Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The POPE      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 1
view profile
History
The POPEPage 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
It was great for the pope to come to the U.S.A. I really loved watching the event on TV. He said a lot of things that touched the heart and for people of all races to come to together help make a better world. I love this pope he is a great one. You can learn a lot from him if you listen to him. He has a big heart he is very kind and smart and powerful with a great sense of humor.
 cotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The POPE
Posted: 9/25/2015 7:35:03 PM
I'm not at all religious but I do get the feeling this Pope might be one of the most progressive we've ever had.
 Jo van
Msg: 3
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 5:26:46 AM
I'm not at all religious either.
I liked his speech about "greed" and the bit about "material possessions".

It's just a shame that he speaks from a guilded palace, in it's own 'tax haven' state.
The catholic church alone has hundreds of billions in assets. Most hidden behind 'trusts', hiding behind other 'trusts', deliberately contrived to hide their wealth.

The 'vatican' itself is a statement of "material possessions" , dripping in gold, and using only the most expensive marbles, and other materials. The same with all of their other 'cathedrals' and churches; massive, expensive, and opulent "bling-fests", exaggerated statements of power and wealth.

It's a shame that he make such statements while wearing the most elaborate 'ceremonial robes', woven with gold, and performs rituals with "priceless" golden artifacts studded with precious stones.

But it's the same shame with all the other religions too.
They're all charlatans, selling a product, the veracity of which, can't be established, until after you've actually died.
They don't need a large "complaints dept..
-because no-one's ever complained, yet.

It's a shame that he presides over an organisation which covered up child-rapes, and believed that the "reputation of the church was more important" than the continued abuse of yet more children.
-So the rapists were simply moved to 'new parishes', where they could rape, again, and again, and again.
The "other pope", the one who presided over the cover-ups, as "head of the inquisition", resigned before he could face any charges. It's all about "the reputation of the church".

It's a shame that they consider homosexuals to be 'sinners'.
They consider divorce to be a 'sin'.
They consider contraception or abortion to be a 'sin'. Even if the mother has been raped.
They would prefer millions more unnecessary deaths, with even more poverty, through 'over-population', and by the continuing spread of 'AIDS', rather than to simply use contraceptives.

It's a shame that they consider women to be "second-class-citizens", because of the primitive superstitious beliefs of people in the 'bronze-age', who were frightened about everything they didn't understand, including menstruation, which they believe to be "god's curse" on all women, because "Eve", the strumpet, "tempted Adam".

It's a shame they perpetuate these same primitive, 'neolithic' beliefs and superstitions, conceived thousands of years ago, in the contexts of beliefs in 'gods', and 'demons' and 'devils', and 'monsters', and a general ignorance of all the causes of 'natural disasters', into the 21st century..
-When we don't even believe the same stuff which we believed in, just 50 years ago.

It's a shame that the catholic church obstructs all and any medical or scientific advancements, like 'stem-cell' research, and previously, all forms of 'transplants'.
But that's probably because science and knowledge, both expose their lies.

The catholic church could end all world poverty tomorrow, if they simply 'liquidated' their assets, and gave all the money to the poor, instead of simply pontificating about it.

But they're a huge business themselves, and they'd rather invest all their money in the 'markets', and more 'real-estate' acquisitions, for their own future pensions, than to help the poor.

Apart from all of that, I'm sure he's a really nice guy.
 offwithherhead
Msg: 4
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 5:47:24 AM
I feel exactly like the poster above. I know region brings comfort to many and I respect that but Jo Van just spoke the gospel as well.

I did see a photo on FB of the Pope addressing Congress with the caption "Pope visiting the sick" which made me laugh.
 Walts
Msg: 5
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 6:56:08 AM
He is trying, I will give him that.

But, as the two above point out, many of us that understand the group he belongs to/represents is one of the most two faced, lying, long standing group of hypocrites, we can only take what he says with a grain of salt. I'm still trying to figure out how "they" let him have the job he has. I'm thinking just a PR move, in simple man terms.
 congupnaroad
Msg: 6
view profile
History
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 7:04:29 AM

It's a shame that the catholic church obstructs all and any medical or scientific advancements, like 'stem-cell' research, and previously, all forms of 'transplants'.
But that's probably because science and knowledge, both expose their lies

Can you please be a bit more specific on how the Catholic Church obstructs all and any medical or scientific advancements?

