Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Profile Photos      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mikkimoto123
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Profile PhotosPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
In what universe is it a good idea to put up profile photos that: are a group shot with no indication of which one you are; pictures with another woman who may be an ex, your sister, a friend from work etc.; blurred photos that have little to no definition; images in deep shade or shadow (this also includes those involving a giant hat); pictures of your dog, your horse, your Harley or other possession; "skin" shots of you with no shirt on (after your 20's or possibly 30's that isn't a good look and even if you're fit and in great shape, it's just not appropriate in a profile and of course I'm referring to men's profiles...)?

Honestly, just post a photo of you in a clean sport shirt or even a T-shirt. A full body shot is appreciated for obvious reasons and be sure one of the photos shows your face as that's where the first impression comes from for most women. This may all seem very obvious but you'd be surprised how many profiles seem to deliberately fail these basics.
 Older_N_Wiser
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/14/2015 12:58:28 PM
To me, the worst is when they have children in all their photos with them. Makes me wonder if they are pediphiles, or just not realizing the risk that can put those children in.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 3
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/14/2015 1:22:44 PM
You know what the site RULES state as far as pics? If all those rules were followed... most pics would vanish. What I do is look for photos I LIKE and I ignore the rest and I highly recommend it.

People are allowed E I G H T photos for a reason. OR the option to not use ANY. It's a personal choice plain and simple

Did you know that ALLLLL the folks with no photos are scumbags of some sort? They have to be right? There is simply NO POSSIBLE REASON for folks to not have photos up.

Did you know that anyone NOT SMILING in their photo/s have rotten teeth? Yup. Go check out the PR Forum.

Do you have any idea what would happen to these Forums if RULE # 2 was NOT followed? Precisely what the Forums have become and THE reason that almost half the "regulars" have join dates sometime during this year. [It shows at the top of the page EVERY TIME one is going to post an answer. VVVVV

*****2. No using the forums as a Chat if you wish to chat or contact someone use the messaging system.*****

The rules then go on to say .... "Not following the rules will result in you being banned and your account deleted."
 spot4username
Msg: 4
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/14/2015 1:35:08 PM
If I don't care for the photos or content of a profile I just click next.

I don't concern myself with why an individual posts whatever they post.

Easy peasy.
 hemingway234
Msg: 5
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/14/2015 2:45:33 PM
All the more reason to keep it to only one or two pics........that would keep a lot of people out of trouble.

I personally don't like the idea of having a lot of my pictures floating all over the web, so I uses one. There are picture/profile brokers who steal pics and sell them to dating startups so those new business can look like they have a lot of customers - to fill the shelves, so to speak.

I like to joke that these dating sites look like Spacebook.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 6
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/14/2015 2:51:43 PM
So what! If this subject is redundant. What do the forumnites prefer, to dig up threads that started in 2005 and are 76 pages long? If we want the forums to die a slow death, let's keep deleting everyone that post anything new. And remember, everything is already redundant and has been posted before.

So, op, welcome to the forums.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 7
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/14/2015 3:07:59 PM

So what! If this subject is redundant. What do the forumnites prefer, to dig up threads that started in 2005 and are 76 pages long? If we want the forums to die a slow death, let's keep deleting everyone that post anything new. And remember, everything is already redundant and has been posted before.

The reason POF gave for that rule is the Forums are suppose to be Archival.. By adding to the Thread started in 2005, is to show the changes in attitudes about the subject, over the Years... If People always just started a new thread, then the Forums lose the Archival Feature, POF wanted in these Threads..... This is POF's Circus, and Those are Their Rules....

ETA: If you don't like POF's rules, you're free, to start your own Circus, and make different rules for your Monkeys........
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 8
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/14/2015 4:15:56 PM
This may all seem very obvious but you'd be surprised how many profiles seem to deliberately fail these basics.
---------------
If everyone who committed some offense against Miss Manners went dateless, nobody in the world would ever get a date. However, in the real world, I think overlooking a few lapses in social graces will not send you spiraling down the path to decadence and debauchery.

--------
As an aside, I was one of the clueless over 40 who used a shirtless pic on okc. However, since my ability to get dates went way way up, I decided to just let the prim and proper be mortified.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 9
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/14/2015 8:45:57 PM

mikkimoto123 :
In what universe is it a good idea to put up profile photos that: are a group shot with no indication of which one you are; pictures with another woman who may be an ex, your sister, a friend from work etc.; blurred photos that have little to no definition; images in deep shade or shadow (this also includes those involving a giant hat); pictures of your dog, your horse, your Harley or other possession.

It is a matter of preference. They can post any picture they prefer, it is up to me to ignore them.
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 10
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/14/2015 8:46:06 PM
It's their profile and their choice to post what they way...Im not sure why it effects you --most are showing things that are important to them and it's their way of telling you that if you don't like for instance motorcycles then you realize you won't be a match for the guy on the Harley...I have no problem if a man has other women in his pictures--some people are just friends but even if that friend is his ex it doesn't really matter cause they are an ex. Dogs are great conversation starters -- and I completely disagree about men over 30 not looking good without a shirt--but living in Tampa most are beach pictures and most look very good without a shirt ><

Maybe since it is such a big concern to you--you should start a profile picture service and write to all the men who's profile picture you dislike and offer to take a new one for them ...charge them a little big to cover your gas and time.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 11
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/14/2015 10:54:17 PM

......your Harley.....

