

My take is that NCGS is real, but it doesn't affect everyone. Gluten free is a fad, but so were antibiotics when they first got popular. The difference between a fad that eventually fades out and a popular treatment that is still going strong isn't really obvious at first.
 Mummymania
Msg: 11
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 8:01:02 AM
Exactly dragon. There are a group of people allergic or sensitive to all sorts of things, whether it be cats or milk. And if you have symptoms, you need to find out why and eliminate that substance from your environment best you can. This one policy for all makes no sense. If bread made me sick, be pretty dumb to keep eating it. But I love bread, especially freshly baked, and I see nothing in the literature yet about why I should give it up.

And there is always some fad going on. Low fat. High fat. The zone, the prehistoric..and on and on and on. Eat healthy. Eat well. Exercise. Your body will let you know if you are doing something wrong. All this pseudo science is doing more harm than good IMHO
 dragonbytes
Msg: 12
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 9:13:45 AM

You dont have to be "FAT" to suffer from inflammation and other diseases/symptoms a high insulin producing food causes.Ave and slim people eat crap that cause deterioration of the body and brain
http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-diseases/type-3-diabetes-metabolic-causes-of-alzheimers-disease/

This article revolves around becoming insulin resistant. So how do we become insulin resistant?

In summary, a variety of lines of evidence suggest that insulin resistance, in large part, is a cellular defense mechanism against energy excess. Cellular energy excess is caused primarily by the chronic consumption of energy in excess of what is expended. Fat tissue can mop up the excess energy for a while, but if the excess is chronic and fat tissue enlarges (particularly abdominal fat), other tissues will be exposed to progressively more energy (fatty acids and glucose), and cells will act to protect themselves by reducing insulin sensitivity.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-causes-insulin-resistance-part-i.html

This seems to make sense.

Gluten is a source of high energy foods, reducing one's calorie count nearly always increases insulin sensitivity, as does exercise. And a very low calorie diet with high nutrients that is close to starvation shows reduced metabolic rate resulting in longer life.

The main problem could be too much energy dense food that can be easily converted to glucose aka some forms of carbohydrates.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 13
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 9:30:06 AM

Exactly dragon. There are a group of people allergic or sensitive to all sorts of things, whether it be cats or milk. And if you have symptoms, you need to find out why and eliminate that substance from your environment best you can. This one policy for all makes no sense. If bread made me sick, be pretty dumb to keep eating it. But I love bread, especially freshly baked, and I see nothing in the literature yet about why I should give it up.

And there is always some fad going on. Low fat. High fat. The zone, the prehistoric..and on and on and on. Eat healthy. Eat well. Exercise. Your body will let you know if you are doing something wrong. All this pseudo science is doing more harm than good IMHO

People who have a metabolic problem such as metabolic syndrome will look towards diet to solve their problem. Reducing gluten could well solve their problems without their having to be allergic.

People like yourself who have a fast metabolism will believe that all it takes is eating healthy and exercise.

IMO it's not one size fits all. What works for some people won't work for others. I take magnesium supplements to stop muscle cramping. It works for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone just because it works for me. And I wouldn't listen to anyone that says I shouldn't take it because I know it works for me.
 Mummymania
Msg: 14
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 9:46:25 AM

People like yourself who have a fast metabolism will believe that all it takes is eating healthy and exercise.

IMO it's not one size fits all. What works for some people won't work for others

We will have to disagree on this, with respect of course. I get that some people will react far more quickly than others to a diet and/or exercise. That doesn't mean they won't work for everyone. Simply not just as fast or as efficiently. Everyone will lose weight if intake is less than outtake. That, like you said, is the law of physics.

As 2ufo pointed out, there are some with medical conditions who can gain weight on a very low calorie diet. She mentioned somebody she knew diagnosed with some sort of cancer. I remember Jerry Lewis had some sort of condition that caused him to swell up to balloon size when he had been slim all of his life. I get that some medical conditions play havoc with the body and it will not react to exercise or diet, although I am not sure how that works. Sooner or later, absent ingestion of water and food, people will either lose weight or they will die. But most people will react to diet and exercise . Its just a question of degree.

And I don't want to give my metabolism all of the credit for my staying slim over the years. I have worked hard, very hard, to stay the way I am. I literally have been working out on a regular basis since I was eleven years old. I remember working hard at that age to win awards for physical fitness (the president's physical fitness award, signed by Lyndon Johnson . . my age is older than on my profile), and another award for running fifty miles within a certain period of time. I of course played varsity sports in high school, but I kept up my exercise routine in college and beyond. There is the rare day in the last forty years I have not exercised to one degree or another. So I don't buy it can't be done by everybody. Its just not easy to do.
 Mummymania
Msg: 15
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/9/2015 3:19:57 PM
Just putting wheat bread in Google Scholar, this study came up on the first page. I didn't go any further:

Copyright © 1986 by The American Society for Clinical Nutrition, Inc

Low glycemic response to traditionally processed wheat and rye products: bulgur and pumpernickel bread.

