Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Cats Rule... Dogs Drool...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 1
Cats Rule... Dogs Drool...Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
And now we have the scientific proof... of what so many have known... for so long...

OK... Everybody has always known about the "dogs drool" part... but who would have guessed... that it was because all the smart ones got wiped out by the cats...

Competition from cats drove extinction of many species of ancient dogs

An international team including scientists from the Universities of Gothenburg (Sweden), São Paulo (Brazil) and Lausanne (Switzerland) analyzed over 2000 fossils and revealed that the arrival of felids to North America from Asia had a deadly impact on the diversity of the dog family, contributing to the extinction of as many as 40 of their species.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150812103827.htm
 Peas_
Msg: 2
Cats Rule... Dogs Drool...
Posted: 8/13/2015 5:26:17 PM
IMHO, cat houses stank. Don't like picking cat hair out of my eyes and nose. bleh.

"Of course this is only my opinion". New disclaimer. :-P
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/13/2015 5:57:43 PM

IMHO, cat houses stank.

In Tijuana... probably... not so much in Frankfurt...
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/13/2015 6:04:21 PM
Cats are faster, stronger and better hunters than dogs. They dominated the predator world. Until dogs started working in packs. All the things we like about dogs - loyalty, empathy, friendliness - are all aspects of living in close proximity with others.

So the nice dogs outcompeted the solitary, nasty cats.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/13/2015 6:12:45 PM

Don't like picking cat hair out of my eyes and nose

I'm so used to it, if I'm eating and feel one in my mouth, I'm like, meh, and swallow it.
I don't know if I should have just admitted that.

But yeah, I can totally see how cats could have been stealthier hunters and won the competition for food.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/13/2015 6:18:46 PM

So the nice dogs outcompeted the solitary, nasty cats.

When was the last time you saw... a non-sedated cat... drooling all over itself...?

When was the last time you saw a cat charge mindlessly after a piece of wood... over and over... instead of just looking at you and implying "Fvck you. You threw it, you go get it."
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/13/2015 6:25:34 PM
So, your measure of cats being better is that they're too stupid to play fetch?

Actually, being social animals and hunting in packs requires skills and intelligence that cats lack. Cats killed off the stupid dogs. The smart dogs forced cats to the fringes. Hell, the only reason we're able to communicate like this is because of dogs. Our species probably wouldn't have survived and almost certainly wouldn't have been able to form early agrarian societies without dogs.

Humans are just on this planet to advance the greater agenda of dogs. A dog went into space before humans. Nobody would ever send a cat into space - a sack and a rock is more efficient.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/13/2015 7:51:15 PM

So, your measure of cats being better is that they're too stupid to play fetch?

I'm not sure I would call "playing fetch"... at least the way dogs do it... to be a sign of intelligence... Just look to the teabaggers for proof... they're out there "fetching that stick" practically 24/7... and they don't even need a real stick...

Cat's... on the other hand... will "play fetch"... but only on their terms...

When they want to chase their toy... they will bring it to you... and will only do so for as long as they choose... Once they stop bringing it back of their own accord... no amount of throwing will make them do anything other than look at you as if to say "Yeah right. In your dreams"...

Nobody would ever send a cat into space

Nobody would ever come out of it in one piece for the trying... People do all sorts of dumb things... but usually think twice when the reality of multiple lacerations... comes into play...
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/13/2015 8:20:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBcVw_vvxIQ

Penelope fetching, but she hasn't done it in years. She does other tricks though.
 daynadaze
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2015 9:10:05 PM
Well I'm biased toward cats, but yeah, dog people have dog hair all over, so there's that. Also the litter box isn't suppose to be left dirty, so scooping it often and putting in new litter pretty much keeps the stink down, but dogs most often have their own smell, which is always on it's owners too, plus you can't walk in your yard unless you are very good about cleaning or take your dog to poop in someone else yard, and of course there is pee all over the grass. My point isn't to bash dogs, they are just being dogs, but to say meh about cat's littler boxes stinking, dog smell is much harder to get rid of. Really it's all about how clean the owners keep their pets.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/13/2015 9:34:27 PM

Really it's all about how clean the owners keep their pets.