I'm hoping you give it your best shot, because I have a whole lot of evidence to prove you are full of shit!
 MIOAK
Msg: 7
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 7:18:47 AM
More Catholics have left the church than ever before. White geNOcide is why. Due to child molestation and anti European policy the Catholics have been reduced to being a 3rd world entity.
 overunity
Msg: 8
view profile
History
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 7:29:53 AM
Perpetuating outdated superstition(s) is a very lucrative BUSINESS.
 MIOAK
Msg: 9
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 7:37:18 AM
To truly understand Christianity , one must understand the purity of Christian Europe and the TRUE Isrealites. The TRUE Chosen and the genuine anti Christ. A White , Christian Homeland will offer the 12 Aryan Tribes a long awaited Ethno State. The current invasion will result in a stronger , Whiter , Christian Eastern Europe. Previous White Roman Catholics have already made the spritual schism to Orthodoxy or Christian Identity. FGRN.
 aj7125
Msg: 10
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 7:50:52 AM
OP, great thread! Yes, it is great to have the Pope visit The US. He is only the third Pope to visit and hopefully it isn't so long until the next time a Pope visits. Great to see all the coverage.
 Maleman999
Msg: 11
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 8:25:55 AM
I find it a bit strange that if a leader of another country came to the U.S. and went to Washington to discuss treaties and policies with the prez that affects the U.S. or the rest of the world, it gets mediocre press coverage. But if Popey Papa shows up, it's treated like s super-human event. When the pope gave a speech about problems with global warming or whatever the designated world crisis of the week is, how did that solve any problems? Why didn't he condemn the U.S. and other western countries for invading nations and killing thousands of people? It makes it seem like war and killing is acceptable behavior to the church. I guess the church feels only abortion is murder. Did he reveal anything that's a shock and surprise to the minions? He would make a good snake oil salesman at a carnival.
 Walts
Msg: 12
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 9:18:07 AM

I love the higher aspects of the religion, and yes they are wealthy, but they actually do so much for the poor that does not get media coverage
And give so much

During the war, many gave refuge to those who most needed it
And do tireless , endless work with poverty

Of course like anything they get attacked as that is the nature of the beast

Can I suggest you go read, and yes it's a long read, their very own doctrine, especially amongst their "leaders". Then I will also suggest to go back and read everything that has been exposed about what they have "hidden" from the general populace. After that, go into your mind and question what hasn't yet been exposed.

My family once "believed", and were staunch believers of the catholic upbringing. That was until my father, who was once the head of a catholic school board, "uncovered" what was going on within his own school board, and who was hiding what. These people were in charge of our children, and their education, and yet they preyed on their innocence, and vulnerability. When my father exposed the past history, he made sure his knowledge was shared. He then left his post, a little too early I have always thought. He once told me he just couldn't walk amongst the jackals anymore. The lack of accountability and arrogance within was, and still is, quite scarey. It's funny how humans "use" a "belief" to condone their own criminal acts.

Do not ever forget, the "pope" is a "human".
 purplerider1200
Msg: 13
view profile
History
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 9:52:22 AM
From what I know about the catholic church, they behave rather oddly. Ask any staunch catholic, and they will swear that John-Paul was a better pope. They claim poverty, yet have money out the ying-yang. Ever see a priest drive a rust bucket car?

This reminds me of a parish in Missouri. Instead of the pastor handling the finances, this one had a board. This board, through thriftiness, and fundraising, managed to pay for everything. This church built up a tidy little nest egg of several million dollars. The board was asked to turn over their money to the diocese. They refused. So, the diocese took away their pastor. Still they refused to give away their money The diocese had tried to take away everything from them to force them to pay (including trying to evict them from their property)- yet they still won't fork over their money.