D J Jenkins, T M Wolever, A L Jenkins, C Giordano, S Giudici, L U Thompson, J Kalmusky, R G Josse, and G S Wong

Abstract

To look at the effect of processing wheat and rye on blood glucose responses with special reference to bulgur and pumpernickel bread, groups of 9-12 Noninsulin-dependent (NIDDM) and 5-6 Insulin-dependent diabetic volunteers (IDDM) were fed test meals containing 50 g carbohydrate portions of four wheat and three rye products. Glycemic indices for IDDM and NIDDM combined, calculated as the incremental area under the blood glucose response curve, where white bread = 100, demonstrated values of 96 +/- 5 for wholemeal wheat bread, 89 +/- 6 for wholemeal rye bread, 78 +/- 3 for pumpernickel bread, 65 +/- 4 for bulgur, 63 +/- 6 for whole wheat kernels and 48 +/- 5 for whole rye kernels. Results for IDDM and NIDDM were similar (r = 0.96, p less than 0.01). It is concluded that traditional processing of cereals, such as parboiling (bulgur) or the use of wholegrains in bread (pumpernickel) may result in the low GI value associated with the unmilled cereal. Cereal foods processed in these ways may form a useful part of the diet where a reduction in postprandial glycemia is required.
 Skyr
Msg: 16
view profile
History
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/10/2015 3:20:59 AM

Gluten is a source of high energy foods, reducing one's calorie count nearly always increases insulin sensitivity, as does exercise.

So is water. It doesn't follow that reducing water intake will necessarily do anything for insulin sensitivity.
 Skyr
Msg: 17
view profile
History
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/10/2015 4:00:56 AM

Abstract
RESULTS:
It has been demonstrated that patients suffering from NCGS are a heterogeneous group, composed of several subgroups, each characterized by different pathogenesis, clinical history, and, probably, clinical course. NCGS diagnosis can be reached only by excluding CD and WA.

It's a literature review with a pretty loose inclusion criteria. The only way to identify NCGS as an entity is with a double blind placebo controlled food challenge, not working backwards from the clinical history.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 18
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/10/2015 5:15:11 AM

So is water. It doesn't follow that reducing water intake will necessarily do anything for insulin sensitivity.

I don't know anything about water and insulin sensitivity, but I know water isn't a high energy food. Though I suppose if you never consume any water, you won't have problems with weight, insulin or anything else., so in that way you are right.
 Skyr
Msg: 19
view profile
History
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/10/2015 3:01:47 PM

I don't know anything about water and insulin sensitivity, but I know water isn't a high energy food. Though I suppose if you never consume any water, you won't have problems with weight, insulin or anything else., so in that way you are right

Perhaps I should have said- it doesn't follow that water has anything to do with insulin sensitivity, any more than gluten, as far as we know.
 satx78218
Msg: 20
view profile
History
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/10/2015 8:13:52 PM
I read an article recently that I can't find now.

The idea was that gluten wasn't problem for 99% of the people, but people were the problem, with screwed up immune systems.

The Autoimmune Epidemic: Bodies Gone Haywire in a World Out of Balance

http://www.alternet.org/story/80129/the_autoimmune_epidemic%3A_bodies_gone_haywire_in_a_world_out_of_balance

My guess is that culprit is the 10Ks of synthetic chemicals we are in contact with daily, 100s of which have been found in placenta blood, and almost none of them have been tested even by the silly short-term toxicity tests, and never in infinite combinations after absorbed orally, or through the lungs or transdermally.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 21
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/11/2015 10:38:03 AM

My guess is that culprit is the 10Ks of synthetic chemicals we are in contact with daily, 100s of which have been found in placenta blood, and almost none of them have been tested even by the silly short-term toxicity tests, and never in infinite combinations after absorbed orally, or through the lungs or transdermally.

The fact that ~75% of the cases of autoimmune disease affects women Vs men, generic differences and hormones may play a role.

Microchimerisms is an interesting possibility but IMO unlikely but it will affect women more than men. Epstein Barr virus prevalence is prevalent in 80-90% of the population and has long been suspected in lupus and other autoimmune diseases.

Silica dust and cooking at home with contaminated oil, cleaning manufacturing vats used to make polyvinyl chloride, the culprit was a monomer in the air, a toxic chemical compound that joins with other compounds during heating to become polyvinyl chloride.

Eventually we will know a lot more about this. I think viruses are the strong possibility, but we don't know as of yet.
 satx78218
Msg: 22
view profile
History
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/13/2015 4:35:55 AM
Gluten-Free Doesn’t Mean Healthy, Study Debunks Gluten Myths

A new study from Australia’s The George Institute for Global Health revealed that not only are most gluten-free foods unnecessary for most people, they aren’t all that healthy and may be more expensive.

Gluten sensitivity and the more rare celiac disease affect only a small percentage of people, yet the gluten-free market is exploding in all categories. According to the New York Times, as many as one in three people try to avoid gluten in products, but the chance of being diagnosed with celiac disease is one in 133.