I think so too.

Like my profile says, I'll probably always have a cat. But I really really look forward to maybe having a dog with my partner one day if he wants one too..or already has one.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2015 4:13:28 AM
Actually, I once had a cat who LOVED to play "fetch."

Of course, his game was more complicated than the usual throw and run stuff. One game in particular, was where he would present me with a small item to throw, and I had to toss it up on top of the refrigerator, which had various pots and pans stored on it. He would watch to see where it landed, then go to the other end of the kitchen, hop on to the counter, work his way around and across the sink to where he could leap to the top of the fridge, locate the item, carry it to the edge of the fridge and drop it to the floor, memorize THAT location, work his way BACK around the room and back to the ground, go back and retrieve the item, and carry it back to me for another round.

I had a few pretty damn clever dogs too.

As for the "it is discovered that cats killed off the dogs" story, I'm a little suspicious. I see tons of such stories, and in my experience, more of them are written precisely because it IS so much fun to say things like "Cats Rule DogsDrool," than because the research is as conclusive as they make it out to be.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/14/2015 4:17:10 AM
Cats do love to chase laser lights, that doesn't seem to bright.

Igor, your cat seemed really bright and trainable, more like a dog.

Cats might have killed off many dogs, as I assume they are talking about lions, cougars and panthers as
"cats".
 Brisco414
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/14/2015 4:54:51 AM
We had a cat that hunted the neighbors rabbits. There were many times our garage looked like a crime scene -- shredded rabbit strung all over the place.
 daynadaze
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2015 6:04:15 AM
Only some cats like to chase laser spots, but not sure how that would make them dumb. We have one who used to like the laser beam, but that didn't last long. We had a fetcher like Igor is talking about, he was very smart, he loved a certain mouse and we put it in all kinds of places, he was hunt it down and bring it back to. He had a great sense of smell. One of the cats we have now has favorite toys that she brings to you, she likes to present them to you. Our male cat loves to toss his toys into the air and catch them, he'll roll all over the floor tossing and catching. The other female likes the plastic rings from milk cartons, she'll play fetch with you if you throw if for her.

My youngest daughter had a dog for a while who flung her toys into the air and caught them, then would shake them back and forth. My granddaughter had this snake, stuffed toy snake from a zoo gift shop, that dog loved that snake. She would drag it all over the house, tossing it around, sleeping on it, it was twice as long as the dog.

Some pets have the cutest personalities.
 StarClassic
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/14/2015 6:58:24 AM

plus you can't walk in your yard unless you are very good about cleaning or take your dog to poop in someone else yard,

My dogs go to the farthest back corner of the yard. About five minutes every other day is all it takes to clean up behind them.

My father had a neighbor would let their Great Dane out and it would come over and crap in the front yard. On morning while home on leave I saw the dog leave a great big steamer not three feet from the front steps.
I went out to the garage and found an empty box which I taped shut then gathered the shovel and hoe and headed around front. Being reeeeal careful I used the hoe to roll it into the shovel and took it over and placed it about a foot and a half in front of the storm door. I then put the box clear out at the edge of the porch, knocked on the door and went to our porch to watch the show.
Not only did the storm door make a large smear of it, he stepped in it also.
 Peas_
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/14/2015 9:31:54 AM
Neighbors here are live trapping other neighbors cats due to them killing the songbirds and crawling through the dumpsters with racoons.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/14/2015 9:45:30 AM

Danadaze some cats like to chase laser spots, but not sure how that would make them dumb.

When was the last time you saw a cat charge mindlessly after a piece of wood... over and over... instead of just looking at you and implying "Fvck you. You threw it, you go get it."

I was just responding to mungjoe piece of wood post.

My dog usually chases and grabs the ball, however he doesn't often being it back to me. He will usually chase things I throw. But 1/2 the time he would rather me chase him to get it back.

