Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > The board was much better with moderators      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sviitmore
Msg: 1
The board was much better with moderatorsPage 1 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
These boards were far better with moderators. They were at times heavy handed, but fair and operated with common sense. With the people now trying to control these boards, they have fallen into dysfunction. How long can these boards last with animals in control?
 MissScawlett
Msg: 2
The board was much better with moderators
Posted: 7/19/2015 8:12:50 AM
In certain ways it was better with moderators. They were able to stop all the nasty responses from certain posters who do it over and over again and continue doing it today. Just ban them for a while and let them think about their hateful attitudes. Of course, they just come back and do it again. I rarely find any subject to comment on and new threads are few and far between. The forums are more of a diversion when I have down time at work than getting any good advice.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 8:35:28 AM
Animals are not in control. No one is in control.

All this talk of factions and banning sounds overwrought and paranoid to me.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/19/2015 9:00:38 AM
I liked when there were mods, but I only got sent to banned camp once.

It was more important to have them before they hid the forums (and double hid the politics and religion forums). There are so few posts here now, that mods would get bored.

And I'm not buying the conspiracy theory either.
 Walts
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/19/2015 9:20:00 AM

These boards were far better with moderators

And why would you think that would be?

Think why there is a need for police. Think why there is a need for rules and laws. Think why many have to be told. And now, think why we, as a society need more and more of all of this.

Scared yet?
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 9:40:56 AM
No, nothing scares me anymore.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/19/2015 9:41:42 AM
Someone who has just joined the forums on 7-11-2015 remembers when the days of moderators were better? How would you know this if you just joined a week ago?
 kj521
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/19/2015 9:59:02 AM
Oh for goodness sakes!

Y'all are right about the fact that there is no conspiracy! Just posters hitting the report profile button. Some do it for valid reasons and some just because they don't like the poster. Nothing hard to believe about that.

What was difficult for me to believe was just how serious some of these individuals take these forums. Not having experience with any other forum before....I did not know that this was not unique to just these forums. That is what is fascinating to me! I have met some wonderful people here....and I would be lying if I didn't say that the majority are so very good....just few dang bad apples is all.

I, also, preferred the forums when there were both mods and a link. Were mods always fair? No. How could they be? They are only human, too. But the abuse they endured by posters and an unsupportive admin.....it is shocking that they even stayed as long as they did. You couldn't pay me to endure that kind of abuse....and certainly not for free! I am no masochist! Don't want to even know about such things....it's why I stay away from the sex forums! ;)

When a power vacuum is created.....rest assured there will be no shortage of those who feel it is their duty to fill it.

But what do they have control of? A sad and dying forum.....that's it.

With that said.....I don't report anyone....I am more of a live and let learn kind of person. :)
 ohenryx
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 11:06:06 AM
I liked, respected, and got along fine with Cowboy and Abelian. Cowboy chastised me a few times, I apologized, life went on. Never had a problem with TrappedOnBayStreet, although not much interaction. Ms A, however, was a true biatch. Power hungry, definitely had favorites, and never even made a pretense of being fair. ‘Nuff said.

Bring back anyone but Ms A, and I will agree that moderation would help.
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/19/2015 11:19:32 AM
Well....I disagree it was better with moderators.
Maybe, for those that sucked up to them.....or corresponded privately with them.
I don't think that should have been allowed.... btw.
My theory is they should be anonymous, faceless, genderless and unreachable by the regulars and maybe even
each other.
If they have their own private profiles....great.

I got banned twice and it was from Miss A.
I took my comeuppance without whining to her or pleading my case.
For one, I didn't know you could...the other...it's just not who I am.
One, I felt I deserved....the other I didn't.
JMO....
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 11:24:21 AM
The forums are not like the use to be. I been on and off of here since 2006 and the forums where better back then. They use to have a forum tab. I agree do not bring back Ms A. she was not fair to posters and she was not a nice person.
 sviitmore
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/19/2015 11:42:50 AM

been on and off of here since 2006 and the forums where better back then.

I've been off an on since probably 2010. I would be here a few months and then disappear until the next year. But yes, these boards are the worst I have seen them. When you give control to unfair and seif-righteous people . . . and they get to control who goes and who stays, you get what this board now is.

There are a number of bitter, angry people here and they like to take their anger out on others.