BF had a picture of himself on his Harley, on his profile.

.........a match for the guy on the Harley.

Yes exactly! LOL
My attraction to a man visually was the "picture of the man as a whole".
Such as, WHO is he? What makes him tick? What does he like to do when having fun? Where does he enjoy being?
Pets-friends-adult family member/s -Big boy toys-sports-travel destinations. ALL good!
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/15/2015 4:17:44 AM
These men just do not have any real commonsense and that is why they don't do well in real life and have to come here to try their luck, along with thousands of other similar no hopers. lol!

I agree the pics with the children is just plain stupid. They are of course always "beautiful" and it is just an ego trip to show what they have produced. It should be an automatic no no. None of these children gave permission to be on a dating site to be exposed to who knows who.
 FinanceWizzard
Msg: 13
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/15/2015 5:32:46 AM
All I want to see in a profile is their face. I don'care if she is smiling or not. I don't want to see her children, here friends, her having fun on the beach or dancing the night away in a club. If I don't like her face, I'm not going to like anything else !
 daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/15/2015 8:32:31 AM
Profiles are personal to the person's unique choices. It doesn't matter what I like or don't like about someone's profile, what matters is if they like it, if it represents them as an individual and if it gets the responses that person hopes for. If while browsing profiles, if you see some you don't like, move on, no one is required to set up their profile to suit you. ;-)
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 15
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/15/2015 6:31:58 PM
what about the ones where they are all serious and frowning?
what about the ones taken in a public toilet?
no I do not care for ones that include the ex girlfriend or wife or his minor children
 zonavar68
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/16/2015 2:09:34 AM
Soooooo many profiles on dating/hookup sites such as Tinder are full of pics of someone's children, or landscapes, or animals, all because the people are not even checking what Tinder picks up out of their FB profiles! I got rid of Tinder because even though it claims to show people near you, more than half the profiles don't have any pics or the pics aren't of the person in question!

WTF?

I know there are a lot of single mums who use dating sites , particularly this one, and that's really great. However I do agree that profiles showing pics of children on their own, or pics where children are 'prominently featured' and the focus of the pic is not the 'adult' parent, does little or nothing to attract a guy (or maybe a girl), and really just screams of 'desperate single mum wants sugar daddy type husband to marry'. And that's an uber-massive turn-off when that's the overwhelming crux of someone's profile presentation.

I love kids, have three of my own (who don't live with me), and I think a really wonderful single mum who loves her children and doesn't make them the main thrust of her profile but balances things out nicely, is going to be a much better candidate for trying to initiate contact with as it won't be all about getting a new dad for the children.
 Cdan1957
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/16/2015 7:11:14 AM
In the world of online dating you have a small amount of information (the profile) in order to make a decision (to meet). To be honest, If I were looking, I would prefer no restrictions on what was posted on the a profile. I believe what they decide to post is as important as to the substance of what they posted. In a previous post the poster said her bf was riding a Harley. He likes to ride, it is important enough in his life where he felt he needed to show it in his profile. It is also important in her life...hence a connection. Every thing that is posted or not posted says something about the profile.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 18
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/16/2015 7:19:05 AM
I would love to use a Bitstrip cartoon picture on my profile, but they are not allowed.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 19
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/16/2015 7:47:30 AM

The reason POF gave for that rule is the Forums are suppose to be Archival.. By adding to the Thread started in 2005, is to show the changes in attitudes about the subject, over the Years... If People always just started a new thread, then the Forums lose the Archival Feature, POF wanted in these Threads..... This is POF's Circus, and Those are Their Rules....

ETA: If you don't like POF's rules, you're free, to start your own Circus, and make different rules for your Monkeys........

In theory you're absolutely right. In practice, it becomes a 45 page long drivel about nothing. And when it gets revived, people comment on the Original Post, not the post that revived the damn thing to begin with.

I have no issues with the rules, just the way forumnites use it to delete half of everything that does not conform to whatever narrow interpretation of reality they may have. So the rules are fine, how WE use it can be fine tuned.

And by the way, I do not have MY monkeys....only Gorillas and Orangutans. Monkeys are messy and taste like chicken.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 21
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/16/2015 2:04:49 PM

And by the way, I do not have MY monkeys....only Gorillas and Orangutans. Monkeys are messy and taste like chicken.

I thought everything ultimately ended up tasting like chicken?
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 22
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/16/2015 4:22:42 PM
Nope. Some things taste more like tuna.
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 23
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/16/2015 5:14:34 PM

Nope. Some things taste more like tuna.

Don't wanna know where your mouth has been >< :P
 Seki1949
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/16/2015 9:58:32 PM
Orangutans taste a lot like Pandas.
 StarClassic
Msg: 25
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/17/2015 6:28:58 AM
Daggnabbit! You folks talkin' food is makin' me hungry 'nough to chew the butt outt'a a roadkill skunk.
 baconflavoredbacon
Msg: 26
Profile Photos
Posted: 9/17/2015 8:53:35 AM
^^you can cure it up and make bacon from it. Not all is lost.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Profile Photos