Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Horrible restaurant experiences on first date      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rcp83
Msg: 1
Horrible restaurant experiences on first datePage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Have you ever experienced a bad experience on the first date, but with how the service was or even witnessing some drama on your first date?

This is what happened to me. I went on a date to Lone Star, which is a very nice place. The waitress took us to get seating, but instead of taking us to a booth, she instead took us to a table, when there are plenty of booths open. I kinda took offence to this, and said "Uh, is there any way we can get a booth instead?". It felt awkward telling the waitress this, but she had to know this.
 gcdeb
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Horrible restaurant experiences on first date
Posted: 7/15/2015 8:39:27 PM
I don't get it. Is this an American thing, where the expectation is that you'll be seated in a booth if one is available? And why is it awkward to ask for what you prefer?

I would never take a booth if it was just me and one other (unless there were plenty of empty booths). I'd leave the booths to the bigger groups of people.
 sealady111
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/15/2015 8:41:21 PM
Ha Ha

Sorry Ryan,

But if the worst thing that can happen to you in an eatery is that you need to request a booth you have been very lucky.

Truly, did you get upset over that?
Offended?

If I was with a man who took offence over something so minor it could be a very short first meet.

Asking for a different table, inside / outside or a booth is NORMAL.
Certainly nothing to cause offence.

p.s.

Just glanced at your profile

I don't like women, who are rude, negative, demanding, and judgemental.

^^^ Pot calling the kettle black methinks.
 gcdeb
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2015 8:41:55 PM
Adding because we can't edit, sorry I just reread and see where you said there were lots of empty booths. Still, you don't know whether there were reservations for those booths, but most likely, they have a policy of seating couples/singles at tables first.
 irishgirl772
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/15/2015 8:49:46 PM
^Booths are generally for parties of 4 or more.
 south_city
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/15/2015 8:53:53 PM

Booths are generally for parties of 4 or more.

It may depend on how crowded the restaurant is. But I have sat at booths plenty of times when it just was myself and 1 other person.
 rcp83
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/15/2015 9:35:05 PM
Here we go again...criticize, criticize, criticize. I thought it was typical to automatically be seated at a booth if I brought a date along...even if I was with one of my buddies, I'd be brought to a booth. This isn't coincidence. Should my date be brought to a booth where she can be comfortable, or should she sit in hard wooden chairs? Come one now, what are we talking about here?
 rcp83
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/15/2015 9:37:06 PM
NewMexicanDancer, now that is a great story. I loved it
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/15/2015 9:47:45 PM

Here we go again...criticize, criticize, criticize.

You do seem to have the tendency to post some whiney drama themed threads. Especially when something like this is cause for your angst....

I kinda took offence to this, and said "Uh, is there any way we can get a booth instead?". It felt awkward telling the waitress this, but she had to know this.

You took offence because she was seating you at a table?

Most grown men if they felt inclined to have a booth would have simply said..."we would prefer a booth, thank you".
 rcp83
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/15/2015 9:54:22 PM
If you say so....I just wanted to explain what my worst restaurant date was like. My date even took offense to it, and had a look on her face that said "what a ****". If my stories do come off as me whining, then that's up to you.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/15/2015 10:44:28 PM
THIS is the worst thing you can come up with? Seriously? Good gravy. Come back in a few years.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/15/2015 10:52:55 PM
I know you're getting a little shirty about the responses here, but:

You really think getting sat at a table and having to ask for.a booth rises to the level of a "horrible experience"? I hear that phrase and I'm thinking something traumatic happened.

If you'd named the thread, " What's the most minor inconvenience you've experienced in a restaurant? " I'd be on board.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/15/2015 11:03:46 PM
RCP83...you were seriously offended by where you were being seated? Really?
Online dating is going to be a painful, arduous, and uphill struggle based upon threads you have shared.

Here is a valuable hint and I won't even charge my typical POF dating consultation fee:
You should seek a four-person square table so you can seat corner-to-corner to each other for better intimacy.

You don't want an enormous booth so you two can bark questions at each other from ten feet away.
If you don't like the seating offered, simply speak-up like a courteous gentleman, as CrookCatcher wisely suggested.
 loveisatemple
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/15/2015 11:12:47 PM
The insanity of the forums ..starting to feel really surreal....Op, yes, that was horrendous, poor baby, do not think I can hear any more..too painful...
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2015 11:59:39 PM
This experience you find bad??? You just ask for the booth and that is that. What was the drama????? I must have missed something??? You probably had the look on your face that shows in your pics or had a bad attitude altogether.

Seriously dude, wait until some chick stands you up, or turns up fat and plain but orders an expensive meal that you are expected to pay for and has no intentions of seeing you again. Then you may have cause to pout..
 runningout
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2015 2:01:32 AM
It is not so much that they are criticizing OP, but getting a table vs booth is not really a horrible restaurant experience. I don't know where it is implied in the service industry that two people or more get seated in a booth. You do also realize that when she came over to seat you that is when you should have said "A booth for the two of us, please". All this would have been avoided.

As for comfort, I don't find booths comfortable at all. The table is too far away for me to sit with my back against the seat.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/16/2015 2:04:52 AM

The insanity of the forums ..starting to feel really surreal..

Indeed.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/16/2015 3:59:18 AM
asking the waitress for a booth was a horrible experience? because she should have known that's where you would have preferred to sit?

TERRIBLE!

you go over to UrbanSpoon and rip them a new one right now.
 Walts
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/16/2015 4:05:59 AM
I've heard there are some people here in North America didn't get to eat anything last night.

Tis true.

They'll be all right this morning though,,,,before the garbage gets picked up.
 DietFree
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2015 4:42:28 AM
I've been to the Lone Star (in Kingston) and enjoyed it. Their salsa is great!

If not being taken to a "good" spot in that restaurant is horrible experience for you, then get ready....it's all downhill from there.
 overunity
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2015 5:25:36 AM
I'm surprised the restaurant staff didn't realize this major mistake immediately just by looking at you pouting after fearing being placed in those punishment chairs.
 sealady111
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/16/2015 5:29:44 AM
If I have the correct chain restaurant... they have a fried onion thingy that looks like a flower.

If I have that right, I had a first meet date with the man who invented that fried onion thingy that looks like a flower.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/16/2015 6:13:52 AM

criticize, criticize, criticize.

you criticized the waitress's callous suggestion that your delicate posteriors should have to suffer the cold, cruel assault of non-padded chairs. did you get huffy? did you leave a nickel on the table for a tip as an object lesson in the importance of attentive customer service? the bitch should have known.

so horrible.
 south_city
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/16/2015 6:45:56 AM

criticize, criticize, criticize.

You are blowing this way out of proportion. At worse, this was a minor inconvenience. If the waitress gave you a hard time when you asked to be seated in a booth amd there were plenty of empty boothes, then I can understand your frustration.
 Maleman999
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/16/2015 6:54:15 AM

I had a first meet date with the man who invented that fried onion thingy that looks like a flower.

At places I've been at, it's called a Blooming Onion.

As far as stating a preference of seating, I've done it a zillion times. My feeling is if I'm the customer, it's their job to make the customer happy, and if that involves sitting where I want to sit, that shouldn't be a problem. One thing to take into consideration OP, is who ever took you to a table doesn't really give a shyt where you sit. It's their job to randomly pick out an empty table. Mind reading is not required for that job.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Horrible restaurant experiences on first date