I have seen song in her various IDs deleted over and over again for doing NOTHING but expressing her opinions.

Others the same.

That is outrageous and intolerable and the people behind it need to be gone . . . because the truth is, it is part of their miserable personalities. They will never change because its who they are. Absent their being gone, than moderators . . fair and rational moderators, are the only other choice to make these boards work. And when I say fair and rational, I am not talk about jerk-offs like Tall IQ / Moderate Recall. I mean non-sanctimonious people who recognize that at times people need a cooling off period or reminded that personal insults are not okay. That nobody needs to be positive all of the time. That debate means controversy and strong opinions on all sides. The people who have taken control here are weak minded, manipulative azz hats that will never be able to do a decent job.

Someone who has just joined the forums on 7-11-2015 remembers when the days of moderators were better? How would you know this if you just joined a week ago

I get being obnoxious and sarcastic and intentionally obtuse is part of the MO you have created for yourself. I guess because you have given up on guys . . . poor you . . no decent guys in LA . . . it really doesn't matter how you act. Since you are going nowhere anyway, what's the difference? Like you, I hope to accomplish nothing on the dating end . . so being here is for entertainment only . . . just like you. Two peas in a pod we are.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 12:02:40 PM
Well, things aren't going to go back. The site's been sold to Match, and Match doesn't have forums either.

As for how much better these forums used to be, that was because of a lot more than the presence of some mods. It was also because a LOT of members who are now gone, participated as a sort of stable national society, and established through their mindfulness of each other, a place of people who held to certain boundaries of civility and openness. As with all societies, it welcomed new arrivals and guided them, sometimes roughly, sometimes gently, into making this a vibrant place to communicate and learn.

But any police of any society, aren't good or bad by magic. They are individuals, and if the wrong individuals come to be in power, then not nice things happen and the society suffers. So it's not the PRESENCE of moderators which mattered, it was exactly who they were.

Some are now dead. Some appear to have gone off the deep end before being locked out. Others simply lost interest and left. They are not coming back.

From here until Match decides to shut this down, the condition of this little forum community is up to the ever fewer members to shape.

I am looking for a new "home," and have had no luck yet, but maybe one of the few existing forums will get a flood of the better members of ours into it, and will BECOME something nice like this once was.
 sviitmore
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/19/2015 12:08:54 PM

I am looking for a new "home," and have had no luck yet, but maybe one of the few existing forums will get a flood of the better members of ours into it, and will BECOME something nice like this once was.

These are some great forums and it will be sad to see their demise. There are forums all over the internet . . . if you like political issues, whatever. Yahoo forums have a lot of jerks, but if you use the ignore function, they are not bad. And there are a wide number of forums to choose from. Truth is, almost all of the forums I have regularly participated on are investment themed forums . . . . and even there you have a lot of the nonsense going on. Its the nature of the beast.

This forum could be easily cleaned up with an ignore button. Then it is the choice of the individual who they will listen to, who they will read. If they want to see the latest controversial post from somebody they don't like, they can unignore that person. Or they can ignore them in perpetuity. But giving the keys to the membership has resulted in what we have now . . some of the most interesting posters . . . . Pig, et. al. . .. being deleted because of a few tight asses.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 12:11:33 PM

I got banned twice and it was from Miss A.

She once deprived me of my posting ability for a few days. Reason was because in an argument I told a female she had NO reading comprehension skills. Looking back, I was right, and it was my professional opinion! Why should I have gotten banned for stating what her 6 th grade teacher already knew?:P

*What do you think of City-Data forum?
 runningout
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 12:52:50 PM
The reasons why most have mentioned about power tripping mods is why it is better without them. I find the lack of thought provoking questions the decline of the forums not "animals in control". We are all adults.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/19/2015 1:04:28 PM
Possible new forum home.

City data says they have 1.5 million forum members, and their relationship section seems even more active than POF.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/sitemap/f/f-155.html
 dragonbytes
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/19/2015 1:16:24 PM

She once deprived me of my posting ability for a few days. Reason was because in an argument I told a female she had NO reading comprehension skills. Looking back, I was right, and it was my professional opinion! Why should I have gotten banned for stating what her 6 th grade teacher already knew?:P

*What do you think of City-Data forum?

:), I saw your post after I made mine post about city data.

I had gotten banned so many times I lost count, it has to be 6-10 times, maybe more. Mostly by MissA, sometimes it was hard to tell., some before MissA. One time I got banned for telling a poster he was acrimonious.