I hope they stuck to their guns, and kept it.
 deetristate
Msg: 14
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 10:15:21 AM
Neither religion nor atheism should be confused with some if the hostile, small-minded, arrogant people who claim to be a part of it.
 Jo van
Msg: 15
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 10:50:29 AM

Can you please be a bit more specific on how the Catholic Church obstructs all and any medical or scientific advancements?

They have a very long history, going all the way back to Copernicus and Galileo.
Both abortion and contraception are medical scientific advances, and they have opposed both.
As have they, stem-cell research.

Darwin "sat-on" his "On The Origins of Species" for almost 20 years, because he didn't want to contradict religious 'beliefs'. .
And when he did publish, it got the predictable reaction from various churches.

Religions refused to believe in evolution, or that the world is billions of years old, despite all the evidence.

Until about 50 years ago, people who were mentally ill were deemed to be "possessed", and it was far more likely that a priest would be called, than a doctor. Churches had a thriving "trade" in performing "exorcisms".

-You don't hear about it so much these days (Although it still goes on, in poorly educated countries)
In fact you don't hear religions talking about "possessions" and "demons" so much, at all, because they've realised that they just look silly.
But their "holy" books are still full of such primitive beliefs, and are said to be "the truth", when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

Maybe "All advancements" was a bit of a rhetorical stretch, but...
Religions are, by their nature, 'backward-looking', wishing to perpetuate the superstitious beliefs of the past, to keep themselves in "work".

I note that this was the only part of my post you felt able to 'challenge'.

I think all religions, which are basically businesses, (though they claim otherwise) should be subject to the same 'laws' which apply to any other business:
If you make claims (about your product), you must first show the evidence which supports those claims.
If you can't do that, then it's "false advertising", and they should be prosecuted.
It's a scam.
hth
 Jo van
Msg: 16
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 11:04:47 AM

No actually they had to have all manner of psychological checks and things before an exorcism was performed
And that is no longer allowed anyway:)))

And after all these "scientific" sounding, "psychological checks and things " were performed, they were still 'diagnosed' to need the "demons" driving out?

It's just a pity that the "psychological checks and things " weren't performed on all those self-appointed "exorcist priests".

It's no longer "allowed" now, (in most civilised countries) because it's bollocks. [/Med. Term]

But then, no doubt you'll be trying to tell me there's "truth" in "horoscopes" too...?
Have a nice evening.
 Jo van
Msg: 17
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 11:55:37 AM

To me it doesn't matter what people believe~ it's up to them
Fact it matters so badly to others what other people choose to believe or not believe is part of problem in the world~ it's called mass judgement calls on others lives:)))

How lovely.

It might have escaped your notice, but there's about 4 million people currently running away from people with "religious beliefs".
Is that "part of the problem"..? Is that me making a "mass judgement"..?
Should we "live and let live" about that, even if they're murdering people?

The problem with religious people, is that they're so "sure" about what "god" really, really wants, (despite several differing versions) that they insist on imposing their ridiculous "rules" on everyone else too. Believers and non-believers alike.
It starts with harmless things, like Sunday opening, modest clothes, censorship, etc, and then progresses to decapitations, stonings and 'crucifictions'.

There's currently a teenager in Saudi Arabia, one of the 'West's' biggest "allies", who has been sentenced to both "crucifiction" and beheading. (Though I'm not sure which order they plan to do this in)
We certainly take the "live and let live" view with Saudi Arabia's barbaric regime.
They have beheaded more people than ISIS!
And they don't let ladies drive.

Ps I don't believe in horoscopes ~ but ring of truth most probably in astrology

Yeah....
Erm.. How can I put this......?

A horoscope is an astrological chart or diagram

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horoscope

Try science instead. There's always evidence involved.
Lovely to talk to you.
 offwithherhead
Msg: 18
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 11:59:16 AM
I think some are confused as to the difference between the Church, the Pope and the "people".

The faithful, the believers...I get that. I understand faith and believing in a god. Many millions believe in their god or a god or a bunch of gods. These are the ones doing the work and raising money for the poor and disadvantaged...after the Church has been paid.

