Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Is my profile any good? Trying to avoid hoplophobes.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Seki1949
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is my profile any good? Trying to avoid hoplophobes.Page 1 of 1    
"Is listing "shooting" as a hobby enough to get the point across?" Yes.

Personally I like your profile. It's conversational and I have a good sense of who you are. Your pictures are honest.

Some of the regular reviewers are more "formal" and it will be interesting to see their advice to you
 Seki1949
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Is my profile any good? Trying to avoid hoplophobes.
Posted: 8/8/2015 12:36:08 AM
PS: "Barbarossa" is certainly a good screen name for you! Drop the 75 mile email restriction. Ms. Perfect may live 83.2 miles away from you.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2015 2:55:22 AM
listing shooting in interests is more than enough, anymore and you run the risk of coming across as a "gun nut".

You need a complete new set of photos. SMILE this is automatically make you look more fun, friendly and attractive. You need crystal cleat photos of you AT YOUR VERY BEST. Your main picture is your one shot to make a great first impression, so why wouldn't you want it to be as perfect as it can be. Imagine you were about to go on a first date and look smart and sharp, get a photo of that!

I've always been a rather shy person and I'm looking to get out of my shell and see what's out there in the world. Yeah, I'm a computer nerd and book geek (shrug). I'm no party animal, so you can be sure of me not dancing with a lampshade on my head or similar stuff. I'll just watch the silly behavior, while sipping my drink (which is more often than not tea). My sense of humor is rather dry, which comes from being a fan of Monty Python and Douglas Adams. Once I open up, then I'm a great talker.

This section needs to be totally reworked. The things that stand out are....
Shy
Nerd
Geek
Dosn't like parties
Judges other who drink

this is all very negative and doesn't make you sound appealing to women. Your profile needs to be positive. I always say women find 3 things attractive in a guy:
Confidence
Passion
Romance

Your profile is massively lacking confidence.

Instead of 'shy' try 'thoughtful and reflective'
Instead of 'nerd' & 'geek' try 'passionate' and 'creative'
Instead of saying your not a party animal talk about something you do like
Instead of commenting on others behaviour, say what you are like.

Ends up something like....

"I've always been a thoughtful and reflective person but I still want see what's out there in the world. I'm passionate about books and computers, I have a creative mind and love how a book can take you to another time or place. I love great conversation, I enjoy speaking with people who also have an intelligent and creative mind for hours on end while sipping my favourite tea. I love to laugh and love making people laugh, my sense of humor is rather dry, which comes from being a fan of Monty Python and Douglas Adams. "

same stuff, same you, just in a much more positive way.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/8/2015 9:26:33 AM
To attract women, you need to describe yourself in positive terms. Look up personality traits for ideas.

Definition of "nerd" (dictionary.com):

1. a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit.

Definition of "geek" (dictionary.com):

1. a digital-technology expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often used disparagingly by others).

2. a person who has excessive enthusiasm for and some expertise about a specialized subject or activity:
a foreign-film geek.

3. a peculiar person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual, unfashionable, or socially awkward.

4. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
 Forums_only
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/8/2015 10:08:32 AM
Agreed on the 'shooting'. You may want to clarify if it's Target Shooting or actual Hunting.
I'd loved to have seen a great big smile.
The last line about body image can go. What DO you want in a woman? Are you open to someone who may already have a child(ren) at home?
There are some incredibly beautiful hiking trails in your area. Why not venture out to one and get some photos in the woods?
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/8/2015 11:16:54 AM
Why not put “I carry loaded firearms on dates,” since that’s what caused you to break up with your last girlfriend. ~ahem~

I agree with the poster on your other thread who suggested she broke up with you because she was afraid of being blown away during your right to bear arms arguments.

Honestly I doubt that will make a difference.
 tennistown
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/8/2015 11:40:21 AM

Is my profile good?

I like profiles that...
1. Start out fast (grab your attention.)
2 Maintain speed and direction (interesting or fun is always good.)
3 Finish strong (by ending on a high note.)

If you're striving to force your body to conform with perceived social requirements, we probably won't work out.

^^^^ Your "About Me" section did not end on a high note.
In fact, it challenges most people to backspace out to someone else.
Faster than you can say "I've got a CCW permit, and I'm packing heat."

"We probably won't work out."

Even for those readers that might,
(as many women like "big" guys.)
It's off putting and highly judgmental.

Is that what you were going for?
If you're looking for someone sweet, write a sweet profile.

I suggest finishing strong, on a high note.
Good luck.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/8/2015 5:33:17 PM
You need to warn women before meeting that you carry a gun on dates. That's the right thing to do.

Women need to be informed, so they can decide if they feel safe meeting a strange man with a gun. This is deal-breaker for me.
 QuirkyTeacher
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/9/2015 8:19:41 AM
Do you carry your firearm on dates?

Meeting a new person from online can be intimidating enough for some. Why on Earth would you add a firearm to the mix? Unless I'm going to a shooting range (and I wouldn't do that on a first date), I wouldn't expect a man to have a firearm on his person. If he does, I'd be grateful that he shared this, but it would also be a deal-breaker. Have a gun...fine. Don't bring it on our first meet. If a man thinks so much of his guns that he can't make me feel comfortable upon during a first meet by leaving it home.. I'd feel it's a peep behind the curtain as to what else is to come.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/9/2015 9:07:24 AM
Yes, he carries a gun on dates. In Ask a Girl forum, "Guns ownership and carriage," he wrote:

I'm asking this because I just ended a relationship of 1.5 years because my girlfriend was incensed that I would carry a gun while we were on dates and that had we been married or living together, she would not permit guns in the house.

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16433186.aspx#16433186
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Is my profile any good? Trying to avoid hoplophobes.