Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The lies!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 1
The lies!Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
So the highlight of my Saturday night was what I believe was a booty call from an old friend from college, who happens to be married. I'm thinking, well it can't really get much worse than this - surely there has got to be someone suitable to date on that site. So I'm looking at profiles, not just for my amusement, but to see what there are for prospects in my region. Oh my gawd! The lies are everywhere! Way worse than before. Has anybody else noticed this - that lying on profiles seems to be the rule rather than the exception now?
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 2
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 6:09:17 PM
Men, are liers. We lie all the time. We cannot say anything but lies. Lying is necessary at all times. We lie every day going to work. The speed limit is 55 yet we cheat and go 65. It doesn't matter that people are still passing us. That is a lie. At work they as men. "How was your weekend." And men lie. "It was awesome. I took my dog to the park." In his mind he is thinking that he had to hold that nasty, warm bag of his dog poop for two hours, until he could find a proper place to disposed.
His ex-girlfriend called him and ask him how are you doing. In his head he said why in the fvck are you calling me, when I miss your sweat, I miss your (unmentionables) and I want to lick them all. But instead he lies. The poor idiot lies, because if he says something else, she will escalates to the point that she points out why she dumped his Ass.

Men lie a lot. Why? Survival. A guy meets a girl, he goes home and practically has to pinch himself because she is so fvcking gorgeous that he wonders why in the hell she wanted to go out with him. So he remembers, the last time he felt this way and how he drooled all over the girl and practically drove her away. So he slows down and lies and waits until he feels the same feeling coming from her.

Yes. Men are all fvcking lairs.

**stards!!
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 3
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 7:02:17 PM
Oh dear. Evidently this is a redundant subject :( Now I feel like an infidel. If I vote to delete this thread too, maybe I'll still go to heaven.
 Walts
Msg: 4
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 7:05:21 PM

Has anybody else noticed this - that lying on profiles seems to be the rule rather than the exception now?

I've noticed that lies, fibs and deception has evolved in our North American society for the last 10 -15 years to level that it is considered "normal".
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 5
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 7:13:58 PM
^ But WHY?? Don't people want to have credibility? I'd like to hear from the liars (haha).
 Walts
Msg: 6
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 7:20:17 PM

But WHY?? Don't people want to have credibility?

Because there seems to be a reward for those lies. Or, no punishment for them. One or the other, or both.

Who gets the "management" jobs of today? True leaders? Yeah, no. Bum kissers do though. Bum kissing is a lie.

How about our very own PM? This last week, he is being "caught" in outright lies, and yet, with his straight, ignorant, and arrogant stare, he sticks to his bullshiat.

The possible rewards now outweigh any punishment we can set forth. Basic math.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 7
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 7:22:42 PM
I've looked at profiles, but I haven't noticed many obvious lies. Of course I'm looking at women's profiles.

How can you tell from their profile that they are lying? More importantly, how can I lie here and get away with it?
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 8
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 7:24:58 PM
I think Walts is absolutely correct.

But WHY?? Don't people want to have credibility?

My theory is that we have become a Machiavellian, "me, me me" society, where our wants and needs trump all else. As long as we get what we want, the method we use to get it is of little consequence. Who cares if it hurts someone else? As long as the end result is that we are happy / successful / wealthy / powerful, etc., what it does to others is not important. They should have gotten theirs when they could have.

It's awful, what has become acceptable behaviour.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 9
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 7:40:09 PM
^ But don't people need to feel respected? Isn't that an important part of love/belonging? I rather like knowing that people trust me - that does it for me, big time.

How can you tell from their profile that they are lying?

The grotesquely huge lies about age are pretty easy to spot. (It might be different with a lot of women's profiles - I've heard over and over again that women tend to post really old pictures, so they can probably get away with saying they're younger than they are. I haven't noticed that with men. Except for you, of course ;) )Plus the discrepancies between profession and education.

More importantly, how can I lie here and get away with it?

I do believe there's already a thread about that.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 10
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 8:14:31 PM
Be honest-get no dates. That's how it works. I'm walking, living proof of it.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 11
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 8:28:05 PM

The grotesquely huge lies about age are pretty easy to spot. (It might be different with a lot of women's profiles - I've heard over and over again that women tend to post really old pictures, so they can probably get away with saying they're younger than they are. I haven't noticed that with men. Except for you, of course ;) )Plus the discrepancies between profession and education.