Researchers, led by Dr. Jason Wu, compared a number of gluten-free products with comparable glutinous alternatives in categories including bread, pasta, crackers, cookies and candy. “There has been a tidal wave of gluten-free products coming onto the market in recent years and many people have been caught in the wash as they search for a healthier diet,” Dr. Wu said in a statement. “The foods can be significantly more expensive and are very trendy to eat, but we discovered a negligible difference when looking at their overall nutrition.”

Dr. Wu also pointed to a “health halo effect,” a term that means we often opt for something we think is healthier for us, even without doing research on whether that food (or product) will offer us any real benefits.

“Many people need gluten-free food, but there is a growing group who are only trying it for its apparent healthiness,” said Dr. Wu. “However, we found on average that gluten and gluten-free foods are just as healthy, or unhealthy as each other.”

http://www.organicauthority.com/gluten-free-doesnt-mean-healthy-study-debunks-gluten-myths/
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 23
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/13/2015 7:02:16 AM
US wheat bioweapon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M115_bomb

just a bit of speculation here. us military had plans and had developed and tested the weapons to bomb german wheat fields with biological agents back in the late 40s/early 50s. it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to me to suppose that wheat can be 'weaponized' to make people chronically ill in ways that would make it nearly impossible to detect. for example:

Modern Wheat: A Terrorist’s Delight
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/09/modern-wheat-a-terrorists-delight/

Modern wheat is the perfect disrupter of bowel health, a creation that even Al Quaeda couldn’t top.

Let’s put aside issues like celiac or gluten-sensitivity triggered by the new gliadin proteins (such as the Glia-alpha9 sequence in most modern wheat), issues that affect 10% of the population. Let’s instead talk about the disruption of bowel health that occurs in EVERYBODY–without the immune activation of celiac or gluten-sensitivity.

In other words, nobody escapes the bowel effects described below. Eat modern wheat and experience the bowel disruption it wreaks, plain and simple.

First, wheat germ agglutinin–indigestible to humans–is a direct intestinal toxin. If 1 mg is fed to a laboratory animal, its intestinal tract undergoes extensive damage not unlike that seen in celiac disease. The average wheat-consuming human takes in 10-20 mg per day.

The direct intestinal destruction of wheat germ agglutinin is made worse by a process first described in 1990 by Dr. Alessio Fasano’s group at Johns Hopkins: The gliadin protein of wheat triggers expression of the zonulin protein in intestinal cells. Zonulin, in turn, disrupts the normal “tight junction” structures (via actin filament polymerization) that provide a normal barrier to foreign substances in the intestinal tract, ordinarily preventing their entry into the deeper tissue layers of the bowel as well as the bloodstream. With the normal tight junction disabled, foreign substances are able to pass between intestinal cells through the impaired tight junction–in short, stuff in your intestine that has no business getting into your bloodstream does. Among the foreign substances allowed access is wheat germ agglutinin.

There are three consequences to health as a result of this gliadin-wheat germ agglutinin two-punch effect:

1) Wheat germ agglutinin can enter the bloodstream and hitch a ride to other organs to places like your knees, hips, skin, thyroid gland, eyes, airways and sinuses, resulting in inflammation in those organs: arthritis, rashes, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, uveitis, asthma and sinus congestion.

2) Gliadin likewise enters the bloodstream and triggers immune phenomena via its “molecular mimicry” effect, its capacity to closely mimic the structure of many human proteins, triggering autoimmune responses: rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, polymyositis, neuropathies, etc.

3) Because the disrupted intestinal lining now acts as a two-way path, water can leak into the intestinal tract, resulting in diarrhea and bowel urgency. In fact, this effect of the gliadin protein has been likened to the effect of cholera toxin that results in intractable watery diarrhea.

Multi-organ inflammation, autoimmunity, and watery bowels: You can see why I often call modern wheat “a perfect chronic poison.” It is as if this thing was specifically designed for maximum damage, an intestinal jihad perpetrated on us by agribusiness mujahideen.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 24
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/13/2015 7:38:05 AM
on the other hand:

Wheat Belly -- An Analysis of Selected Statements and Basic Theses from the Book
http://www.aaccnet.org/publications/plexus/cfw/pastissues/2012/opendocuments/cfw-57-4-0177.pdf

"cereal world" defending their turf.

not that I automatically believe the other guy. i just know from personal experience that i feel better and notice other positive physical changes when i avoid wheat. tastes so damn good though, i'd kill for a hunk of crusty Italian bread, soft in the middle and smeared with garlic butter.
 CharminC
Msg: 25
That Evil Gluten
Posted: 7/13/2015 12:48:22 PM

i feel better and notice other positive physical changes when i avoid wheat.

Ditto
Lately, I'm finding that I am bloated from eating any food other than fruits and veggies or little bits of meat.
And, food comas! I'm out like a Simpson. zzzzzzzzzz
Why? Is the foods itself since it's not what it used to be or my body aging or both?

tastes so damn good though,

Preach sister! Preach!

i'd kill for a hunk of crusty Italian bread,

Ohhhh, they make the best french toast!
If you do it right, it's like a crusty donut.
Sprinkle with sugared cinnamon then drizzle some maple syrup.
A side of fresh strawberries
hot damn

Oh look.. my belly swelled just from typing that. *groans
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > That Evil Gluten