The Catholic Church, well, I watched a few documentaries on their finances, their own bank and how they run things and they are their own little mafia or band of crooks. The hide it well and many who where collars are wealthy. Greed.

As for what the Church did during the war, they may have done some good work in England, not so much in other countries. This is well documented.

The Pope is just the CEO of the corporation. He's just a man and yes, he seems to be a little more enlightened than those in the past but there have been no changes in the Church that are noticeable. Priests still remain celibate, only men can be priests, women take the subordinate roll and no birth control. The abuse scandals have not been fully addressed and apparently priests can be gay but you can't.

Jesus didn't need a Chapel or a Basillica or his own country to spread the word. Somehow the Catholic Church needs buildings, towers, gold, paintings and wealth beyond means to spread the gospel....with a little lying, cheating, stealing and corruption thrown in. WWJD?
 Maleman999
Msg: 19
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 12:32:48 PM
The pope's trip to the U.S. was a failure. He never got to meet Justin Bieber or the Kardashians. Maybe he'll tweet them later.
 deetristate
Msg: 20
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 12:33:51 PM
""The abuse scandals have not been fully addressed and apparently priest""

Nothing will ever be enough for you people who hate religion and the Church.

You are not required to contribute to the catholic church. You are not required to ordain a priest or take communion.

If people want to, let them.

Hating religion and the people who practice it, and looking down your noses at them, is just another "cool" "in" thing. That makes no sense whatsoever.
 offwithherhead
Msg: 21
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 12:40:11 PM
So is blindly following, not questioning and burying your head in the sand the "cool" thing to do?

No where in here has anyone said "quit going to church you idiots". Quashing discussion makes no sense either.
 Walts
Msg: 22
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 1:03:23 PM

Nothing will ever be enough for you people who hate religion and the Church.

Really? Where is the "hate"? How many times do we hear this as part of the discussion of a "faith", religion, or whatever? Is that all ya got? Because people "question" why is that they are labelled "haters"? Explain please. Because I question why others will follow something, despite the leaders of this something do, which includes conclusive evidence you and a lot of others will you use the lame, and baseless label of "haters"?????

The structure and actions of the Catholic history can easily be defined as "criminal". Or are you one of the many that believes or thinks that any "good" outweighs any "bad"? The voice of those that have this "faith" SHOULD be the ones showing their displeasure of the antics and actions within their group!!!! No????? I believe this should be the action of ANY members of ANY group, which includes police, union members, those of "faith" of whatever religion, etc. But, because "outsiders", we can't have a say???? A voice?

"Groups" of many kind have used this tactic that you have just used. It's weak at best. Silencing those that disagree can be defined as what? You tell me. Just because I don't "believe" doesn't mean I will not raise my voice. You can define it as "hate" if you want. I call it voicing my displeasure of some people's actions, especially when they hide behind "faith".

This pope, despite his positives, has yet to publicly voice his displeasure of the history of the group of which he belongs, and now "leads". Until then, he is just a puppet of those that got him to were he is. Yes, the job in front of him is not an easy one but, he has only gained a tad of my respect. Yes, it is past history but, to correct that history you have to admit it actually happened. So far, the catholic church has only admitted to bits and pieces. If they actually believe in what they preached, they would have come "clean" a longgggggggggg time ago.

They haven't.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 23
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 3:48:29 PM
Walt says:

"My family once "believed", and were staunch believers of the catholic upbringing. That was until my father, who was once the head of a catholic school board, "uncovered" what was going on within his own school board, and who was hiding what. These people were in charge of our children, and their education, and yet they preyed on their innocence, and vulnerability. "

Though I understand how this ^ could produce ill feelings and disdain; but it is important to see through your own fallacy. Unless you can show us where it says in Catholic doctrine that it is fully permissible to prey innocent children, then you have little to stand on in terms of what you harbor! I am not an expert on Catholic doctrine, so the onus is on you to furnish this information. If you cannot provide this proof, then you cannot indict Catholicism for the actions of their rogue practitioners; you can however, hold them responsible for covering it up as they've done (and for which they've been exposed).