Lies about Age.... That was predicted, when the Big Fish made the email rule. +-14 years.. People lied enough before that rule... If this profile gets Tanked, I might just chop 5-10 years off my age, in the next profile....

I had a 29yo Woman email me on another site... I asked Her, why She was emailing an old guy like Me.... She said She liked older Guys, but not some 60+ older.... I replied, She must not have read My profile, that I'll be 62 soon... She said I didn't look old in My picture... I was 58 in that pic... My main pic here was taken 09/2012, I turned 59 a month later...

Job vs Education.... I was a Big Rig Owner/Operator for 18 years... So We owned the Company & my Wife did the Books....
I could have called myself the President or CEO of the Company & She could have called herself the CFO....

Would those be Real Lies or just stretching the Truth?

I think the college course in "How to lie to women to get what you want" is super, super busy.

I've been Lied to by Women, to get what they wanted.... Most the time, they didn't need to lie, to get it, but they did.....

I've seen Women's Profiles, who claim a Masters Degree & say they're a Hair Stylist or such... They very well may be... I know someone with a JD, who got tired of the Rat Race & Bought His own Big Rig.... He says His life is better now, than then...
 sealady111
Msg: 12
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 8:30:49 PM
YES.
Lots and lots of lies.
Those lies and more are the reason for my break.
I often find out about the lies after a couple of messages, phone conversation or a few dates.
Age, employment, weight, living situation, marital status etc etc etc

Had a booty call this weekend.
Yes had sex with him once then no contact for a year.

Have seen him once for dinner 6 months later.
We had dinner and he asked me back to his place.
I said not this time, but I would like to see him again.

Then nothing for another 6 months till last weekend.
I said I was busy.

Pity he is such a charming companion. We have had about 10 dates over the years.

And yes. I have had married and otherwise attached men approach me for sex.

I think the college course in "How to lie to women to get what you want" is super, super busy.

Blue eyes.
On here someone who mows lawns is a CEO.
At least it is a job.

I've been Lied to by Women, to get what they wanted.... Most the time, they didn't need to lie, to get it, but they did.....

Quite right. No need to lie.

p.s. Mr Booty call has on his profile that he is very busy with work and his family but can make time.
No he can't.
Even our one intimate encounter I had to leave before his kids came home.
I did not realise there was a time limit. Sheesh.

NJgirl116
Msg: 13
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 8:54:40 PM
IG, you've been really edgy lately. Would you like to talk about it?
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 14
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 10:14:04 PM

IG, you've been really edgy lately. Would you like to talk about it?

Holly crap, are we drinking buddies now? Would you buy me a drink?

Relationships are not easy. Even when you are in love. Even when they are in love. Even when I am an a ss hole. And she is stubbornly right. My therapist told me something awesome. And it was, that no matter what, do not go inward and the hold in what you do not like. We've had some disagreements, she was very angry at me. I didn't get it at first, but she was fvcking right. But she took it further. I did not want to fight, so I wrote her a letter and sent it to her. She liked it. We were able to talk, share. Agree and disagree, but above all communicate.

Then we went out with the kids to some national park. It was fun, but we had an argument and disagreement. This time I told her that I held my ground. We disagreed, but agreed to disagree. We then went to a Cajun restaurant and had po boys, Gumbo and too much fried crap. We don't usually eat fry so it unset all our stomachs. But we were in agreement to where we are going.

We are good. We had an intense weekend. Where are all the forumnites that think my relationship is fiction?
And hey, NJ, I'd buy you a drink and you do not have to reciprocate at all.
 Seki1949
Msg: 15
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 10:27:30 PM
"Where are all the forumnites that think my relationship is fiction?"

People are never 'that', they are 'who'.

'Where are all the forumnites who think my relationship is fiction?"

There, all fixed. You're welcomed. No charge.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 16
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 10:32:28 PM
Thank you, IG. I can only accept one (my second one) because two are my limit for the night. That's a $5.00 German hefeweizen. You should try it.

Sounds like you're hardheaded...she may be too... me too. You guys sound like you two know how to work through things. Things come around. That's really good news.

