Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Where are all the Aging Stoners?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LucidTheory
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Where are all the Aging Stoners? Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
All the drugheads are under 40, where are the serious and aging stoners? Did they trade it all for a suit and tie and corporate conformity?

(and POF says this message is too short so here's some additional fodder)

I saw one profile of of a 52 year old that didn't say much beyond being a hedonist in pursuit of of sex, drugs, and a good time. I can't say I'm looking for anything deeper than that, just broader. Tommy Chong is the epitome of the ultimate stoner and I am a 'fan,' but I'm also a fan because he seems like more than just a stoner. I like hippies. They seem liberal, open-minded, anti-racist, social activist, laid back, and cool.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 2
Where are all the Aging Stoners?
Posted: 10/10/2015 9:52:38 PM
My sister just moved, so I don't have her new address. She is newly retired from being a teacher (and getting the math puzzlers on Facebook wrong).
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/10/2015 10:14:21 PM
My joke is I majored in marijuana at the University of Michigan. At age 23, I gave up smoking marijuana and talking illegal drugs. I needed a clear head and body, while in graduate school and working as a YMCA program director.

Even though marijuana is legal in Washington State, it doesn't interest me. I never reacted well to marijuana. It made me hyper. And I'm a high energy person. My stoner friends would lie around, eating everything not nailed down, saying, "Wow, man. Look at Kathy go."

You might consider moving to Colorado.
 sealady111
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/11/2015 1:35:30 AM
Maybe they are all dead???
 StarClassic
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/11/2015 2:36:35 AM
I view drugs the same as booze.
Life just doesn't frighten me enough to need to hide from it.
With that said, I do enjoy an occasional beer or black Russian. The bottom drawer of my fridge still has what's left, nine bottles, of a 12 pack of Warsteiner I bought over a month ago.

Hippies? EWwwwww! You must associate with a different breed of hippies.
Most I've ever been anywhere near had a certain, shall we say, odor, about them.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2015 3:11:51 AM
I see lots of profiles that say"420 friendly" so they are on POF. As for me, allergic to it.
 DrKimball
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/11/2015 6:01:08 AM
Just a reminder that 420 is an herb . I is only an Rx due to gubmint edict.

Oh, yes , OP , some of us using this herb are fiscally conservative and racially aware.
 ohenryx
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2015 8:40:43 AM
Interesting conversation. I wish we had more of these, and fewer cat fights here on the forums.

I was a hippy, back in the day. I had some seriously long hair, for several years, which gave me a great appreciation for how much work it is to take care of really long hair. I doubt too many women have had to deal with trying to clean engine oil or transmission fluid out of their hair, though. I’m sure a few, just not many. But I digress…

Having been a hippy myself, in the old days, when I see a woman’s profile where she mentions such things, I used to think that might be a good match. That turns out not to be the case, though. Sure, we are a good match politically, but not in life style. I get up and go to work every day, I own my own house and take care of it, and my cars, in general I am an upstanding member of society. Most people who think of themselves as hippies really aren’t. Upstanding, that is.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2015 8:54:11 AM
?? What exactly IS a "serious and aging stoner"??

I ask because my own idea of what the term "stoner" refers to, precludes the person being "serious" about anything. A bit like asking where all the serious and aging alcoholics are, really.

If you mean instead, the purely political version of a "stoner," that is, the very serious and deep-thinking "hippies" of the sixties, who worked and fought for individual liberty and so on, that's a different matter. People like that who I knew, were serious about HOW they used Marijuana, and were similar to the people who have organized high-brow liquor cabinets, from which they selectively enjoy measured quantities of alcohol for very specific circumstances.

They are still around, but because they ARE genuinely serious about it all, they wont be seen announcing silly things like that they are "420 friendly," as though it's an accomplishment to get stoned.
 Like2dance
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2015 8:54:47 AM
Many aged as long as their bodies could sustain the chemical assaults before their organs gave out and they died. Many are no doubt in prison, locked up in nut houses or homeless on the streets if they did not quit or cut back on their substance abuse.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/11/2015 10:13:18 AM
I recently met a 59 year-old male schoolteacher who spent 15 years on a hippie commune. "I lived on $3,000 per year," he said. He traveled widely throughout the world in those days, and did many walking journeys in third world countries. An interesting man. Now he is teaching fourth grade. He wrote in his profile on another dating website:

"My twenties and early thirties were spent as a hippie “back to the lander” living first in a transient commune and later in close knit communities of like minded friends. I learned to survive and thrive with few resources on raw land and had one hell of a good time. I made money doing orchard work, irrigation construction, tree planting, and salmon cannery work. I gleaned and grew food and built homes of variable quality, from plastic and cardboard huts to a cozy well crafted earth lodge, with whatever I could scrounge. In my mid thirties I came down from the mountain and went to college. Then I started teaching fourth grade and helped raise 3 boys."

Many people would say he wasted his life for 15 years because they cannot relate to his experience. Our experiences make us who we are. It was fascinating to hear his story.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/11/2015 1:19:17 PM
I think it's where you live OP.

I live in Vancouver - or Vansterdam if you will. I don't like pot because I don't have fun and I get a five day hangover. But a significant minority of older, respectable people smoke daily. Probably half of the doctors, lawyers, police officers, accountants, plumbers, business owners, mayors, etc. smoke occasionally.
 junipermoon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2015 1:31:27 PM
well, i'm an old hippie, but not a stoner. i never really got into it, although i have no problem with those who do.

but i've done all the rest of it ~ communal living, selling dyes in the parking lot at dead shows, activism, vegetarianism, drumming and so on.
 high-ground
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2015 4:16:56 PM
Literate_Hiker
Good to see you back, but I find it hard that your 59 old friend spent 15 years in a hippie commune. He would have been born in 1956, and been 9 years old in 1965, add 15 and its 1980 well into the hard rock era. Not saying it can't be true, but very unlikely. You have more info?