This is akin to condemning Democracy because some of its players (corrupt politicians) do not play by the rules, and often don't get properly penalized when they are caught!

What is equally fallacious, is in you blaming the current papacy for what has been perpetrated on someone else's watch; as though nothing has been done to safeguard the safety of those vulnerable to such abuses.

self righteousness isn't just reserved for religious people:

^ this is true
 Walts
Msg: 24
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 3:50:06 PM

And now calling for all the followers of the faith to
Apologise for things they were not privy to knowing in way your father was~

I'm not asking anyone to "apologize". Those types of "apologetic" words make me throw up. What would be really cool is for the "followers" to be making noise, no matter how strong their "faith".

My father stood in a court room and physically pointed to a archbishop and point blank call him a piece of shiat for what the man didn't do to his "priests" after finding out what they did to children they were suppose to be "teaching". That's what is called exposure. It's up to the followers to act on such knowledge.

"Stuff" has been exposed everywhere. We here in Canada KNOW of what our Catholic "men and women"did to our First Nations children. But, there is still an ongoing battle just on that ONE topic, despite the knowledge.

A catholic will preach "forgiveness" but looks down on those that step out of line according to the "book". ANY place of "faith" should welcome anyone and everyone. The Catholic church does not unless you "convert". They also preach about their priests and nuns being "celebate". Do we need to really go on?

Followers should be ripping into those that are doing the "preaching". Do you hear any ripping?

Anyone can believe anything, correct? And we are to let them do so, correct?

Uh, huh.
 congupnaroad
Msg: 25
view profile
History
The POPE
Posted: 9/26/2015 4:27:58 PM

They have a very long history, going all the way back to Copernicus and Galileo.
Both abortion and contraception are medical scientific advances, and they have opposed both.
As have they, stem-cell research

I predicted you would wheel out Copernicus and Galileo. The Catholics did not initially care about the book Copernicus published promoting his heliocentric theory, they actually agreed with it.They were forced to ban it because of a wave of protest from the Protestants. Then Galileo against the orders of the Pope published his book and he was punished. Back then they couldn't prove that the Earth revolved around the Sun.

Newton proved it 100 years later and he proved that both Copernicus and Galileo were wrong about the Sun being Stationary.

How are abortion and contraception medical scientific advances? Humans have been practicing both for thousands of years. Before Humans worked out how to perform abortions they practiced infanticide. The Catholics thought that was abhorrent and that is why they established orphanages all over Europe. So what if the Catholics oppose abortion and contraception anyway, they have their reasons for that, doesn't stop either happening does it?

The Catholic Church is not the only institution that opposes embryonic stem cell research. In fact many countries have banned it because the scientists themselves have deemed it unethical and science has advanced enough to warrant it unnecessary.

Darwin "sat-on" his "On The Origins of Species" for almost 20 years, because he didn't want to contradict religious 'beliefs'. .
And when he did publish, it got the predictable reaction from various churches

Darwin was not the first scientist to promote evolution. Anyway the Catholics believe evolution is true. He never "sat-on" the Origin of Species, he was researching it.

Religions refused to believe in evolution, or that the world is billions of years old, despite all the evidence

Yeah they are called Creationists or biblical literalists. Augustine worked out 500 years ago that Genesis could not possibly be literally true.

Did you know that a Catholic priest first promoted the theory that eventually became the Big Bang theory and initially he was scoffed at?

Until about 50 years ago, people who were mentally ill were deemed to be "possessed", and it was far more likely that a priest would be called, than a doctor. Churches had a thriving "trade" in performing "exorcisms".

-You don't hear about it so much these days (Although it still goes on, in poorly educated countries)
In fact you don't hear religions talking about "possessions" and "demons" so much, at all, because they've realised that they just look silly.
But their "holy" books are still full of such primitive beliefs, and are said to be "the truth", when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth

Did you believe everything that The Exorcist movie promoted?

Maybe "All advancements" was a bit of a rhetorical stretch, but...

Nice bit of back pedalling there!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The POPE