Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Life without health insurance      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NJgirl116
Msg: 1
Life without health insurancePage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
If you don't have health insurance, does it affect your life choices? I haven't had insurance since February, and I have made changes to my lifestyle. I don't drive anywhere unless I have to. My job is 10 miles away, the grocery store is right here, church is 9 miles away, that's about it. Absolutely no driving out to NYC. I'm just afraid of something happening. I don't even drink and drive anymore, those days are over.
 gtomustang
Msg: 2
Life without health insurance
Posted: 8/8/2015 8:43:02 PM
when taking care of my parents, I had no time for a doctor or a dentist, I was taking the two of them to their own. So, no more motorcycle riding. No time for bike tours on roads, but did keep biking on paths, which makes more sense than sucking up car exhaust. Basically, nothing that would put me in the hospital, since I was the only one driving them, doing the shopping, etc.

it just makes logical sense. which isn't as common as it should. Saying that, however, I gained weight b/c I was having dinner with them at 4pm, and then getting hungry at 9pm in a city with great restaurants...and no more 50 mile bike tours.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/8/2015 9:02:03 PM

I don't even drink and drive anymore, those days are over.

It is a rare day, when I am at a loss for words, but who ever had Aug 9th 2015 in the pool, step up to collect your prize.
 gtomustang
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/8/2015 9:18:54 PM
it was me, but all the pool players left to create new profiles.

dammit.
 DameWrite
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2015 9:39:44 PM
I had Aug. 06 and 09! ( but I thought it would be by someone condoning the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki).

Instead we get a religious woman worrying about HER life insurance even though she doesn't EVEN drink and drive anymore.

Drunk driving victim be damned!
 high-ground
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2015 11:22:27 PM
DameWrite,

Its health insurance !
I bet she meant to say drink or drive.
Is it not OK for NJ girl to mention the distance to her church ?
 BussOfEsprit
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/8/2015 11:31:45 PM
I think, the statistic is a five mile radius of your home is where the majority of accidents occur (just over 50%). There have been times in my life where I didn’t have health insurance but it didn’t stop me from driving. I would probably be more health conscious.

I’ve never had an accident! Well, there was the time when I was young and backed the car into the side of our garage. There was a good amount of damage but I was 14 yrs. old (I think) and it doesn’t really count lol
 DameWrite
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2015 11:35:44 PM
I meant health insurance and said life. So, if she meant drinking OR driving... fair enough, I'll retract my comment. ( but I think she is capable of straightening out any error on her part if there is one).
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/9/2015 12:53:34 AM

Posted by NJgirl116:
"...I don't even drink and drive anymore, those days are over..."

Good for you. That was an excellent decision.
 shirleywonton01
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/9/2015 1:20:56 AM
An attorney friend once explained to me that most accidents occur either at home or in an automobile. So if you have auto or home insurance the odds are you will be covered in case of an accident.

Why not focus on taking care of your self with exercise, nutrition, yoga, acupuncture etc... as well as work on your spiritual growth. We as humans survived quite well before the institution of insurance was created.

I often think those who are insured subconsciously want their monthly premium to pay off by creating illnesses. And those without it make sure they don't get sick.
 BialaPolska
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/9/2015 5:37:47 AM
high Ground !!!! You should know better !!! The War on Christians has gotten so intense that the young lady is going to be deprived of her Freedom to Associate. She has already marked herself as an undesireable in obamanation for defining herself as Christian.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/9/2015 6:28:24 AM
@OP

I haven't had insurance since February,

Have you ever heard of Obama care?
Its the law!
Contact your state's health dept, and they will help you enroll!
The cost depends on your income and the plan type you select
and once you get coverage, then you can "drink & drive" again :-(
 07songsungblue
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/9/2015 6:54:45 AM

I often think those who are insured subconsciously want their monthly premium to pay off by creating illnesses. And those without it make sure they don't get sick.

Another brilliant well thought out comment.

I can't imagine not having health coverage. Provincial plan costs me $0.00 that covers everything from "I have the the flu to I have cancer" and I have a private drug/dental/medical plan that costs me $65.00 a month.

What were/are you folks south of the border paying?
 cotter
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 9:53:06 AM

If you don't have health insurance, does it affect your life choices?
Yes. It could cost you money ... if you don't sign up and get some, you may have to pay a penalty?

Many of us have had to go without health insurance for long periods of time for various reasons, but I was under the impression that such a situation is no longer necessary related to the availability to health insurance through the ACA.

I remember a time when I had to go without medical insurance because employers didn't offer it ... often making it only available for full time employees and purposely not giving anyone full time hours. Then there were times when I couldn't afford it because I was barely making enough money to pay rent and eat, etc.

Still other times many of us were penalized by having a "pre-existing medical condition" and so that was grounds to deny a person coverage. I couldn't help it that I had to have a hysterectomy or bleed to death ... but because of it, they wouldn't insure me. I couldn't help it that my thyroid decided to quit functioning appropriately, but that didn't matter to them ... (in the tone of "No soup for you!") they simply said, "No insurance for you!"