Another time I got my ability to start new threads taken away because I started this thread.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/16196695datingPostpage3.aspx

I sort of gave up on taking POF forums very seriously after that. or as being reliable in any way.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/19/2015 1:51:27 PM
less moderation=more virulent environment for game playing by DSM-V disordered &/or addicted people.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 2:01:49 PM
Well. Had I been the god of the forums and seen that post, I wouldn't have banned you from posting, but I might well have deleted the thread and told you to find a more respectful way to express yourself about the subject.

THAT made you stop taking these forums seriously?

Okay.

Citi-data looks to be about City Data. Potentially useful, but not interesting.
 daynadaze
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 2:12:13 PM
To have a decent forum you need decent moderators, otherwise there tends to be too much juvenile behavior by adults that just can't function on an adult level. But bad moderators are worse than none. When I saw a member here posting private info about other members that they had gotten from a moderator, well that just speaks for it's self, no moderator should be giving out any info on other members, that's just stupid. I've been a moderator elsewhere, it's like being on a jury, you have to take your personal BS and shove it, it's about what are the rules, were they broken, and what's the best way to keep that from happening again by that person. You don't ban people because you are friends with some members who don't like that person, you don't ban people because they not saying what you want to hear, but you do ban people who purposely cause friction just to be a troll. It can be a fine line once in a while, but mostly it's just common sense and most trolls are looking to be banned, it's the aim of their whole day, to stir up crap and get banned. No forum should put up with trolls. So I like mods, but not mods within cliques and certainly not mods with personal problems dealing with other people.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/19/2015 2:34:14 PM

Well….the thread has been hacked up pretty good. Probably the best stuff is missing.

“Proteaus” (aka “demidar”) looks like he’s arguing with himself.

THAT made you stop taking these forums seriously?

I think he meant having his ability to start new threads taken away because he started that thread made him stop taking the forums seriously, hence:

Another time I got my ability to start new threads taken away because I started this thread.

I sort of gave up on taking POF forums very seriously after that
 dragonbytes
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/19/2015 3:39:49 PM

I think he meant having his ability to start new threads taken away because he started that thread made him stop taking the forums seriously, hence:

It was way more complicated.

1) I created the thread, it got deleted by MissA and my ability to create threads eliminated.

I asked why, she explained, I explained why it was done that way, but I apologized for not thinking about how other people might take this, after a short time she restored my ability to create a thread.

2) I recreated the same thread correcting everything she said was wrong with it.

3) Then I got banned from creating threads because I created a duplicate thread, but the other thread was deleted and gone.

4)Asking miss A WHY, she said she knew nothing about it. So I assumed it must be trapper.

5) I tried to contact trapper, but he has a MSG restriction of only accepting MSG from females.

6) I appealed to the "forum_moderator" and I have no idea who that is, I assumed someone with POF.

7) Not hearing anything for a week from the "forum_moderator", I asked MissA to contract trapper for me to see if I could appeal to him. She agreed to,BUT....

All the MODs quit right after that, leaving me in limbo.

After a while, I deleted my profile and created this new one, but I had lost my interest in creating threads, and now the forums have very few serious posters left, so posting anything real has become even more fruitless.

It does seem quite possible the forums will not exist once Match takes over. Though maybe Match will have a problem trying to decipher the code creating POF, and decide to just let everything ride. I have seen other very large companies do this with systems they acquired through acquisitions. It's just too time consuming and technically complicated to change, so they just let the system continue as is.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/19/2015 3:59:54 PM

Well….the thread has been hacked up pretty good. Probably the best stuff is missing.

“Proteaus” (aka “demidar”) looks like he’s arguing with himself.

This is my main objection to the way moderators were operating.

1) They would delete threads that were created a long time ago because they could get controversial and someone would complain. Bang, the entire thread is gone. They could have just froze new posts or put in a restriction of only X number of posts per user.

2) They would eliminate so many posts that the thread no longer made any sense.

Supposedly threads are kept to help others learn from them, but how can anyone make sense of them when they either get deleted or chopped up so much they don't make sense. And why waste time posting when it will all disappear when someone gets offended?
 professora
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 4:14:37 PM
interetsing about match.

why are some forum posters with photos and others not?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > The board was much better with moderators