The dog has an annoy habit of opening closed doors. I had to reverse the handle on a door so now you have to turn it UP to open it.

I like cats as well, but I allergic to them, one cat is usually OK, but if someone has more than 5 in the house I can't stay long.
 11qq
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/14/2015 9:50:49 AM
my Shih Tzu Ozzy loved me more than any woman ever did or could.

he's been gone for almost 3 years now but I feel blessed by God above that
he allowed me 15 years with this incredible being.

I hope there is such a thing as the Rainbow Bridge where I can be with him again.

I miss him every single day of my life.
 CharminC
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/14/2015 10:29:37 AM
Ever since a pet cat ran over my nose leaving a nice wee scar while chasing his sister in heat, I've NOT liked them.

Dogs
Big dogs
Big strong well trained lovable dogs
Oh how I miss having one

*stifles a tear
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2015 12:00:57 PM
Actually the feline species is second after primates in intelligence in certain categories. Cats are much smarter than dogs, they actually can learn by WATCHING us. That is why you have to hide food from them because they can figure out how to open cabinets from watching us. They also learn to use a toilet seat same way.

Of all the mammals, a cat’s brain has memory and emotional mapping most comparable to our own. Cats use tools, figure out mazes and puzzle boxes, and display long term memories, especially those involving spatial configurations, their specialty.

Most people I have seen who insult cats do so because they don't understand them .They think a cat who refuses to learn tricks is dumb but being solitary predators they have NO reason to do what we ask. Dogs mostly full fill their role in the Dominant Submissive society and therefore there is a control structure.

I might be a bit bias since I helped found and run a well known non profit rescue/TNR/ shelter that deals with cats. I have seen them at their best and worst.

My wife actually once sent a report refuting something scientists claimed. Namely that only primates understand they are seeing a reflection in the mirror. Our cat (kitty)was observed using a wall mirror to view moving objects for playing purposes. He would watch the object in the mirror and spring at it where it really was. He knew it was a reflection.

As for fetch, actually some cats do learn to play fetch. Cats don't do things they don't want to do so they need motivation. If you reward the cat he will even do things he doesn't want to do. Slava a famous Russian performer is VERY good at training cats!

I have seen Ocicat's play fetch with regularity. They tend to be very playful and needy when it comes to play so they are easier to train to do what humans want. But American short hairs are also ok at it.

For those of you who don't like cats because you can't walk them , that is untrue. Where I live, many (Russians Usually) walk cats on harnesses.

As for the poster who says it takes skill to hunt in packs the way dogs do, you are right. Lions actually do so, and I have seen feral cat colonies where the members have TEAMED up after a non cat outsider, namely Raccoon's, to get the upper hand. Coordinated attacks and all. They are just so adaptable sometimes.

Again, I work with these animals and see them in their city habitats at night(we feed our colonies almost daily at night)..impressive shit!

MungoJoe if you ever see a non sedated cat drooling over itself it probably has dental issues! lol
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 22
Dogs Poop Along North-South Magnetic Lines
Posted: 8/14/2015 12:10:51 PM
At least with a dog, you get a 50/50 chance of learning where North is when it defecates.

http://www.livescience.com/42317-dogs-poop-along-north-south-magnetic-lines.html
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/14/2015 12:40:21 PM

I like cats as well, but I allergic to them, one cat is usually OK, but if someone has more than 5 in the house I can't stay long.

Well... it is a good idea to have more than one cat in the house...

Cats make good "personal defense weapons"... Ever have someone throw a cat at you...?

If you only have one... it's a one-shot deal... with more... you can reload...
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2015 12:43:14 PM
^^^Is that before or after he eats his own shit or other's shit, and licks you in the face? :P
 CharminC
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/14/2015 1:38:09 PM
Cats make good "personal defense weapons"... Ever have someone throw a cat at you...?

^^^^^^
<-------- The Kitty named Charminc

*cue James Bond music
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Cats Rule... Dogs Drool...