My girlfriend from high school days gave birth to a baby that had muscular dystrophy. Of course that disease didn't rear it's ugly head until the child was in grade school and when the insurance found out, they told the parents they were no longer going to cover that child's medical costs. They simply dropped that child's name off of the family policy. I'm sure that child didn't do anything to wish that on himself.

Used to be, they'd pay for liver transplants of chronic alcoholics but won't leave a child on an insurance plan who did nothing but get born with an incurable disease.

Amazing ... eh?

If I may ask ... why don't you qualify for the ACA or medicaid?
 trinity818
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 11:13:03 AM

I'm paying just over $450 per month for a very basic HMO with a 2500 deductible. It's a decent plan compared to those I was offered last year.

I may have to go without soon. Hopefully, it won't be for long.
 import_from_uk
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/9/2015 11:35:35 AM

I'm self-employed so without an employers contribution. I pay $309 a month for myself and two teens. Our doctor and hospital visits are covered by our Province so our insurance pays for what the province doesn't cover - 80% of any prescription meds, some dental, some vision and then chiropractors and similar health related services with limits on number of annual visits.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/9/2015 1:28:47 PM
You do know you may pay a tax penalty if you don't have health insurance? Not for sure, it depends on your income and the state you live in.

Here is a handy calclator you can use to see how much of a subsidy the goverment gives you for different income situations. There is a kind of doughnut hole where you don't make enough for ACA but you make too much for medicaid. Then you have to apply for medicaid and get rejected before signing up for a regular health plan. The silver health plans are the best for those that also qualify for cost sharing for deductions. Single people that make between something like 18.000 - 25,000.

If you look at this, blue cross can cost $0-$100 per month.

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

Absolutely no driving out to NYC. I'm just afraid of something happening. I don't even drink and drive anymore, those days are over.

Sounds like not having health insurance maybe good for your health. But I am probably a little more of a risk taker than you are.

I haven't had health insurance for 15 years, I think maybe 1999.

I just this year got health insurance, mostly because of the tax penalty and ACA.

I get the feeling having health insurance is often more expensive than not having it. Unless you have a major problem like heart bypass surgery or some chronic problem like diabetes.

A bigger part of the reason I didn't worry that much about healthcare was because I am pretty healthy.

If I have to go to a doctor, I ask for self pay medicare rate, often you can get that, it's much reduced. But sometimes they only give you 20% off. But I only went to a general MD twice in the last 15 years. and the last time he really didn't do anything.

It's really not that hard to self diagnose problems, however doctors corner the market on prescriptions and you can't do surgery.

It's difficult to get a doctors office to actually estimate the cost of any procedure. There is the doctor's fee, hospital room, any assistants such as an anesthesiologist. You can get special case fees if you can claim you are too poor.

I order all my own blood tests, you can order them privately. The cost of say male hormone tests is maybe $650 + $100 for a doctor to order and draw blood, you can order the same series for $150.00 privately. And added benefit is no one knows what your results are but you.

I can either order my own lipid profile (HDL, LDL, cholesterol) or get it done at the local community health. Local lipid profile is $20.00.

I generally buy all my prescriptions from London. One I recently bought, Clomiphene, you can buy for $15 in London, from the USA it's $60.00. All prescriptions are similar, it's about a 3X markup.

I do have a supple of antibiotics and pain medication. Though I have never used them. My wife seemed to think we needed it and it doesn't cost much in Thailand. Norfloxacin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, (50 tabs). Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic (50 tabs) . Norgesic (30 tabs) is a muscle relaxant, Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, Central Nervous System Stimulant. Total cost of those prescriptions drugs was $13.00. I think if I had an infection that required and antibiotic I would go to a doctor, but UTI are pretty common with women and they routinely prescribe amoxicillin.

I needed to get epiretinal retinal surgery on my eye, it's a delicate operation. You can google it, but the best estimate I was getting in the USA was maybe $7,000. In Thailand at the very prestigious Bumrungrad Hospital it was $1500.00. In Thailand you pay the bill before being admitted, and they refund you if it didn't cost as much as their esitmate. (I did get a refund, it ended up $1500)

I get any dental work done at Roomchang Dental & Aesthetic Hospital. A root canal and cap would cost $400.00, filings maybe $25. Routine dental it makes more sense to go local, but tooth implants / caping teeth are far cheaper overseas. Two tooth implants in the USA would run maybe $8,000 total, in Roomchange it would be $2000.

If I need eye glasses, I get a prescription from Sam's club for about $45, and order glasses from eye buy direct.

I used my new healthcare plan to get cataract surgery in one eye, it still cost me $1600 because I wanted a premium lenses that corrected astigmatism. But without healthcare in the USA it would have cost maybe $3000-$5000 plus the $1600, I would have gotten the surgery in Thailand, and I would have a wider choice of premium lenses to choose from.

I tend to watch my health a lot more than most people, but I didn't make any lifestyle changes.

