Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Just a general observation      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 1
Just a general observationPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've read some folks complaining that there are not enough meaty threads, not enough substance to discuss. I also noticed that lots of threads, including some serious discussions, get derailed by some people "using them as a chat/flirt section".

I did a search and found a comment by a moderator where he says "the forums are not for flirting or chatting, but rather for discussion".

Don't shoot the messenger, this is simply an observation.

Your thoughts?
 gtomustang
Msg: 2
about a major problem, deserving corporal punishment
Posted: 9/20/2015 4:14:17 PM
the last forum I was at, devolved into that, as well. And yes, I have observed posts that I felt were answered on the first page, and then went on regardless. As to the "Why does this happen?", its human need to converse. stick two strangers in a waiting room, eventually they start talking. people can't walk by a puddle frozen into ice without wanting to jump on it, and leave their mark on the world. People want to throw in their two cents, even if its worth only a penny for their thoughts.

and of course, I will count myself as one of those people.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 3
Just a general observation
Posted: 9/20/2015 4:40:23 PM
^^ No, the chatting and flirting are off topic, and usually all the same people. If there’s a need to chat or flirt so bad, that’s what private inboxes are for. Most of the threads I’ve clicked on today are boring back and forth chats.

May be because there are only about 20 people left posting.

PS. Changing the thread title is annoying, too, and I think, also against forum rules.
 daynadaze
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2015 4:51:10 PM
I remember when a mod would jump right on that, unless of course the mod liked the one flirting, then you'd just have to put up with it, page after page. Boring. I really dislike when someone uses flirting as a way to bash others, as though that is cute as can be. But a lot of people feel entitled to do as they want, they are used to getting their way by flirting.

I think a lot of the problem right now, and before with mods, is that a serious subject might get some passionate comments, and then those people might get banned. So what are we left with?
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/20/2015 7:04:32 PM

gtomustang :
the last forum I was at, devolved into that, as well.

I think it is bound to happen when people have social interactions with each other on a regular basis.

SunshineGirl__ :
No, the chatting and flirting are off topic, and usually all the same people. If there’s a need to chat or flirt so bad, that’s what private inboxes are for. Most of the threads I’ve clicked on today are boring back and forth chats.

I saw it too.

daynadaze :
I remember when a mod would jump right on that, unless of course the mod liked the one flirting, then you'd just have to put up with it, page after page. Boring. I really dislike when someone uses flirting as a way to bash others, as though that is cute as can be. But a lot of people feel entitled to do as they want, they are used to getting their way by flirting.

From what I've read in other threads, some mods were very strict and didn't allowed flirting during serious discussions.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/20/2015 7:08:17 PM
It kind of depended on the thread too.

Years ago the Profile Reviews were a riot of off topic chatting. For some reason they decided to let that go.
 8inscrew
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/20/2015 7:12:22 PM
We are largely self moderate.

I love words like that... they are like round-a-bouts.
You turn your left blinker on and turn right.

I voted to not delete.

I also think that much of the meat has been deleted or disgusted into submission.

It's the same sad story we've heard a thousand times.

The list goes on. Ziggy pockets.

we have "groups".
Like an sti.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is hushed up pdq.

Edit. Love the new pic dayna.
Hope they don't think we are cagers, in mean in cahoots.
Laughs... I gotta not one thing against sport. Bikes.
Good thread,. Intention.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/20/2015 7:14:57 PM

"the forums are not for flirting or chatting, but rather for discussion".

Sounds like the kind of forum I'd leave immediately.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2015 7:20:57 PM
^^so OP would you say that people who are FLIRTING deserve to be deleted? Interesting thread subject!
 NJgirl116
Msg: 10
protocol is for office emails
Posted: 9/20/2015 7:27:35 PM
OP if you're interested in substance there are tons of awesome old threads to look up and read. Today I looked at one really old thread where the female poster who had read "The Game" gave her review of the book. Cool reading after our Daters thread.
 8inscrew
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/20/2015 7:28:22 PM
Decorum not deletion.

Not silence.

Platform.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/20/2015 8:18:43 PM

adventurejoe70 :
so OP would you say that people who are FLIRTING deserve to be deleted? Interesting thread subject!

People should not be deleted, but as you can see happening all over the forum, people are getting removed just for having a difference of opinion.

Now, if you look at the link I included on my initial post, it appears that those that ran this place in the past were running a tight ship.

NJgirl116 :
OP if you're interested in substance there are tons of awesome old threads to look up and read.

I know. On weekends I am barely here, as I'm trying to enjoy the warm weather riding my bike. During the week I usually login to read a couple of threads when I have free time in the office.

And on my free time I spend time with family, loved ones and managing my two personal blogs.
 Cycling99
Msg: 13
Just another general observation
Posted: 9/20/2015 11:50:25 PM
The forums have been at times, just a dumping ground for passing time, for the non-educated, addicted, who believe their lack of credentials, certificates, completed academic education or experience in the field of counseling DOES NOT matter at all: that's what it is today. After a life of poor decision making, with little to nothing to show, they will "advice" others in a similar situation, believing being able to write equals the years, effort, credentials, completed academic education of people who actually make a living of counseling others.

They will, therefore, hijack any thread with meaningless discussions of nothingness, like back at high school, when they peaked! They keep reminiscing their glorious high-school days and behaving just like back in the day. Difference is, they are adults now, and it's just creepy and sad now!

But, to all those who will feel insulted-insecure, don't let that stop you from expressing your opinions.

This is, also, just a general observation...
 Walts
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/21/2015 4:48:13 AM

After a life of poor decision making, with little to nothing to show, they will "advice" others in a similar situation, believing being able to write equals the years, effort, credentials, completed academic education of people who actually make a living of counseling others

You mean like those professional "life coaches"???????

