Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Reporting abuse in a message?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Reporting abuse in a message?Page 1 of 1    
Is it allowable to report someone for sending abusive emails? Short, quick story, I sent a message to someone, and according to the Contact History page, today is the first time I've ever contacted them.

The reply involved first some confusion, followed by abusive language, a claim that I'd been in touch with them before, then a block (I'm guessing the block had to be while I was reading their messages, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to initially see them - obviously I can't see them at all now)

All well and good, and frankly, the block is a blessing more than anything at this point (except, of course, that I can't block them). The abusive language, however, DID bother me.

I was initially going to report the user (something I've never had to do until now), filled out the form, and was about to click, when I then belatedly noted the following statement on the top of the screen in red:

ATTENTION!
You can only report users based on the content of their Plentyoffish profile.
Reporting users because you don't like them or have silly disputes with them will result in your account being deleted.

So, does that mean anything abusive has to be in their profile itself, and any invective sent in messages is, in essence, an "out of our jurisdiction" sort of thing? Or reporting abusive messages being sent would result in MY account being deleted because I'm reporting abuse that was not in their profile?
 AussieNancy
Msg: 2
Reporting abuse in a message?
Posted: 9/6/2015 5:48:08 PM

Is it allowable to report someone for sending abusive emails?

Absolutely it is. You'll notice in red font to the right of the inbox page is says "Report this message for inappropriate content."
As you stated you filled out the little form which has the drop down menu. Click on the "rude or inappropriate" or the "Sexual content" option and it comes up with "type any extra info .....etc" Simply add extra info if you wish but
the proof of the abusive message is right there in front of them. You will NOT get into trouble. Don't worry. I've reported a small number of sexually explicit messages and the offending user was quickly removed.

I don't know why that warning comes up if youre reporting their message so just ignore that.
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2015 6:33:11 PM
Nancy,

Ah, I didn't get to do that, as the abusive user in question had fired off some messages (to which I foolishly replied to two, the first being in confusion), and then blocked me. Ergo, I didn't get to use the "report this message for inappropriate content" link, but was rather trying to report them via the "Report User" on their profile, thus the particular warning that I saw, which made me hesitate.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/6/2015 6:36:10 PM
Odds are is that she had a bad experience with another guy here. She probably thought you were him with a different profile. Sucks that you couldn't explain it, but it's just a bad mixup.

Don't bother reporting her. If the content of the message was that bad, it's likely that what prompted it was worse.
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2015 7:36:39 PM
LOL, on THAT note, I can assure you that what prompted it (from me, not sure about whomever she was thinking of) was NOT remotely bad.

It's a "shaking my head" kind of thing, but I don't think I've ever been called "psychotic" by the second sentence before. They do say that life is full of new experiences, though...
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/6/2015 8:01:05 PM
I wasn't in any way trying to imply that you prompted a vicious response in your first message.

I meant that the guy she thought you were had probably been making new profiles and messaging her over and over. It happens. Stick around in the forums and you'll find women complaining about just that.
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2015 5:40:36 PM
Ah, gotcha!

On a slightly different note, even though I'm blocked, this user keeps showing up in the "Contacts Online" section with the green dots on my Inbox. Is this a glitch, or is there some particular step I'm supposed to take?
 gcdeb
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2015 8:19:22 PM
That's weird. Usually blocking makes the green dot go away. Try logging out and back in again.

BTW, you might be able to block her. Go to her profile and see if you can add her as a favourite. From there you can click on 'send a message' (or whatever the option is) and then you will see the block option. Block her and then remove her from your Favourites List. (Not 100% sure this will work).

My tried and true method for dealing with people who block me is to shrug my shoulders and promptly forget they ever even existed.
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2015 10:28:23 AM
Yep, I would've assumed the green dot would go away. I'm mostly connected via my PC, and I shut my phone off every night (though I think it connects when the phone is on, without any action on my part).

Anyhoo, I gave your suggested method a shot, but since I'm blocked, I couldn't favorite the woman in question. However, since it's not a big deal (just a puzzling one), I'm going to go with your tried and true method!
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Reporting abuse in a message?