But I do feel like I am getting old and conservative. At a garage sale I wanted to try out some skateboards, but I kept thinking how painful a knee or elbow scrape is. I have a pair of inline skates in the shed I have never used. Having healthcare won't influence me either way about giving those things a try.

I usually don't wear a helmet bike riding, a woman on a bike did loudly scold me for that, not sure what business it is of hers?

I know, I know, I am a crazy daredevil.
 junipermoon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:21:03 PM
i went uncovered from 1996 to february of this year. the coverage i have now doesn't really cover anything, and i qualified for a local volunteer medical service. they do anything i need without charging me, including the prescription i now need.

i do take all sorts of precautions, including a strict dietary and exercise regimen. i don't take riding lessons any more. and i never did drink and drive (nice to see the o.p. gave that one up!)

if you go through aca, it really doesn't cost as much as paying the fine will next year.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:30:49 PM
I did once in a while drink and drive when I was 30 or so. Never a good idea.

i do take all sorts of precautions, including a strict dietary and exercise regimen. i don't take riding lessons any more. and i never did drink and drive (nice to see the o.p. gave that one up!)

I don't really have a strict dietary regimen, but I do exercise quite a bit.

But wouldn't you do those sorts of things regardless of having healthcare or not?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:33:05 PM

I don't even drink and drive anymore, those days are over.

Wow, the other drivers on the road and pedestrians appreciate that gesture!I am sure the NYPD is also happy that we have one less drinking driver coming to use the facilities of our glorious city.j/k ..

I am going to assume you meant driving and drinking under the limit..right?

I don't drive anywhere unless I have to. My job is 10 miles away, the grocery store is right here, church is 9 miles away, that's about it.

Sadly, I think most car accidents happen close to home. I would also be careful if your bike riding. Many accidents even happen in the home.

If you don't have health insurance, does it affect your life choices? I haven't had insurance since February

Have you checked out Obama Care? I mean NJ state health exchange. You can get a policy guaranteed and subsidies if you qualify so it comes out monthly(10%) to close to what you would be paying with employer sponsored health care. You might as well because even if you get a job with health benefits it often takes min. 3 months to be enrolled. "Don't say I never helped you" :P

http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_insurance/ihcseh/shop_ihc.htm

NJ also might have low cost catastrophic insurance.

@GTO what strike is that?;P
 dragonbytes
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:38:26 PM

Sadly, I think most car accidents happen close to home. I would also be careful if your bike riding. Many accidents even happen in the home.

Car accidents often take place within just 25 miles of home.

I tried using that line with a police officer when he stopped me for reckless driving.

But, but I am 30 miles from home!!! Let me inform you, police have no sense of humor.
 Brave_one
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:48:12 PM

Most of the uninsured are in low-income working families. In 2013, nearly 8 in 10 were in a family with a worker, and nearly 6 in 10 have family income below 200% of poverty. Reflecting the more limited availability of public coverage, adults have been more likely to be uninsured than children. People of color are at higher risk of being uninsured than non-Hispanic Whites.

Wondering how many pof's have no ins too.

You do know you may pay a tax penalty if you don't have health insurance? Not for sure, it depends on your income and the state you live in.

DB lol if you care to comment, were you the one .....also way back when in stating in how to get many free benefits for your young bride, a non US citizen in that our government will cover most of the cost too here to live ? What your secrets for free coverage in manipulating the system???
 junipermoon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:51:23 PM

But wouldn't you do those sorts of things regardless of having healthcare or not?

i'd hope so.

however, i've taken things to an extreme, knocking out all grains, sugar, dairy and anything processed ~ with the exception of my zero-calorie salad dressing. and i'm doing an hour of high-impact cardio every day in addition to walking 3-5 miles and 40 minutes of ballet.

i know of no one else, insured or not, who does that.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:59:39 PM

Car accidents often take place within just 25 miles of home.

I tried using that line with a police officer when he stopped me for reckless driving.

But, but I am 30 miles from home!!! Let me inform you, police have no sense of humor.

Sure they do! They will laugh to tears after they mace you and some of the residue gets in their eyes!

What is weird is I think NJ drivers are among the worst I ever have seen and I am usually timid of driving though that state. I had to pick up my gal from Newark airport not so long ago and I think I almost got into 3 accidents(1 was truck). I am also EVOC qualified, so imagine how it must be for everyone else? lol

Sounds like not having health insurance maybe good for your health. But I am probably a little more of a risk taker than you are.

What are you trying to say here? lol

I generally buy all my prescriptions from London. One I recently bought, Clomiphene, you can buy for $15 in London, from the USA it's $60.00. All prescriptions are similar, it's about a 3X markup.

What site do you use? And any problems with customs? We used to have storefronts where you could order from Canada but they closed them a few years back.
 tallish3243
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/9/2015 3:02:54 PM
^^^^sounds a little obsessive to me Juniper. I guess only you can answer whether you feel so much better to justify such deprivation. Hint. no matter what you do, you can only add a few extra years of life.

High Impact? Not sure this is good for joints, repetitive stress syndrome, etc.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Life without health insurance