Halftime
Your the 1st person I heard of that experienced a 5-day handover from pot. In fact I never heard anyone say they ever had a hangover. Usually just wake up to a new day.

Junipermoon
I like the roses, but the math doesn't add up. The hippie generation was over by time you were 14. For a few years I lived near Indian Caverns and commuted to school, and knew the area well.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/11/2015 4:53:06 PM
I just have really low energy. It's worst on the day after, but it takes 5 days to get back to normal.

I don't think anyone joins a commune at 24 - seems more like something you do at 17 - 20.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/11/2015 5:06:51 PM

Good to see you back, but I find it hard that your 59 old friend spent 15 years in a hippie commune. He would have been born in 1956, and been 9 years old in 1965, add 15 and its 1980 well into the hard rock era. Not saying it can't be true, but very unlikely. You have more info?

I believe what he told me.

At age 18, he left San Francisco and joined a hippie commune on the land of some older friends, in the mountains of remote, northern Okanogan County, WA. This area is known for: back-to the-land hippies, mountain men, ranchers, hermit veterans, and paranoid gun nuts building fortresses to defend their land when civilization crumbles. Or so they believe. I have met a few of them.

At age 35, he started college.
Since graduating from college he has been a schoolteacher.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/11/2015 5:09:43 PM

where are the serious and aging stoners?

Have you checked your local nursing homes? Oh, is Willie Nelson still alive :)
 8inscrew
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/11/2015 7:39:01 PM
Yes he is still alive and kicking.

He's an old hippy and he don't know what to do
Should he hang onto the old or should he grab on to the new...

I'm still trying real hard to adjust. Too.
But I'm 38.

I used to get real high. Not so much anymore.
There are no young conservatives. I mean consequences.
Plus, advances in micro biological administration have me too high to speak.
Brown water please..... just enough pitchers to set us right.

If you always do
What yous always did,,,
i miss cheap shots.

Ì wish my communication skills were better.
 8inscrew
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/11/2015 7:43:06 PM
Always get. What yóu alwzys got.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/11/2015 9:56:07 PM

He would have been born in 1956, and been 9 years old in 1965, add 15 and its 1980 well into the hard rock era.
Hippie communes existed in the '80's and are thriving today in many parts of the US and overseas so I'm not sure what your math calculations prove.

Was a major stoner.
I'm still a Hippie.
Went to college, always bathed regularly, never had group sex, didn't care for The Grateful Dead....not all stereotypes are true.
 Seki1949
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2015 12:34:58 AM
Recommend 'The Other One' on Netflex; some people have always ran away to join the circus. 300 hundred years young men ran away to go to sea.

My First Show: 02/1970
My Last Show: 06/1995

My Total Shows: about 125

Upon discovery people use to say to me: "But you look so normal?"
It was the Best Disguise!
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/12/2015 8:37:01 AM
Come to my corner of LA, we have all of them.

We have a huge issue up here in the Foothills with drugs. We have a growing transient population who refuse help and want to live in the wash with their tents, stolen generators and stolen furniture they drag in. Many do drugs and most of them are alcoholics. We have plenty of 60-70 year old drunks, meth heads and pot smokers, although it's mostly meth. They are mixed in with the younger scumbags who join with them, steal from our yards and homes, and set up encampments on the sidewalks near by home.

Come and get them, if you're interested in older stoners..men and women alike, wandering around screaming at the air, throwing garbage all over, sleeping in the park and shooting up in public.

Come pick 'em all up.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/12/2015 9:28:31 AM
Even in my 20s I found stoned and drunk people boring. Still do. I enjoy engaging conversation and witty repartee.

A former boyfriend routinely relaxed in a hot bath after work with a glass of Glenlivet scotch. After Willy had a drink or two, I challenged him to Scrabble. Normally Willy was smart and articulate with an impressive vocabulary. But after he had a couple of drinks, I soundly beat him in Scrabble (700 to 125).

"That's not fair!" Willy protested. "I was in a weakened condition."

"You have to strike when your opponent is at his weakest," I replied and laughed.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/12/2015 10:06:12 AM
VolkanoKing,

That sounds terrible and scary. I wonder what the police can do to help you and your neighbors.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/12/2015 10:24:38 AM

I wish we had more of these, and fewer cat fights here on the forums.

Now just a gosh darn sec here, Sir Henry. I know for fact I have not had a fight with a cat, in a realllly long time. So there!

?? What exactly IS a "serious and aging stoner"??

GOOD question!

hip·pie
ˈhipē/Submit
noun
(especially in the 1960s) a person of unconventional appearance, typically having long hair and wearing beads, associated with a subculture involving a rejection of conventional values and the taking of hallucinogenic drugs.
synonyms: flower child, Bohemian, beatnik, long-hair, free spirit, nonconformist, dropout
"yesterday's hippies are today's ad execs"
adjective
of or relating to hippies or the subculture associated with them.
"he epitomized the hippie biker"

Suggested reading

http://www.britannica.com/topic/hippie
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hippie

hip·pie also hip·py (hĭp′ē)
n. pl. hip·pies
A member of a counterculture originating in the United States in the 1960s, typically characterized by unconventional dress and behavior, communal or transient lifestyles, opposition to war, and liberal attitudes toward sexuality and the use of marijuana and psychedelic drugs.
[From hip.]

LOL The answer.
Most likely they are older than 60, they easily could be retired, traveling the country side in an RV or living on a secluded island.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Where are all the Aging Stoners?