I'm listening to a song by Sizzla "Ghetto Revolution", relaxing tune, here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRH4I9PtTQs "Only Love Is the Solution!"
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 17
The lies!
Posted: 9/13/2015 11:35:17 PM
Everybody lies. The worst are people who think they don't.
 geekgrrrl
Msg: 18
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/14/2015 12:13:24 AM
I wish they'd remove the +-14 years rule. If all I'm going to get is propositioned I'd rather young men who are up to the task...lol
 sealady111
Msg: 19
The lies!
Posted: 9/14/2015 12:47:33 AM
^^^ Good point.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 20
The lies!
Posted: 9/14/2015 12:52:07 AM

Everybody lies. The worst are people who think they don't.

Oh, you are a poo head - I was hoping it wouldn't come to this: I don't know that everyone in the world "lies" per se, but granted (as hard as it is to swallow), there are no "honest" and "dishonest" people. (This is trait theory - honesty isn't a "trait" like say, introversion/extroversion because it doesn't stay at all consistent in a person in different circumstances - one person will cheat at a game, another will steal, another will withhold information for any number of reasons, etc, etc.) BUT I was expressing alarm at how many people were knowingly and intentionally lying about measurable, black and white facts. (Not that those lies are morally inferior to any other type of dishonesty. But they are the sort that cause a person to lose credibility with others, I'm thinking.)

Better? :)
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 21
The lies!
Posted: 9/14/2015 1:52:58 AM
Oh, you are a poo head -
---------------

Yeah, I know. For some reason, lots of people like that about me.

---------
I was hoping it wouldn't come to this: I don't know that everyone in the world "lies" per se, but granted (as hard as it is to swallow), there are no "honest" and "dishonest" people. (This is trait theory - honesty isn't a "trait" like say, introversion/extroversion because it doesn't stay at all consistent in a person in different circumstances - one person will cheat at a game, another will steal, another will withhold information for any number of reasons, etc, etc.)
-----------
But what really matters is what people do lie about. Assuming that someone will cheat because he added an inch to his height is just stupid, yet that sort of idiotic reasoning appears throughout the forums. People who think like that end up with the same results employers get by scanning resumes for keywords. Schlock.

------------
BUT I was expressing alarm at how many people were knowingly and intentionally lying about measurable, black and white facts. (Not that those lies are morally inferior to any other type of dishonesty. But they are the sort that cause a person to lose credibility with others, I'm thinking.)
--------------
Such as? Exactly which black and white things can be lied about and obviously be a lie, just from reading a profile? Can you tell if a person is lying about height, or age or being divorced by divining it from a profile? I assume people hype themselves, so I determine credibility by talking to someone until I get a sense of what the person is about. Since everyone will lie about something, I want to know what a person will lie about and why before I determine whether someone will lie about something important.
 sealady111
Msg: 22
The lies!
Posted: 9/14/2015 2:49:47 AM
Is it a lie when I say I am a natural blonde because it says natural on the packet?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 23
The lies!
Posted: 9/14/2015 5:39:08 AM
I agree that everybody lies. Some stick to little fibs like we told as children.. others just build upon them til they are Moby****whoppers. On profiles they lie to get what they want and they will always have some rationale for said lies. Experience has taught me it isn't worth calling out people on their crap.. the long stories of why more painful than home dentistry.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 24
The lies!
Posted: 9/14/2015 7:01:59 AM

'Where are all the forumnites who think my relationship is fiction?"

There, all fixed. You're welcomed. No charge.

Well, thank you Seki, that is so kind of you.

NJ, yes we are both kind of pig headed and head strong. Once she gets mad, she may as well sleep it off because she will not change. So I wrote her a letter. Later on she came out of the room and told me that she read the letter, then we went outside and talked and everything was then fine. Dating is easy compared to relationships. But I prefer so much better to be in a relationship. And honestly, compared with the last long relationship I had where we fought practically every day, we are doing very well and the adjustments are necessary. One thing that is not that easy is realizing that in a particular situation you are at fault and then having the balls to say you are sorry and to change that ever that behavior was.
 brianmontreal79
Msg: 25
view profile
History
The lies!
Posted: 9/14/2015 7:24:15 AM
Profile lies

I saw a woman’s profile on here a few months ago with her education listed as Masters Level and working in education.
I know for a fact, her profile is not correct. But what can you do?

We met about six years ago and she is one of my LinkedIN connections.
She actually has a PhD and is a university department head.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The lies!