It's never been about where you learn, it's about what you learn and how you use that knowledge that really matters. Our society has decided that the diploma holders, from university and colleges that have turned into business', are more important than the knowledge itself. As in, I know quite a few people that went to school to "become" a teacher. Yet, I wouldn't want them training a dog, let alone be in charge of educating our youth. But, they do have that education.
 Cycling99
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/21/2015 10:32:39 AM
"What are the Education Requirements for a Career as a Life Coach?

There are typically no strict education requirements for starting a life coaching career. Depending on where you live, you may not even be required to be certified or licensed to start a life coaching career."

Not even near my point... "life coach" does not always require a college education. And, as with any human being, some are good, some are not: regardless of the "view" that "we" are all "the same"... "we" are not!

The point is the quality of the people that post in the forums... and you are showing my point by "hijacking" the thread from the topic: the quality of the threads and observation about it.

LL wrote "I also noticed that lots of threads, including some serious discussions, get derailed by some people..."

You could make a different thread regarding your topic, if you can/want/are not agoraphobic.
 nukedking
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/21/2015 10:57:20 AM

People should not be deleted, but as you can see happening all over the forum, people are getting removed just for having a difference of opinion.

You are finally getting it. It took long enough :-)

They will, therefore, hijack any thread with meaningless discussions of nothingness, like back at high school, when they peaked! They keep reminiscing their glorious high-school days and behaving just like back in the day. Difference is, they are adults now, and it's just creepy and sad now!

Gosh somebody is very angry with their life. Cheer up. Things will get better :-)

^^so OP would you say that people who are FLIRTING deserve to be deleted? Interesting thread subject!

Good natured flirting hurting nobody and people are being deleted? Apparently. It’s a sickness the terminators suffer.
 flirtingwithdisaster55
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/21/2015 11:25:47 AM
I just read a thread about people derailing/hijacking threads, changing topics, etc. I've been gone for a while and noticed this in a lot of threads. If I click on a thread because I'm interested in the subject matter, I don't want to get halfway through it and find someone's recipe for fried chicken because the thread has been hijacked so many times.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/21/2015 12:06:46 PM
Back when I first started posting in the forums, you could be banned
or limited in posting if you chatted, flirted or hijacked a thread.

Doesn't happen without the mods about I guess?

Lots of chatty people here.
Myself included at times.
 Cycling99
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/21/2015 12:35:43 PM
LL, I tried to bring it back to topic... and failed miserably!

1. daysss is going back to college to finish(this time);
2. King is "king" of something; knowledge is not it
3. Disaster and Boo are just gonna keep adopting cats
4. Walts is probably gonna open a thread about people's education and their non-validity (or not?)

And people will continue hijacking threads...
 474lakebreeze
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/21/2015 12:42:13 PM
I'd rather see a cake recipe than a bunch of silly emoticons put up by supposed adults. Its like looking at a 14 year old Facebook page.
 Cycling99
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/21/2015 12:55:46 PM
Ohhh another addict with clearly POOOOR decision making skills telling me what to do ...

UR IQ is not high enough for that, little lady!

Quit smoking, retire, get COPD quickly, and find a good spot... under the house?! Stay away from water: I believe it's bad for witches?!
 474lakebreeze
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/21/2015 1:09:10 PM
Wow. That's very mature. And you sure told me. I don't recall telling you what to do so if you read that somewhere in my post, I'd question your own IQ.
 DameWrite
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2015 8:51:02 PM
Sorry about your luck ..(or attitude?).

Remember, pointing 1 finger means 3 back at you.

Some of us use these forums to enlighten, learn, or just try to (not feel soooo much?). Some kill time they could use more wisely.

Are you a (new) non smoker? Just jaded?
 8inscrew
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/21/2015 9:16:21 PM
Laughs.... there are groups, like I mentioned before. They work together.

We are also inundated with schizophrenic trolls.
They make up a collection of proxy accounts, self admittedly.
They feel justified, because the big meanie delete crews hound them.
They also believe their own suet, tripe, haggis, chorizo whatever....
but fail to see the faults in their contribution.
Evidenced here in triplicate, already.

I think the best approach, is empathy and encouraging them. In the right direction.
Help them become better debaters. Possibly even master debaters.
We shouldn't just kick them. Let them borrow our hand. so to speak.

Or the type that feels superior.... I might come off this way. Not sure how I come off.
I seem to get ignored a lot.... *indignant snort under my breath, slow smile after
That might just be human nature.

They will, therefore, hijack any thread  with meaningless discussions of nothingness, like back at high school, when they peaked! They keep reminiscing their glorious high-school days and behaving just like back in the day. Difference is, they are adults now, and it's just creepy and sad now! 

History bears that out.

99..... don't you agree?

My point being.... I am not sure how "you people" read me.
I do try to make adjustments when offered helpful advise.

With a rational person or group, just letting them know might be enough.

Irrational folks need help. Not shunned.... 2€

Same time, when exactly is enough?
The deleting makes little rational rhythm and blues, as is.
I won't add to it. The jousting is more fulfilling.
And maybe it helps... like dame is talking about?

Oh sunny.... what is wrong with standing up to fight?
Fighting on the ground, to me, is undignified.
 8inscrew
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/21/2015 9:36:04 PM
I'm not editing the damn box again, sorry for the double post.

I was hoping it would show how to emoticon, by copy/paste..... the thread showing how
Is like pages. I read the whole damn thing and still can't do it.

Sorry if I appear illegible. Again...
We must'ave went to different kind of reading schools.

You and IG have me convinced I better run through the inspection station myself.
like back in colledge
^satire
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Just a general observation